The left-back market…

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Why wouldn’t Maguire desire another season fighting for place? He rejected last summer offer to stay when Varane is still in the club. Now Varane is going to leave and Maguire has been getting lot of minutes this season in comparison to last season. You added up all of those, it’s enough to convince himself that he will be happy to collect his 200k pw wages and he will think that this time will be more chance to play now that Varane is leaving. I think Lindelof will need to be sold because he will be out of contract, Varane will leave because he doesn’t want to lower his wages, while Maguire will stay because no one can afford his wages and the club will trigger the one year extension in January.
ETH doesnt fancy him. Say He lands a cb who hardly gets injured to play rcb, and Martinez doesn't have a season of freak injury again. Plus Lindeloff is replaced, Maguire's minutes evaporate. I'm unconvinced he'd gladly take the role Evans has had this season as mere emergency filler.

Oranges038

Ait Nouri looks a good player, always impressed with him everytime I watch Wolves.

In the PL you could look at Doughty, Ait Nouri or Robinson or Estupinan as potential options.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
ETH doesnt fancy him. Say He lands a cb who hardly gets injured to play rcb, and Martinez doesn't have a season of freak injury again. Plus Lindeloff is replaced, Maguire's minutes evaporate. I'm unconvinced he'd gladly take the role Evans has had this season as mere emergency filler.
Added to the fact that this season’s appearances have already taken him to this summer’s international tournament. There won’t be another for a couple of years so he may feel he has no international place to fight for after this summer’s Euros. He will probably be out of the squad within two years anyway.

Added to the fact that this season’s appearances have already taken him to this summer’s international tournament. There won’t be another for a couple of years so he may feel he has no international place to fight for after this summer’s Euros. He will probably be out of the squad within two years anyway.
Good point. It will be interesting to see what pans out in the summer window

Todd

Shaw is one of our best players when fit, and we have so many other needs to fill that I don't think we can prioritize LB this summer.

I think he should be viewed as our future LCB and Martinez should be transitioned to a #6

United888

Your wish is unrealistically IMO. ETH didn’t fancy him last season yet he chose to stay this summer. There is no reason why should Maguire thinks that he can’t fight for his place again this summer after getting lot of minutes this season. He will think new CB might need more time to adapt to new club or May be even new league if we are signing someone outside PL. He will also think that Martinez can still get lot of injuries after what happened this season. Maguire will gladly wait for his opportunity by waiting and taking 200k pw cash.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ait Nouri looks a good player, always impressed with him everytime I watch Wolves.

In the PL you could look at Doughty, Ait Nouri or Robinson or Estupinan as potential options.
The first two definitely look good. Not so sure about Robinson and Estu though.

Robinson actually might be decent, just poor end product.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Your wish is unrealistically IMO. ETH didn’t fancy him last season yet he chose to stay this summer. There is no reason why should Maguire thinks that he can’t fight for his place again this summer after getting lot of minutes this season. He will think new CB might need more time to adapt to new club or May be even new league if we are signing someone outside PL. He will also think that Martinez can still get lot of injuries after what happened this season. Maguire will gladly wait for his opportunity by waiting and taking 200k pw cash.
To be fair, just because Maguire didn’t want to go to West Ham doesn’t mean he wouldn’t want to leave. His stock was low last summer, and has risen now. The options available to him may be more appealing this time around.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Didn't realise Doughty was out of contract. He's definitely getting a nice move.
He gives 100% and gets up and down the left well but he has a major issue staying onside, lost count of times I've watched Luton and he's been flagged for not timing his run so that would be a major attack killer.

I think if he hadn't suffered an ACL you'd have looked at someone like Rico Henry. Mid 20s and good amount of premier league experience now, can play as LWB or in a back 4 no problem. Criminal he hasn't been capped by England.

KD6-3.7

Just get somebody in who's at least available for more than half a season.

Need to ship off Luke Shaw.

He gives 100% and gets up and down the left well but he has a major issue staying onside, lost count of times I've watched Luton and he's been flagged for not timing his run so that would be a major attack killer.

TBF he plays like a winger for Luton. I doubt he'd have that issue in a team using a back four

Lee565

I believe in building from the back so a new left back is definitely a priority along with a new cb,gk and defensive midfielder

H10

Huseyin 10
Ferdi Kadioglu from Fenerbahce. will cost around 30/35m though.

United888

To be fair, just because Maguire didn’t want to go to West Ham doesn’t mean he wouldn’t want to leave. His stock was low last summer, and has risen now. The options available to him may be more appealing this time around.
I hope you are right.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Shaw is one of our best players when fit, and we have so many other needs to fill that I don't think we can prioritize LB this summer.

I think he should be viewed as our future LCB and Martinez should be transitioned to a #6
He's never fit though, and neither is his backup. I can't think of a bigger priority than filling a position that has spent an entire season being vacant.

United888

We tend to play 3223 or 2323 structure.

Onana
Varane Martinez
Dalot Casemiro Shaw
Mainoo Bruno
Garnacho Hojlund Rashford​

If we sign two CB with pace, one right footed and one left footed, I think we will still be fine without signing left back.

Onana
Todibo Branthwaite
Dalot DM Martinez
Mainoo CM
Garnacho Hojlund LW​

daba

Not a surprise but A. Davies basically confirmed to be signing for Madrid. Their team is guna be ridiculous next season.

G-manc

He's never fit though, and neither is his backup. I can't think of a bigger priority than filling a position that has spent an entire season being vacant.
This.

I’d keep Shaw, especially as he can cover LCB, he just needs some (fit) competition.

I’ve not seen anything in Malacia to think he’s a solution even when available.

Pughnichi

I can’t see us signing any fullbacks.

shaw, Malacia and Dalot covers lb
AWB and Dalot between them cover rb

I’m not suggesting I want this to happen. But rather if they can get a good preseason under them…and keep fit they are all reasonable players.

there just too many problems elsewhere.

cb. Potentially 2. cdm. mc and sc are all more pressing imo. given the Rashford situation a new Inside fwd would be ideal as well ahead of fullbacks

davisjw

Fulham's Antonee Robinson stands out as the type of LB we want:
  • 5 assists this season in the league, so he's active offensively
  • Very athletic, fast with high stamina
  • Rarely injured
  • Already proven in the EPL
  • Not a youth player but still young (25, I think)
  • Not as expensive as some names thrown out
  • Has high marks for the US as well, and some goals
Reminds me a bit of Evra.

aeh1991

I can’t see us signing any fullbacks.

shaw, Malacia and Dalot covers lb
AWB and Dalot between them cover rb

I’m not suggesting I want this to happen. But rather if they can get a good preseason under them…and keep fit they are all reasonable players.

there just too many problems elsewhere.

cb. Potentially 2. cdm. mc and sc are all more pressing imo. given the Rashford situation a new Inside fwd would be ideal as well ahead of fullbacks
Same was said before this season and look where we are now. LB is a priority

joedirt87

a fullback that can play either side at the very least since Dalot is the only one that isn't made of glass at this time. We really need a RB and a LB.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I would genuinely look at offers for shaw if there was any, as good as he can be this level of unavailability should simply unacceptable for any top club.

He should have some value still as he can be pretty good when not injured.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Not a surprise but A. Davies basically confirmed to be signing for Madrid. Their team is guna be ridiculous next season.
But you don’t need top quality players to play top quality football you should just be able to coach them - The CAF

Highfather_24

Our priority should be CB, RB, midfield and attack, so yeah it makes complete sense that United would target a LB first. Its the United way.

Rossa

He's never fit and cannot be relied upon. Him being one of our best players is an indictment on where we are. Not good enough. Sell him. Why would you move our best CB to a position he's not as good at? Or move Shaw into a position he is not as good at?

Rossa

Our priority should be CB, RB, midfield and attack, so yeah it makes complete sense that United would target a LB first. Its the United way.
Have you seen our LB options? One is a perma-crock, the other one, Malacia, isn't good enough.

Dalot is actually our best fullback by some distance at this point. LB is a massive concern moving forwards.

Rossa

I swear they are reading the Caf opinions
No wonder they are taking a scattergun approach every season. Shaw is the best player in the world - MUST be sold. Bruno is the worst player in United history - greatest attacking midfielder in the world. Rashford is dogshite and must be sold - world class potential.

They need to stop reading the CAF, move over to RAWK, then accordingly seel 80% of our players and move on.

Highfather_24

Have you seen our LB options? One is a perma-crock, the other one, Malacia, isn't good enough.

Dalot is actually our best fullback by some distance at this point. LB is a massive concern moving forwards.
Shaw has injury problems sure, Malacia was very competent replacement when we got him last season, many were praising him. Nobody knows how's he gonna recover from the injury though, so that makes the Fernandez transfer even more weirder.

But Shaw is much much better than Dalot/AWB, and if Shaw is fit, our LB is locked down, while both Dalot/AWB are just average players. We have far bigger problems than a backup to a injury prone good LB.

Pughnichi

Same was said before this season and look where we are now. LB is a priority
It was…I agree. But none of us know the circumstances of both players. Can they both get back to good fitness? if the club trusts that Shaw and Malacia injuries aren’t long term, I just don’t see us buying a 3rd lb.

Shaw seems to be lots of niggles - not helped by being played constantly. And the niggles could be helped if Malacia can play a supporting role.

You don’t buy a back up lb in Malacia expecting him to be out for the full season.

Does seem odd that we haven’t heard much about him…but it just about sums up our season with injuries. We keep getting them in key areas that hurt us.

Highfather_24

Oh yeah because left back is in such great shape. We need additions everywhere.
Not in great shape no, but we have to prioritise since we dont have unlimited money. We made the same mistake last season when we bought an AM when we needed CMs, and didnt get more defenders and instead went for GK(which was probably lower in the priority order).

Rossa

Shaw has injury problems sure, Malacia was very competent replacement when we got him last season, many were praising him. Nobody knows how's he gonna recover from the injury though, so that makes the Fernandez transfer even more weirder.

But Shaw is much much better than Dalot/AWB, and if Shaw is fit, our LB is locked down, while both Dalot/AWB are just average players. We have far bigger problems than a backup to a injury prone good LB.
Shaw has epitomised inconsistency whilst at United. He's had patches where he has been class, but then he's injured again, comes back slightly unfit, plays himself into form, gets injured - rinse and repeat. That makes him not good enough. Sell him. What he offers to the team over the course of a season is far less than what Dalot offers because Shaw is unable to stay fit, whereas Dalot has actually been one of our better performers this season, which I wouldn't have thought at the start of the season.

Shaw isn't fit, so the LB position isn't locked down. He should have been sold long ago. Not being able to have a consistent performer at LB has been a concern for a long time.

Remember the geese

Not in great shape no, but we have to prioritise since we dont have unlimited money. We made the same mistake last season when we bought an AM when we needed CMs, and didnt get more defenders and instead went for GK(which was probably lower in the priority order).
You just have to fix as many holes as you can. Left back is a priority, but one of many. We might be able to address it in the summer, or we might not. We definitely need a top left back though because Shaw cannot be relied upon.