Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

AaronRedDevil

It is relatively poor compared to its bigger sibling. The Jackson on crack action sequences and the horrible continuity being the biggest issues.
To be fair there's nothing out there that can even come close to the LOTR trilogy. That was peak cinema. Absolute perfection. It will never be topped. And yeah that I agree with that. Especially that barrel scene and Legolas defying gravity with the rocks. :lol:

SoCross

To be fair there's nothing out there that can even come close to the LOTR trilogy. That was peak cinema. Absolute perfection. It will never be topped. And yeah that I agree with that. Especially that barrel scene and Legolas defying gravity with the rocks. :lol:
The legolas oliphaunt scene still haunts me .

Fingeredmouse

Elijah Wood, for example, in the earlier films put in a far more nuanced and realistic performance and, fundamentally, his experience showed.
I'm not sure that I could disagree more: whilst I agree the hobbit films are shit, I'd judge Freeman a far finer actor than Wood, Wood's performance in the Rings has always lacked nuance for me and I'm pretty sure Freeman was a more experienced actor than Wood at the respective filmings of the Hobbit and the Rings.

Last edited:

Coxy

I'm not sure that I could disagree more: whilst I agree the hobbit films are shit, I'd judge Freeman a far finer actor than Wood, Wood's performance in the Rings has always lacked nuance for me and I'm pretty sure Freeman was a more experienced actor than Wood at the respective filmings of the Hobbit and the Rings.
I agree that Freeman is the better actor - but - Elijah put in a far better performance for me

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Lloyd Owen's in this, which is a blast from the past , and also Peter Mullan, who's a terrific actor.

MiceOnMeth

I only watched fellowship of the ring and that was about 5 years ago and tbh it bored me :lol: are two towers and return of the king much better?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I only watched fellowship of the ring and that was about 5 years ago and tbh it bored me :lol: are two towers and return of the king much better?
Yes but you'll likely find them just as boring. :D

I actually started watching Fellowship last night. Just as entertaining and visually awe-inspiring.
Still haven't finished watching though. I'll leave that for tonight.

MiceOnMeth

Yes but you'll likely find them just as boring. :D

I actually started watching Fellowship last night. Just as entertaining and visually awe-inspiring.
Still haven't finished watching though. I'll leave that for tonight.
I think I had just come off a game of thrones binge when my friend told me to watch LOTR if I loved GOT so my expectations were probably different than what I got with the fellowship. I'll give the films another go before the series comes out

SoCross

If the movie bored you my friend, this genre is not for you.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Is there a directors/longer cut of The Fellowship of the Ring ? Because the one I watched last night had a few moments that I can't for the life of me remember when I watched it in the cinema many moons ago.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Is there a directors/longer cut of The Fellowship of the Ring ? Because the one I watched last night had a few moments that I can't for the life of me remember when I watched it in the cinema many moons ago.
yes there is an extended cut of all three movies.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Fellowship is one of the few movies that are just as good as the book, it was perfect.
The other two weren't as good I thought
I would have to disagree. The reason being that the movie adaptation missed out parts of the book and changed other parts.

Unfortunately this is why it isn't perfect or as good as the books.

I didn't like that the movie left out Tom Bombadil and how The One Ring had no affect on him, along with not having him rescue the Hobbits from the Barrow Wight.

Replacing Glorfindel with Arwen also doesn't sit well with me.

The LOTR movie trilogy is great but all three of the books are better than their movie counterpart.

Last edited:

Amarsdd

I would have to disagree. The reason being that the movie adaptation missed out parts of the book and changed other parts.

I didn't like that the movie left out Tom Bombadil and how The One Ring had no affect on him, along with not having him rescue the Hobbits from the Barrow Wight.

The LOTR movie trilogy is great but all three of the books are better than their movie counterpart.
Of course the books are better! But I think you need to remember it is not only the Tolkien scholars watching these movies. And as much as I would have loved to have seen Tom Bombadil and Glorfindel on screen, but I think removing/replacing them were the right moves for the movie.

tomaldinho1

I think it's one of the few times Jackson's alterations actually made some sense and worked. He changed a lot in the films when you compare them to the books, particularly scenes like you say with Glorfindel and riders at the ford. Bombadil would have only confused things further, not most because there is no certainty what he was meant to be and most watchers to LOTR wouldn't have read the books. Imagine how random the entire Goldberry and Bombadil parts would be to someone who hadn't read the books.

Jackson subsequently made changes purely for drama and CGI which completely destroyed the Hobbit and Mortal Engines but I'm thankful the LOTR changes were more sensible.

Charlie Foley

I don’t mind Bombadil being lifted from the movies either.

The Hobbit trilogy was not good.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Aye, Bombadil would have been shite in the film.

Fellowship (the film) is pefect as is.

SuperiorXI

Aye, Bombadil would have been shite in the film.

Fellowship (the film) is pefect as is.
Haven't read the books but what I could gather from the lore etc was that he was basically some sort of annoying lunatic God that could never die and was used as Deus Ex Machina at least once? Wouldn't have worked in the film.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Haven't read the books but what I could gather from the lore etc was that he was basically some sort of annoying lunatic God that could never die and was used as Deus Ex Machina at least once? Wouldn't have worked in the film.
I think it works in the books but wouldn't work in film as its a fairly long segment where nothing overly happens and given it took a while for Frodo and Sam to finally set off from Hobbiton it would be a big momentum crash and ruin the pacing of the film. I'm glad they took it out. Honestly I think the pacing of Fellowship in particular is pretty much perfect. It's a very well put together film.

Fingeredmouse

I think it works in the books but wouldn't work in film as its a fairly long segment where nothing overly happens and given it took a while for Frodo and Sam to finally set off from Hobbiton it would be a big momentum crash and ruin the pacing of the film. I'm glad they took it out. Honestly I think the pacing of Fellowship in particular is pretty much perfect. It's a very well put together film.
Plus the fact that the Ring has no effect on Tom would undermine all the work they do to build up its menace and early on in the movie at that.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

At least a dozen more on their twitter feed, and they're still updating it...

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Mordor pronunciation continues from the movies with even more emphasis
Tagart meets tolkien
I found he lacked variation and screen presence in his performance which is somewhat understandable because he was still green-behind-the-ears at that point.

Elijah Wood, for example, in the earlier films put in a far more nuanced and realistic performance and, fundamentally, his experience showed.

I do have another issue with the film, but this is a general annoyance I have with most action films, and this is : slow motion.
I loath slow motion filmmaking in action films. It's gratuitous. Its eye rolling. It's lazy.
There to put more emphasis on the emotional weight of a scene when in fact it, more often than not, comes across, ironically, as shallow ,cold and over stylized.
I just hate it so much.
I loved all 3 LotR films, but wood ALMOST killed that for me, I find him a really unlikable frodo, so whiny and drippy, and he has weird eyes. The standout performer as far as hobbits go for me was Sam.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Tagart meets tolkien

I loved all 3 LotR films, but wood ALMOST killed that for me, I find him a really unlikable frodo, so whiny and drippy, and he has weird eyes. The standout performer as far as hobbits go for me was Sam.
I like Elijah Wood and he brought a young innocence to the role of Frodo, he felt like a naive teenager half the time. But I don't overly rate his acting, there are some moments that felt off and they tend to involve him. Sam on the other hand was consistently well acted throughout. He nailed the role. It was interesting because I thought Elijah did a good job in Fellowship, but struggled to portray Frodo's decline.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Wood was the perfect Frodo, and he's a lot more whiny in the books as the ring starts to take him. There's whole chapters of them stumbling about and him rasping and wheezing and screaming out.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Theres just something about wood, I cant get on with him, not just as Frodo, but in anything. Dont know what it is, I cant put my finger on it, something just rubs me the wrong way.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I thought Elijah portrayed Frodo's decline rather well without going over the top.

One issue I had throughout all 3 LOTR films was the effectiveness and depth to Gimli. Really underutilized and became the trilogies comic relief character, which was abit cheap.