Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Red the Bear

Something less generic
There were some battles in 2nd or 3rd move I think.

Battles in The Hobbit.

Really?

Come of it.
It was in the end of the book as well although it was treated with much more humor with him getting knocked out in the middle of it and all that.

Herman Toothrot

I get your point, but looking at the premise that ROP is a prequel to the LOTR movies this now suggests that there was an ethnical cleansing of elves, dwarves and hobbits that made them all get rid of their black people. That makes me truly uncomfortable.

I would have liked much more to just include a good Haradrim as part of the main cast to get diversity.
:lol:

What happened to Elrond's chin? Galadriel looks like a different person. I think if you can get over these you can get over that, but the idea of a kind of harrowing Tolkien ethnic cleansing drama is an interesting one.

For me, these are absolutely not in the same canon. I don't care if they're intended to be, they're just not.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don’t think I’ll ever get over that weird Galadriel horse riding scene.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Elrond was very good. Not sure why you'd pick over one of few redeeming features of the show. Galadriel looked decent too, they just made her character unlikable. Again, all down to the writing.

I don’t think I’ll ever get over that weird Galadriel horse riding scene.
Yup, why they decided it was a good idea to add that, feck knows. I mean Cate Blanchett pulled some weird faces at times too but bloody hell guys.

Honestly though people whining about actors not looking exactly the same as the films should simply never have watched the show. We can't clone actors and CGI de aging sucks gigantic balls. If you're going to quibble about someone's chin then don't watch the show. The hate the show got was overboard, way too many YouTube wankers stoking up the hate.

flameinthesun

Yeah I really don't take any offense in more inclusion at all but the focus should have been on... well making a better show.
That argument makes out like wanting to create a diverse cast diverted from making a quality product when in reality whether they wanted a diverse cast or not that would have had no impact on the quality of the show.

Godfather

That argument makes out like wanting to create a diverse cast diverted from making a quality product when in reality whether they wanted a diverse cast or not that would have had no impact on the quality of the show.
I think their priorities might have been wrong who knows. Should have focused on proper writers than making this diverse enough.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Swimming back across the Sea and just happening to bump into Sauron will never be forgotten.

Oh yes and that line about the stone in the first episode.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I get your point, but looking at the premise that ROP is a prequel to the LOTR movies this now suggests that there was an ethnical cleansing of elves, dwarves and hobbits that made them all get rid of their black people. That makes me truly uncomfortable.

I would have liked much more to just include a good Haradrim as part of the main cast to get diversity.
RoP is not a prequel to the movies.

Bole Top

I only watched it recently for the first time. I like the main actress (what a name, Morfydd), Arondir and Durin, while the Harfoot parts in general I found rather boring. I don't have any complaints on casting. the only real issue of the show is that it simply isn't as good as it's supposed to be, but you don't really think about that during the first watch. right after I finished it, I rewatched LOTR trilogy for the first time in about 10 years I think. only when you compare the show with original trilogy you realize how good such show could actually be and yet, this doesn't even come close to offering similar experience. I mean, I like it and would rate it with 6.5 or 7, but I bet simply liking it isn't enough for people behind the show given the effort and money spent on it. it simply doesn't hit like it should.

and yeah, that scene in prison was brutal. stormtroopers look like able warriors compared to those guards.

cafecillos

The majority of the dialogue was fine. Being a book nerd I quite enjoyed all the subtle references and the use of different languages as we didn't really get much of that in the films and was utterly abandoned in the horrific hobbit films.

They had good ideas and did some things well but ultimately they were let down by crappy writers (like most of Hollywood) and some poor decisions in the marketing.

It wasn't a horrific show, I've seen many worse but it was deeply frustrating as a book nerd. I felt compelled to defend the show from the abuse it got from arseholes online. It brought the worst out of some people.

Just wish these shows actually had competent people that understand how to write story's. The entire Sauron arc in this show made no sense, at all.
This is a fair post, I'm not a Tolkien book "nerd" but nonetheless I was able to recognise the show had many flaws, some of them quite serious. But it's also true that a huge amount of the criticism was/is overblown because there were too many blacks and dressed women not in kitchens. I should know better that to let myself be dragged into the cesspit of hate that is "adult" fandom bit I sometimes just can't let it go :(

caid

This is a fair post, I'm not a Tolkien book "nerd" but nonetheless I was able to recognise the show had many flaws, some of them quite serious. But it's also true that a huge amount of the criticism was/is overblown because there were too many blacks and dressed women not in kitchens. I should know better that to let myself be dragged into the cesspit of hate that is "adult" fandom bit I sometimes just can't let it go :(
I just dont buy it to be honest. There were black characters and plenty of women in the GoT spinoff which was well received. The 'only racists hate my tv show' argument just doesn't hold water when its attached to such poor quality. I'm sure there's some people crying about the casting decisions, racists gonna racist, but its not the reason for its poor reception.

cafecillos

I just dont buy it to be honest. There were black characters and plenty of women in the GoT spinoff which was well received. The 'only racists hate my tv show' argument just doesn't hold water when its attached to such poor quality. I'm sure there's some people crying about the casting decisions, racists gonna racist, but its not the reason for its poor reception.
I didn't say that though, not sure why you felt the need to caricaturise what I actually posted, especially when I very explicitly acknowledged the show has plenty of flaws.

caid

I didn't say that though, not sure why you felt the need to caricaturise what I actually posted, especially when I very explicitly acknowledged the show has plenty of flaws.
It wasn't really directed at you. Just a general thought.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It wasn't really directed at you. Just a general thought.
Sorry, that's wrong. You clearly didn't follow the pre air videos on YouTube where people moaned and whined that not all the Races were white and using Tolkiens lore as a way of getting pissed that the show had 'gone woke'. The expectations of GoT and LOTR are different, GoT had people of colour in the show from the offset, it was expected. LOTR was very white.

Watch some of the youtube videos if you dare. The amount of bullshit hate it received was a load of nonsense, just people hating on shit because they know they'll get views. Some of the sub reddits were horrific reading too.

caid

Sorry, that's wrong. You clearly didn't follow the pre air videos on YouTube where people moaned and whined that not all the Races were white and using Tolkiens lore as a way of getting pissed that the show had 'gone woke'. The expectations of GoT and LOTR are different, GoT had people of colour in the show from the offset, it was expected. LOTR was very white.

Watch some of the youtube videos if you dare. The amount of bullshit hate it received was a load of nonsense, just people hating on shit because they know they'll get views. Some of the sub reddits were horrific reading too.
I dont need to watch youtube video's to realise racism exists or is being propogated online. I dont click on the video or watch or engage with them. Its just not particularly relevant to the quality of the show.
I get that it cant be completely blanked and needs to dismissed and its created a situation where theres scepticism about the good faith of criticism. But part of me just wants to get past that and talk about a silly tv show.
I'll shut up to be honest. I have no right to ignore the reaction and police the conversation. Carry on

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I dont need to watch youtube video's to realise racism exists or is being propogated online. I dont click on the video or watch or engage with them. Its just not particularly relevant to the quality of the show.
I get that it cant be completely blanked and needs to dismissed and its created a situation where theres scepticism about the good faith of criticism. But part of me just wants to get past that and talk about a silly tv show.
I'll shut up to be honest. I have no right to ignore the reaction and police the conversation. Carry on
If you read the last few pages none of us doubt the quality of the show ranged from disappointing to terrible, but that doesn't alter the fact that there was a big backlash even before it aired by a group of angry noisy 'fans'.

Ironically, I felt that the Dwarves and Elf were actually the stronger parts of the show.

caid

If you read the last few pages none of us doubt the quality of the show ranged from disappointing to terrible, but that doesn't alter the fact that there was a big backlash even before it aired by a group of angry noisy 'fans'.

Ironically, I felt that the Dwarves and Elf were actually the stronger parts of the show.
I mean yeah, the far right are noisy and latch onto stuff. Its annoying. I'm just at a point where i'm not even bothered engaging them, it feels like a trap to go beyond calling them dickheads and moving on. Especially on stuff as trivial as black actors in stuff.
I thought the Dwarves were interesting. Elves were such a mixed bag of stories, its hard to say one way or the other, the dark elf father of orcs guy was great, that storyline nearly makes the wider show worth it. I quite liked the hobbits too for some reason. I kind of felt like i gave it a good chance and there was some moments i quite enjoyed. But the last couple of episodes were such an outrageous car crash that they made everything leading up to it retroactively terrible. The contrivances and nonsense plot was just too much in too many of the storylines.

Tyrion

As for the TV show, it was fairly shite overall and completely shown up by that game of thrones spin off, but the casting and portrayal of elrond was an absolute farce, was like a character assassination.
I thought Elrond was pretty good. One of the better characters actually.

Was it worse than Hobbit films or equal?
I think its worse. The Hobbit seems like a good story stretched way too far like when movie series based on novels do a part 1 and part 2. The Rings of Power is a weird story were several parts are unrelated, only the villains are relatable and the plot makes little sense.

Comically bad. How did it get past the cutting room floor?
I could easily believe she used a sword to disarm them and force them in but instead they made it look like they're playing hide and seek and she's trying to usher them into a hiding spot.

tomaldinho1

On this point it just seems a big missed opportunity. Fantasy by its nature is probably the easiest genre to insert different races, LOTR literally has multiple distinct races to play with. It just has to be done in a way that’s not childish.

For example Arondir is a great casting, he has that striking look that is important for elves. Why not then make his people all diversity casting, it would actually make a lot more sense than having a random single black dude surrounded by all his Arian mates?

Instead it seems like they threw some darts at a board of characters and just said these guys are now diversity.

Herman Toothrot

Elrond was very good. Not sure why you'd pick over one of few redeeming features of the show. Galadriel looked decent too, they just made her character unlikable. Again, all down to the writing.

Yup, why they decided it was a good idea to add that, feck knows. I mean Cate Blanchett pulled some weird faces at times too but bloody hell guys.

Honestly though people whining about actors not looking exactly the same as the films should simply never have watched the show. We can't clone actors and CGI de aging sucks gigantic balls. If you're going to quibble about someone's chin then don't watch the show. The hate the show got was overboard, way too many YouTube wankers stoking up the hate.
I think you've misunderstood my point. I was saying that you could have actors of colour in the television series without it causing a continuity error with the Peter Jackson films. I was citing the different actors playing Elrond and Galadriel as an example of how it is impossible to remain completely consistent between the two without it ruining the canon (despite me personally considering these to be completely separate interpretations with no relationship). I'd previously praised Elrond's story in the Rings of Power just a few posts ago. It was, mithril origin story aside, excellent, as was the performance.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Continuity? Between this show and the movies? Why would that be remotely important to anyone?

Herman Toothrot

Continuity? Between this show and the movies? Why would that be remotely important to anyone?
I was replying to this

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The movies are an Adaption of the books, the series is as well (of the appendices to be precise). So my expectation was that the casting would roughly fit the descriptions in the books and movies. Casting black actors for elves, hobbits and dwarves doesn't fit that.

However I am not fundamentally against such changes, but they have to make sense in itself. Having a single black elf doesn't make sense at all. Having a tribe of them makes sense, but this isn’t shown.

So there is no in-world explanation why Arondir is different (=black) than all the others and also no explanation why there are no black elves a few thousand years later. And that's just bad writing.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The movies are an Adaption of the books, the series is as well (of the appendices to be precise). So my expectation was that the casting would roughly fit the descriptions in the books and movies. Casting black actors for elves, hobbits and dwarves doesn't fit that.

However I am not fundamentally against such changes, but they have to make sense in itself. Having a single black elf doesn't make sense at all. Having a tribe of them makes sense, but this isn’t shown.

So there is no in-world explanation why Arondir is different (=black) than all the others and also no explanation why there are no black elves a few thousand years later. And that's just bad writing.
This is just daft. Who cares. Elves are immortal; his family, if he has one, could be anywhere on middle-earth, or maybe in the undying lands. Or he could've been one of the first elves, who wasn't born at all but simply came into being when they were woken up.

He mentioned growing up in Beleriand, which has long since been drowned, maybe he was the only one of his people to survive?

This is the last thing the people behind the show need to be worrying about, and thankfully I don't think they are.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
This is just daft. Who cares. Elves are immortal; his family, if he has one, could be anywhere on middle-earth, or maybe in the undying lands. Or he could've been one of the first elves, who wasn't born at all but simply came into being when they were woken up.

He mentioned growing up in Beleriand, which has long since been drowned, maybe he was the only one of his people to survive?

This is the last thing the people behind the show need to be worrying about, and thankfully I don't think they are.
Well we know what happened to the elves living in Beleriand as we can read the Silmarillion and he is definitely not the only survivor from there. What you say is possible otherwise but still he is an obvious outlier which isn't explained at all. I care about that because it's lazy writing when your world doesn't make sense. This didn't happen in the movies and the books, there characters are roughly similar to each other so that it is believable that they are one people, or they are mysterious figures anyway that aren't claimed to be part of certain people.

Spoony

The People's President
The only let down is a lack of dwarf sex or interracial relationships. Dwarves doing hobbits, elves shagging orcs etc etc.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
A tribe of black elves... :wenger:

I understand your point Stefan, personally I don't see that as necessary.
I get that, and it could be any explanation, it's just the total lack of it that grinds my gears as I want to understand a fantasy world and it rules. But if you just want to enjoy a story and don't care that much about these things I get that you see this as unnecessary.