The left-back market…

aeh1991

I'm pretty sure Real would be open to sell one of Fran Garcia or Miguel Gutierrez (they could buy him back with their option). After Theo, these two would be my favorite options. If we go one level below, which I don't hope, Estupinan, Kadioglu or Raum could be interesting. Also, too bad Lewis Hall is joining NUFC for relatively cheap..

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’ve always seen a potential Alphonso Davies conversion in Dwight McNeill personally, something about how he plays LW that shows me that he could be a powerful running and crossing full-back. I’m not sure if it isn’t too late for him to make the switch now, but from his Burnley days I thought he could be a top left-back.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Grimaldo from Bayer Leverkusen is maybe the best left wing back out there. He is scoring a lot and have many assist too.

Or i am considering Luton's wingback in Doughty. Will cost lesser than Grimaldo. To save money for others positions

United have 2 defensive left back in Shaw and Malacia. To play proactive dominate football.

United simply need more attacking and offensive left wing back like Grimaldo or low budget Doughty.

But again. I am still watching and considering Doughty. 8-9 assist for bottom team in Luton. You really deserve come credit for that.
Nice post.
Grimaldo is very unique though. Before Bayer he was a bonafide proper left back. Surpriingly Solid defensively and pretty goodin attack. A reason why pre broke Barca had ear marked him to replaced Jordi Alba at one point. Wing back seems to have released him from the leash even more attacking wise. It's a pity he is 28. I think only Guitierrez at Girona, who used to operate at fullback as he came through at Real is similar.

As for Doughty, he reminds me a lot of Robertson when he was a wing back at hull city before Klopp changed his role at Pool. The question was could he cut it as an attacking fullback in a back 4. IMO It's possible Doughty could make that adjustment. His ground duels are decent and he is much better in the air than anticipated. I think he'd be a find purchase. He also has very good set play delivery....

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Rayan Ait Nouri (Wolves) looks a interesting young player for the left back spot. And a argument can also be made that the fullback role is better filled by a player who is more of a hybrid LB/LCB and can provide better control in the build up phase but also can invert to form a 3 man backline in defensive transition.

Players like Lucumi and Wilfried Singo (RB/CB) could be of interest in that regard and have the potential to provide a high level of versatility at fullback which I feel could be a advantage. I've been watching a a bit of Bologna this season due to Thiago Motta being their coach, and Lucumi has at times stepped into midfield to allow more players forward and his pace and power is backed up by his ability on the ball. For me a attacking fullback is someone that is good on the ball and Lucumi definitely is good on the ball and his versatility is something that we could potentially benefit from.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We already have a quality young left back in Amass. We should be going out and signing the best left back we possibly can.
And has Fernandez been written off too at 21 years of age..?
Sometimes it just feels that our shopping list is always for Left Back, Right Wing & Goalkeeper.... :rolleyes:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’ve always seen a potential quality left-back in Dwight McNeil tbh. He’s a winger I know, but I think his physical and stylistic profile just looks like a potential class LB.

msjmohd83

I’ve always seen a potential quality left-back in Dwight McNeil tbh. He’s a winger I know, but I think his physical and stylistic profile just looks like a potential class LB.
yo i was about to post the same thing, he's got a good shot and also can whip up a good cross. If we insist on having Shaw as a starter would not mind him as backup.

NoPace

I'd be shocked if he could hold up in the Prem in a 4 at the back system. Maybe as a wing-back. He's never really gotten stronger and doesn't have the pace or 2 footed qualities of say an Ashley Young if we're looking ahead 2-3 years.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We could probably do worse than paying Ian Maatsen’s release clause.

Pav1878

Interesting take. Personally I can’t see a player there at all. Overrated for me. Not enough pace, strength or impact. But that’s just my opinion.

SER19

Ait Nouri, Antonee Robinson, Estupian, and Kerkez would ALL be excellent signings, while keeping shaw as a versatile cb and lb option when fit. Shaw is an excellent player but too injury prone. These are 4 excellent full backs from 'smaller clubs', all playing in the PL.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Leif Davis at Ipswich has been our best player. Not sure he’ll ever be Utd quality but he’s a Premiership left back in all but name.

didz

Ait Nouri, Antonee Robinson, Estupian, and Kerkez would ALL be excellent signings, while keeping shaw as a versatile cb and lb option when fit. Shaw is an excellent player but too injury prone. These are 4 excellent full backs from 'smaller clubs', all playing in the PL.
I like Ait Nouri. We were apparently following him a lot when he was at Angers, so I'd be surprised if he's not someone we've been keeping tabs on since. Robinson looks good too - solid defensively, plenty of pace going forward, even gets assists (which none of our fullbacks do). Estupian would surely cost a bomb, going by how much they squeezed Chelsea for Cucurella, and by far the best I've seen Kerkez play was against us, so I'd probably say he isn't good enough.

SER19

I like Ait Nouri. We were apparently following him a lot when he was at Angers, so I'd be surprised if he's not someone we've been keeping tabs on since. Robinson looks good too - solid defensively, plenty of pace going forward, even gets assists (which none of our fullbacks do). Estupian would surely cost a bomb, going by how much they squeezed Chelsea for Cucurella, and by far the best I've seen Kerkez play was against us, so I'd probably say he isn't good enough.
yeah ait nouri or robinson would be my top 2. the others I do like - but overall, its surely rare that 4 very good full backs like this are in so called smaller teams in the league, and we should be able to make one happen, unless we have some overseas target lined up

aeh1991

Leif Davis at Ipswich has been our best player. Not sure he’ll ever be Utd quality but he’s a Premiership left back in all but name.
Wow just looked up and he has 20 assists in 40 games as a LB?! That's insane, even for Championship level.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Wow just looked up and he has 20 assists in 40 games as a LB?! That's insane, even for Championship level.
Yeah he’s a genuinely key attacking threat from LB. He has an absolute motor on him too. I’d love to know how much ground he covers per game.

G-manc

I’ve seen quite a bit of Ipswich this season and the quality of his delivery is excellent.

I’m surprised Leeds got rid as LB has been a problem position for them since they sold Taylor to Burnley years ago.

Bielsa obviously didn’t fancy Davis for some reason.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I like Ait-Nouri, but every time I watch him, I think he's pretty suspect defensively. He's much more powerful now, I remember him pulling up with cramp moments before Rashford's goal at Molineux off the bench, but he's miles better going forward than Robinson. Robinson has the power and pace to cover the whole flank though, so I think I'd probably pick him over Ait Nouri. Agree with the other 3.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Has to be close to top the list. Wonderkid who everyone was looking at finally has got to grips with the PL. Is his strength and fitness a slight worry though? He seemed to be out a lot or not picked over the last few years. Admittedly this opinion is just based on fpl but I’m fairly sure this is his proper breakout year? He’s good going forward but it’s always harder to tell what a defender is like in a back 5 as mistakes are punished less

NoPace

I haven't seen much of him, but I think Xabi Alonso/Bayer's football may help him as probably some teams will copy them and want a player who can Grimaldo-style play LW/LM with the ball and LWB without it and 20 assists in the Champo suggests he should be useful as 2nd choice at a big team in that role, or first choice at some mid-table side doing it.

NoPace

It's probably a bad idea because Madrid would rinse us in terms of a fee like with Casemiro and the player might be less motivated as it seems like he doesn't want to leave, but if Davies goes to Madrid, then they might want to sell Mendy with one year left on his deal. If the fee was say 20M, it would make sense. If it's 30M or more, I'd say nah. He's very boring and not good going forward, but tough and smart defensively. If we love Amass and just need to buy 2-3 years it makes sense, though most likely INEOS will want a younger player. But if this was last year, I'd bet on Mendy for 30M as he tearfully leaves Madrid and doesn't want to be here.

didz

It's probably a bad idea because Madrid would rinse us in terms of a fee like with Casemiro and the player might be less motivated as it seems like he doesn't want to leave, but if Davies goes to Madrid, then they might want to sell Mendy with one year left on his deal. If the fee was say 20M, it would make sense. If it's 30M or more, I'd say nah. He's very boring and not good going forward, but tough and smart defensively. If we love Amass and just need to buy 2-3 years it makes sense, though most likely INEOS will want a younger player. But if this was last year, I'd bet on Mendy for 30M as he tearfully leaves Madrid and doesn't want to be here.
He'd be arriving both older and more injury prone than Varane when he was signed. I just want a fullback whose injury status isn't always news. Imagine a world where we aren't surprised when we have an available left back? That's the dream.

Aside from all that, he isn't good enough to qualify for the Carrington Madridista retirement program. You have to have been world class at some point surely?

NoPace

He'd be arriving both older and more injury prone than Varane when he was signed. I just want a fullback whose injury status isn't always news. Imagine a world where we aren't surprised when we have an available left back? That's the dream.

Aside from all that, he isn't good enough to qualify for the Carrington Madridista retirement program. You have to have been world class at some point surely?
Agreed on both counts, but at the same time, if the price was somehow like 15-20M (he does only have a year left) and it was say a 3 year deal on reasonable wages, I'd be fine with it, assuming Amass is seen as a Mainoo/Garnacho level prospect.

didz

Has to be close to top the list. Wonderkid who everyone was looking at finally has got to grips with the PL. Is his strength and fitness a slight worry though? He seemed to be out a lot or not picked over the last few years. Admittedly this opinion is just based on fpl but I’m fairly sure this is his proper breakout year? He’s good going forward but it’s always harder to tell what a defender is like in a back 5 as mistakes are punished less
This is a very valid concern with him, and it's worth noting that Gary O'Neil has at times referred to his 'back 4' this season, basically to say his back 5 but without Ait Nouri. Toti has has a very good season essentially doing the defensive job of a fullback in order to free Ait Nouri up from that responsibility and go and attack down that flank. He's still a player that needs to be covered by his teammates, whereas Robinson pretty much takes care of the flank himself.

redNATION

Could we perhaps tempt Theo Hernandez here? I just think FB is one of critical positions in the modern game and it’s clear we’re light years behind our rivals (including European teams). Even at RB we need someone like Frimpong.

Oranges038

Hernandez, Ait Nouri Nd Robinson should be on the list. Hernandez would be my number 1 target. The other 2 would be back up options.

Personally I'd bin Shaw and Malacia.

AneRu

Agreed on both counts, but at the same time, if the price was somehow like 15-20M (he does only have a year left) and it was say a 3 year deal on reasonable wages, I'd be fine with it, assuming Amass is seen as a Mainoo/Garnacho level prospect.
No we must cut the chord on Real Madrid cast offs, bring players in with an upside for once.

Bondi77

Robinson for me as a good backup to Shaw but there are plenty going around that would be a marked improvement on Malacia.

aeh1991

Antonee Robinson feels a tad too old for what he offers. I think we can find younger defenders of similar price/quality.

I'm also sceptical of Ait Nouri who is an excellent LWB but can he play LB too? Also I read that Wolves want some decent fee so again, we could find cheaper options.

Hernandez would be the dream signing on that position, but I dont think we stand a chance without CL. We could still try to tempt him. But he'd cost at least 60m.

Miguel Gutierrez looks interesting, but has a slight risk of being a one season wonder. I still like his profile and he's got an affordable release clause.

Ian Maatsen is definitely interesting depending on where he sees himself next season. Has a release clause, but I could imagine him staying at BVB.

Alejandro Grimaldo has never really worked a s a pure LB and with Xabi extending I guess the chances to get him are 0%.

Alfie Doughty looks a player who could pull it off and is EPL proven. Definitely worth a try if we wanna spare some money for other positions.

Leif Davis would be the most risky one but his stats are so impressive. I mean no matter what league, 20 assists as a pure LB is amazing!