Film The Marvels

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Didn't even think this would be worth a thread but just want he's and yeah, it's a lot better from marvel.

The shit one liners they're known for actually hit, there's chemistry between the marvels and it's much better than what they've produce recently.

Between this, guardians 3 and Loki season 2 they seemed to have got their shit back in order.

Big post credit scene too.

The story at the beginning is a little all over the place but it levels our and is pretty entertaining.

If you're into MCU but have been put off by their recent offerings, I'd recommend. Seems very much back to their basics.

Obviously with it being captain marvel it's gonna bomb in reviews mind, because women.

Sylar

Watching tomorrow and I enjoyed Ms marvel as a show.
But good to see regarding your review as we mostly like and dislike the same things regarding mcu / dceu

Big Andy

Bloke
I’ve struggled with the Disney+ shows tbh, some of them were really hard to get into and confusing, but I watch them with my eldest as he’s obsessive about Marvel, so I’ll be going to see this on Monday.

Oldyella

Didn't even think this would be worth a thread but just want he's and yeah, it's a lot better from marvel.

The shit one liners they're known for actually hit, there's chemistry between the marvels and it's much better than what they've produce recently.

Between this, guardians 3 and Loki season 2 they seemed to have got their shit back in order.

Big post credit scene too.

The story at the beginning is a little all over the place but it levels our and is pretty entertaining.

If you're into MCU but have been put off by their recent offerings, I'd recommend. Seems very much back to their basics.

Obviously with it being captain marvel it's gonna bomb in reviews mind, because women.
Glad you enjoyed it. Weird reviews. Most seem complementary of the cast but say its a mess. Will reserve judgement till I have seen for myself.

Hamnat

Will probably see it Monday or Tuesday. Actors strike ended a bit late to be able to use the cast at all to juice up promo and marketing for opening weekend. It will suffer at the B.O. for sure .

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Glad you enjoyed it. Weird reviews. Most seem complementary of the cast but say its a mess. Will reserve judgement till I have seen for myself.
The beginning is definitely messy. At one point I genuinely I wondered if I blacked out cus I couldn't make sense of things, but as I said it levels out and is enjoyable overall.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Watching tomorrow and I enjoyed Ms marvel as a show.
But good to see regarding your review as we mostly like and dislike the same things regarding mcu / dceu
Think you'll enjoy it, it's a fun film. Kamala and her family are charming as hell.
2 / 10 on IMDb..
Not surprised, can't imagine anything mainstream with brie larson will user review well at this point.

Woodzy

Enjoyed it, lots of good humour and Kamala was the stand out. The ending sequences were all rushed and flat though.

Drifter

American
This has to be one of the worst Marvel movies ever made. They have lost their way and are not sure how they are going to rescue it

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Enjoyed it, lots of good humour and Kamala was the stand out. The ending sequences were all rushed and flat though.
Felt that too, a bit rushed the end. Weird considering it's a relatively short film.

Swedish_Plumber

I hope they can introduce something that gets me back into the cinematic universe. Echo on Disney+ looks like it could be great, but it’s probably the R-rated stuff more than anything.

I’d love another Logan type film too. Give me dark and depressing for a bit.

dinostar77

I hope they can introduce something that gets me back into the cinematic universe. Echo on Disney+ looks like it could be great, but it’s probably the R-rated stuff more than anything.

I’d love another Logan type film too. Give me dark and depressing for a bit.
Its all abit messy at the moment. Are they going to stick with the Kang actor? Recast him? Or switch over to Dr Doom?

There was even crazy talk of bringing back the original avengers core cast. Or thanos. That door should remain firmly shut. Maybe bring forward the X-men into this cinematic universe?

Might go watch The Marvels tonight.

Amarsdd

What’s the story here?
If I'm not wrong, she hurt the feelings of incels during her interviews; not sure if that was during interviews for the first Captain Marvel movie or even before that.

Wing Attack Plan R

Think you'll enjoy it, it's a fun film. Kamala and her family are charming as hell.

Not surprised, can't imagine anything mainstream with brie larson will user review well at this point.
I think Brie is a very good actress and the big hammy shit required in a Marvel role is just not her forte. She’s great in actual films, she’s really funny and has a lot of depth and subtext when asked (cf. Unicorn Store, Room). I think the incels turned on her when she cut her hair and looked butch. She also mentioned something about not wanting the Cap Marvel costume to be made for the male gaze — real provocative stuff.

dinostar77

Just watched this. Enjoyable and good comedy moments.I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.

The end credits cut scene, is massive in its implications for the future of the marvel cinematic universe. Fans will be very happy.

Will add going in to watch this without having seen Secret Invasion, Ms Marvel and Wandavision might be confusing for some.

whitbyviking

More or less my thoughts. Cast is decent, especially the performance from Iman Vellani. The CGI was appalling and the writing diabolical, would be interesting to see how much they cut as I think there are big holes in it that suggest major surgery. The whole Dar-Benn, Kree angle was very badly done too, just baffling and all a bit pointless. weird that they have previously had Captain Marvel as basically invincible, and now she struggles to fix relatively minor problems.

Anyway, better than expected and the main problems were the same as all the other recent ones; poor production and writing, MCU fatigue. if I inflict another multiverse or end of the world doomsday MCU borefest on myself then I’ll be going out of the window with the TV. Something needs to change.

whitbyviking

The beginning is definitely messy. At one point I genuinely I wondered if I blacked out cus I couldn't make sense of things, but as I said it levels out and is enjoyable overall.
Felt that too, a bit rushed the end. Weird considering it's a relatively short film.
Opinion around the various reviewers is they were worried about backlash so have cut quite a lot from the overall filming, resulting in a weirdly shortened end product. Think they just wanted to get it over with after expecting the worst.

Whether you‘re an incel or not Brie Larson’s interviews are not exactly strong sales pitches for her movies. The song she did with Metric is good though :lol:

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
The end credits cut scene, is massive in its implications for the future of the marvel cinematic universe.
:lol: "Consume product. Get excited for next product."

I know its going to be Multiverse bullshit, so Ill guess and say its the introduction of the Xmen since the deadpool movie is coming relativly soon. Am I close?

Sylar

Enjoyed it and had a lot of fun. The cast were great and lot of good chemistry.
I get what you mean by the beginning but the first big fight where they start switching places was fun and kinda kicked off the movie properly.
Glad they didn't go the route of having captain Marvel saying she doesn't need help then getting their help In the end...

The ending ending felt like what's usually a mid or post credit scene. I liked the actual mid credit scene though and the next big introduction they will make

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
:lol: "Consume product. Get excited for next product."

I know its going to be Multiverse bullshit, so Ill guess and say its the introduction of the Xmen since the deadpool movie is coming relativly soon. Am I close?
Considering Kamala khan is a mutant in the MCU, we've had namor, we've verbally had the X-Men mentioned in she-hulk and we've literally seen professor x, would you not say they've already been introduced to an extent?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
More or less my thoughts. Cast is decent, especially the performance from Iman Vellani. The CGI was appalling and the writing diabolical, would be interesting to see how much they cut as I think there are big holes in it that suggest major surgery. The whole Dar-Benn, Kree angle was very badly done too, just baffling and all a bit pointless. weird that they have previously had Captain Marvel as basically invincible, and now she struggles to fix relatively minor problems.

Anyway, better than expected and the main problems were the same as all the other recent ones; poor production and writing, MCU fatigue. if I inflict another multiverse or end of the world doomsday MCU borefest on myself then I’ll be going out of the window with the TV. Something needs to change.
I think they lost the plot after end game with many writers popping out with their own product without a coherent grand continuity design.

Avengers was a carefully crafted 20+ coherent story line. The rest were a mismash of meeting deadlines

Wing Attack Plan R

Just watched this. Enjoyable and good comedy moments.I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.

The end credits cut scene, is massive in its implications for the future of the marvel cinematic universe. Fans will be very happy.

Will add going in to watch this without having seen Secret Invasion, Ms Marvel and Wandavision might be confusing for some.
A cross over with Star Wars / Toy Story / Transformers ?

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Considering Kamala khan is a mutant in the MCU, we've had namor, we've verbally had the X-Men mentioned in she-hulk and we've literally seen professor x, would you not say they've already been introduced to an extent?
Is she? I mean, in the MCU, is she? Isnt it just her magical bullshit bracelet? I know she in the comics, but her powers are different..ish. Was there something at the end of that show that hinted that she was a mutant? Anyway, I stand by my guess. Not as an introduction, but as a ramping up. MCU is losing viewers with many just not caring to keep up with everything. Its become like a full time job. Watch this, watch that, a lot of people cant be bothered. Couple that with the aimless phase 4/5 and they need a win big time. So why not ramp up the xmens introduction? The Kang this is fecked. Even Antman can beat him. Hardly a big menacing figure like Thanos. Thanos was built up and teased, they just throw Kang in and it was all very meh. And on top of that Jonathan Majors is looking down the barrel of jail time. Its not looking good. So again, the idea of pivot into the world of the xmen seems like a logical choice. Moving away from problamtic Majors, characters no one cares about and plot lines that people care even less about.

Xmen. Mark my words, its xmen. Ill bet you a million space bucks its an xmen cameo/tease for the future.

Oldyella

Is she? I mean, in the MCU, is she? Isnt it just her magical bullshit bracelet? I know she in the comics, but her powers are different..ish. Was there something at the end of that show that hinted that she was a mutant? Anyway, I stand by my guess. Not as an introduction, but as a ramping up. MCU is losing viewers with many just not caring to keep up with everything. Its become like a full time job. Watch this, watch that, a lot of people cant be bothered. Couple that with the aimless phase 4/5 and they need a win big time. So why not ramp up the xmens introduction? The Kang this is fecked. Even Antman can beat him. Hardly a big menacing figure like Thanos. Thanos was built up and teased, they just throw Kang in and it was all very meh. And on top of that Jonathan Majors is looking down the barrel of jail time. Its not looking good. So again, the idea of pivot into the world of the xmen seems like a logical choice. Moving away from problamtic Majors, characters no one cares about and plot lines that people care even less about.

Xmen. Mark my words, its xmen. Ill bet you a million space bucks its an xmen cameo/tease for the future.
Antman has been the big failure of this phase for me, just because of the expectations that were on it. Introduce their planned next multi movie villain and he loses a fist fight to Antman.

Hopefully the tease is for Fantastic Four. That's about all I'm keen to see at the moment.

Sylar

Is she? I mean, in the MCU, is she? Isnt it just her magical bullshit bracelet? I know she in the comics, but her powers are different..ish. Was there something at the end of that show that hinted that she was a mutant?
Yep, Bruno mentioned a mutation on her genes and they had a hint of the xmen music play when he said it to kamala.

Anyway the bet is a bit awkward since Salford has seen the movie and knows what the mid credit scene is (as well as it being out there on Google to read)...

dinostar77

The credits scene
are they saying that the x-men movies from the 1990s are now part of the marvel cinematic universe?

Surely they would need to recast Professor X and Wolverine as a minimum?

whitbyviking

well a certain X-Men character randomly appears at times in the movie so it is hiding in plain sight

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
I think Brie is a very good actress and the big hammy shit required in a Marvel role is just not her forte. She’s great in actual films, she’s really funny and has a lot of depth and subtext when asked (cf. Unicorn Store, Room). I think the incels turned on her when she cut her hair and looked butch. She also mentioned something about not wanting the Cap Marvel costume to be made for the male gaze — real provocative stuff.
What a monster!
This is disingenuous. The hate she gets is nothing to do with her costume, it started with a wrinkle in time where she she sai she doesn't care what a white male thinks of the film because it wasn't made for white males.

Don't know where this costume story has come from but that's not the reason incels hate her.

Redstain

Total garbage, the post credit scene was the best thing about the movie. This has to be one of the worst marvel films I have seen from recent memory. I've no idea who's writing the scripts, the actors are relatively decent but they are let down by the movie writers. Pacing for this is way off.

I can certainly see the type of audience that will take to the witty humour but it feels like that's all the recent movies attribute to. Disney have failed to produce movies outside this criteria of dry humour and frantic action, their ability to build characters is totally absent which is a disaster given they are branching out of the typical superheros and going into the more niche characters. It was like watching a TV series instead of a well constructed film.

3/10

Last edited:

Castia

I don't think I've ever seen something so big like the MCU completely fall off a cliff this fast

The feck happened after the last Avengers the line up of movies has been dreadful.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Total garbage, the post credit scene was the best thing about the movie. This has to be one of the worst marvel films I have seen from recent memory. I've no idea who's writing the scripts, the actors are relatively decent but they are let down by the movie writers. Pacing for this is way off.

I can certainly see the type of audience that will take to the witty humour but it feels like that's all the recent movies attribute to. Disney have failed to produce movies outside this criteria of dry humour and frantic action, their ability to build characters is totally absent which is a disaster given they are branching out of the typical superheros and going into the more niche characters. It was like watching a TV series instead of a well constructed film.

3/10
How do you fail something you don't attempt? Thats the type of movies they do?

They tend to build characters on their TV shows, if you wanted more back story on Monica for instance you'd watch wandavision but realistically it's not actually vital to watch this film, as her backstory is explained. Don't see anything wrong with that personally.