Gaming The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

decorativeed

Got my 1000th Korok and the last Bubbulfrog earlier today. I'm trying to keep the final battle till very last, when I've otherwise 100 percented it.

Upgrading all the armour with the great fairies is tedious business though. Could do without that.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I didn’t finish it before the baby came but to be honest I was kinda worn out anyway. Think I was finished the 4 temples and on 128 shrines and trying to get the last few but I’d very little urge to clear the depths.

Weirdly as great a game as it is I’m more annoyed at not being able to play ff16 as it feels like I’m not missing out on much by not finishing this anyway. Some day :(

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Got my 1000th Korok and the last Bubbulfrog earlier today. I'm trying to keep the final battle till very last, when I've otherwise 100 percented it.

Upgrading all the armour with the great fairies is tedious business though. Could do without that.
My god, that is some 100%ing right there. Any assistance at all with guides or pure solo work?

decorativeed

My god, that is some 100%ing right there. Any assistance at all with guides or pure solo work?
Oh, I definitely needed to use the interactive map to make sure I've ticked off all my progress. There's no way I could keep track of everything without it.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Finished it. All shrines done, most of the big side quests, 300ish Koroks, maxed out the Barbarian set, killed a King Gloeek, happy enough with that, the depths just didn't really interest me.

Great game but I feel like I missed out a bit by not being overly bothered with the building aspect of it. For me it was a real chore to assemble things at times which would put me off. Also, it really is just a big, brilliant BotW DLC rather than its own thing which means for me it kinda lacked the same sense of wonder and awe that BotW gave me when I first played it.

As weird as it sounds, I'd still rate BotW as the "greater" game even though this has almost made it impossible to go back to BotW.

decorativeed

Just finished it on 97.99%. feck knows what I've not done.

Found all Koroks, all wells, all caves and all bubbulfrogs, found all shrines and light roots, all sages wills, found and upgraded all the armour, completed every side quest, shrine quest and side adventure. Possibly not been everywhere on the map, but no idea what I'm missing.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Just finished it on 97.99%. feck knows what I've not done.

Found all Koroks, all wells, all caves and all bubbulfrogs, found all shrines and light roots, all sages wills, found and upgraded all the armour, completed every side quest, shrine quest and side adventure. Possibly not been everywhere on the map, but no idea what I'm missing.
Maybe a weapon you haven't found?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Roughly how long do I have left after completing the Spirit Temple if I absolutely beeline the story? I'm feeling a little burned out and want to move onto something else.

As weird as it sounds, I'd still rate BotW as the "greater" game even though this has almost made it impossible to go back to BotW.
I don't think it's weird. TotK maximises everything BotW did but doesn't offer much originality outside of the mechanics. It feels akin to how A Link Between Worlds was a more refined version of LttP but didn't hit the same heights, or how Twilight Princess felt like an homage to Ocarina of Time more than its own things. I'm still not sure how "great" a game it is but it has many excellent qualities. I don't think anything about the game has surprised or wowed me like BotW did.

Last edited:

decorativeed

Roughly how long do I have left after completing the Spirit Temple if I absolutely beeline the story? I'm feeling a little burned out and want to move onto something else.

I don't think it's weird. TotK maximises everything BotW did but doesn't offer much originality outside of the mechanics. It feels akin to how A Link Between Worlds was a more refined version of LttP but didn't hit the same heights, or how Twilight Princess felt like an homage to Ocarina of Time more than its own things. I'm still not sure how "great" a game it is but it has many excellent qualities. I don't think anything about the game has surprised or wowed me like BotW did.
I'm fairly sure after that you can go straight to the final boss. To be fair, you could have done that at any time, it just would have been significantly more difficult.

decorativeed

99.83% now. I've used this site and this one to try to tick off everything that I hadn't done. I found that schema stones counted towards the 100% but yiga schematics didn't. I found 20 or so landmarks on the map that I hadn't visited, and that brought the score up by just over 1%, but I'm buggered if I can find anything else I can do towards it. It can't help that both sites are either partially incomplete or have duplicates amongst the lists.

Last edited:

decorativeed

Still not found my missing 0.17%, but just seen that Switch Online has released two old Zelda titles I've not played. Might try those and come back to TotK some time in the future to get that last bit ticked off.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I've moved from this onto Metroid Prime and then off to finish Mario Odyssey as I did not want to start feeling Zelda exhaustion but finding it difficult to get back and finish now, as I know I will need a lot of time to get properly back in and there are some other games I want to finish (especially catch up on my PS5 library). I'll probably leave this for late Q3 or Q4.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Still not found my missing 0.17%, but just seen that Switch Online has released two old Zelda titles I've not played. Might try those and come back to TotK some time in the future to get that last bit ticked off.
Must be incredibly frustrating. Can't imagine how long you spent collecting everything only for it to still not be satisfyingly complete :lol:

Hamnat

Finally got back to finish. No way I'll even begin to try 100%.Completely enjoyed the game.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Finally got back to finish. No way I'll even begin to try 100%.Completely enjoyed the game.
Yeah I'm not sure when I want to finish it. Still a joy to come back to every time I get a spare evening. I think I'm on about 80 odd shrines now, maxed out stamina ages ago and a dozen or so hearts. Have finished 3 temples with just the Gerudo one left. I try to clear out side stories but every time I do another seems to open up. Got the wing suit and levelled it up the other day and that let's you do superhero landings from any height which is a great bonus. Got the master sword last week.

I really haven't explored much of the depths and not sure I want to. Still got loads in the sky to do as well. Haven't killed any of those big dragons or seen any Lynels either. It does feel like one of those games you can string out for as long as you like. Trouble is if I go to the boss I know I probably won't want to come back to it so I think I'll carry on at this pace for now.

Maagge

Yeah I'm not sure when I want to finish it. Still a joy to come back to every time I get a spare evening. I think I'm on about 80 odd shrines now, maxed out stamina ages ago and a dozen or so hearts. Have finished 3 temples with just the Gerudo one left. I try to clear out side stories but every time I do another seems to open up. Got the wing suit and levelled it up the other day and that let's you do superhero landings from any height which is a great bonus. Got the master sword last week.

I really haven't explored much of the depths and not sure I want to. Still got loads in the sky to do as well. Haven't killed any of those big dragons or seen any Lynels either. It does feel like one of those games you can string out for as long as you like. Trouble is if I go to the boss I know I probably won't want to come back to it so I think I'll carry on at this pace for now.
I think the suit also lets you do jump attacks from any height. Or maybe not, I haven't actually tried it from very high.

I got the master sword yesterday. After finally figuring out how to get to the korok forest.

Someone mentioned the two-fan hover bike for the depths and that has really revolutionised my exploration of them.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I think the suit also lets you do jump attacks from any height. Or maybe not, I haven't actually tried it from very high.

I got the master sword yesterday. After finally figuring out how to get to the korok forest.

Someone mentioned the two-fan hover bike for the depths and that has really revolutionised my exploration of them.
Weirdly I got the master sword before getting into the Forest (by doing all the tear sightings).

Re: the depths. Is there actually anything down there worth exploring for? I'm talking cool armour or weapons here. Not really fussed about turning on all the lights just because...

Maagge

Weirdly I got the master sword before getting into the Forest (by doing all the tear sightings).

Re: the depths. Is there actually anything down there worth exploring for? I'm talking cool armour or weapons here. Not really fussed about turning on all the lights just because...
There's loads of armour and weapons. I can't remember which armour pieces I found there and which I found in the caves though.

You can also get a lot of auto-build schematics, and of course the zonaite is great if you want to upgrade your energy cells.

I quite like that it's a bit more difficult as you can't just heal all the time.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
There's loads of armour and weapons. I can't remember which armour pieces I found there and which I found in the caves though.

You can also get a lot of auto-build schematics, and of course the zonaite is great if you want to upgrade your energy cells.

I quite like that it's a bit more difficult as you can't just heal all the time.
Auto build schematics sound sexy.

decorativeed

Must be incredibly frustrating. Can't imagine how long you spent collecting everything only for it to still not be satisfyingly complete :lol:
I've got a bad feeling some of it is missed parts of the fire dungeon, which is easily the bit of the game I liked least.

Agent Red

Just finished it. Feels weird after being so obsessed with it for the last two months.

Overall really enjoyed it. A bit grindy in parts on armor upgrades and the depths (I think there should have been a better reward for completing all the lightroots) but overall loved it. I wish it would let you run around post final battle rather than having to go back to an earlier save.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Maybe it is wishful thinking but I have the feeling there will be a third part in this Zelda universe. There are fewer loose ends and hints but I find it a bit suspicuous that

the Triforce hasn't played a major role. BotW was more or less a reboot of the series with a new gameplay but in terms of story elements, it was rather 'classical'.

We've seen the sages, Ganon(dorf) as the Demon King, the Goddess Hylia, the Master Sword, the typical races, etc. but I don't think the word Triforce is even in the game - despite it being the most iconic item besides the Master Sword. Yet you see it appear when Zelda bans Ganon, it is featured on walls and so forth so it generally exists in the lore. That's strange, especially since it is so easy to integrate in more or less any story.

When I googled this, I came across an articles that speculates it will be a trilogy with every part representing one of the Triforce shards as the primary design colors of BotW and TotK already could present the wisdom and bravery aspects, leaving power/red for the third installment.

Also, it was clear from the start that TotK would explore the Zonai civilization but so far we haven't seen much of it since even the two that appeared were sort of the last their race remaining.

Just finished it. Feels weird after being so obsessed with it for the last two months.

Overall really enjoyed it. A bit grindy in parts on armor upgrades and the depths (I think there should have been a better reward for completing all the lightroots) but overall loved it. I wish it would let you run around post final battle rather than having to go back to an earlier save.
Wish that, too. But I guess it would not pay of in terms of effort for them. They'd have to add lots of dialog and probably change a few interactions to make it feel authentic.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Maybe it is wishful thinking but I have the feeling there will be a third part in this Zelda universe. There are fewer loose ends and hints but I find it a bit suspicuous that

the Triforce hasn't played a major role. BotW was more or less a reboot of the series with a new gameplay but in terms of story elements, it was rather 'classical'.

We've seen the sages, Ganon(dorf) as the Demon King, the Goddess Hylia, the Master Sword, the typical races, etc. but I don't think the word is Triforce is even in the game. Yet you see it appear when Zelda bans Ganon, it is featured on walls and so forth so it generally exists in the lore. That's strange, especially since it is so easy to integrate in more or less any story.

When I googled this, I came across an articles that speculates it will be a trilogy with every part representing one of the Triforce shards as the primary design colors of BotW and TotK already could present the wisdom and bravery aspects, leaving power/red for the third installment.

Also, it was clear from the start that TotK would explore the Zonai civilization but so far we haven't seen much of it since even the two that appeared were sort of the last their race remaining.

Wish that, too. But I guess it would not pay of in terms of effort for them. They'd have to add lots of dialog and probably change a few interactions to make it feel authentic.
I really don’t think I can do Hyrule for a third time. Even if they change it round again.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
I really don’t think I can do Hyrule for a third time. Even if they change it round again.
It depends on the real world time between games. Another 6 years you will likely feel different. Realistically it'll be on the next Nintendo console so they'll have to do something to get wallets open.

Personally I want them to dump the grind for rupees and this weapon system. Rupees used to be a grind, but now I have to grind for gems to sell to get rupees. Thank goodness I use a glitch. Made my life more fun.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It depends on the real world time between games. Another 6 years you will likely feel different. Realistically it'll be on the next Nintendo console so they'll have to do something to get wallets open.

Personally I want them to dump the grind for rupees and this weapon system. Rupees used to be a grind, but now I have to grind for gems to sell to get rupees. Thank goodness I use a glitch. Made my life more fun.
Yes. I played BotW relatively late (only two years ago) and still I half the map seemed new to me. On a few occasions I was like "oh, I recognize this place from BotW" only after the third or fourth time I came around. Six years from now I'll have forgotten even more. And they could maybe extend the map further or add mechanics like in Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past or Twilight Princess to change the appearance of the world completely.

Or they create a new map but set in the same universe.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Finally "finished" it (main story, all memories and 87 shrines).

I've come to realise that within the context of video games I have an extreme lack of patience. In that sense TOTK is just not the game for me. The same could be said of BOTW, but somehow I didn't feel as fatigued when I played that game. I think the reason is that it felt so fresh and different compared to earlier instalments that I could endure all the elements that I dislike (exploring, item management, talking to NPCs, slowly getting stronger). BOTW vs TOTK is kind of like OOT vs MM. The latter is the better game in both cases, but they're also too similar to the former to blow me away in the same manner.

Good:
- Pretty much the same game as BOTW, but with a bigger map, a better story and some cool new mechanics.

Bad:
- The Depths! Seriously, feck that entire area of the game! :lol:
- The temples are still underwhelming
- I still hate rain with a passion. Just let me climb!

decorativeed

I've come to realise that within the context of video games I have an extreme lack of patience. In that sense TOTK is just not the game for me. The same could be said of BOTW, but somehow I didn't feel as fatigued when I played that game. I think the reason is that it felt so fresh and different compared to earlier instalments that I could endure all the elements that I dislike (exploring, item management, talking to NPCs, slowly getting stronger). BOTW vs TOTK is kind of like OOT vs MM. The latter is the better game in both cases, but they're also too similar to the former to blow me away in the same manner.

Good:
- Pretty much the same game as BOTW, but with a bigger map, a better story and some cool new mechanics.

Bad:
With you on the rain. Especially since it takes the majority of the game until you can find and upgrade the froggy armour. Absolute pain in the arse when you're just trying to climb a pillar to get a Korok and it starts pissing down half way up. Or worse, trying to fight a Gleeok.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I don't think I'll ever finish it on account of finding the combat tedious and getting all the way to the final boss but having no motivation to go in there. It's been about a month since I last played it.

It does lots right but I found my enjoyment dwindled after finding all the towers and then getting burnt out of doing shrines. I don't feel as if there's enough depth to the main quests. Mostly everything feels inconsequential / like a time sink.

Last edited:

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Absolute pain in the arse when you're just trying to climb a pillar to get a Korok
I pretty much ignore all koroks. The exception being when it's obvious that they're hiding under a stone in my path. It's just about worth those 5 seconds to lift it up and hear that annoying "hiyayai! Pah pih".

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Good:

Bad:
The item management is very annoying. I also disliked that you had to attach these materials to your weapons. It is a cool mechanic but I hate that I to stick an ugly horn or claw to a cool looking sword just to make some damage.

And the cooking.. preferred the healing system of previous installments to this. Those are all things they can improve on, IMO. Which is great because I generally loved the game.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
That was a slog! The only open world more vacuous and empty was Elden Ring's (Makes Ubisoft open-world look thrilling).
huh, Both TOTK and Elden Ring never felt vacous and empty to me. Shame you didnt enjoy them