The Manager's Press Conference | 21 July 3:30am BST

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
"Yeah, he can also fall off the stairs." (Journalists waiting for qualifying statement, unsure whether to laugh or not). "That is my answer."

Excellent.

YzWayne

Whats all this about Rooney and the stairs?
LVG was asked about his thoughts about Rooney appearing in Duncan Ferguson Testimonial match, with a chance he might get injured. LVG just responded he can get injured by climbing the stairs.

Drifter

American
He's not very good at these press conferences. Interesting what he said about Darmian .Not what the fan boys and Valencia detractors wanted to hear.

Rezyuz

He's not very good at these press conferences. Interesting what he said about Darmian .Not what the fan boys and Valencia detractors wanted to hear.
Depends what you find good.

Hes one of the only managers that doesn't talk political correct bullshit all the time and just says what he actually thinks. I see more value in that then the cowards who just dodge every question and say standard non informative answers to those they chose to answer.

World Game

"He can also fall off stairs"

"Mike Smalling"

"I have listened to you and think you have more knowledge than me"
:lol:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Are you kidding? He's awesome at these press conferences, even if its bad news.

MaNNe-

I have absolutely no doubt that if Darmian plays well, he will get that starting spot off Valencia. Much like how Herrera earned his starting spot last year. LvG is a good manager and will play the player in form

Rednotdead

Valencia is not, never has been and never will be an acceptable right back for a team with CL ambitions. Could you see him being first choice right back for any other top European team? Of course not.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Valencia is not, never has been and never will be an acceptable right back for a team with CL ambitions. Could you see him being first choice right back for any other top European team? Of course not.
There's no doubt about that. I think Van Gaal has worded it wrongly in this pres-conference as he already said that Darmian will be fighting with Valencia for the right-back spot. I think he's just trying to say that no new signing is a guaranteed starter on paper or otherwise the player already at the club will be discouraged in a way.

Saying that Darmian's been signed as a back-up for Valencia is wrong and I don't think Van Gaal means it. As a whole, it's wrong over-analysing his words as his English isn't very good and he can't always express himself properly.

marcomanmufc

I completely agree, but i wonder if he's meaning for the time being. Darmian will need time to adapt to the team and hopefully learn more of the language. I'd be happy just sticking with Valencia until LVG is happy with Darmian. I have no doubt that he'll make that position his own as soon as he gets the game time!

Also Valencia hasn't played yet this tour, so unless he gets over his injury and plays both games vs Barca and PSG, Darmian will start the season anyway.

Mali_Zeus

There's no doubt about that. I think Van Gaal has worded it wrongly in this pres-conference as he already said that Darmian will be fighting with Valencia for the right-back spot. I think he's just trying to say that no new signing is a guaranteed starter on paper or otherwise the player already at the club will be discouraged in a way.

Saying that Darmian's been signed as a back-up for Valencia is wrong and I don't think Van Gaal means it. As a whole, it's wrong over-analysing his words as his English isn't very good and he can't always express himsels properly.
Exactly, some posters take his every word like a gospel. Like he meant Darmian will only play 10 or 20 minutes every few game. But Valencia is 1st choice RB until Darmian settles down and claims his spot with his good peformances and good training.

legball

LVG has clearly worded it badly, I think he means that we have signed Darmian as the second right back along with Valencia [in the context that he was actually talking about having 2 players per position]. His English sucks, stop over analyzing everything.

LilRicky

Regarding the Darmian quote (cover to Valencia), he most likely said that to get the best out of Darmian. He may well be the RB for the Italian national side but by saying this it keeps him grounded and working hard.

Also how would Valencia feel being dropped within days of Darmian signing?

Its about personalties and ego's.

Darmian will be given his chance and he'll most likely take it and he'll be the 1st choice RB.

As for the striker, it really could be absolutely anyone. Very intrigued! Him being so open about it and giving the media any kind of idea suggests to me we should have a new forward by the end of week or early next week, sounds very confident that it is close to being a done deal.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
LVG has clearly worded it badly, I think he means that we have signed Darmian as the second right back along with Valencia [in the context that he was actually talking about having 2 players per position]. His English sucks, stop over analyzing everything.
spot on.

NK86

Exactly, some posters take his every word like a gospel. Like he meant Darmian will only play 10 or 20 minutes every few game. But Valencia is 1st choice RB until Darmian settles down and claims his spot with his good peformances and good training.
By settling down, you mean warm the bench? Because how else will he settle down if he does not play in the matches.

Mali_Zeus

By settling down, you mean warm the bench? Because how else will he settle down if he does not play in the matches.
He certainly wont warm the bench all the time.

If we would throw him from the 1st minute and he couldnt handle the PL instantly people would cry why wasnt he given time to settle down.

Raptori

Special needs
Regarding the Darmian quote (cover to Valencia), he most likely said that to get the best out of Darmian. He may well be the RB for the Italian national side but by saying this it keeps him grounded and working hard.

Also how would Valencia feel being dropped within days of Darmian signing?

Its about personalties and ego's.

Darmian will be given his chance and he'll most likely take it and he'll be the 1st choice RB.

As for the striker, it really could be absolutely anyone. Very intrigued! Him being so open about it and giving the media any kind of idea suggests to me we should have a new forward by the end of week or early next week, sounds very confident that it is close to being a done deal.
Seems unlikely, by all accounts Darmian is an absolute model pro who wouldn't need that kind of handling. I think the others are right, it's just LVG not wording things clearly. :)

Getsme

Except he is.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am a big fan of Darmian but its only fair for him to win his first team place. I am also glad that LVG had vindicated my past comments about having 2 players for every role. I've lost count of the amount of people claiming I am a muppet because of saying the same thing while trying to defend the 'can do the job' players whose only asset was that they were 'versatile'

Mali_Zeus

I am a big fan of Darmian but its only fair for him to win his first team place. I am also glad that LVG had vindicated my past comments about having 2 players for every role. I've lost count of the amount of people claiming I am a muppet because of saying the same thing while trying to defend the 'can do the job' players whose only asset was that they were 'versatile'
Its only logical to have 2 players for every role, who vindicated you? :)

SirFergie

I think he's exceptionally good at press conferences, even though his English isn't very good at times. He answers the questions on HIS terms and not the reporters' which is what Fergie used to do.

ottosec

Disappointing press conference. I expected LVG to at least slap Jamie Jackson.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
No, he clearly says 'behind valencia'. There is no translation issue there trust me.

Nope

You are 100% correct
No, he isnt.

He's telling Darmian he has to fight for his place, which is completely normal.

All he has to do is prove he's a better right back than valencia which will take about 45 mins.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Ups wrong question, I mean you're certainly not a muppet if you think we need 2 players for every roll.
I strongly believe that a top club should have 2 players compete for each role (in their natural role). While I do acknowledge that some players can play in different roles and do well I also believe that these sort of players are very rare. I was never a big fan of playing full backs as CB, CBs as full backs, midfielders in defense and defenders in midfield.

Getsme

He is what?
He is good enough; he has proven in the past that he is good enough. In fact he is seen as a better RB than Rafael in the eyes of LVG and managed to keep him out of the team for an entire season despite it not being his natural position. He has been trusted by the last three managers at the Club and despite all the grumblings on here he has played pretty well to date.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
No, he clearly says 'behind valencia'. There is no translation issue there trust me.

Nope

No, he isnt.

He's telling Darmian he has to fight for his place, which is completely normal.

All he has to do is prove he's a better right back than valencia which will take about 45 mins.
You are taking the word "behind" Valencia too literally
As LVG's intention was to have 2 top players for every position
Both Valencia and Darmian have equal chance of playing RB
Every player is fighting for their position in the team, the only player who is more secure in his position is Rooney because he is captain
Valencia has the advantage of having played PL football whereas Darmian hasn't but LVG will select the player who he thinks will do the job, this can depend on many factors, opposition, style of play etc not only because they have PL experience
You must understand the philosophy ;)

slir32

Valencia will be the starting/main whatever you want to call it RB and Damian will have to displace him with top form. I can't see how an unproven player will be automatically handed the starting RB position.