The Manchester Title Race

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
If we beat them at Eastlands to seal the title, there could be a riot. At least they decided against awarding the trophy there.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
has anyone won more leagues than ryan giggs?
No.

Not in any of the major leagues, anyway. Thanks to this issue of the knowledge I can offer the following stats:

8 - Gary Neville [Man Utd], Alan Hansen, Phil Neal [Liverpool], Ally McCoist [Rangers],
9 - Richard Gough [Rangers], Victor Baia [Porto]
10 - Paul Scholes [Man Utd], Ian Ferguson [Rangers]
11 - Bobby Lennox [Celtic]
12 - Ryan Giggs [Man Utd], Francisco Gento [Real]
13 - Mihalis Zemlinskis, Olegs Blagonadezdins [Skonto (Latvia)]
16 - Roar Strand [Rosenborg (Norway)]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/may/24/theknowledge.sport

[edit-updated for accuracy]

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If we beat them at Eastlands to seal the title, there could be a riot. At least they decided against awarding the trophy there.
The trophy is always awarded at a home game where possible, it wasn't a decision that someone had to make.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
No.

Not in any of the major leagues, anyway. Thanks to this issue of the knowledge I can offer the following stats:

8 - Alan Hansen, Phil Neal [Liverpool], Ally McCoist [Rangers],
10 - Ian Ferguson [Rangers], Paul Scholes [Man Utd]
12 - Francisco Gento [Real], Ryan Giggs [Man Utd]
13 - Roar Strand [Rosenborg (Norway)], Mihalis Zemlinskis, Olegs Blagonadezdins [Skonto (Latvia)]

I thought Gary Neville had 8.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
No.

8 - Gary Neville [Man Utd], Alan Hansen, Phil Neal [Liverpool], Ally McCoist [Rangers],
10 - Paul Scholes [Man Utd], Ian Ferguson [Rangers]
12 - Ryan Giggs [Man Utd], Francisco Gento [Real]
13 - Roar Strand [Rosenborg (Norway)], Mihalis Zemlinskis, Olegs Blagonadezdins [Skonto (Latvia)]

Wow. Since that article was made, Roar Strand won three more league titles before retiring so he has 16 in total.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I think that the record has been set straight as far as Fergie's concerned.

"Well done, you won one game 6-1, but in the end we'll be the champions and nobody except you will remember that game"
I think the whole world will.
But only City fans will remember it with any significance.

The season where United were walloped 6-1 at home but still won the league.
We may have bottled the league but we still beat the 'rags' 6-1 at Old Toilet.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster

Not sure about this.. Haven't heard many mentioning Liverpool beating us 4-1 at Old Trafford lately..

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Not sure about this.. Haven't heard many mentioning Liverpool beating us 4-1 at Old Trafford lately..
Whenever that season comes up (a lot of times as it was the last time in 20 years Liverpool resembled a competent fooball club) it always comes down to 'bottling it during United being away for the CWC' and 'At least we pumped them 4-1 at Old Trafford'.

Maybe 'The World' was being a little broad. But there are lot of supporters of the big teams in the EPL who all reference that 6-1 in comparison to the current state of the title race. The City fans are the only ones that look on it with fondness. :lol:

Like a homunculus with a blue shirt on cradling a bit of teddy bear stuffing.

I still think it is much easier for players aspiring to and working for the club is going to yield far more results than great players bought in and overpaid.

My old man (who knows next to blot about football) said to me "why do these guys care after a loss? They go home to their pay-cheque. Why would you play for love and honor when there is something else obscuring that?.."

There is a huge mental gulf between the two teams. The honour of the club and the honour of Sir Alex Ferguson is worth far more than any billionaire can buy. While our squad is probably nor worth as much as City's* they are all playing for far more than that.

*Not neccesarily the base value of a player as far as overpaid is concerned. The fact that some of these would be good/big signings regardless of the inflation of the transfer fee.

ravelston

The '99-00 side lost 0-5 to Chelsea in October - but that was at the Bridge - and 0-3 at Newcastle in February. So does that mean that the secret of a record setting season is to lose by 5 in October and by 3 to Newcastle in February?

Gazza

The '99-00 side lost 0-5 to Chelsea in October - but that was at the Bridge - and 0-3 at Newcastle in February. So does that mean that the secret of a record setting season is to lose by 5 in October and by 3 to Newcastle in February?
Wasn't the Newcastle 0-5 in October 1996? Southampton beat us by 3 goals the next week (3-6).

Hal9000

I still think all the talk about it being practically over is nonsense, I think performances over the weekend shown they are potential banana skins. Everton are also hitting some great form as well and then we will be going City. That leaves Swansea and Sunderland, who have both taken points off big teams this season.

I can see us slipping up, especially if the team pressure themselves to much to get it wrapped up early.

I don't know, i still think,

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I really dislike this Champ20ns nonsense.

2 does not look like an I ... it never has looked like an I and it never will look like an I.

Everytime I see it, I want to pronounce it Champtwons.
It doesn't look like I, but It does like like t?

gbgary

please correct me if i'm wrong, and forgive if already posted, but i'm thinking our magic number is...

(combination of points won by us and/or points lost by massive) to clinch the prem title with six games to go.

99 red balloons

Surely it's better to lose 3 games 10-0 , than 4 games 1-0.

Point is, who cares about one result. The league is won and lost at places like Fulham, Swansea and Arsenal - where City have failed and we have succeeded. And at the end of the day, it got them 3 points. Same as a 1-0 would have. And how often has the Premier League been won on goal difference? Answer - never.

I just thought it was quite small time of City fans to get so carried away with ONE result in OCTOBER. Yeah, enjoy it. Of course. We would too.

But don't go acting like you've won it, and certainly don't take it as a mark of a good season. Fact is, with the money they've spent and lack of injuries they've had vs the injuries we've had the comparatively curtailed spending - they should have absolutely walked this league. And it should be a major embarrassment to them that they haven't. City also can't give it the bigun in October, only to hide behind "well, 2nd is a great season for little old City in May". Doesn't work like that.

And I'll tell you one thing - if we'd have won 6-1 at Chelsea or Arsenal in their pomp, but still lost the league to them - it would have been meaningless to us. As that day in October is increasingly looking likely to be to City.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Why do people keep saying that someone has decided the title won't be awarded at the council house?

The trophy is never handed over away from home unless it is won on the last day of the season. (like Wigan away in '08). If we won the title tomorrow (hypothetical, I know we can't) the trophy wouldn't be awarded there and then, or even at home to Villa on Sunday. It'd be awarded after the last home game of the season. (Swansea)

Just thought I'd clear that up. Move along.