The MLS thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
DON'T waste your time queuing for voodoo donuts, they're not even the best donuts in Portland.

DO drink beer and visit one of the many strip joints.

The Johnson Ridge Observatory at Mt. Saint Helen's is closed until May.

brad-dyrak

Portland's a funny one. Great place to live, but it's tricky pointing to anything in particular worth visiting. If you're here for a united game, there are some good spots for catching the game.

If you've got your cleats, there are some good pick up games as well.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/04/timbers-come-true.html

TIMBERS SET TO MAKE ONE BOY’S WISH COME TRUE

When eight-year-old Atticus was given the chance to have any wish granted, all he wanted to do was have a chance to play soccer with his friends.

That wish will come true Wednesday thanks to Make-A-Wish Oregon and the Portland Timbers when Atticus and his team, the Green Machine, will take on the Timbers in a match at Jeld-Wen Field.

Atticus missed the end of his team’s season in the fall due to getting treatment for cancer. The cancer was first discovered after he experienced pain while playing for the team. And when given the opportunity, Atticus wanted to make sure his teammates got to enjoy his wish with him.

“The concept of a scrimmage came about through his love of soccer. When Make-A-Wish wish granters met with the family, they talked about a few options – going on a trip, getting a computer, or meeting a celebrity,” said Tracey Lam, who is the Communications Manager for Make-A-Wish Oregon. “But in the end, Atticus wanted a wish that would include his buddies from his soccer team, The Green Machine, because they were there for him throughout his cancer treatment. This scrimmage allows him to do just that – have his team be part of the wish.”

When the scrimmage does take place, it won’t take place at the Timbers suburban practice facility. Portland’s MLS club has opened the gates of Jeld-Wen Field for the 11:30 a.m. matchup.

The Green Machine will take on Timbers players and coaches in the match which is expected to be played in front of numerous members of the Timbers Army. Commemorative scarfs have been made for the match and will be handed out to the first 100 fans.

“We expect the atmosphere to be magical on Wednesday,” Lam said. “We are looking forward to having so many people be a part of a wish-come-true, and our grateful for the opportunity to share with the community the power of a wish.”

Timbers head coach Caleb Porter and assistant Sean McAuley will be the coaches for the special event.

“It is an honor to team up with Make-A-Wish and to be a part of this special wish for Atticus,” said Porter. “We are excited to see The Green Machine take the field at JELD-WEN Field and help create special memories for this young man.”

According to Lam, this will be the first time Make-A-Wish Oregon the organization has ever granted a wish that involved a game against a professional sports team. The wish also has the largest amount of community involvement and interest that the Oregon chapter has ever had.

Lam credits the Timbers with all their help in making Atticus’ wish come true.

“They’ve gone above and beyond and we are extremely grateful to the Portland Timbers for all they have done to make Atticus’ wish extra special,” Lam said.

In addition to the scrimmage, Atticus and his family will be on hand Thursday when the Timbers take on the New England Revolution at Jeld-Wen Field.

This is not the first time the Portland Timbers have worked with Make-A-Wish Oregon.

In 2011, the club gave 19-year-old Conall McLeod a two-day wish that included the chance to practice with the team, gave him a personalized locker in the locker room and took him on a VIP tour of Jeld-Wen Field. McLeod also received tickets to a match, where he led the Timbers Army in a chant from the capo stand and held up a log slice with Kenny Cooper during the postgame festivities.
This is fantastic from the Timbers. They've been doing well on the pitch too!

Alas, they lost to the Green Machine 10-9.

http://www.portlandtimbers.com/video/2013/05/01/highlights-green-machine-10-timbers-9

brad-dyrak

good turnout for the make a wish game today.

Did i see that Man City's owner is buying an MLS franchise in NY??

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
He's the top candidate at the moment. There are a number of people who oppose him though in NY on the basis of human rights abuses in Abu Dhabi. They are trying to push Bloomberg to prevent it from going forward.

At least now I'll have a team to hate.

brad-dyrak

Timbers in a frustrating 0-0 vs. New England. 28 shots and not one felt like scoring. I think the loss to the Green Machine broke their spirit.

brad-dyrak

Silvestre out for the season with a torn ACL. Given that pretty much all our central defenders are now cripples, Timbers rushed out to buy another Gambian by the name of Pa Madou Ka, so at least our tradition of signing players with cool names continues.

bigredmachine

Running smooth
horrible news regarding tweety. He's Norwegian! We honestly, have a hilarious defense..fun times ahead at SW Morrison.

brad-dyrak

horrible news regarding tweety. He's Norwegian! We honestly, have a hilarious defense..fun times ahead at SW Morrison.
Did you and/or 77 want to go to the game on Sunday? I've got tickets for the 2 seats next to me. I'll be down in Dallas for the game tomorrow, but will be back Sunday for Chivas.

bigredmachine

Running smooth
Thanks Brad , but as usual, I'm out of town this weekend again! :( I'm going to be down in the Bay with the wife.

I'm going to take you up on one of these offers over the summer!

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Did you and/or 77 want to go to the game on Sunday? I've got tickets for the 2 seats next to me. I'll be down in Dallas for the game tomorrow, but will be back Sunday for Chivas.
Cheers Brad but I has plans.

My brother's come over next month, I'm taking him to the Colorado game.

brad-dyrak

Thanks Brad , but as usual, I'm out of town this weekend again! :( I'm going to be down in the Bay with the wife.

I'm going to take you up on one of these offers over the summer!
Cheers Brad but I has plans.

My brother's come over next month, I'm taking him to the Colorado game.
Enjoy yourselves then. Think good thoughts tomorrow as I reckon Dallas may throw us a beating.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Confirmed that Man City owner is buying another franchise in NY. There's supposedly talk of Beckham buying a team in Miami??:houllier: America's wang cares not for soccer.

Check out the video of the Timbers vs. Green Machine - http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ames-portland-timbers-humanitarians-month-may

:lol:@ Johnson taunting the fans booing him after he scores. Also wearing an 8 year old's shirt :lol:
Miami doesn't care about sports, period. Unless they are the best. Examples: Heat without Big 3(previously Big 2), Dolphins post-Marino, Marlins forever.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
http://www.record.com.mx/article/mls-le-quitaria-chivas-usa-vergara

MLS may be buying Vergara's stake in the league and move Chivas elsewhere. I would be very happy if that happens. He's a douche and Chivas is a pointless club. The only reason they created it was to get Mexican support in SoCal for the league. They would have been interested in the Galaxy without pandering to them. Plus, it wasted a team slot that could easily have been sent somewhere else to build the league's reach. There's no team in the Southeast at all. And to think they're going to add another New York team, too...

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
We've had this conversation over 9000 times in this thread, but putting a team in Atlanta, NC, or maybe Nashville would fill a huge hole in the league. Putting teams in Florida would be somewhat pointless though, imo. The only sports team in Florida that gets good attendance and attention is the Heat.

Carlos Slim(second richest man in the world) is also rumored to be buying Chivas Guadalajara and USA. He may sell Chivas USA to MLS or another party though.

JB7

To think that existing clubs such as Orlando City, who already play in a huge stadium and have hosted Premier League teams - as well as winnings their league 2 or 3 years runnings - got knocked back in favour of that "entity". What a joke.

Neutral

BTV
Two of the most prestigious? TWO?

Oh and why didn't United get on this....we had a huge headstart, mind you, our owners don't own countries, so financial feasibility is an issue

AlwaysRedwood

http://www.record.com.mx/article/mls-le-quitaria-chivas-usa-vergara

MLS may be buying Vergara's stake in the league and move Chivas elsewhere. I would be very happy if that happens. He's a douche and Chivas is a pointless club. The only reason they created it was to get Mexican support in SoCal for the league. They would have been interested in the Galaxy without pandering to them. Plus, it wasted a team slot that could easily have been sent somewhere else to build the league's reach. There's no team in the Southeast at all. And to think they're going to add another New York team, too...
Vergara thought he'd be able to play the Chivas reserves in the states and easily win. Pure arrogance. He lost the stateside Chivas fans within two years by fielding a team of reserves from the Mexican league who couldn't compete with MLS players. And the rest of the Mexicans living in LA certainly weren't going to support Chivas USA because they follow their own clubs and probably don't like Chivas.

It was beautiful a combination of stupidity and arrogance.

The club is a wasteland at this point. LA doesn't care. No one goes to games. They desperately need to be moved.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
City will be #20.

If Miami gets a team before Orlando or any other place in the Southeast, I'm giving up on MLS. It would be another move for flash over substance. Miami's already failed as a MLS city once and fans never show up unless the team is #1. It's city full of transplants and frontrunners, not exactly a recipe for a fanbase.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Had free tix so just went to see Chivas/Seattle. Obafemi Martins scored one in the 1st half but got a straight red around the 70th min for stamping on a player on the ground.
Djimi traore played the full 90 for Seattle as their main central defender.
I had no idea those two were in that team.
Oh, and Chivas was awful in their 2-0 loss.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Looks like another world class* player may turn to the MLS.

[URL="http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1466072/keane-wants-dunne-make-mls-move?cc=5901"http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1466072keane-wants-dunne-make-mls-move?cc=5901]Keane wants Dunne to make MLS move[/URL]

*That's what the US sports media will say.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Goldilocks and Miami Vice

[URL="http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1466222/david-beckham-bringing-mls-miami-exciting-possibility?cc=5901"http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1466222/david-beckham-bringing-mls-miami-exciting-possibility?cc=5901]David Beckham tours facilities in Miami[/URL]

They won't support the club, David. And will you truly love Miami when the Heat are irrelevant again in a few years?

Neutral

BTV
Didn't feel like opening a thread - this will do.

Hope the Germans go easy on us...

USA: Howard; Evans, Gonzalez, Besler, Beasley; Jones, Bradley; Zusi, Dempsey ©, F. Johnson; Altidore #100years

Germany: ter Stegen; L Bender, Mertesacker, Howedes, Jansen; S. Bender, Reinartz; Schurrle, Draxler, Pdolski; Klose

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I went to my first NASL game tonight. The Carolina Railhawks vs the Tampa Bay Rowdies. The quality of soccer was not great, but the Railhawks came back in extra time scoring twice in 4 minutes after giving up a goal in the 87th minute.

The biggest issue I had was that there were roughly 900000000000 children there. They were running all over the place. I don't mind children, but most of them were just going nuts.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The Carolina Railhawks beat Chivas USA tonight in the US Open Cup after beating the LA Galaxy last week. NC should get Chivas' MLS spot for the win.

JB7

The Carolina Railhawks beat Chivas USA tonight in the US Open Cup after beating the LA Galaxy last week. NC should get Chivas' MLS spot for the win.
Orlando City have beaten Colorado Rapids and Sporting KC in their current cup run as well, as well as running away with the league again after just 13 games. They've got a decent amount of money and play at a 65,000+ seater stadium - I can't understand how they aren't classed as "ready" for the MLS yet and a newer franchise would be. It's outrageous really.

brad-dyrak

Orlando City have beaten Colorado Rapids and Sporting KC in their current cup run as well, as well as running away with the league again after just 13 games. They've got a decent amount of money and play at a 65,000+ seater stadium - I can't understand how they aren't classed as "ready" for the MLS yet and a newer franchise would be. It's outrageous really.

I didn't know that. What kind of crowds are they getting? I'm leery of MLS franchises in Florida after the abysmal turnouts from their previous 2 efforts. Tampa even had Valderrama, probably the highest profile player in MLS at the start.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
how difficult is it to get walk up tix for a Sounders or Timbers game? thinking of heading up that way in mid to late August and was idly wondering about the possibility of catching a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.