Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Eriku

I thought Elijah portrayed Frodo's decline rather well without going over the top.

One issue I had throughout all 3 LOTR films was the effectiveness and depth to Gimli. Really underutilized and became the trilogies comic relief character, which was abit cheap.
Agreed. They just piled it on with him.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Charlie Hunnam is the only English actor I know that can't do a convincing accent for any English region.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I've started listening to the new Andy Serkis-narrated FOTR audiobook. His Tom Bombadil is so good :drool:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think it works in the books but wouldn't work in film as its a fairly long segment where nothing overly happens and given it took a while for Frodo and Sam to finally set off from Hobbiton it would be a big momentum crash and ruin the pacing of the film. I'm glad they took it out. Honestly I think the pacing of Fellowship in particular is pretty much perfect. It's a very well put together film.
Agree. I really love Bombadil in the books but he would've ruined the pacing of the movie. Tolkien could allow himself to stray away from the linear narrative to explore the world and its lore but I don't think that Jackson had that luxury — especially with the movies being already as long as they are.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Charlie Hunnam is the only English actor I know that can't do a convincing accent for any English region.
His accents are so bad, I actually thought he was putting them on and was Australian or something.

But I have a weird soft spot for him, that I can't explain. He's a terrible actor and there's no rational explanation to it, but it's there.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
His accents are so bad, I actually thought he was putting them on and was Australian or something.

But I have a weird soft spot for him, that I can't explain. He's a terrible actor and there's no rational explanation to it, but it's there.
Yeah, I'm the same on both points!

AaronRedDevil

Dunno how I feel about these pics. Looks too clean and flawless. No hairy female dwarf either.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
First look via Vanity Fair.

Of course, the dickheads of Twitter are already up in arms about the fact that there is a black dwarf when the real concern should be that she's not bearded.
The only problem I have is that it's going to look more Hobbit than LOTR thanks to its clean look and digital cameras, which makes things always look a bit cheap. Then again these aren't stills so...

But with source material like this it could be filmed on my toaster and I'm probably still going to love the shit out of it.

AaronRedDevil

That's a lot of black people
Isn't there supposed to be VERY few black people in the LOTR world? Like there was some kind of story behind it. Haven't read any of the books. In the game there were mercenaries and they were pretty badass. Don't really care that much as long as the story is told well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Isn't there supposed to be VERY few black people in the LOTR world? Like there was some kind of story behind it. Haven't read any of the books. In the game there were mercenaries and they were pretty badass. Don't really care that much as long as the story is told well.
One of those things that I really don't give a feck about them changing, Tolkien wrote the books in a different time. Choosing to modernize some social aspects can easily be done without taking anything away from the stories/material. Of course some people are gonna be upset, but feck em.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The thing that sticks out negatively for me is that the girl playing Galadriel looks too... human?

I think you need to have a certain angular facial structure to pull off an elf look - Cate Blancett, Liv Tyler, and even Evangeline Lilly have it, not sure this one does. Though to be fair, I didn't like the bloke as Haldir in the films for the same reason and I can't exactly say it detracted much from it. :lol: The lad as Elrond looks about right I think.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Oh, I thought they were making a series based on the book, it's taking place in the 2nd age.

There goes my excitement.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Oh, I thought they were making a series based on the book, it's taking place in the 2nd age.

There goes my excitement.
It's based on the appendices, which I don't think is a bad choice. I don't think it's possible to tell the story of the main LOTR books in a significantly better way than the trilogy of films, so there's not a lot of point re-telling that story.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
It's based on the appendices, which I don't think is a bad choice. I don't think it's possible to tell the story of the main LOTR books in a significantly better way than the trilogy of films, so there's not a lot of point re-telling that story.
It was significantly abbreviated, I've been hoping someone would put out a long form version with everything in it, over several seasons. I mean, why not, it's a great story throughout. I wouldn't mind if it was animated, anime style, to make it easier.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Jesus I don't know if it's because of the high def but those stills look very LARP-y.
I'll wait till the trailer as these type of promo shots tend to be touched up to look as pretty as possible and don't overly represent the final version. They're more like pretty wallpaper photos.

If i'm being overly critical, i'd say that (assuming its Elrond) hair looks a bit naff. Looks too modern. I also cringed hard at the Aragorn look alike's t-shirt.

Amarsdd

Its sorta giving me the Witcher's production (sets, costumes etc) vibes, and I thought those were really really subpar. Hopefully, it's just the stills that's making it look like that.
And btw people complaining about the lady dwarf having no beard. Just zoom in, there's a bit of a mutton chop going on there :lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It was significantly abbreviated, I've been hoping someone would put out a long form version with everything in it, over several seasons. I mean, why not, it's a great story throughout. I wouldn't mind if it was animated, anime style, to make it easier.
You’re disappointed that it’s based on the 2nd Age? I find that it’s main selling point. Another LOTR attempt would just constantly be compared against the great original trilogy, like what is already happening with Galadriel and Elrond but multiplied tenfold.

By the way I’ve been told that regardless of how great Hugo Weaving is Elrond was miscast as he played him too coldly/cynically. Is that true?