The McFred midfield duo

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It worked for counter attacking football with a deep defensive line - but with the change in style it's highlighting their weaknesses.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Karma for mocking Fellaini all those years, who'd look like Rijkaard compare to these two.

laughtersassassin

Other than The glazer debt and a few other things once if the worst things to happen to the club on the football pitch

Atleast a shit manager only gets a few months.

laughtersassassin

It worked for counter attacking football with a deep defensive line - but with the change in style it's highlighting their weaknesses.
It barley worked for that. Worked for one half a season then was shite and inconsistent after that

Lecland07

McTominay concerns me more than Fred.

The status of 'academy player' and his age of 25 will ensure that he stays around for a very long time, even though he is nowhere near good enough. Belongs at Watford, Burnley and the ilk.

I have a feeling he will turn into a Lingard; a player we just cannot get rid of. By that time, people will finally realise how poor he actually is.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It barley worked for that. Worked for one half a season then was shite and inconsistent after that
That's the point though really. The moment we started opening up a bit more and tried to out possess teams, the lack of defensive positioning showed up. We knew they struggled on the ball and that's only been compounded more.

When they could sit deep it as much easier to mop up defensively, and passing forwards into space is always easier.

croadyman

Has to be broken up this summer, we need to finally sign someone who can do the DM role on their own not two players.

James35

A nightmare is how I’d describe them. Hopefully neither start for us under the new manager otherwise we truly are fecked.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
My god those two as a pair are tragic. I’ve seen a cat thrown in a bath full of water have more composure. Neither are anywhere near the quality of a man United midfielder.

AndyMUFC

Honestly never wanna see it again this summer. They are both utter garbage together in midfield for a club of United's standard.

sillwuka

This will be the last season we see BOTH starting in a midfield pairing for the first team.

Happy with both being back ups - still playing regularly.

L1nk

The worst midfield duo ever conceived and the worst midfield duo to ever play for Manchester United. Yet time and time and time again we insist on starting with it. I'm really glad Pogba is back, because no matter his attitude, his application, the fact that he's likely off, whatever you want to hold against him, he is absolutely levels above both of them in every department. 2 CM's if not 3 needed in the summer if Pogba and Matic leave.

lex talionis

My god those two as a pair are tragic. I’ve seen a cat thrown in a bath full of water have more composure. Neither are anywhere near the quality of a man United midfielder.
:lol:

I love the caf!

On a serious note, these two clowns need to be moved on season after next at the latest. I can see them staying on as squad men under Ten Hag if he's brought in, but in the second phase of the rebuilding under ETH or whoever it may be, their continued presence at OT cannot be tolerated.

Kag

Shite, the pair of them. Some of you lot actually expected us to challenge with them.

The hilarious thing is that they’re probably the only midfielders guaranteed to be at the club come next season. A total mess.

Green_Red

Both of these players need to be sent packing this summer. They are the reason our defense is always under pressure and our forwards get no service. Worse than a Djemba Djemba Quintin Fortune midfield.

AndySmith1990

I don't care what anyone says, the pair of them are terrible. Although Fred has been getting criticised for a long time, so seems most have never rated him anyway. McTominay however, that lad has been a regular for ages and flies under the radar or gets a free pass.

FerociousCorgis

constantly we hear how the manager sees things in practice that we dont, and they know more than we do. Yet constantly we see us suck ass in midfield with these 2. Not sure how many more managers are going to have to get shit canned here to understand these two suck ass in midfield when all us ignorant peons can apparently see it the whole time.

croadyman

This will be the last season we see BOTH starting in a midfield pairing for the first team.

Happy with both being back ups - still playing regularly.
I want to believe that but with our board still not fully convinced it will happen

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
McTominay concerns me more than Fred.

The status of 'academy player' and his age of 25
will ensure that he stays around for a very long time, even though he is nowhere near good enough. Belongs at Watford, Burnley and the ilk.

I have a feeling he will turn into a Lingard; a player we just cannot get rid of. By that time, people will finally realise how poor he actually is.
He is 25!? Worth the way people here talk about him like there’s hope he’ll come good.. I thought he was about 22/23. Mind blown. (In my defense, I’ve been out the country 3 years and counting).

Honestly I’ve said it before in this thread but you have a mid table midfield pairing. Peak Fred is still only 7/10 and he was supposed to be your marquee signing.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

They are two lads i love having in the squad but hate seeing them start every game. Honwst pros who give their all but just aren't ever going to be top players

Bocca9978

Honestly never wanna see it again this summer. They are both utter garbage together in midfield for a club of United's standard.
And garbage on their own. Shouldn’t be near the team. Unfortunately, the case for too many.
Hoping better for better quality signings in the future.

Will Singh

Give me Herrera and Fellaini partnership any day of the week. Can’t believe we let Herrera go so easily and for that matter Fellaini too….!

432JuanMata

Kleberson and Djema-Djema level. Good when we are the underdog and we need to sit deep and break up play. But awful when we are the side who needs to breakdown teams hence why our record in the league at OT for over a year is poor

Litch

If I park the emotion and think it through logically, managers want to keep their jobs or at least leave on their terms? Ole had his dream job, the kind of opportunity that doesn’t come around twice so why would he play McFred if he thought he could lose it because of them? He has had other players like Donny, even Pogs when he was fit or could have played Matic for 60mins and made the change? If they are as bad as people make out, it wouldn’t take much to replace them or even loan a player in but neither of those things happened.

Now RR, most thought that’s the end of McFred, nope if both are fit generally they play. Donny loaned out and no stop gap signed in Jan. RR is in exactly the same situation as Ole, dream job etc yet plays them despite options or if they are that much of a liability, change of formation.

Most agree Midfield is where you win or lose games so why are the midfields that people say are better than them, below them? If Man City or Liverpool are the barometer, how many of our players get into either team?

Whether we like them or not, whether good enough or not, managers who jobs depend on it play them even with the option not to. No alternative, well either manager would have to if both were injured. This is pretty much factual and not my opinion. RR and Ole are poles apart in their football ideology and experience yet the same outcome when it comes to McFred.

I kind of get it cause the stats when they play, don’t we tend to win more than we lose? I wasn’t surprised when we beat Brighton cause they provide a platform that allows Bruno to have a greater influence.

Last edited:

Beans

Supports
Neutral
We need to get him a McPlane out of here. Scott can play backup but Fred is just too loose in his touch and passing. Horrible buy, even though I like him as a person.

kelvinwong2026

I don't think they are as bad as many people claimed. Certainly not good enough, and are our biggest weakness. But they are what we've got at the moment. If McTominay is playing for one of the lower clubs in the league, we might be shouting for our board to sign him.

Even with them in the starting lineup, considering the quality we have in some other areas of the pitch, and if a little bit tactical structure is being added, we definitely have a chance to finish in the fourth place this season. Need to be replaced/upgraded in the summer.

Natener

I don't think either are as bad as the criticism they keep getting. Regardless, they just aren't good enough for united's first 11. And to play both at the same time as a midfield pairing is just... awful.

Red Rash

I don't think either are as bad as the criticism they keep getting. Regardless, they just aren't good enough for united's first 11. And to play both at the same time as a midfield pairing is just... awful.
Yea I agree neither are terrible footballers but they are both average at the very best. If you are an average player you should be nowhere near first team regular for a club like Man Utd.

I have no issue with both being squad players and bringing them on when we need some energy in midfield (Fred) or help against a physical side (McTominay) but it's heartbreaking watching match after match of our midfield getting absolutely dominated when they play.

Whilst Pogba can be inconsistent and likely to leave at the end of the season, when he came on at Brighton the gulf in quality between him and Fred/McTominay is extraordinary.

I've been a big advocate of giving Van De Beek game time in midfield because even if he is not the answer, there is no way I can see him being worse than McFred.

If Pogba, Matic and Van De Beek leave in the summer, we need to buy at the very least two players who are a level above McTominay and Fred or our team is seriously in trouble

honirelandboy

They remind me of sitting on the toilet trying to shit out Gold, but all you get is a lump of a shit.

There not Man Utd Quality and never will be and don't deserve any more time at the club like a lot of the players there.

onemufc

They remind me of sitting on the toilet trying to shit out Gold, but all you get is a lump of a shit.

There not Man Utd Quality and never will be and don't deserve any more time at the club like a lot of the players there.
Why have you been eating gold???

LuckyScout78

McBellingham. I would go for that in the summer.

After following Bellingham closer. After United and Sir Alex tried so hard to convince him. I think i have found out the reason for it. A good reason. The boy oze a dominance presence. He has that ability to pass players from cm or others attacking area. Beside scoring goals. Good and precise with combination football and good and effience in the final third.

Fred is good to have for squad depth. And sitting on bench sometimes. I dont think hasn't Fred as much as others.
We demand a lot. But as a ballwinner, Fred is good at it.

Bellingham, McTom, Fred and a new best allround CM if Pobga leaving.

Matic out and leave the spot for a youngster that push the establish players like Garner and Hannibal.

lex talionis

Pogba is likely to leave. Matic will either retire or go on Mata status. McFred can’t be our starting midfield duo next season. Bring in one CDM for sure, possibly two, but I’d like to see us bring up Garner as well.