Film The Marvels

Wing Attack Plan R

Endgame was peak and perfect ending of Avengers saga. I enjoyed Infinity war and Endgame but after that it all went straight to shit. And not even gradually. It is straight fall. Thor 4, Black Widdow and Dr. Strange were bloody awful, GOTG3 was just slightly above shit.
Tv shows are boring too and they reached max level of shitness with She Hulk. That was ultimate and complete unwatchable disaster. I had high hopes for Wanda vision because she is awesome character (and my personal favorite) but show was bore fest.
Only thing which is worth watching after Endgame is Loki. That is good show.

I have zero hopes for The Marvels. Cpt. Marvel is awfully written character. People use lazy argument that it is because fans hate Brie but it is untrue. It is because people don't want to watch a movie where main character is flawless and overpowered from start to finish and where plot is one straight line; she kicks ass. The End.
I'd watch a version of this idea if it was Homelander instead of Captain Marvel, though.

Sylar

I cant say this is the worst of the MCU when black widow nonsense exists. That was a truly horrible movie and at least Yelena got to shine. But the movie should have happened in phase 2 or 3.

This was a fun movie however for me. Nothing ground breaking but simple plot but the chemistry between the marvels was the best bit for me, especially with Ms marvels involvement.

Also I guess your opinion might also be based on whether you like the musical segment that was involved.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Fascinating.

Also Shang Chi, No way home, guardians 3 (the best of the three) and the marvels are all good films. I also personally liked BP2.
Shang Chi was bad. No way home was Sony. Guardians 3 was average. BP2 I skipped. Ant Man 3 I got half way through and stopped. The only good TV show they've done lately is Loki.

Bottom line: Marvel has lost its mojo through formulaic repetition.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Shang Chi was bad. No way home was Sony. Guardians 3 was average. BP2 I skipped. Ant Man 3 I got half way through and stopped. The only good TV show they've done lately is Loki.

If you genuinely think Shang Chi is bad, the films arent for you as it's universally rated a good film. No way home is literally an MCU film made by marvel. That's a crazy way of trying to prove your point, it's disingenuous as feck. Sony own the rights, Marvel made the film and you know this.

Again if you genuinely find guardians 3 average the films simply aren't for you.

glazed

If you genuinely think Shang Chi is bad, the films arent for you as it's universally rated a good film. No way home is literally an MCU film made by marvel. That's a crazy way of trying to prove your point, it's disingenuous as feck. Sony own the rights, Marvel made the film and you know this.

Again if you genuinely find guardians 3 average the films simply aren't for you.
Shang Chi seemed to be a formulaic anime wannabe to me. No Way Home was a Columbia/Marvel co-production distributed by Sony so you're just plain wrong there (though it is also MCU).

I'm not sure what the difference between bad and 'not for you' is. 'Not for you' seems to be code for 'yes I know it's bad but I'm going to blame the audience instead.'

I'm someone who grew up reading Marvel comics and who used to take my kids to see these movies and spend eighty quid on Imax tickets - i.e the core audience of their success. If the films aren't for me then they're probably going to not make as much money as the ones that are. Seems Disney are finding that out the hard way with Marvels.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Shang Chi seemed to be a formulaic anime wannabe to me. No Way Home was a Columbia/Marvel co-production distributed by Sony so you're just plain wrong there (though it is also MCU).

I'm not sure what the difference between bad and 'not for you' is. 'Not for you' seems to be code for 'yes I know it's bad but I'm going to blame the audience instead.'

I'm someone who grew up reading Marvel comics and who used to take my kids to see these movies and spend eighty quid on Imax tickets - i.e the core audience of their success. If the films aren't for me then they're probably going to not make as much money as the ones that are. Seems Disney are finding that out the hard way with Marvels.
But Shang Chi wasn't that, was it?

So marvel made no way home? Is literally what you said and admitted. Explain exactly how I'm wrong in saying marvel made no way home....since they literally did....

Bad film is a bad film. It's universally known as a bad film. A film that's not for you is a film that many or most consider good, but you yourself don't believe to be.

For example, la la land is a critically acclaimed film by critics and fans alike. I don't particularly like it, it's not a film for me.

Was that so hard to grasp?

glazed

But Shang Chi wasn't that, was it?

So marvel made no way home? Is literally what you said and admitted. Explain exactly how I'm wrong in saying marvel made no way home....since they literally did....
No Way Home was a Columbia/Marvel co-production distributed by Sony, who own the character film rights. As opposed to all the other films you mentioned which were made by Marvel alone and distributed by Disney who own the characters film rights. Is that so hard to grasp? While it featured Doctor Strange with permission from Marvel, it mainly relied as a film on characters from previous Spiderman movies also made by Sony.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
No Way Home was a Columbia/Marvel co-production distributed by Sony, who own the character film rights. As opposed to all the other films you mentioned which were made by Marvel alone and distributed by Disney who own the characters film rights. Is that so hard to grasp? While it featured Doctor Strange with permission from Marvel, it mainly relied as a film on characters from previous Spiderman movies also made by Sony.
No Way Home is a Marvel film.

Just admit you were wrong.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
At this point you're either on a wum or being deliberately obtuse so I'm out.

Big Andy

Bloke
I watched it last night, it was a middle of the road superhero story, not epic on an endgame level, but also not shit either.

Some funny bits with the Flerkens, and otherwise just a bog standard 6/10 Marvel movie.

I'm convinced that some people only go to these films for the end credits scenes though (although that was obviously the biggest thing to happen in this movie)

glazed

No Way Home is a Marvel film.
Just admit you were wrong.
At this point you're either on a wum or being deliberately obtuse so I'm out.
It quite obviously isn't a pure Marvel movie. Marvel co-produced it. Disney/Marvel got 25% of the profit. In the context of the discussion about Marvel no longer making good films, this film was mainly conceived and financed by people who don't work for Marvel, with different corporate values.

If you mean was it set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe then yes that's obviously true. But that's not what we're talking about.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
It quite obviously isn't a pure Marvel movie. Marvel co-produced it. Disney/Marvel got 25% of the profit. In the context of the discussion about Marvel no longer making good films, this film was mainly conceived and financed by people who don't work for Marvel, with different corporate values.

If you mean was it set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe then yes that's obviously true. But that's not what we're talking about.
And sony got 5% of the profits under their original deal.

You're quite possibly one of the only person in the world that will actually try and argue no way home is a Sony film.

Morbias and venom are Sony films, under the Sony universe, made by Sony. No way home is quite clearly a marvel film, made by marvel, distributed by Sony under the terms of their deal. Spiderman is a Sony character who they've allowed marvel to make films for and put in their universe.

Columbia/sony have to be credited as producers as it's their character and they have the rights for him, the movie itself is made by marvel.

This is an odd hill to die on because you're objectively wrong.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

The films have definitely been for me and I gave up on GOTG3 half way through, so it cant have been that great, or at best is subjective.

Shang Chi was fine i thought. Probably the best of the newer batch. Genuinely forgot Black Panther 2 was a thing. That was ok (ish) but suffered from the recurring bad guy being pointless thing.

I think there's just too many of these films/TV series in too short a space of time. It doesn't really feel coherent or like the films work as solid stand alone movies anymore.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
The films have definitely been for me and I gave up on GOTG3 half way through, so it cant have been that great, or at best is subjective.

Shang Chi was fine i thought. Probably the best of the newer batch. Genuinely forgot Black Panther 2 was a thing. That was ok (ish) but suffered from the recurring bad guy being pointless thing.

I think there's just too many of these films/TV series in too short a space of time. It doesn't really feel coherent or like the films work as solid stand alone movies anymore.
Agree with this. They tried to do too much in a short space of time and the quality dropped. It was a time where less would have been more post-endgame, in hindsight.

Think theyve acknowledged this though and planning on slowing down

Bebe

No Way Home is more of a Marvel movie than it is anything else. Guardians of the Galaxy 3 is not very good, it just seems decent when put up against the rest of phase 4 (or whatever I'm supposed to call the post Endgame era).

Overall, the MCU has been shite since Endgame, bar the above-mentioned mostly Marvel film.

Back to the thread topic - this movie is shite like the rest of the MCU (bar No Way Home) has been since Endgame.

Ekeke

I thought the movie was okay. I quite liked Monica Rambeau but I thought Ms. Marvel was awful. Around 6.6/6.7/10 for me

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I thought the movie was okay. I quite liked Monica Rambeau but I thought Ms. Marvel was awful. Around 6.6/6.7/10 for me
Literally the first out of ALL the reviews I've read that hate on supposedly the best character (and family) in the movie.

Sylar

Literally the first out of ALL the reviews I've read that hate on supposedly the best character (and family) in the movie.
Yeah she's the best thing about the movie and obviously her series

arthurka

Took my girl to see this and it's an absolute shit show. What are these executives at Marvel and Disney doing? I thought the last Ant Man film took the cake or gave me an idea how being on an LSD trip was but this had all the colors but non of the LSD effects. 2/10 for stealing the plot to Space balls

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I don't think that the writing is better or worse than most of the Marvel movies that have come before this one, but the big difference was that by the time Endgame rocked up most people actually gave a shit about the characters. The hard reset that they started, tied in with a pile of TV shows just to fatten up the Disney Plus catalogue for subscribers, hasn't been able to achieve that same connection.

Last edited:

Nogbadthebad

I don't think that the writing is better or worse than most of the Marvel movies that have come before this one, but the big difference was that by the time Endgame rocked up most people actually gave a shit about the characters. The hard reset that they started, tied in with a pile of TV shows just to fatten up the Disney Plus catalogue for subscribers, hasn't been able to achieve that same connection.
Yup.

I'm not sure the movie really set up who Ms Marvel and Monica Rambo were for people who hadn't watched the series.

Also, when marvel started all this, they put globally known actors in most of the roles. Now, the only well known person in this movie is someone sho spent the last few years annoying half the potential audience for this. Whether you agree with her or not, it has an effect.

Spoony

The People's President
I watched this with m'lad. And yeah it's utter tripe. Also watching the likes of Captain America and co kicking arse is more adrenalin enducing than watching the current lot.

RedDevilRoshi

Nothing great which is nothing unsurprising though considering how crap the MCU has been for the last few years now since Endgame. There’s only been a very small handful of good movies since. The tv series have mostly been meh.

decorativeed

Just watching this now. I'm quite a forgiving type when it comes to superhero movies, but this is rock bottom of my list of MCU movies. It makes Iron Man 2 and Eternals look like cinematic masterpieces. It's more on a par with that Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern film. Absolute shite.

The writing, directing, production design and particularly the editing have done the lead actors a real disservice here. Having said that, the antagonists are terribly cast. They could at least have given the guy from Lovesick a few good lines.

I notice the writers and director have only worked on a handful of projects before this, and maybe slotting into the commercial machine that is Marvel was a step too far, too soon for them.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Just watching this now. I'm quite a forgiving type when it comes to superhero movies, but this is rock bottom of my list of MCU movies. It makes Iron Man 2 and Eternals look like cinematic masterpieces. It's more on a par with that Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern film. Absolute shite.

The writing, directing, production design and particularly the editing have done the lead actors a real disservice here. Having said that, the antagonists are terribly cast. They could at least have given the guy from Lovesick a few good lines.

I notice the writers and director have only worked on a handful of projects before this, and maybe slotting into the commercial machine that is Marvel was a step too far, too soon for them.
So you're saying its not even worth a watch for someone who thinks Brie Larson is pretty date worthy?

Gavinb33

I agree after End Game they should have had a long break of at least 2 years, but Disney needed to keep the Marvel train running due to the streaming platform

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Wow, this was some garbage. By far worst Marvel movie. What a shitshow this was. Awful, awful, awful....
People said it is bad but when you see it then you realise how bad it is.

Redstain

It makes Iron Man 2 and Eternals look like cinematic masterpieces. It's more on a par with that Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern film. Absolute shite.

Said exactly the same thing, they were let down by such poor scripting and screen direction. The inexperience of the director was very transparent.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Watched this on Disney plus a few nights back. Absolutely fecking shit.

Big Andy

Bloke
Each phase since Endgame has been total wank. They put all their eggs in the infinity saga and after that they’ve been riding the coat tails of that. Not one real blockbuster movie since, save for Spider-Man. The multiverse thing has fallen flat as they’ve waited too long to introduce X-Men into it, and I can only hope that Deadpool rectifies that.

Hamnat

I just watched it too the other day. It was bad but I thought Thor love and Thunder was worse. I could never watch that movie again.

MiceOnMeth

Wow, this was some garbage. By far worst Marvel movie. What a shitshow this was. Awful, awful, awful....
People said it is bad but when you see it then you realise how bad it is.
Disagree. Thought it was better than the latest thor and Ant-man. Kamala is far better than anything from those films

MiceOnMeth

Any chance Disney hit the panic buttons and offer RDJ and Chris Evans a mountain of cash each? I know they both got great send offs in end game but it really all just feels hollow without them. They were the heart of the avengers and they don't seem replaceable (maybe the X-Men and fantastic 4 can unearth some amazing leads but I'm doubtful)