Film The Marvels

Unam333

Just watched this. Enjoyable and good comedy moments.I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.

The end credits cut scene, is massive in its implications for the future of the marvel cinematic universe. Fans will be very happy.

Will add going in to watch this without having seen Secret Invasion, Ms Marvel and Wandavision might be confusing for some.
Thanks. Will see the movie tomorrow. Watched Secret Invasion, Ms Marvel and WandaVision so I'm quite up to date.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Thor 4 and that awful Dr Strange movie put me right off these films. Will watch when it appears on Disney+....well I might. I still haven't finished GOTG3 because I got bored half way through.

Judas

Open to offers
If I’ve barely watched anything Marvel apart from GOTG3 in the last few years, will this be any good? Totally got tired of it all but fancy a cinema trip.

Reiver

Saw it yesterday and fell asleep until 30 minutes from the end. I'm a fan of Marvel films but the best thing I saw was the mid credits scene.
I'm going to go again tomorrow and see if it's any good.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I for one am astounded that raising Avengers fecking Endgame to the level of the Schindler's List has resulted in such widespread moaning.

That said, I've heard this one is especially awful. Guess I'll have to wait to see if it exceeds Taika Waititi's level of shiteness.

R'hllor

Nope, most of the negative reviews will be from people who haven't seen it.
Well i checked some reviewers vods and yea it seems its a shit on stick all over the place movie, with acting of a wet cloth, only high high praise of all of them was for Iman

Wing Attack Plan R

I for one am astounded that raising Avengers fecking Endgame to the level of the Schindler's List has resulted in such widespread moaning.

That said, I've heard this one is especially awful. Guess I'll have to wait to see if it exceeds Taika Waititi's level of shiteness.
Brother — may I call you “brother”? He’s massively shite.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Thor 4 and that awful Dr Strange movie put me right off these films. Will watch when it appears on Disney+....well I might. I still haven't finished GOTG3 because I got bored half way through.
Endgame was peak and perfect ending of Avengers saga. I enjoyed Infinity war and Endgame but after that it all went straight to shit. And not even gradually. It is straight fall. Thor 4, Black Widdow and Dr. Strange were bloody awful, GOTG3 was just slightly above shit.
Tv shows are boring too and they reached max level of shitness with She Hulk. That was ultimate and complete unwatchable disaster. I had high hopes for Wanda vision because she is awesome character (and my personal favorite) but show was bore fest.
Only thing which is worth watching after Endgame is Loki. That is good show.

I have zero hopes for The Marvels. Cpt. Marvel is awfully written character. People use lazy argument that it is because fans hate Brie but it is untrue. It is because people don't want to watch a movie where main character is flawless and overpowered from start to finish and where plot is one straight line; she kicks ass. The End.

Oldyella

I don't think I've ever seen something so big like the MCU completely fall off a cliff this fast

The feck happened after the last Avengers the line up of movies has been dreadful.
After Endgame they needed to take the Avengers off the board and start building a new team. The fact we still have the Avengers but don't really know who's in them and they haven't turned up to multiple disasters since is just weird.

Maybe Feige just couldn't be arsed after aiming for end game for so long and MCU thought they could coast.

Big Andy

Bloke
I don't think I've ever seen something so big like the MCU completely fall off a cliff this fast

The feck happened after the last Avengers the line up of movies has been dreadful.
Its over saturation and the start of a new "saga" without really giving the last one time to breathe. They've seen the big money come in and they're going to milk it until it goes sour. I know they're all building up to this multiverse/Kang big battle with all the X-men, Avengers, Deadpool, etc but the story is spread too thin over all of the different tv shows and movies, it becomes a chore to keep up.

After the previous Avengers films finished, they should've had a bit of a break and then a movie whereby the new Avengers are pulled together. I know they're slowly replacing them with younger versions, She Hulk, Ironheart, Kate Bishop, New Captain America, etc, but these all needed to be introduced organically rather than shovelled down our throats in Disney+ shows.

My son is a huge marvel fan, and thus I've watched them all with him and hear about them constantly, but these new shows haven't hit home for me. Wandavision was ok as a standalone show, Falcon and the Winter Soldier was shite, Secret Wars I couldn't get into, Loki is decent enough though.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Saw this at the cinema, awful movie

(Editing my post to say I'm not a fan of sci-fi so maybe I'm being unfair and to take my 2 word review with a pinch of salt!)

Last edited:

Eplel

Not even going to bother pirating this.

Marvel needs to understand, nobody likes Carol Danvers. They've been pushing this shit character hard in the comics for 20 years now and nobody has cared. Doesn't even have a cult following (unlike Monica Rambeau, who is quite likeable and her rendition of Agents of HATE and Nextwave would make for a great protagonist)

Redstain

After further consideration it's even worse than I initially reviewed. What I don't understand is the shift in Marvel's directive, during the infancy of forming the avengers the individual films were good. The likes of Iron Man, Captain America, Dr Strange and Thor as origin stories were engaging and the way black widow / Hawkeye were implemented phased in well. It seems since the TV shows have been introduced they've gone downhill and now Disney are butchering what is a fantastic franchise. I've heard similar criticisms with fans of Star Wars. Seems they are more focused on milking the cow more than anything else.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
It can't be worse then the last Ant-Man film surely? That was really bad.
It's truly a fun and entertaining film, a lot better than ant man. A lot of the people who have shat on it literally haven't seen it or don't like MCU. There's another section of people who expect to see something on the level of endgame, which it never was going to be and wasn't marketed as such.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Endgame was peak and perfect ending of Avengers saga. I enjoyed Infinity war and Endgame but after that it all went straight to shit. And not even gradually. It is straight fall. Thor 4, Black Widow and Dr. Strange were bloody awful, GOTG3 was just slightly above shit.
Tv shows are boring too and they reached max level of shitness with She Hulk. That was ultimate and complete unwatchable disaster. I had high hopes for Wanda vision because she is awesome character (and my personal favorite) but show was bore fest.
Only thing which is worth watching after Endgame is Loki. That is good show.

I have zero hopes for The Marvels. Cpt. Marvel is awfully written character. People use lazy argument that it is because fans hate Brie but it is untrue. It is because people don't want to watch a movie where main character is flawless and overpowered from start to finish and where plot is one straight line; she kicks ass. The End.
See I watched Loki and although I wouldn't say it was bad, I just didn't find it that interesting. It had enough about it I got through to the end of season 1. The rest of the TV stuff I'm just not interested in investing the time into.

There's the weird Antman film in there too, which I enjoyed but just made absolutely no sense even in the context of using magic and the word "quantum" to explain anything you want. Spiderman 3/3 Spidermans which was fun enough. So a couple since Infinity War that I wouldn't completely bin off, but on the whole I agree. Marvel films I've never thought of as masterpieces, but they are generally cohesive story telling and fun. The more recent ones are akin to things like the Transformers films, or the fallout boy Simpsons episode where they don't finish filming and piece together a movie using random bits of footage.

Brie. I'm not sure of the backstory as to why it seems to touch nerves to criticise her, but I just thought she was dull in the first film. She made the character come across as a bit boring, stuck up and arrogant, and as a result not all that likeable, and that contributed the film being dull by extension (although the main reason was that it was just a bit of a dull film). She wasn't helped by the character being completely invulnerable. She might be better in this one. I mean if I don't watch it, it won't be because Brie Larson is in it. It'll be because the other Marvel Films before it removed my motivation to.

They've already managed to squeeze 4 films out of that silly character? :lol:
I was more annoyed they didn't use the whole multiverse angle to call it Thor Four: Four Thors.

Especially as the actual film was so silly this wouldn't have even low browed it at all.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Obviously with it being captain marvel it's gonna bomb in reviews mind, because women.
Marvel haven't made a good film in years so unlikely this will be any different. Three meh characters join forces to girl boss the galaxy. Reads like the same panderverse stuff as always. So even if it was good I would never know.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Its over saturation and the start of a new "saga" without really giving the last one time to breathe. They've seen the big money come in and they're going to milk it until it goes sour. I know they're all building up to this multiverse/Kang big battle with all the X-men, Avengers, Deadpool, etc but the story is spread too thin over all of the different tv shows and movies, it becomes a chore to keep up.

After the previous Avengers films finished, they should've had a bit of a break and then a movie whereby the new Avengers are pulled together. I know they're slowly replacing them with younger versions, She Hulk, Ironheart, Kate Bishop, New Captain America, etc, but these all needed to be introduced organically rather than shovelled down our throats in Disney+ shows.

My son is a huge marvel fan, and thus I've watched them all with him and hear about them constantly, but these new shows haven't hit home for me. Wandavision was ok as a standalone show, Falcon and the Winter Soldier was shite, Secret Wars I couldn't get into, Loki is decent enough though.
I watched them as I was into comics growing up but stopped with that once I hit my teens, and agree with the above.

Endgame should have been a pause in the whole scheme of things. Give it 4-5 years and then start again with this phase. It's oversaturation and spread over too many different tv shows. It's a job in itself to keep up, and even then the payoff is only worth it if it's entertaining (which it isn't post Endgame imo).

They've tried to keep the momentum going, but it's become stale and just shite. Out of the Disney+ shows, Wandavision was the only one with something different to keep you engaged. Falcon, Loki and Hawkeye were all quite drab. I haven't watched anything else after that.

Nogbadthebad

Its a movie about superheroes.

I'm never sure what I'm missing when I read about these films.

I thought the marvels was like most of them, a fun way to waste a couple of hours, entertaining enough but its not going to change the world. I've thought that about all of them, just a bit of fun.

For this one though, I'll say that Iman Vellani is probably the best thing to happen to marvel since end game. For all her academy award winning rep, Brie Larson doesn't deliver anything close to the presence on the screen she does.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Its a movie about superheroes.

I'm never sure what I'm missing when I read about these films.

I thought the marvels was like most of them, a fun way to waste a couple of hours, entertaining enough but its not going to change the world. I've thought that about all of them, just a bit of fun.

For this one though, I'll say that Iman Vellani is probably the best thing to happen to marvel since end game. For all her academy award winning rep, Brie Larson doesn't deliver anything close to the presence on the screen she does.
Everybody has something. "To waste couple of hours and move on" can be used for football or music for example. You will go in debate is 433 better than 442 and someone will say; "Who cares? It is just football game."

And don't forget that those movies are made based on comics and comics are huge subculture.

Yes, i am a nerd:(.

Sylar

Shang Chi was a good phase 4 movie. It was similar in tone to the phase 1 type of intro movies.

The fallout of the eternals movie though annoys me more than it should. I mean a damn celestial grew out of earth/sea nd got stuck there. And its massive, and would have affects on earth. And its never even mentioned.
At least a throwaway line or background news breaking that its been destroyed or some shit. Something as big as that would cause issues to the world and its like it never happened. Unless they are just ignoring it and want us to forget :lol:

I liked Kamala in her series so will watch this eventually for her.
She and her family are great in this imo.

Amarsdd

The fallout of the eternals movie though annoys me more than it should. I mean a damn celestial grew out of earth/sea nd got stuck there. And its massive, and would have affects on earth. And its never even mentioned.
At least a throwaway line or background news breaking that its been destroyed or some shit. Something as big as that would cause issues to the world and its like it never happened. Unless they are just ignoring it and want us to forget :lol:
Yeah, its like the giant sword plunged into Azeroth (for the wow nerds), they don't know what to do with it yet so they'll just ignore it.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Shang Chi was a good phase 4 movie. It was similar in tone to the phase 1 type of intro movies.

She and her family are great in this imo.
I like to think, in a world where so much bat shit things happen, a big statue coming out for a little look but not seeming harming anyone is probably fairly easy to forget about in the grand scheme of things. It's weird they never go back to it, or the eternals though.

Whilst on the subject that's one movie I'll never understand. Amazing cinematography but no story or development. Seemingly a one and done never to be mentioned again. Would have made an excellent D+ series.

Sylar

I like to think, in a world where so much bat shit things happen, a big statue coming out for a little look but not seeming harming anyone is probably fairly easy to forget about in the grand scheme of things. It's weird they never go back to it, or the eternals though.

Whilst on the subject that's one movie I'll never understand. Amazing cinematography but no story or development. Seemingly a one and done never to be mentioned again. Would have made an excellent D+ series.
Thats the thing, it coming out of the ocean should have some affect, whether its waves or something similar. Its like it never happened, but I do agree the concept would have been much better for a d+ show especially the tone and number of characters within. Could have fleshed it out over 10 eps

Sylar

Yeah, its like the giant sword plunged into Azeroth (for the wow nerds), they don't know what to do with it yet so they'll just ignore it.
Would be strange if they bring it up randomly, unless they try and say the timeline was not what ya think and this happened after endgame but also after most of phase 4

wr8_utd

:'(
Can't comment about the movie but the MCU downfall seems terminal so far. This is the worst MCU opening weekend movie of all time and it's done even worse than The Incredible Hulk. Besides, they have only one movie next year with Deadpool. I think Disney might start taking some very carefully planned decisions with the MCU going forward.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Ant man is better but both are equally garbage. This is up there with Eternals for the worst Marvel movie.
Everyone has an opinion but this is a terrible shout. This is comfortably better than any ant-man film.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Marvel haven't made a good film in years so unlikely this will be any different. Three meh characters join forces to girl boss the galaxy. Reads like the same panderverse stuff as always. So even if it was good I would never know.
Fascinating.

Also Shang Chi, No way home, guardians 3 (the best of the three) and the marvels are all good films. I also personally liked BP2.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Not for me this is easily one of the worst Marvel films released especially in its current phase.
There's only 3 films in the current phase and one of them is guardians 3 which was excellent so...