Gaming The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

kps88

Im sorry to ask but is there really anything worthwhile in depths apart from gloom resistant gear and that 1 story mission? Because i havnt yet found a good reason to spend hours and hours throwing my brightseeds and accidentally my weapons around.
"Worthwhile" is subjective but imo, yes. There's more stuff to find and discover. If you really don't enjoy it you can skip it though.

caid

Im sorry to ask but is there really anything worthwhile in depths apart from gloom resistant gear and that 1 story mission? Because i havnt yet found a good reason to spend hours and hours throwing my brightseeds and accidentally my weapons around.
Theres a lot of stuff for crafting and upgrading. A lot of bosses, a lot of colliseums. Loads and loads of armor, which is mostly nostalgia but theres a few strong bits and pieces. A lot of autobuild schematics. A lot of secrets as with every other part of the game.
Its not my favourite part of the game and it probably would have benefitted from a smaller map as with the sky islands. I kind of liked it tonally if thats a word.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
150 hours and game is complete. Final boss harder than I was expecting also no save between forms

112 shrines and 62 light roots. My completion was 49.5%

still tons of sides quests, but I think I’m done for now though

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My dog has developed a Pavlovian response to my switch turning off :lol:

Every time I go back to the main menu to put it into sleep mode he jolts awake and goes to the living room door.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
My dog has developed a Pavlovian response to my switch turning off :lol:

Every time I go back to the main menu to put it into sleep mode he jolts awake and goes to the living room door.
My dog does that with the ps5 into sleep noise because that means I’m starting work in the morning and he has to get into his bed :lol: funny creatures.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I started looking for a few of the treasures marked on my depths map. The one I went to first sat in a location which was an obvious trap. I had no idea of the extend of it though and

Basically a gate shuts and a lynel is let loose. It was the first lynel I fought in this game, but I made quick work of it as I had a 57 weapon and my three sages helped a bit as well. Anyway, then comes the next tier of lynel, and then the next. And then a goddamned silver lynel. At this point I'm running out of decent weapons and fairies. Furthermore I hadn't prepared more than one meal which could get rid of the gloom damage, of course I had consumed it at this point. So I'm fighting a silver lynel with 5 hearts and my only source of recovery is fairies. I actually manage to do it in my second try, but he wasn't the final enemy. :houllier:
I ended giving up as I simply didn't have anything to deal with it. But now I know how to prepare for that shit.

I've also gotten three complete sets of armour now. Glide, soldier and the hot weather damage stuff.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I've posted something similar before but I'm now a bit more up to date with this game. I completed BOTW 2 weeks ago and since then I've been doing loads of completionist stuff like trying to do every shrine (Got 100 down so not too long to go). I'm wondering if it's worth waiting a while before going into this game. As I understand it, the map is essentially the same and the main joy I got out of BOTW was exploring new areas and finding the towers/shrines. If I start tears now I'm just thinking I might not fully appreciate the game given I'll be traipsing through terrain I'm very familiar with. I know the tears world has been updated and is less baren than botw but do you think what I outlined is a valid argument to delay playing this game for a couple of months so when I do pick it up it feels less familiar?

decorativeed

I've posted something similar before but I'm now a bit more up to date with this game. I completed BOTW 2 weeks ago and since then I've been doing loads of completionist stuff like trying to do every shrine (Got 100 down so not too long to go). I'm wondering if it's worth waiting a while before going into this game. As I understand it, the map is essentially the same and the main joy I got out of BOTW was exploring new areas and finding the towers/shrines. If I start tears now I'm just thinking I might not fully appreciate the game given I'll be traipsing through terrain I'm very familiar with. I know the tears world has been updated and is less baren than botw but do you think what I outlined is a valid argument to delay playing this game for a couple of months so when I do pick it up it feels less familiar?
I don't think a rest will do you any harm at all.

Lots of that thrill of discovery will still be there though, because while the basic map is the same, none of the shrines or anything else beyond villages is in the same place, and almost everything in Hyrule has been radically altered by the events between the two games.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I don't think a rest will do you any harm at all.

Lots of that thrill of discovery will still be there though, because while the basic map is the same, none of the shrines or anything else beyond villages is in the same place, and almost everything in Hyrule has been radically altered by the events between the two games.
Yea I figured the shrines and the towers would be in different locations. I think I'll come back to this game late 2023. Cheers for the info.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I did the exact same, a complete overlap of BOTW to TOTK when it got released. I will happily say, the nerd in me forgot the 1st game and kept on going.

Maybe it's an addiction to find and complete the shrines?

decorativeed

I'm re-treading a point I already made here, but with an extra sage to help and it's still a joyless bit of busywork in an otherwise excellent game - the bit where you need to break through cave walls. The Lake Intenoch Cave and finding one of the helms in particular just require you to break down an endless amount of rocks - and once you've broken through them there is another mountain of them to tackle in what becomes an endlessly dull cycle of boredom. There was absolutely no need to have made it so that you have to spend 10 solid minutes either smashing up hammers and remaking them or waiting for a power to charge over and over.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm re-treading a point I already made here, but with an extra sage to help and it's still a joyless bit of busywork in an otherwise excellent game - the bit where you need to break through cave walls. The Lake Intenoch Cave and finding one of the helms in particular just require you to break down an endless amount of rocks - and once you've broken through them there is another mountain of them to tackle in what becomes an endlessly dull cycle of boredom. There was absolutely no need to have made it so that you have to spend 10 solid minutes either smashing up hammers and remaking them or waiting for a power to charge over and over.
I did this in the Gerudo Desert last night. Not sure if it's the same one.

Have found the Phenomena more and more boring with each one as it's essentially the same template copy pasted. I'm still dipping into this most nights but not had the time for a proper session for a while. I was following some statues yesterday fully intending to see where they led and ended up in the main Yiga hideout somehow after being distracted by multiple things.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
My enjoyment levels for the game are definitely waning the more I play. It's completely failed to recapture the magic of BotW. Like, it's a great game but it's also just a bit too massive and all over the place for me. I dunno, maybe I'm just not as into mammoth games as I was when I played BotW, but it all feels a little ... aimless. I'll probably finish the story but not sure if I'm arsed doing all the shrines (I'm on around 90) and side stuff. I get that it's a game you can enjoy as much as you want to by doing insane shit with the fusion system but I just don't have the time in my life anymore to spend hours and hours at it and it feels like I'm not the right target audience anymore :lol:

And speaking of the shrines, so many of them are just combat shrines or blessing's from navigating through an annoying cave or whatever, I guess I expected more of them to utilise the amazing abilities but honestly only maybe 1 out of 2 I find (if even) are what I'd consider enjoyable beyond the standard.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My enjoyment levels for the game are definitely waning the more I play. It's completely failed to recapture the magic of BotW. Like, it's a great game but it's also just a bit too massive and all over the place for me. I dunno, maybe I'm just not as into mammoth games as I was when I played BotW, but it all feels a little ... aimless. I'll probably finish the story but not sure if I'm arsed doing all the shrines (I'm on around 90) and side stuff.

And speaking from the shrines, so many of them are just combat shrines or blessing's from navigating through an annoying cave or whatever, I guess I expected more of them to utilize the amazing abilities but honestly only maybe 1 out of 2 I find (if even) are what I'd consider enjoyable beyond the standard.
Yeah mine is waning but only for the more collectible style things.

I remember a week ago when the little freak asked me to find 100 Bubbulgems still left out there I was like yeah sure I'll grab them all as I go. Now I cannot be arsed to check every cave I might've missed or not even discovered to begin with. I'll just google what happens when you give him them all.

decorativeed

Have found the Phenomena more and more boring with each one as it's essentially the same template copy pasted. I'm still dipping into this most nights but not had the time for a proper session for a while. I was following some statues yesterday fully intending to see where they led and ended up in the main Yiga hideout somehow after being distracted by multiple things.
Yeah, that's the one. Stupid waste of time.

Done all 152 shrines now, all 120 light roots and on 37 hearts.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Hang on, this is what I did last night.

Are we one?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Basically grinding to upgrade the fierce deity set all the way, just need the final upgrade for each piece which means I need.... 6 lynel guts. Going to be a pain to collect those. But once I do that I'll probably go ahead and do the gerudo phenomena and then the final boss. I think I got all of links lost weapons and I just put them up in my house, so pretty happy with that.

Agent Red

I’ve been playing regularly for just over 2 weeks now and quite into it, but it does feel massive and I’m not sure how long my enthusiasm for ‘the depths’ will sustain. As someone who likes to 100% things it’s a big extra load to do all the light roots alongside the shrines especially with the faff of throwing the seeds all the time and then finding you’re randomly climbing a never ending cliff all of a sudden.

b82REZ

I agree that overall it hasn't gripped me the same way BoTW did, even though it's a better game on almost all levels.

But my life is so different now so I simply can't commit multiple, long sessions to play per week. I'm lucky if I get a few hours in one session at weekend. For me it's not the type of game I can drop into for short sessions.

I will be breaking up for summer in a few weeks so I'll probably get back into like I was at launch, but with BoTW it occupied my waking mind all the time, while I did every little thing (except the Koroks). I don't think I'll even do all the shrines in Tears.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Contrary to most of you, I still feel addicted to this in a way I wasn’t to BOTW. I spent barely 30+ hours in BOTW before I finished off the story and put it aside, I’m already on 55 here and will probably do close to 150. I’m actually terrified of the fact that there will come a day when I will leave this game and move on to something else. I think I might actually return to BOTW to do the shrines as I only did like 50 maybe.

Maagge

I think I got all of links lost weapons and I just put them up in my house, so pretty happy with that.
What classifies as a "lost weapon"? I don't think I've seen anyone talk about that in the game.
That said I might have found one last night in the depths.

Maagge

Basically grinding to upgrade the fierce deity set all the way, just need the final upgrade for each piece which means I need.... 6 lynel guts. Going to be a pain to collect those. But once I do that I'll probably go ahead and do the gerudo phenomena and then the final boss. I think I got all of links lost weapons and I just put them up in my house, so pretty happy with that.
I know a place where you get to fight a bunch of lynels if you're interested.

bosnian_red

What classifies as a "lost weapon"? I don't think I've seen anyone talk about that in the game.
That said I might have found one last night in the depths.
His classic weapons from previous games. Sea breeze boomerang, biggoron sword, dusk bow, hylian shield, sea breeze shield, fierce deity sword, sword of the hero, white sword of the sky.... Just missing the dusk claymore.

Maagge

His classic weapons from previous games. Sea breeze boomerang, biggoron sword, dusk bow, hylian shield, sea breeze shield, fierce deity sword, sword of the hero, white sword of the sky.... Just missing the dusk claymore.
That's the one I found yesterday. I'll probably stick it in the house as well.
Just beat it yesterday! Got 3 lynel guts from it. Was hard as feck on the last one, the guy just swings through my shields.
Yeah I was completely unprepared if we're talking about the same place. I scraped past what I hope was the second to last, but then I couldn't deal with the following.

bosnian_red

That's the one I found yesterday. I'll probably stick it in the house as well.

Yeah I was completely unprepared if we're talking about the same place. I scraped past what I hope was the second to last, but then I couldn't deal with the following.
Honestly first 4 were a bit of a breeze. Only had to heal my heart's and gloom once. Last guy I ran out of all my gloom meals and had 2 fairies device me. The guy does a spin attack and it broke my 55 strength shields pretty much in one or 2 goes. Had 3 of the phenomena ghosts helping me which made it way easier... Mainly tulin with the random head shots.

b82REZ

Unpopular opinion - the Divine Beasts were more fun and better thematically than the Temples.

I think the Beasts get an unfair rap overall.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Unpopular opinion - the Divine Beasts were more fun and better thematically than the Temples.

I don't think that's unpopular. I agree.

Maagge

I tend to agree. Although the boss fights are better in the temples I think.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Speaking of opinions, they should have made it so that weapons don't break but have a standard damage amount that you can only improve by attaching fusions that do eventually break like the current system leaving the base weapon unscathed.

Edit - Basically what they did with the master sword, but make the master sword better than all other weapons like it should be.

Last edited: