The 'Manchester Is Blue' Thread

Fluctuation0161

And they wonder why they get called 'plastic'.

Even before the game City fans were grasping at straws, sharing a supposed picture of Old Trafford with empty seats at a semi final against Hull City.

Turns out that was because over 7500 of the Hull allocation went empty. :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
With City the real issue is that most people see their success for what it is - a lottery win. At least Chelsea were a champions league club with a track record of Cup success and the glamour of London behind them. City just reek of jammy inauthenticity, and people aren't buying it.

That said, a few more years like this and the fanbase will really start to grow. United and Liverpool made their name in the 50s and 60s, so City have a lot of catching up to do but there's no doubt the current success will have a major effect.
A major effect on what, or more importantly, to whom? The type of fan City attract these days is your bog standard glory hunter. The type who contribute very little to the club in terms of matchday revenue or merchandising. Their support of City will always be measured by success on the field, as will their loyalty. No connection with the club and it's history will be formed, no unbreakable bond created from years and years of highs and lows will materalise. They can have 'em.

TheTunnel68

And they wonder why they get called 'plastic'.

Even before the game City fans were grasping at straws, sharing a supposed picture of Old Trafford with empty seats at a semi final against Hull City.

Turns out that was because over 7500 of the Hull allocation went empty. :lol:
Plus the fact it came 3 days after 74000+ attended the Reading FA cup game, not forgetting iirc no discounted tickets either, they'll argue that seat counting is a 'rag' obsession, yet they can quote any United attendance that dropped below 60,000 in an instant :rolleyes:

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
A major effect on what, or more importantly, to whom? The type of fan City attract these days is your bog standard glory hunter. The type who contribute very little to the club in terms of matchday revenue or merchandising. Their support of City will always be measured by success on the field, as will their loyalty. No connection with the club and it's history will be formed, no unbreakable bond created from years and years of highs and lows will materalise. They can have 'em.
Indeed. They'll move on when the success does.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Unfortunately, yes. I already see kids at my school wearing City shirts. I've never seen anyone in Denmark wearing one until a few years ago.
Yeah, this is true. Remember back at school, we used have a lot of banter between the Arsenal, Chelsea, Pool fans. Never met or heard of a City fan. In fact, I didn't even know City existed till the 2002 commonwealth games. I grew up with Arsenal being the rival and Liverpool the enemy.

dove

It was a brilliant decision to expand the stadium... :lol:

DanClancy

I don't get the fascination with their empty seats, they are well supported given the size of the club and that their well out numbered in the Greater Manchester area.

I know several blues who used to follow them all over the country when they were in the 3rd tier but just can't afford to go every week.

TheTunnel68

I don't get the fascination with their empty seat s, they are well supported given the size of the club and that their well out numbered in the Greater Manchester area.

I know several blues who used to follow them all over the country when they were in the 3rd tier but just can't afford to go every week.
The thread title tells you all you need to know, having perpetuated the myth that "Manchester Is Blue" for decades, reality has bitten them on the arse and with their high profile, the rest of the country can now see what United fans have witnessed, since the end of WWII :lol:

Last edited:

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
The thread title tells you all you need to know, having perpetuated the myth that "Manchester Is Blue" for decades, reality has bitten them on the arse and with their high profile, the rest of the country can now see what United fans have witnessed, since the end of WW11 :lol:
World war 11? Jesus, did I sleep through 9 of them?

JohnnyKills

I don't get the fascination with their empty seats, they are well supported given the size of the club and that their well out numbered in the Greater Manchester area.

Yeah they've always had a good hardcore of support - they used to get 30,000 regularly in Div 2 (although, having been to Maine Road a few times in the mid-90s, I remember the booing was awful and the crowd was actually counter-productive at times).

The thing is that their regular match-going support hasn't actually increased that much, despite the money and success. People aren't buying into them at all, at least not in the UK.

One of their key problems is that the north-west football market is really competitive - Liverpool, Everton and United all have huge support and there aren't too many floating voters for City to convert. If they played in, say, the south-west or the far north-west of the country, where there are no big clubs, they could have gained real traction in terms of support.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
To paraphrase a tweet I saw last night (which I won't embed because I sort of know the guy and I doubt he'd want any extra bother from you lot ;)), we have about 35,000-40,000 season ticket regulars who turn up for every home game. The remaining 10,000 come and go as they please, which means that while we're at 98% of full capacity for league games, cup games that aren't against Barcelona/Real Madrid barely touch 50,000 (unless the club gives tickets away on the cheap like for the Burnley game). It's not really a problem if we carry on winning matches, at least in my view.

GeorgieBoy

To paraphrase a tweet I saw last night (which I won't embed because I sort of know the guy and I doubt he'd want any extra bother from you lot ;)), we have about 35,000-40,000 season ticket regulars who turn up for every home game. The remaining 10,000 come and go as they please, which means that while we're at 98% of full capacity for league games, cup games that aren't against Barcelona/Real Madrid barely touch 50,000 (unless the club gives tickets away on the cheap like for the Burnley game). It's not really a problem if we carry on winning matches, at least in my view.
I really don't believe that figure.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Stats never tell the whole story, it's clear as day the city ground is at 80-90% max every game from looking.
Well, I've been to every home game since 2003 bar a handful, and when I've not been able to go I've handed my seasoncard over to a friend, and it's been somewhere between 95-98% full at basically every home league game since then (it only really dropped significantly while Pearce was there). So I don't know what to tell you.

Jacko21

Your team is playing the greatest football you've ever seen, your club has changed beyond all recognition, you have one of the most progressive managers in the history of the game, you're challenging for an unprecedented quadruple and yet you still can't drag your sorry asses to the stadium for a semi-final.

Never let it be said that this town is blue. It bleeds red.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Well, I've been to every home game since 2003 bar a handful, and when I've not been able to go I've handed my seasoncard over to a friend, and it's been somewhere between 95-98% full at basically every home league game since then (it only really dropped significantly while Pearce was there). So I don't know what to tell you.
If it was between 95-98 there wouldn't be many empty seats but it has more empty seats than a serial killers funeral.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
If it was between 95-98 there wouldn't be many empty seats but it has more empty seats than a serial killers funeral.
We're at the point where you've just chosen to ignore attendance stats I provided you, so I don't think we're going to get anywhere. Have a nice afternoon, mate.

steeeb

It makes it funnier because for pretty much every game you hear countless radio stations giving away the tickets likewise they hand them out at local colleges, universities, supermarkets etc. Probably why the empty seats are throughout the stadium as I imagine many that got them for free didn't bother going.

AshRK

I hate these oil owners but at least they could have bought a club which had more passionate supporters orsome history aka Nottingham Forest.

It is funny but the truth is only reason sheikh even bought Manchester city is because of the success and global appeal of Manchester United . Maybe city fans can always be thankful to us.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
I hate these oil owners but at least they could have bought a club which had more passionate supporters orsome history aka Nottingham Forest.

It is funny but the truth is only reason sheikh even bought Manchester city is because of the success and global appeal of Manchester United . Maybe city fans can always be thankful to us.
Absolutely. That and the fact we weren't at Maine Road anymore. Although, if we have to be thankful to United for anything, being taken over by the Sheikh as a result of United's popularity and becoming one of the best teams in Europe with Pep Guardiola as our manager is a pretty easy thing to thank you for. :lol:

AshRK

Absolutely. That and the fact we weren't at Maine Road anymore. Although, if we have to be thankful to United for anything, being taken over by the Sheikh as a result of United's popularity and becoming one of the best teams in Europe with Pep Guardiola as our manager is a pretty easy thing to thank you for. :lol:
The club welcomes you:(

Fully Fledged

For the Manchester Derby the said that the traffic was bad so they didn't get to the match on time as an excuse for the empty seats. For the Stoke match they blamed only having 6 days notice of the change of date for having half the ground empty.

There is always an excuse for the empty seats at the Emptihad. What will it be next week the 216 bus been cancelled?

TinFoil

Yeah they've always had a good hardcore of support - they used to get 30,000 regularly in Div 2 (although, having been to Maine Road a few times in the mid-90s, I remember the booing was awful and the crowd was actually counter-productive at times).

The thing is that their regular match-going support hasn't actually increased that much, despite the money and success. People aren't buying into them at all, at least not in the UK.

One of their key problems is that the north-west football market is really competitive - Liverpool, Everton and United all have huge support and there aren't too many floating voters for City to convert. If they played in, say, the south-west or the far north-west of the country, where there are no big clubs, they could have gained real traction in terms of support.
Wasn't the original plan for them to buy Newcastle? I read once that Ashley thought it was a windup :lol:

Fluctuation0161

The thread title tells you all you need to know, having perpetuated the myth that "Manchester Is Blue" for decades, reality has bitten them on the arse and with their high profile, the rest of the country can now see what United fans have witnessed, since the end of WWII :lol:
Exactly this.

We have more fans outside of Manchester, across the UK and around the World. We also have more fans in Manchester too. Myth busted! :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You have to win something, substantial, for a sustained period of time, before such accolades can be handed out. City, for all their huff and puff this season, remain trophyless at present.

One good half-season does not make for the best team in Europe. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Exactly this.

We have more fans outside of Manchester, across the UK and around the World. We also have more fans in Manchester too. Myth busted! :lol:
Apart from Didsbury and obviously Stockport, United dwarf City in fan numbers by an extremely large margin. Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal share a larger fanbase than City right now. Spurs likely push them close as well.