Gaming The Legend of Zelda | Earthquake: "It's actually ridiculously good, and keeps getting better." ★★★★★

Code-CX

Played about 15 hours of this and I’ve got to say I haven’t felt this way playing a game in a really long time. I don’t know how to explain it but everything is so well crafted and thought out, the environment is beautiful, and I feel like I’m 10 again :lol:. Also loving that this game is actually challenging enough and that you have so many ways to take on enemies. Also, this is one of the very few games where I’m refraining from googling tips because I’d like to solve whatever I’m stuck on myself.

Code-CX

Me going up those waterfalls with 3 hearts to get 20 shock arrows: Hmm this seems easy. Some woman told me to take a photo of a lynel too. Sweet, I’ll take a picture of it and kill. I’ve killed everything so far right?

1 hour later of dying to centaur craphead: I’ll just stealth this.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Me going up those waterfalls with 3 hearts to get 20 shock arrows: Hmm this seems easy. Some woman told me to take a photo of a lynel too. Sweet, I’ll take a picture of it and kill. I’ve killed everything so far right?

1 hour later of dying to centaur craphead: I’ll just stealth this.
:lol: The Lynels are right bastards.

Code-CX

:lol: The Lynels are right bastards.
They really are :lol:. I'll come back to this guy later once I'm stronger.

Think it's time for me to put this down and go to sleep. I don't know how I'll manage to go to work on Tuesday and not think about playing this :(.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
They really are :lol:. I'll come back to this guy later once I'm stronger.

Think it's time for me to put this down and go to sleep. I don't know how I'll manage to go to work on Tuesday and not think about playing this :(.
It's definitely one of those games that you feel look forward to getting to play again.

Think positively, it's something to look forward to for after work! :D

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I'm finally able to play this properly, played it on my brothers console one weekend and ended up clearing Death Mountain for him, so I think I'll save that for last now.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
My brother got me the Smash Link Amiibo for Christmas so I’m unlocking Epona later.

b82REZ

Wow, what a game. I'm a little daunted by the scale of it so just focusing on finding shrines for now. I want to boost stamina as quickly as possible.

Also that I've shrine at the start is a tricky bugger. Took me ages to get there without freezing.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
You can stun them with electric arrows and mount them too, that's a good way ;)

Of course the best way is to git gud at dodging then fecking them up mano a semi-mano.
Yeah I usually just wait for them to charge at me and dodge then attack. I get too nervous and panicked to try anything else :lol:

b82REZ

Would people recommend not wandering too much? I feel massively unprepared. I'm still wearing the same gear that I started with and I've been wrecked a few times by bigger enemies. I've done about 5 shrines so far and met that weird old woman who tells you to hunt the Divine Beasts.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Would people recommend not wandering too much? I feel massively unprepared. I'm still wearing the same gear that I started with and I've been wrecked a few times by bigger enemies. I've done about 5 shrines so far and met that weird old woman who tells you to hunt the Divine Beasts.
Do the main quest for a bit, you get what you need and see some important things from the first few quests. Along the way look for towers and shrines around the paths first. Also that village with the woman sells armour, I recommend the stealth set.

Have you found any of the climbing gear yet? You get the bandana at least very early on if you look around. It's a big help.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I have been wandering around for 8 months. I have done some of the main quest but not too much. I wanted to progress further but I keep coming back to procrastinating and looking for shrines and tower (I still have three remaining).

Sarni

Do the main quest for a bit, you get what you need and see some important things from the first few quests. Along the way look for towers and shrines around the paths first. Also that village with the woman sells armour, I recommend the stealth set.

Have you found any of the climbing gear yet? You get the bandana at least very early on if you look around. It's a big help.
What's bandana? I still don't have it!

Redlambs

What's bandana? I still don't have it!
Seriously? You must have done that shrine. You either get it from one of the dualing peak shrines that you can find a few minutes after leaving the great plateu and it makes you climb faster. If you find the full set and upgrade it twice, it's amazingly great as you can jump around whilst climbing for minimal stamina loss too.

Some of the sets, for example like the swimming one too, makes getting around the world so much more fun and easier.

Sarni

Seriously? You must have done that shrine. You either get it from one of the dualing peak shrines that you can find a few minutes after leaving the great plateu and it makes you climb faster. If you find the full set and upgrade it twice, it's amazingly great as you can jump around whilst climbing for minimal stamina loss too.

Some of the sets, for example like the swimming one too, makes getting around the world so much more fun and easier.
Nah, haven't been to that shrine or I would have it, unless you don't get this by default after completing the shrine but need to open the chest - in some of them I am yet to open chest.

EDIT: It is in the chest but I have not been to that shrine anyway.

Code-CX

Killed my first lynel yesterday :D.

I feel like I'm really missing out on elixirs. I haven't tried to do any cooking apart from the one time when the results were mostly dubious food.

b82REZ

I feel like I'm really missing out on elixirs. I haven't tried to do any cooking apart from the one time when the results were mostly dubious food.
I've found cooking 5 of the same item gives the best returns. I made something yesterday that refilled all health and gave 20 temporary hearts. I can't remember what it was though.

Member 39557

Just started playing this today. Done 3 shrines on the plateau, but the 4th seems too cold. I think I have to hunt in the forest for some meat, so I can get the coat off the old feller.
Great fun so far, chopping trees, magnesis, bombs etc.
Great swansong for the Wiiu!

Redlambs

Just started playing this today. Done 3 shrines on the plateau, but the 4th seems too cold. I think I have to hunt in the forest for some meat, so I can get the coat off the old feller.
Great fun so far, chopping trees, magnesis, bombs etc.
Great swansong for the Wiiu!
Yes, cooking is a great way to help with the temperature ;)

You can get by without, but take some time later in the game to experiment and it is well worth it.

caid

A few rules for cooking -
If you put a temperature increasing food and one that increases max hearts then your going to get junk back.
Only one buff at a time for food

Dont mix and match food and monster parts, gives you junk

It'll list in your inventory the food effects, if it doesn't then its standard more hearts food.
So you basically want to mix one or more buff food (the more the longer your temperature controlling buffs last, or the more max hearts it'll give)
and then standard food which i wouldn't put more than one of
if its hearty food you'll get a max heal regardless
if its to change your temperature or increase climb whatever then your not using it for a heal and it'll often go to waste.

Any left over standard food i just throw together for standard healing.

Cant remember rules for monster parts tbh. Keep the dragon parts and ancient parts? They're used for crafting

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Really, once you have all the clothes so weather/terrain doesn't bother you much, all you really need is Hearty Durians and Mighty Bananas. Maybe some stuff to make energy potions if you're attempting daft climbs and glides, but most of the climbs have rest points throughout.

Heardy

Put an hour or so into BOTW this evening.

On the Great Plateau at the start, the fourth shrine was a nightmare - every route was so cold and ended up dying aabiut 5 times. by luck I managed to get to the shrine in time to avoid freezing to death after stocking up on spicy peppers.

Been directed toward the duelling peaks now but is it worth staying in that initil area for z bit first? seen people refer to armour and or a tunic but I'm still in an old shirt and trousers...

b82REZ

While I've probably put in well over 30 hours so far I feel like I've achieved very little. I've defeated the elephant divine beast and unlocked most of the map. I've probably done about 50 shrines and know the locations of all but one divine beast. Do the divine beasts all have similar quests to the Zora ones where you have to do smaller quests before you can fight it?

ArseHat

On the Great Plateau at the start, the fourth shrine was a nightmare - every route was so cold and ended up dying aabiut 5 times. by luck I managed to get to the shrine in time to avoid freezing to death after stocking up on spicy peppers.
Just started Zelda as well. Agreed, the 4th shrine in the cold territory was a nuisance. On a hunch, decided if lighting a torch would keep me warm (it did) and ended up using it to traverse the snowy terrain (avoiding enemies since most actions, even sprinting, extinguished the fire).