The Manager's Press Conference | 21 July 3:30am BST

Raw

Not expecting much news, maybe some idea of what positions he wants to strengthen? Not something I'd stay up for personally.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No idea why somebody would want to stay up just to listen to a press conference... Bit weird really. It's at 10:30 for me so that's fine.

Will probably just say if somebody is injured or not and maybe say that a few players will play the full hour instead of just 45 minutes (that's probably going to be the next game though).

Sid234

It's at 10.30 pm for me, wil probably watch it if i can find a decent river

YzWayne

Louis van Gaal confirms David De Gea & Antonio Valencia are still injured: "They've visited hospital today and they cannot play on Tuesday."

YzWayne

Van Gaal says #mufc can "learn from our errors & give a lot of compliments for the way we played," in reference to win over Club America.

ZDwyr

The De Gea injury is interesting. He doesn't look injured in photos of training, but I guess that doesn't give a full indication.

hbgreg

LvG was in a really bad mood lol, some things:

1) Darmian is a back up to Valencia? Nooo :(
2) Has had to adapt to the way United do things (and all the other clubs) rather than do what he thinks is right.
3) More open about transfers but likes to keep hinting that the media are idiots.
4) Loved the comment about Rooney falling down the stairs. Everyone seems to like Rooney as a captain.
5) He's looking forward to seeing if we can break down San Jose.

Dazzmondo

I'm not surprised by the Valencia comment. He actually did have a good season tbh, though he offered very little going forward. Strong, pacey and did pretty well defensively (stats back that up too). LVG was probably very impressed with his ability to change positions so successfully. I get the impression that no position is nailed on though. If Darmian outperforms Valencia he could very well become 1st choice.

Ramos deal could potentially be close. Really intrigued by this 'surprise striker'. I really have no idea who it could be. Surely he has been reported by some media outlet?

Dazzmondo

Sam Johnstone playing the full 90 mins. The same 1st and 2nd half line-ups apart from that. I think Lindegaard is injured.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm not surprised by the Valencia comment. He actually did have a good season tbh, though he offered very little going forward. Strong, pacey and did pretty well defensively (stats back that up too). LVG was probably very impressed with his ability to change positions so successfully. I get the impression that no position is nailed on though. If Darmian outperforms Valencia he could very well become 1st choice.

Ramos deal could potentially be close. Really intrigued by this 'surprise striker'. I really have no idea who it could be. Surely he has been reported by some media outlet?
Been thinking of the players we've been linked to least if at all; Suarez, Messi, Neymar, Ibrahimovic, Lacazette, Benzema, Aguero, Costa, Griezmann, Higuain and Icardi. All of them tier 4/5 strikers, are any of them at all feasible? Maybe one or two, I have no clue who it could be.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
If it's someone that hasn't been written about then I think it's more likely to be a relatively small name.

I wonder if this is the corporate side at work. LvG strings the media along, the club gets written about for weeks, etc.

NK86

If Darmian is a backup to Valencia for the RB spot, maybe it is time for LVG to get off his pills. That would be mad. Basically an Italian international RB will be a backup to a player who was so atrocious as a winger that he had to be converted to a FB.
Also, this goes against the big boast which LVG made last presser about no one having a guaranteed starting place.