Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
LOTR V GOT is just two completely different styles of fantasy. ASOIAF changed the genre, brought us to where we are now were grimdark, brutal, nihilistic cynicism exploring the ugliness of human nature dominates. LOTR, with its epic, sweeping mythological take on grand themes and characters is the one out of place now. The problem is if you take away the genuine sincerity of LOTR and insert the cynicism of GOT to fit modern expectations it is not really LOTR anymore.
Yeah. LOTR is very refreshing now though and I'm glad that it has the same feel as the what it's meant to. I find myself bored by the over the top sex scenes in GOT, just feels overdone at this point.

Personally I'm loving the rings of power show and can't wait for every episode, while House of Dragon I'm just meh with. It'll get better, but each episode feels forced. Maybe I'm bored with the world.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Yeah. LOTR is very refreshing now though and I'm glad that it has the same feel as the what it's meant to. I find myself bored by the over the top sex scenes in GOT, just feels overdone at this point.

Personally I'm loving the rings of power show and can't wait for every episode, while House of Dragon I'm just meh with. It'll get better, but each episode feels forced. Maybe I'm bored with the world.
I feel the exact same. Although I am enjoying HOTD, it feels like a bit of a slog at times. Perhaps having 8 seasons of GoT has done that to me. Rings of Power has me up at 6am on Friday to watch before work, it's something I'm looking forward to each week

justsomebloke

LOTR V GOT is just two completely different styles of fantasy. ASOIAF changed the genre, brought us to where we are now were grimdark, brutal, nihilistic cynicism exploring the ugliness of human nature dominates. LOTR, with its epic, sweeping mythological take on grand themes and characters is the one out of place now. The problem is if you take away the genuine sincerity of LOTR and insert the cynicism of GOT to fit modern expectations it is not really LOTR anymore.
Clearly. In fact, I don't even really think of GOT as essentially fantasy. Aside from some fantastical elements (dragons, white walkers and so on), it's really very grimly realistic. It's a perfectly plausible depiction of ruthless power struggle in a pre-modern society.

bosnian_red

I feel the exact same. Although I am enjoying HOTD, it feels like a bit of a slog at times. Perhaps having 8 seasons of GoT has done that to me. Rings of Power has me up at 6am on Friday to watch before work, it's something I'm looking forward to each week
Yeah like I'll definitely watch all of HotD, but if I compare it to the RoP show then it's just going to be a distant second.

The story for me is very intriguing in RoP, the pacing is great IMO, the visuals are stunning, I love the variety in the world and characters, I'm from Canada so I don't notice any of the accent inconsistencies that people bring up, and they do all this without unnecessarily dark/sexual/rated R scenes when they aren't needed.

It's a fantasy story set in Middle Earth so will always win the nostalgia points, whereas HoD is basically a political show with sex and dragons.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Agreed after binging a lot of series on HBO and Netflix, i've begun to find the over the top sex scenes and nudity a real bore. I'm completely fine with these things being left to the imagination. Although a Galadriel and Sauron sex scene would be something else. Especially if it includes dirty talk.

bosnian_red

Agreed after binging a lot of series on HBO and Netflix, i've begun to find the over the top sex scenes and nudity a real bore. I'm completely fine with these things being left to the imagination. Although a Galadriel and Sauron sex scene would be something else. Especially if it includes dirty talk.
I feel like some sort of nun saying that all the sex scenes are overdone and boring now :lol:
But yeah it's definitely part of it. Was rolling my eyes during the last episode of HoD, it's just unnecessary. After all the GoT, Vikings, Spartacus and so on... Just overdone. The shock factor from the tone of it all probably got boring.

Though I really like The Witcher and feel they got a good blend of it. Maybe because I don't remember it being everywhere in that show and it being more fantasy and less dark/politicky.

Bobski

Clearly. In fact, I don't even really think of GOT as essentially fantasy. Aside from some fantastical elements (dragons, white walkers and so on), it's really very grimly realistic. It's a perfectly plausible depiction of ruthless power struggle in a pre-modern society.
Which is the key for its success and crossover appeal, hooked people with its historical fiction trappings while slowing introducing the fantastical, and would have worked just as well I think with those removed. Companies looking at that success and then snapping up fantasy IP's hoping for a repeat seem to have ignored or ,misunderstood that critical point. Something like The First Law by Abercrombie might do the trick.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Am I the only one that finds this a bit 'alright'. Not great but not bad. Same with hotd too.

Tbh I've preferred wheel of time to both despite the cheaper production and ropey covid hit ending.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Am I the only one that finds this a bit 'alright'. Not great but not bad. Same with hotd too.

Tbh I've preferred wheel of time to both despite the cheaper production and ropey covid hit ending.
I’m with you on the first two sentences. I’d give the episodes a 6, 8, & 7 and a 6.5 overall after being docked half a point for the horse shampoo commercial.

Hot D is streets ahead.

justsomebloke

Which is the key for its success and crossover appeal, hooked people with its historical fiction trappings while slowing introducing the fantastical, and would have worked just as well I think with those removed. Companies looking at that success and then snapping up fantasy IP's hoping for a repeat seem to have ignored or ,misunderstood that critical point. Something like The First Law by Abercrombie might do the trick.
Spot on. In terms of plot function, the dragons really just amount to one party having a special weapon, and the white walkers to the emergence of a catastrophic external threat. You could have done something more or less equivalent with no fantasy at all. And I think you're right about that being the crucial point.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I’m with you on the first two sentences. I’d give the episodes a 6, 8, & 7 and a 6.5 overall after being docked half a point for the horse shampoo commercial.

Hot D is streets ahead.
Yeah something similar for me, all 6s and 7s, which exceeded my expectations going in.

I do wonder if its fantasy burnout playing a part after got, wot, the last kingdom and both of these dropping together despite being very different styles

SparkedIntoLife

This show is a curiosity. I share many of the main criticisms that have been expressed multiple times here. However, I’m still incredibly drawn to it and am continually excited for what will come. That probably points more to the source material and maybe the wonderful scenery and world that’s been created through such high budget cinematography.

Could anyone recommend any similar TV shows with an expansive, intriguing fantasy mythos? I guess GOT/HOTD are obvious ones but I’m looking for something at least slightly less gritty and dark. I plan to revisit the LOTR films. I tried Hobbit again but it was a chore. I enjoyed the recent Dark Crystal and The Storyteller from the late 80s is one of my favourite shows of all time, but both are ultimately child orientated. Any recommendations appreciated.

I’m not a vociferous reader so the Tolkien books might be a hard slog at my current stage of life.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
This show is a curiosity. I share many of the main criticisms that have been expressed multiple times here. However, I’m still incredibly drawn to it and am continually excited for what will come. That probably points more to the source material and maybe the wonderful scenery and world that’s been created through such high budget cinematography.

Could anyone recommend any similar TV shows with an expansive, intriguing fantasy mythos? I guess GOT/HOTD are obvious ones but I’m looking for something at least slightly less gritty and dark. I plan to revisit the LOTR films. I tried Hobbit again but it was a chore. I enjoyed the recent Dark Crystal and The Storyteller from the late 80s is one of my favourite shows of all time, but both are ultimately child orientated. Any recommendations appreciated.

I’m not a vociferous reader so the Tolkien books might be a hard slog at my current stage of life.
His Dark Materials [HBO] is one of my favorite ones going, or at least is the most fun. Some people like Shadow and Bone [netflix] but it veers a bit too cheesy in its presentation for me, similar to Wheel of Time [amazon] in that regard I guess.

caid

The Witcher on Netflix? Its a pretty thin field, particularly where high budget cinematography is concerned. There was a few Terry Pratchet series made by BBC a few years back. They were quite good.
Princess Mononoke? Studio Ghibli has a few adult orientated movies. Tales of Earthsea is an adaptation of a popular series

Godfather

I'm definitely in that boat. It's not exciting enough to get more than an alright but certainly not terribly bad overall. Some cringey moments like the whole horse riding scene here and there but overall ok. Although the only storyline that interests me at this moment is the one down south. The orcs are very well done and it provides some action in constrast to the rather boring storylines of the Hobbits and Galadriel. So far at least.

SparkedIntoLife

His Dark Materials [HBO] is one of my favorite ones going, or at least is the most fun. Some people like Shadow and Bone [netflix] but it veers a bit too cheesy in its presentation for me, similar to Wheel of Time [amazon] in that regard I guess.
The Witcher on Netflix? Its a pretty thin field, particularly where high budget cinematography is concerned. There was a few Terry Pratchet series made by BBC a few years back. They were quite good.
Princess Mononoke? Studio Ghibli has a few adult orientated movies. Tales of Earthsea is an adaptation of a popular series
Much appreciated. Not seen any of these so will check them out.

justsomebloke

His Dark Materials? A bit heavy on steampunk nonsense for my taste, but it's got some philosophical depth.

bosnian_red

Really like The Sandman right now and love the witcher, both on Netflix.

justsomebloke

Pratchett, right. That jogged a few extra entries out of my mind ( partly by association): Good Omens and The Sandman and American Gods. If they can be considered fantasy.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

The Wheel of Time is a somewhat similar fantasy-based world but pales in comparison to the production values on LOTR, still worth a watch though. Have you ever watched the Witcher series on Netflix?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This is probably the only one I haven't seen. Might add this to my list. I love pretty much anything Fantasy.

SparkedIntoLife

His Dark Materials? A bit heavy on steampunk nonsense for my taste, but it's got some philosophical depth.
Really like The Sandman right now and love the witcher, both on Netflix.
The Wheel of Time is a somewhat similar fantasy-based world but pales in comparison to the production values on LOTR, still worth a watch though. Have you ever watched the Witcher series on Netflix?
Not seen any of them. Thanks all. Sorry to slightly derail the thread. If I check any of these out and really enjoy them, I'll probably talk about them on the TV Shows thread.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Does GOT explore the ugliness of human nature, or is GRRM just a pervert?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Still suffering from clunky dialogue at times but episode 4 felt like the best yet, stunning visuals and cinematography (the scenes with the orcs/Arondir being a highlight), and the dwarven music playing as the sun rose was beautiful. Halfway through the season I'd have it at a solid 7.5/10 overall.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Still suffering from clunky dialogue at times but episode 4 felt like the best yet, stunning visuals and cinematography (the scenes with the orcs/Arondir being a highlight), and the dwarven music playing as the sun rose was beautiful. Halfway through the season I'd have it at a solid 7.5/10 overall.
Glad it gets better…because I only made it half way through episode 3 last night. Clunky is generous, the dialogue was fecking painful

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Glad it gets better…because I only made it half way through episode 3 last night. Clunky is generous, the dialogue was fecking painful
I think the dialogue was far better in comparison to the first 3.

there's a new character introduced who I think will be one of the best of the lot. Amazing that the actor has been in two epic fantasy shows.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I think the dialogue was far better in comparison to the first 3.

there's a new character introduced who I think will be one of the best of the lot. Amazing that the actor has been in two epic fantasy shows.
I’ll have to trust you….I hate spoilers :lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
okay fall of numenor definitely happening. Only question is if Halbrand is Sauron or he will be introduced later

Bobski

The show is significantly better when Galadriel is not on screen, and I don't think it is the actor. Their best work is with the Dwarves.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The show is significantly better when Galadriel is not on screen, and I don't think it is the actor. Their best work is with the Dwarves.
Khazad-dum is spectacular. And yeah, I am not feeling Galadriel who I would rather not see despite her beauty. Give me more Elrond, or Elendil who I could just listen to talk for like a whole episode.

I‘d even sooner spend time with the Harfoots whom everyone seems to hate. That was disappointing this episode as I’ve switched my The Stranger theory from
a blue wizard to a balrog and I need more evidence.

Bobski

Khazad-dum is spectacular. And yeah, I am not feeling Galadriel who I would rather not see despite her beauty. Give me more Elrond, or Elendil who I could just listen to talk for like a whole episode.

I‘d even sooner spend time with the Harfoots whom everyone seems to hate. That was disappointing this episode as I’ve switched my The Stranger theory from
a blue wizard to a balrog and I need more evidence.
I think the potential is there for it to be an outstanding show, but they need to massively upgrade their writing team to get there next season.