The "Line up and apologize to Joachim Low" Thread

Christoph R

Tell that to Moyes
I don't think that you can compare both teams. Fergie did a great job in Manchester and after Moyes took the job you just saw how Fergie made the difference because some parts of the team were just bad. That's why United sacked Moyes. No tactic and no clue about anything.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I don't need to apologize. I said that i trust him before the tournament has started. But i also critisized him after the games vs Ghana, USA and Algeria. He made some mistakes there, that is undenieable but he fixed them. So im of course fine and hope he will go for the Euro's 16 at least.

Abizzz

Well I've hade my doubts about him for a long time, but he proved me wrong and brought great joy in doing so.

Well done.

Mighty Boosh

I read this line today and I think it sums things up quite well "The most important reason for Germany’s World Cup success is the development of so many talented footballers in the first place, rather than the manner they were used".

Sheamus

Did he manage not to eat a booger during this world cup?

anchan1989

The biggest decision he made and got right was swallowing his pride and putting Lahm back to right back.
Even that was nothing. He had to move Lahm into midfield because Schweini and Sami werent fit at the start of the world cup.
When they were he moved him back.
Fact is; Jogi is a genius of a trainer. He is behind the tactical revolution Klinsmann was smart enough to start(huge kudos to him, but he is more a manager).
His record with Germany is a Europan championship final, a world cup win, a european semi, a WC semi as coach and Co.
He is on course to become the best German coach ever.
I end this love post(I admit it:D ) with a Klinsmann quote: "During my whole career no one could explain the procedure of a 4 men backline to me. No coach, no one.
I met Jogi and he did it in minutes."

Thank you Jogi, for everything.

oriole

Has anyone an idea what role Bayern played in all this? After all most starting- eleven players are Bayern- players and to be fair Bayers style of play is very comparable to that of the NT. In other words, who started it all, Bayern ( don't forget Dortmund!) or the NT? Chronology is not my strong point...

edit. This is not an attempt to minimize Loews achievements, many may try but only a few will succeed...

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Thank you, Jogi, for your part in the creation of this magnificent unit of indivuduals and thanks for finally realizing that you've made mistakes and correcting them after the horrendous Algeria game.

I won't thank him for winning us the WC, because I still think that the players carried the staff and not the other way around. Löw finally did a good job and refused to botch it like before, but I want to see fresh faces from now on. This team, World Champions or not, still has unleashed potential in terms of strategy squad composition and player utilization and I don't think Löw is the man to perfect it.

So... thanks for helping the team become WC. Good luck in all future endeavors, but please make room for somebody new.

@oriole:

Barca and then Bayern, I think. It probably started with Barcelona's incredible success and the reshape of Bayern under LvG (foundations) and especially Heynckes. That led to Löw's new approach after the 2010 WC, when we tried to get away from the fast, direct counter attacking style we played there to a more possession based game plan.

Last edited:

oriole

Thanks Piratesoup!

This is one of the reasons I have much respect for clubteams who field as much domestic players as possible, huge benefit there for the NT. I think both Spain's and Germany's successes owe a lot to that.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
I want to congratulate Loew for having the strength to admit that he was wrong and everybody else (press, experts, fans) was right, in regards to

1) training setpieces

2) pairing Boateng/Hummels

3) moving Lahm back to RB

4) stoppping with the false nine nonsense that not even Argentina with Messi plays

I also want to thank Mustafi for injuring himself, so Loew was forced to leave his wrong path. Furthermore Algeria for not killing Germany in the 1st half.

I think Loew´s biggest strength was personal management off the pitch. It´s so difficult to keep a group together for almost two months, keep them focused and united for one big goal. He gave the players the right amount of leeway and they paid him back.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Has anyone an idea what role Bayern played in all this? After all most starting- eleven players are Bayern- players and to be fair Bayers style of play is very comparable to that of the NT. In other words, who started it all, Bayern ( don't forget Dortmund!) or the NT? Chronology is not my strong point...

edit. This is not an attempt to minimize Loews achievements, many may try but only a few will succeed...
Bayern always plays a massive role for the nationalteam. Also their current coaches. Van Gaal for example had a huge impact on our nationalteam, imo maybe even the biggest in a positive way, without coaching it. It seems that the nationalteam always follows Bayern tactics, not exactly though since there are some other players.

But it is understandable. Most players are from Bayern. Almost every keyplayer is from Bayern aswell. So it would'nt make any sense to change their current style of play completely.

I think this is very good comparable to Spain and Barca 08-12. They played almost the same way, just without Messi but with the likes of Ramos.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
They won in spite of his strange decisions, Howedes at left back isn't a great decision just because they won a World Cup with him playing there.
This just shows how many ppl only have an eye for the attacking side of football, and fail to see that germany virtually gave no chances to rival teams from howedes side. He was absolutely great in what he was there to do. Go play your fifa team with marcelo and errm walcott as wingbacks...

rnuqqet

So, because Loew won the World Cup with a formation closer to what all the critics asked for compared to his idiotic formation at the beginning of the tournament, now Jogi Loew should be apologized to?

LOL

Hope Germany hires Thomas Tuchel. He won't be silly enough to play Kroos at the 10 and force superior 10s like Goetze and Oezil on the wings. Kroos is a deep player, not a 10. Playing him there and 10's out of position on the wings made the offense worse.

Scrumpet

There are no words
This just shows how many ppl only have an eye for the attacking side of football, and fail to see that germany virtually gave no chances to rival teams from howedes side. He was absolutely great in what he was there to do. Go play your fifa team with marcelo and errm walcott as wingbacks...
...didn't the majority of Argentina's play come down that wing?

Kenneth Millett

loew was definitely not the best coach at the world cup, blessed with an insanely talented team any average manager could have won them the title

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yeah, thats not really accurate. Ghana exploited it several times by getting either players or crosses past him (one of them resulted in a conceded goal). Algeria and France tried that aswell, but there he got covered several times by the massive Neuer and Hummels. What happens when he did not have a partner in outstanding form next to him could be seen against Argentina. Remember the three pace duels a Hummels as CB and in no top shape was forced into on the left flank line? Now show me where Höwedes was. The only real defensive advantage with him was at set pieces.

You can play a CB as LB if you want in a deep lying defense line, but when the FBs are positioned as advanced as against Argentina for example, you need players with a certain amount of pace and mobility to cover the back. Höwedes does not possess these strengths.

I seriously hope that the title won´t motivate Löw to make Höwedes the standart LB and will rather put his trust into Durm, if the latter has the expected development.

ThaReaper01

Most people here said that Lahm in midfield was questionable and only after Ghana shit on them, and Lahm in particular, did he change and they started playing much better. That was the only thing to criticize him for; him trying to be Guardiola. Schweinsteiger/Khedira/Kroos should have been the 3 from the start. Really didn't seem like it'd take a genius to win the World Cup with one of the most talented nations around, though.

tom from munich

Supports
bayern
Been one of his critics. Considered him a weakling who sucks when it counts. Don't understand till now what he sees in Mustafi. But the team made it in a totally convincing way, the country is happy, so he must have done right. Go on, Jogi.

Lyricist

Most people here said that Lahm in midfield was questionable and only after Ghana shit on them, and Lahm in particular, did he change and they started playing much better. That was the only thing to criticize him for; him trying to be Guardiola. Schweinsteiger/Khedira/Kroos should have been the 3 from the start. Really didn't seem like it'd take a genius to win the World Cup with one of the most talented nations around, though.
Wasn't the only questionable decision by far:

- Many wanted Özil out of the starting line up, I for one was fine with him, especially after Reus' injury.
- Mustafi shouldn't even have been in the squad at all and he for sure shouldn't have got playing time in the first 4 games...especially not ahead of Ginter, Großkreutz, and Durm!!
- Höwedes starting all tournament was questionable, but it worked I guess.
- Lahm in midfield was also not the smartest decision but he corrected it luckily.
- 4 tall and slow CBs as back 4 when Lahm was in midfield playing a high line only second to David Luiz' offensive position was quite stupid especially with Großkreutz and Durm being available.

Glad we won the tournament though.

He still has his flaws but he did enough right (and the players had enough passion) for his flaws not to ruin our chances. I'll stand by my criticism but I congratulate him for what he's achieved and I'll gladly criticize him for another 2 years after this (as in, I won't mind him staying now)!
I'm very interested to see what Tuchel will be able to do with the squad if he takes over eventually!

ThaReaper01

Wasn't the only questionable decision by far:

- Many wanted Özil out of the starting line up, I for one was fine with him, especially after Reus' injury.
- Mustafi shouldn't even have been in the squad at all and he for sure shouldn't have got playing time in the first 4 games...especially not ahead of Ginter, Großkreutz, and Durm!!
- Höwedes starting all tournament was questionable, but it worked I guess.
- Lahm in midfield was also not the smartest decision but he corrected it luckily.
- 4 tall and slow CBs as back 4 when Lahm was in midfield playing a high line only second to David Luiz' offensive position was quite stupid especially with Großkreutz and Durm being available.

Glad we won the tournament though.

He still has his flaws but he did enough right (and the players had enough passion) for his flaws not to ruin our chances. I'll stand by my criticism but I congratulate him for what he's achieved and I'll gladly criticize him for another 2 years after this (as in, I won't mind him staying now)!
I'm very interested to see what Tuchel will be able to do with the squad if he takes over eventually!
I guess the Ozil one is a fair shout because he's a lazy fecker and Schurrle was mighty impressive in cameos but he's probably the most talented of the lot. Superior to Gotze in my opinion. I was one who called for Grosskreutz earlier in the tournament to start for Howedes but he started every game and they won the damn thing so I guess the joke's on us. The 4 CB/Lahm in midfield thing was as foolish as it got and they were very lucky Klose scored against Ghana cause they were second best and things would've gotten nervy in the last game if he didn't. If's and but's obviously, but if he doesn't take Lahm out of midfield, they go out to France, maybe even Algeria because of how well they pressed. That was the big red flag in my opinion and like I said, didn't take a genius to see that it needed changing but I guess the opening result clouded his judgment.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You don't win a World Cup despite the manager. The state of some people's opinions. :lol:
France won the world cup with Aimet Jacquet, Aimet Jacquet.
France have been in final of the World Cup with Domenech.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
France won the world cup with Aimet Jacquet, Aimet Jacquet.
France have been in final of the World Cup with Domenech.
Nope. I'm not having that. Sure, the quality of the manager/coach might not be the same level as the squad itself, but there is no way a team can win the World Cup with the coach actively disrupting the team. Most of us here should know the effect a bad manager has on a good team. We watched United went from being champions to 7th place in the league.