g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The LVG is a fat-headed stubborn arrogant fatso thread

Man-United

It was still a weird sub. He brought him on in time for penalties - and then he was only the sixth taker.
We didn't have a better pen taker and we were 11 vs 10 so it was logical to sub, was it, Wes Brown? in case it went that far as it did so in the end great choice from SAF.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It was still a weird sub. He brought him on in time for penalties - and then he was only the sixth taker.
There was a study done by a group looking at penalty shootouts that had looked at who scores and who doesn't. Statistically young ones do better than the ones who are in the prime of their careers. So if you might need someone who seldom takes penalties to take one in a pressure situation, go for a youngster.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
I think he was absolutely ruthless when it came to selling players and kind of put United on the back foot a squad fergie had formed over years.
No way should have Zaha, Nani, Rafael or Evans been sold, the worse was that he got rid of RVP and Hernandez when we needed goals in our team badly.

Jose would loved, Nani, Zaha, Rafael and RVP in his squad at United. United hasn't got a better wing currency then Nani and thats facts
Nani is maybe still good enough for Manchester United (although Mourinho prefers a more disciplined wide player) but there's a reason why Rafael and Van Persie have hardly been tearing things up for Europa League level teams since leaving and Chicharito is at West Ham.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I really wish these threads would stop, especially this one classless, LvG is gone, history, never to return, lets move on. There are enough divided opinions about him and the one half will not convince the other about their way of thinking or the impression they have of the man. It is the same discussion we have about Mourinho, enough never wanted him here and are still not convinced of him after last season and others see him as the saviour of our club. Should just agree to disagree and move on.
If the people who think lvg invented football are allowed a thread then those who think he was a fraudulent cnut stealing salary are also allowed their say

Idxomer

I remember very clearly what happened in his first season almost game by game, the 2nd season was just full of insignificant and boring games. I don't know how he only missed the 4th place on goal difference, probably because the league was incredibly weak that year with Leicester winning it and the imploding of both Chelsea and Liverpool. Actually now that I thought about it, him not getting 4th in that year was alone a sackable offence without mentioning the dull football, the weird transfer dealings, and putting almost all his eggs in the Rooney basket attacking wise.

Still, I don't hate him and appreciate some of the stuff he did in his time at the club that was mentioned in the few positive posts about him in this thread.

Reactions: Niall

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The fact that DDG played after it was impossible to sell him doesnt change the fact that DDG didnt play beforehand.
Doesn't mean Van Gaal was actively pushing him out. He said De Gea was not mentally focused/ready to play.

stevoc

I think he was absolutely ruthless when it came to selling players and kind of put United on the back foot a squad fergie had formed over years.
No way should have Zaha, Nani, Rafael or Evans been sold, the worse was that he got rid of RVP and Hernandez when we needed goals in our team badly.

Jose would loved, Nani, Zaha, Rafael and RVP in his squad at United. United hasn't got a better wing currency then Nani and thats facts
It was more thoughtless than ruthless. He got rid of way too many players in too short a space of time.

It was Giggs that suggested bringing him on to take a penalty if i remember correctly.

acnumber9

He stuck to his plan
He didn't really stick to his plan though. Is the whole point of knocking the ball around aimlessly for 90 minutes not that eventually the opposition will tire and an opening will arise? What Van Gaal did was have the team pointlessly knock it around for 70 minutes then throw Fellaini on and have the team forget even passing the ball into sensible positions to cross and played long balls towards Fellaini for the rest of the game.

On the subject of Van Gaal as a whole the football was obviously boring. Much more so than it is now. Mourinho may set us up much more negatively in some games but they at least attack with pace in other games. The biggest criticism I can give Van Gaal aside from that were his awful transfer dealings. He was obsessed with keeping the ball and then signed players like Schneiderlin who were terrified of the ball. Only Blind and Schweinsteiger were the kind of players who were comfortable playing the way he wanted Utd to play and one of them couldn't play past ten minutes without being plastered in sweat because he was so unfit he'd struggle in an over 40's league.

Ainu

Some of the shit we serve up now is just as bad as Van Gaal's worst.
Mourinho's worst isn't pretty, but on average we're Brazil 1970 compared to our consistently soul destroying "performances" in LVG's second season. Even the game against Spurs, which so many here found to be boring (I didn't) would've been a highlight of attacking excitement in those dark times. We consistently failed to create chances. Say what you want about Mourinho's most ugly defensive performances, they're not the norm. In most games this season, it feels like we created as many chances in a single game as we would in a month or worse under Van Gaal.

Minimalist

One of LVGs biggest issues and one that lost my support ultimately was his unrelenting backing of Rooney. His second season was fecked as soon he believed he was good enough as a squad player, never mind our only main striker. Baffling stuff.

Charles Miller

The sound of him filling a glass of water during the press conference was annoying for some reason.

Kapardin

This was it for me. Things looked promising towards the end of his still don't know why he abandoned the 4-3-3 that had us outplaying the better teams in the league. I remember thinking all we needed was an upgrade up front for Rooney, an upgrade on the left for Young and a class CM, and we'd be good to go for season 2, but he just completely scrapped everything instead.
He literally stumbled upon the formation. It was purely by accident. Then got cocky about the wins until we lost to Chelsea. We go for shecond plaishhh...

Absoutely hated his time in-charge, but really, the man was a walking meme during his tenure. The sheer amount of stupid/hilarious moments he produced is quite staggering.

iKeano

Anyone said putting on Nick Powell while chasing game against Wolfsburg in Germany.

I remember him saying finishing 5th is better than 6th before his last league game.

Also this hidden gem :

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1862/pr...easier-for-leicester-to-sign-players-than-man
Came here to add this. Sticks Powell on for Mata in a must-win game to keep us in CL.... ships Powell out on loan weeks later. Idiot of a manager - I still hate seeing his arrogant, shovel of a head, him and his clip-board, rooted to his seat.

Laurentiu amt

Came here to add this. Sticks Powell on for Mata in a must-win game to keep us in CL.... ships Powell out on loan weeks later. Idiot of a manager - I still hate seeing his arrogant, shovel of a head, him and his clip-board, rooted to his seat.
I think he just tried his luck, it's not like he intentionally hurt the club, he's not an idiot.
He always tried to push youth, youth can explode in some important matches and surpass the normal expectations.

He tried to rebuild the club from the bottom up, at least the guy tried, something that can't be said about feking moyesz.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think he just tried his luck, it's not like he intentionally hurt the club, he's not an idiot.
He always tried to push youth, youth can explode in some important matches and surpass the normal expectations.

He tried to rebuild the club from the bottom up, at least the guy tried, something that can't be said about feking moyesz.
He certainly tried but he was very definitely an idiot.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The best thing about LVG is that he wasn't David Moyes

The worst thing about him is that he was a feckin' lunatic, and a crap manager.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
It tickles me the amount of United fans who still mention that Powell substitution, Sir Matt always said don't be scared to try things, even if you know it probably won't work as it's better to try something not expected and fail, than not try things at all.

We needed one goal, we weren't even getting close to their area, the Wolfsburg players and Manager wouldn't have been aware of Nick Powell, and he was the only player in our squad at the time that had the confidence, and technique to unleash one right or left footed from 30/35 yards out

He slaps one in from distance, and we go through, would LvG have got an credit ?

el3mel

It tickles me the amount of United fans who still mention that Powell substitution, Sir Matt always said don't be scared to try things, even if you know it probably won't work as it's better to try something not expected and fail, than not try things at all.

We needed one goal, we weren't even getting close to their area, the Wolfsburg players and Manager wouldn't have been aware of Nick Powell, and he was the only player in our squad at the time that had the confidence, and technique to unleash one right or left footed from 30/35 yards out

He slaps one in from distance, and we go through, would LvG have got an credit ?
Throwing a young player in a game like this while we're chasing the result is idiotic. Letting him leave the club shortly after this match is even more idiotic. It's as he supposed Powell ( who didn't play a single minute during the season previously ) will bring him the win and when it didn't happen he threw him away.

How can anyone not see this as an idiotic decision is beyond me. If you have confidence in Powell to bring him results why didn't you play him previously during the season ?

He was just desperate. That's all.

Kapardin

Throwing a young player in a game like this while we're chasing the result is idiotic. Letting him leave the club shortly after this match is even more idiotic. It's as he supposed Powell ( who didn't play a single minute during the season previously ) will bring him the win and when it didn't happen he threw him away.

How can anyone not see this as an idiotic decision is beyond me. If you have confidence in Powell to bring him results why didn't you play him previously during the season ?

Its' simple. All subs appeared to be planned beforehand during his time. LvG planned to sub Mata off for Powell and he went through with it regardless of the situation.

LvG to be fair, had a track record with youth before he came to United. However, at United, all he did was to randomly throw youth into the spotlight hoping some of them came good. He got lucky with Rashford but Powell was just one of his many daft experiments that didn't work.

He was a true mad scientist.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

Powell had been out on loan at Wigan Athletic but had returned to United injured, so that's two reasons he'd not featured previous to the Wolfsburg match, once he was fit again, and coming on in Germany suggests he was he sent back out on loan again.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
That WAS me being kind
To be honest, he did try his best, but his best was just a bore-fest.
I think the thread title is a little harsh.
What really gets me is when we see MUFC fans post threads if we win a few games and putting it down to LVG and his foundations. That really does irritate me.

Now, the guy who does deserve name calling is David Moyes. That guy single handedly set us back 3 years. Jose has referenced this, where he stated that since SAF left, there was no evolution to our play and now he is having to play catch up with other clubs. SAF built a winning team in 2 decades and Moyes ripped it to shreds in 10 months. It doesn't surprise me that he has not lasted in any job, for more than a few months, getting fired or resigning either before or at the end of the season. David Moyes deserves all the vitriol he gets and more.

Laurentiu amt

Its' simple. All subs appeared to be planned beforehand during his time. LvG planned to sub Mata off for Powell and he went through with it regardless of the situation.

LvG to be fair, had a track record with youth before he came to United. However, at United, all he did was to randomly throw youth into the spotlight hoping some of them came good. He got lucky with Rashford but Powell was just one of his many daft experiments that didn't work.

He was a true mad scientist.
I guess this kind of raps it up for me.

Camilo

Say what you want about him, but he was a likable guy who loved being here. I also don't think I've ever been more excited about signings than during his time at the club - anticipation of the good things to come are often better than the reality.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I liked LvG the person and character, I hated LvG the manager. The fact that his conferences and interviews were more entertaining than our football says it all.

It's ridiculous how you view Moyes and Van Gaal, when compared to Mourinho.
he's just a WUM, ignore him.