The Manager's Press Conference | 21 July 3:30am BST

Rednotdead

He is good enough; he has proven in the past that he is good enough. In fact he is seen as a better RB than Rafael in the eyes of LVG and managed to keep him out of the team for an entire season despite it not being his natural position. He has been trusted by the last three managers at the Club and despite all the grumblings on here he has played pretty well to date.
He wasn't played at right back by Fergie or Moyes, he was played as an attacking winger. In my view his defensive qualities won't be sufficient against a top CL side.

Getsme

He wasn't played at right back by Fergie or Moyes, he was played as an attacking winger. In my view his defensive qualities won't be sufficient against a top CL side.
If I recall he was played as right back plenty of time under Fergie.

NK86

He certainly wont warm the bench all the time.

If we would throw him from the 1st minute and he couldnt handle the PL instantly people would cry why wasnt he given time to settle down.
Well you have to take that risk. It is not like he is a teenager who has not had much exposure to high level football. He is a seasoned pro. In any case, he would have to face opponents some time and the best way to acclimatise to any league is to play in it.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He is good enough; he has proven in the past that he is good enough. In fact he is seen as a better RB than Rafael in the eyes of LVG and managed to keep him out of the team for an entire season despite it not being his natural position. He has been trusted by the last three managers at the Club and despite all the grumblings on here he has played pretty well to date.
He isn't good enough, certainly not to be a starter anyway. He's strong and fast but his lack of positional awareness costs us goals and his attacking threat is shite.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am not surprised he sees Darmian as no 2 fullback. He certainly has more talent than Valencia but he will need to adapt to the EPL and to the RB role. There's a big difference between being a wingback (were the entire flank is his oyster) and as a RB and Darmian need to learn to restrain his instinct and focus more on defending than attacking. Considering we've got no VDS, Rio and Vidic covering his arse he certainly wont be able to do an Evra and forget the defense

Amir

I'm not surprised he called Smalling 'Mike'. When I first saw Smalling this summer it took me a second to realise who that is with that bit of hair on his head.

Dion

Valencia was played at rightback by SAF and Moyes because Rafael was always injured.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
any working vids of the presser knocking about? The couple of links I found are dead already

Stretch

It's quite clear he meant we need 2 players per position and that we bough Darmian as that other player for the RB position. It's all put into perspective when he says we now have to play McNair at RB due to Valencia's injury.

Mali_Zeus

Well you have to take that risk. It is not like he is a teenager who has not had much exposure to high level football. He is a seasoned pro. In any case, he would have to face opponents some time and the best way to acclimatise to any league is to play in it.
Nobody said he's a teenager, even better and more experienced players than him would need acclimatising. He'll play, just not from the start.

NK86

Nobody said he's a teenager, even better and more experienced players than him would need acclimatising. He'll play, just not from the start.
I hope that is not the manager's thinking. If a new player is better than your current option, you give him the chance to prove it. Keeping him on the bench won't help. Not to mention, that we need to have a settled back four as soon as possible if we want to have an assault on the PL. If we get Pedro as Di Maria's replacement, won't you want him to start ahead of Young? Or would you he wait his time on the bench? Every point counts in the end and we need to get off to a good start unlike last season where we faltered massively. You cannot afford to let a big gap open up with the front runners because you are worried that your better players are not ready.

For that to happen we need to start players who, at least on paper, are better fits. If they don't perform surely give the chance to the other option but not starting with your best bet is silly IMO.

Mali_Zeus

I hope that is not the manager's thinking. If a new player is better than your current option, you give him the chance to prove it. Keeping him on the bench won't help. Not to mention, that we need to have a settled back four as soon as possible if we want to have an assault on the PL. If we get Pedro as Di Maria's replacement, won't you want him to start ahead of Young? Or would you he wait his time on the bench? Every point counts in the end and we need to get off to a good start unlike last season where we faltered massively. You cannot afford to let a big gap open up with the front runners because you are worried that your better players are not ready.

For that to happen we need to start players who, at least on paper, are better fits. If they don't perform surely give the chance to the other option but not starting with your best bet is silly IMO.
That's the thing though, he is better 'on paper'. Ne needs to prove it at training and on the pitch and I'm sure he'll do that quickly.

We have few new players and starting all of them from the start will be risky enough so I have no issue in one or 2 waiting their chances from the bench. We need a good start but its a two edged sword, starting with a completely different starting lineup from last year could cause problems too.

NK86

That's the thing though, he is better 'on paper'. Ne needs to prove it at training and on the pitch and I'm sure he'll do that quickly.

We have few new players and starting all of them from the start will be risky enough so I have no issue in one or 2 waiting their chances from the bench. We need a good start but its a two edged sword, starting with a completely different starting lineup from last year could cause problems too.
I can understand the worry about too many changes. But Darmian should be an upgrade on Valencia. You cannot worry about starting with players who are better because they are new to the club. I would rather start with Darmian and let Valencia challenge him with performances in training and the like. Let us see how it will pan out.

El-Manos

Also Darmian isn't here to play second fiddle to Valencia. Remember LVG said that every player he buys he expects to be better than what he already has at his disposal? That he wants to improve the squad with the players he brings in.

Cypriot

Also Darmian isn't here to play second fiddle to Valencia. Remember LVG said that every player he buys he expects to be better than what he already has at his disposal? That he wants to improve the squad with the players he brings in.
Also, he stated that his only guaranteed starter is Rooney, as he is his captain. Everyone else must battle for their position on the pitch. I don't see him telling Valencia/Darmian that they are 1st/2nd choice.

pjaya

Also, he stated that his only guaranteed starter is Rooney, as he is his captain. Everyone else must battle for their position on the pitch. I don't see him telling Valencia/Darmian that they are 1st/2nd choice.
Frankly this is one thing I don't really understand lvg, why Rooney is always a guaranteed starter? Even if he is off form and sluggish most of the time. While everyone have to battle for their position.