The Mata Substitution

thejtrain

I know you're probably being tongue in cheek but he's too good for Everton.
That was not tongue-in-cheek - he was actually linked with them a lot this past month. I think he'll be ready to sign with them if Mou were to sell him.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Guess what was supposed to happen was taking off Zlatan to get him some applause but since Leicester started hoofing it and we've had those corners where Schmikes jr was joining Leicester players, he decided to let Zlatan stay due to his height and took the smallest one off.

Wasn't necessary, didn't like it but I can understand the 'logic' behind it.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Aye, cue Mata out rumors all week again. I guess now with the Pogba transfer seemingly near its end, the transfers out will be the next focus. So what better way for the media to start that Jose Mata part 2.

saivet

What am I supposed to be looking at?
Erm, Mata's reaction. As this is what the thread is about, no? We have body language experts in this forum, they may be able to have some insight.

AgentP

Because his replacement was going to help in that area?
It doesn't matter who comes on for him. The sub is to waste time. Mata is the shortest on the pitch. Might not be the best decision on a personal level but from a footballing point of view, it makes complete sense.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Fuss about nothing. Mata just wanted the see the set piece and at no point did either he or Mourinho have a go at the other. Just a tactical sub to close out the game.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Ah sorry, I forgot the rules on here. People who have an opinion get slaghtered. I dont like the guy, didnt want the guy. That's my opinion
There's no rules. And even if there are I sure as hell don't set them. I just thought what you said was ridiculously reactionary.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
The most important thing was game time, which Mata got. It was tactical and Mata should understand this.

Dinghy

If anyone should be pissed about this its Mkhi. Getting to play one minute when youre desperate for some gametime in your new team... Mourinho must have not been impressed so far.

evil_geko

He was substituted with half a minute to go ffs, people are mental!

Sad Chris

What's supposed to be humiliating about being subbed to waste time with the win in mind? Stop looking for problems where there aren't any and let the media and other clubs fans make up stories as much as they like. Ridiculous.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What's supposed to be humiliating about being subbed to waste time with the win in mind? Stop looking for problems where there aren't any and let the media and other clubs fans make up stories as much as they like. Ridiculous.
Footballers generally take being subbed off when they've been subbed on as a slight though. They always have. It's just one of those things.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
To me it looked like Mata was just looking back in order to see how Leicester's set piece turned out?
Picked up that he looked annoyed but didn't think it was Jose.
Agree with these two. Mata did look annoyed but I'm watching a different channel and they went through it (but I couldn't understand the lingo) and Mata wasn't looking in the direction of Mourinho, he was looking the opposite way.

Scholesy

Mourinho is an idiot. This is the type of thing that will turn players (Mata's friends) against him. When he humilated Eva Carneiro, he lost most of his players. This is not as bad but this is very bad decision by Mourinho. I do not mind if Mata leaves but this was an act of humilation

Flytan

This was a test from Mourinho to see how Mata would react. If Mata really is mad, it gives Mourinho a reason to sell him as he's not "willing to sacrifice oneself for the team"

RaptorSlo

I think Jose wanted to show Mhiki as well. But only option to sub were Zlatan and Fellaini from players that started. And they are the 2 highest players on field crucial to defend the box.

James_42

Ridiculous to see the media trying to create something out of nothing, they know Mata and Mourinho have history so are desperate to create some drama.

What a joke.

acnumber9

The practice of bringing on subs in added time to waste time is probably as old as the practice of subs. Why did he even bring him on in the first place? Just to humiliate him with 1 minute to go?
I know the intention but it's pointless. It gained no advantage whatsoever. The game played until nearly 95 minutes.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
complete shit stirring. Either he had a slight knock, or it was imply tactical time wasting. Mata got a proper run out and came off with seconds to go.

No story here.

klayton88

Mata had to be 'restrained'. 'Restrained'. Ok then. Jose would one bomb him.

Bamboozler

Tactical decision in the heat of battle, upon reflection I'm sure JoMo would've perhaps changed the call, but given the notion of having to defend long throw's, corners and balls in the box keeping the big men on the field was tactically the right decision.

acnumber9

It doesn't matter who comes on for him. The sub is to waste time. Mata is the shortest on the pitch. Might not be the best decision on a personal level but from a footballing point of view, it makes complete sense.
It didn't waste any time. It was added on. No advantage was gained at all.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It was an understandable sub, with Mata's height and I'd trust Mata's professionalism at this point. Don't think he'll be happy, that being said.

Could've been avoided if the sub wasn't made, but then again had Zlatan been subbed out and Leicester scored and went on to win by penalties, a bigger shit storm would've made.

The thing about the media is, they can twist events to fit their narratives. Imagine if Mata had gotten the treatment Mkhitaryan got today. On the bench for 92 minutes to only be brought on to play the final two. They'd have twisted that, saying something like Mourinho being disrespectful to Mata.