The 'Manchester Is Blue' Thread

Roeindo

With their high profile signing and attractive football, they will soon be able to fill those empty seats. Surely they will attract new fanbase from all over the world.

While our United PR man will be busy explaining our past achievements, printing brochure of our new signing cause nobody have heard him before, feeding media with our imaginary transfer target and signing sponsor with noodles and other beverage products.

Blue doomer

Supports
Manchester City
Sorry but do the City fans choose fewer games then? Because you don't see stadiums half empty as often as Etihad. The other top clubs manage to fill their stadiums regularily.
But your being ridiculous saying half empty. Burnley on Saturday was sold out 54'000. Last night nearly 43'000. Maybe the club would go down the route of compulsory purchase of cup games like your club does. Then if you've payed your going to go. Not a fan of it myself and i thinks its a bit of a twats trick. But wouldn't suprise me if we followed suit soon.

Blue doomer

Supports
Manchester City
It was a brilliant decision to expand the stadium... :lol:
Believe it or not the North stand plans are moving fast for an extension. We have 6500 left on the waiting list.

Last edited by a moderator:

dove

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
Apart from Didsbury and obviously Stockport, United dwarf City in fan numbers by an extremely large margin. Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal share a larger fanbase than City right now. Spurs likely push them close as well.
Considering United's magnificent support, both in Greater Manchester and throughout the world, does it surprise you that Old Trafford had ten thousand empty seats for your own league cup semi-final just 12 months ago?

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
We could have sold 280 tickets last night and it would still have been 280 more than your Semi-final home leg.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Considering United's magnificent support, both in Greater Manchester and throughout the world, does it surprise you that Old Trafford had ten thousand empty seats for your own league cup semi-final just 12 months ago?
That we only managed to draw 65k doesn't surprise me in the slightest, It was only a minor cup game of little importance after all. The League Cup only really becomes relevant if you make the final, which we did. And won it too.

Anyway you need perpspective here. City managed to draw an attendance of 43k last night, United drew 65k in the equivilent game the season before. That's roughly a 30% increase on what City could muster. If United played their game at the Etihad with its 55k capacity, not only would we have maxed it out, we would have had 10k fans stuck outside because the stadium wasn't big enough for the entire Red Army to enter.

This alone puts a huge dent in the whole "City is blue" argument.

TheTunnel68

No surprise as this attendance was explained in posts #763 & #766

TheTunnel68

That we only managed to draw 65k doesn't surprise me in the slightest, It was only a minor cup game of little importance after all. The League Cup only really becomes relevant if you make the final, which we did. And won it too.

Anyway you need perpspective here.*City managed to draw an attendance of 43k last night, United drew 65k in the equivilent game the season before. That's roughly a 30% increase on what City could muster. If United played their game at the Etihad with its 55k capacity, not only would we have maxed it out, we would have had 10k fans stuck outside because the stadium wasn't big enough for the entire Red Army to enter.

This alone puts a huge dent in the whole "City is blue" argument.
*Which included 8000 Bristol City fans

Token Sheet

"No 6 bus to Old Trafford 6p, Admission to re
All clubs attendances are dif from what they officially declare.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp..../manchester-united-attendances-police-figures
Ah this old chestnut.

The police figures only count those going through turnstiles.

There are many other access areas into the ground ie the corporate/executive suites which they don't monitor.

To say there was between 3/5000 down on the games against Liverpool and Real Madrid is just basically wrong.

Oh did I mention the bloke in charge of policing Old Trafford at that time was a "massive" blue.....

Feedingseagulls

Mostly made up of the 7500 away fan allocated spaces that were not taken up, and could not be re-allocated to Utd fans.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
You have to win something, substantial, for a sustained period of time, before such accolades can be handed out. City, for all their huff and puff this season, remain trophyless at present.

One good half-season does not make for the best team in Europe. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
"One of the best teams in Europe", not the best.

M113FF

Supports
City
League Cup Home Attendances 17/18 for comparison:

Arsenal
Doncaster 44064
West Ham 44741

Tottenham
Barnsley 23826
West Ham 36168

City
Wolves 50755
Bristol 43426

Chelsea
Forest 40621
Everton 40665

TheTunnel68

Arsenal
Doncaster 44064
West Ham 44741

Tottenham
Barnsley 23826
West Ham 36168

City
Wolves 50755
Bristol 43426

Chelsea
Forest 40621
Everton 40665
Impressive comparisons but pretty pointless, this thread was created to dispel the 'Manchester Is Blue' myth (which without doubt, it has ) another flaw in your comparisons omits the price of a ticket, for example: City v Wolves tickets start at £9, Chelsea v Forest start at £25, all relevant.

Reactions: Sly

TheReligion

Abusive
With their high profile signing and attractive football, they will soon be able to fill those empty seats. Surely they will attract new fanbase from all over the world.

While our United PR man will be busy explaining our past achievements, printing brochure of our new signing cause nobody have heard him before, feeding media with our imaginary transfer target and signing sponsor with noodles and other beverage products.
Yeah cause a clubs history doesn't matter anymore? Bizarre comment.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City

Arsenal
Doncaster 44064
West Ham 44741

Tottenham
Barnsley 23826
West Ham 36168

City
Wolves 50755
Bristol 43426

Chelsea
Forest 40621
Everton 40665
Good post.

Blue doomer

Supports
Manchester City
Corporate and hospitality attendees are not included in those figures, just the clicks through the turnstiles.
Oh right. So when the police said 45'000 fans through the turnstiles, the other 30'000+ were in hospitality?

TheTunnel68

Oh right. So when the police said 45'000 fans through the turnstiles, the other 30'000+ were in hospitality?
To which game are you referring to ? as I keep repeating myself, this thread is about City's claim that Manchester is Blue, for United to claim a non existent 30,000 carries all sorts of implications, for a start the taxman would be on it like a bertie leaving the ground at 80 minutes (that's another thread though)

Blue doomer

Supports
Manchester City
To which game are you referring to ? as I keep repeating myself, this thread is about City's claim that Manchester is Blue, for United to claim a non existent 30,000 carries all sorts of implications, for a start the taxman would be on it like a bertie leaving the ground at 80 minutes (that's another thread though)
I think your misreading the post. This isn't a club declaring they have let's say 20'000 when in fact thev'e 50'000, something our old chairman Mr Swales use to do, now that does alert the taxman. I'm merely pointing out clubs go of tickets sold for the game. If folk don't turn up it will still count that they did on the official attendance.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
They have finished ahead of us for 5 years now.

Had a bet with a friend in 2013 after SAF retired that we would finish ahead of City at least once in the coming 10 years. It looked like easy money then but I'm having my doubts now.

MrPooni

They have finished ahead of us for 5 years now.

Had a bet with a friend in 2013 after SAF retired that we would finish ahead of City at least once in the coming 10 years. It looked like easy money then but I'm having my doubts now.
Get this man a tag. :smirk:

I actually had a running bet with a couple of scouse customers of mine that we'd finish above at the start of every season and it gave me a nice steady revenue for a good 5 years. Thankfully I moved away from the customer side of things during Fergies final season due to to health reasons (lol) robbing them of the opportunity of ever getting their money back.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Get this man a tag. :smirk:

I actually had a running bet with a couple of scouse customers of mine that we'd finish above at the start of every season and it gave me a nice steady revenue for a good 5 years. Thankfully I moved away from the customer side of things during Fergies final season due to to health reasons (lol) robbing them of the opportunity of ever getting their money back.
I'm done with betting after this one.

The mocking alone has made it not worth it.