The MMA thread

Dan_F

The NSAC licensing hearing is live on fight pass. Bit of a strange thing. Dana even promoting it through twitter. Might as well use my fight pass account for something and hear Silva try and squirm his way out of it.

Nucks

RT History Department
Hendo seemed to do just fine... Maybe Chael shouldn't have been accepting fights if he was taking banned substances? But all the bullshit Chael came out with to the media after this failed test is perhaps the most annoying part, especially when lots of people just gobble it up.

The bit I've highlighted is also not true at all, where'd you get that from?

He was suspended because he didn't tell anyone he was on TRT, who even knows if he was at that point? His levels were 16:1, average males are 1:1. He never did explain why his levels were so high that time, and no, if you're on TRT your levels should not be that high. That is not the point of it.
Hendo fought Shogun post TRT ban ON TRT. He was given an extension. He was off TRT for the Cormier fight, not that would have made a real difference.

Nucks

RT History Department
Well, the CEO of the United States Anti-Doping Agency disagrees and saying they are performance enhancing.

Tygart told Yahoo Sports. "The reason (the two drugs in question are banned) why is because they can maximize the effects of testosterone use or other anabolic steroids use, as well as in and of themselves providing a performance-enhancing benefit."

Sonnen hoped to get away with using banned drugs to transition off the TRT by not mentioning it. He could have brought this all out into the open when the TRT ban was issued and gotten an official response. But he knew that response would be that he can't use those two drugs. That's why he didn't ask.

I also don't appreciate him trying to fool people into thinking they're allowed outside competition by the committee, as well as the other lies.
They are not PED's not by any definition. They do not improve your performance. They don't maximize the effects of T. One is designed to control estrogen the other is designed to try and shock your balls into producing natural T. They are used during a cycle for the following reasons.

1) On a cycle your balls stop producing test.
2) On a cycle your body produces more estrogen to compensate for the higher T levels.

Estrogen is not a PED hormone by any definition.

These are exactly the same reason why when ANY person walking the planet is on TRT and comes off their doctor prescribes them these two drugs. It is 100% normal post TRT therapy. They are designed to restart natural test, and control hormonal imbalances. Stop being a biased hater. Chael got busted for following the rules basically. He owned up to what he did and retired.

Lastly, anyone who thought Woodley had anything but a punchers chance doesn't know whats up.

Rory is one of the most durable and technical guys out there. He can also go 3 rounds hard the entire fight. Woodley is a sprinter and a wild brawler. He goes anaerobic walking to the cage.

Rory should have beaten Lawlor too, but he was too tentative in that fight. If there is a rematch, I'd expect Rory to pick him apart with more consistent pressure and not sit back so much and wait for Lawlor to go first.

If you rewatch Rory/Lawlor, Rory clearly took control of the fight in the second round. Enter the third round and Rory again is taking control but he isn't pressing the tempo which is what he does best. He let Lawlor hang around and Lawlor tagged him and put it to him taking the round and the fight!

Anything can happen with big punchers like Hendrix and Lawlor, but I think Rory outclasses both of them most of the time if he stays on point and keeps to his style.

The amount of MMA I watch now compared to 3 -4 years ago is shocking. It just feels so watered down. I used to watch every UFC event from first fight to last (also Strikeforce and WEC) now I'll just watch the main card most of the time. Looking at those two cards coming up I'm probably interested in the top 3 fights on the New Zealand card, and maybe 3 fights on the other one. I don't see how anyone has enough time to watch all the events in full anymore.

It also lacks the build up it used to, so much so that I can barely tell you where the next fight is going to be an who is on it. Whereas before I'd be anticipating a card weeks before. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter so much for me as I don't have to pay out for PPV's, but man, it must cost a lot to be a UFC fan in America.
I feel the same way. I started watching UFC in the 90's saw UFC 2 in like 1994 on VHS and then went and go UFC immediately after.

I transitioned to pride in the early 00's but the UFC has saturated the market IMO. It's great for their bottom line I'm sure, but the feeling that a fight card was a special event is definitely gone for me. Every weekend, versus a few times a year. Back then the anticipation was insane. You'd be counting the weeks down to the next big event.

Now, events creep up on me. I don't care about 80% of the fighters. I'm not invested in them. I wait until they've been around for awhile and cement themselves before I have any interest. I also have pretty much no interest in the tiny weight classes either. I appreciate what they do, but below 145 I just don't care.

Last edited:

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
The amount of MMA I watch now compared to 3 -4 years ago is shocking. It just feels so watered down. I used to watch every UFC event from first fight to last (also Strikeforce and WEC) now I'll just watch the main card most of the time. Looking at those two cards coming up I'm probably interested in the top 3 fights on the New Zealand card, and maybe 3 fights on the other one. I don't see how anyone has enough time to watch all the events in full anymore.

It also lacks the build up it used to, so much so that I can barely tell you where the next fight is going to be an who is on it. Whereas before I'd be anticipating a card weeks before. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter so much for me as I don't have to pay out for PPV's, but man, it must cost a lot to be a UFC fan in America.
I was being a bit unfair, Charles Olivera is a great fighter, Te Huna and Palelei are very entertaining as well, ditto Swanson.

I probably know a few of the other fighters and just don't remember their names. I've seen lots of good under card fights.

But even with all that taken into account those are weak cards and things indeed seem watered down these days.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
They are not PED's not by any definition. They do not improve your performance. They don't maximize the effects of T. One is designed to control estrogen the other is designed to try and shock your balls into producing natural T. They are used during a cycle for the following reasons.

1) On a cycle your balls stop producing test.
2) On a cycle your body produces more estrogen to compensate for the higher T levels.

Estrogen is not a PED hormone by any definition.

These are exactly the same reason why when ANY person walking the planet is on TRT and comes off their doctor prescribes them these two drugs. It is 100% normal post TRT therapy. They are designed to restart natural test, and control hormonal imbalances. Stop being a biased hater. Chael got busted for following the rules basically. He owned up to what he did and retired.

Lastly, anyone who thought Woodley had anything but a punchers chance doesn't know whats up.

Rory is one of the most durable and technical guys out there. He can also go 3 rounds hard the entire fight. Woodley is a sprinter and a wild brawler. He goes anaerobic walking to the cage.

Rory should have beaten Lawlor too, but he was too tentative in that fight. If there is a rematch, I'd expect Rory to pick him apart with more consistent pressure and not sit back so much and wait for Lawlor to go first.

If you rewatch Rory/Lawlor, Rory clearly took control of the fight in the second round. Enter the third round and Rory again is taking control but he isn't pressing the tempo which is what he does best. He let Lawlor hang around and Lawlor tagged him and put it to him taking the round and the fight!

Anything can happen with big punchers like Hendrix and Lawlor, but I think Rory outclasses both of them most of the time if he stays on point and keeps to his style.
That's no excuse for not informing the commission from the beginning. If he wanted to fight he should have waited, or found another honest method.

Again, add in all his other lies and it paints a bad picture. He decided to roll the dice and hope he didn't get tested because he was worried they might not give him an exception.

He should have been honest and brought the issue to the authorities to make a fair judgement. He didn't need the money he's a well paid commentator, and if the judgement did go against him he could just suck it up and be a man.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
UFC 175: Weidman vs. Machida is an upcoming mixed martial arts event to be held on July 5, 2014 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.[1]

Main Card

Middleweight Chris Weidman (c) [-190] vs. Lyoto Machida [a] [+174]
Women's Bantamweight Ronda Rousey (c) [-923] vs. Alexis Davis [+1150]
Heavyweight Stefan Struve [-175] vs. Matt Mitrione [+167]
Middleweight Uriah Hall [-400] vs. Thiago Santos [+323]
Bantamweight Marcus Brimage [-134] vs. Russell Doane [+106]

Preliminary card (Fox Sports 1)

Bantamweight Urijah Faber [-618] vs. Alex Caceres [+985]
Welterweight Kenny Robertson vs. Ildemar Alcantara
Middleweight Chris Camozzi vs. Bruno Santos
Bantamweight George Roop vs. Rob Font

Preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass)
Middleweight Luke Zachrich vs. Guilherme Vasconcelos
Middleweight Kevin Casey vs. Bubba Bush

Last edited:

JP77

Such an awesome card. Expect Rousey to run through Davis whatever way she wants and I stick by saying Machida will beat Weidman.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Since Jara's penalty i have been unable to watch more WC football... im so fecking depressed.

Good thing we had 2 events this weekend to keep my head out of football.

and i have 3 things to say:

1. the judges are gonna kill the sport. 2 or 3 bad calls... 2 clearly wrong. They need to do something about this scoring system.

2. a lot of guys doing their debut, and a lot of great talent. Jake Mathews (19yo) fought in the prelims in NZ... and WOW... he is so fecking strong. He dominated the fight in the way Cormier does it. Just overpowered the opposition. Mathews was only 3 days too late to become the youngest fighter to win a ufc fight (Still Vitor Belfort Record since 1997....) but he make one record: youngest UFC fighter to win via submission.

This guy is definitely one to keep an eye on...

3. great events overall... plenty of finishings.

looking forward for next week

Last edited:

phelans shorts

Can he go now to some other company like WWE? (like Suarez in the kosovan league.... :D)
Absolutely, he's shown interest in WWE before, that being said he would need to cut out the cocktail of stuff he's on to pass their wellness tests. Any ban he'd get would not be relevant as it's a performance art not an actual competition. Only issue on that front is Chael would want a sizeable pay packet, while WWE are currently trying to cut costs. He's a big name but he's certainly not a Ronda Rousey size star that I reckon they would pay the price for.

It'll be interesting to see what comes next for Chael, and even what finding like these mean with regards to a more stringent look into the competitors.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
"The incidence of hypogonadism in males with no history of previous steroid usage between the ages of 18 and 40, roughly the age range of MMA fighters, is less than one percent. But when a person takes anabolic steroids, the body surpresses natural production of testosterone.

It was thus almost malpractice to give TUEs to fighters for TRT, because even if it were true that these fighters were suffering from hypogonadism, the likely reason was because of prior steroid use."

http://www.mmaweekly.com/yahoo-spor...re-than-fight-career-over-positive-drug-tests

This suggests that fighters on TRT were either not really suffering from hypogonadism and looking to gain an advantage, or were suffering from hypogonadism because of past steroid abuse.

George Owen

while we wait for UFC 175, here the finishings of the last week events:

UFN 43: Te Huna vs. Marquardt

1. Hooker d. Entwistle round 1 min 3:34

2. Magny d. Goiana de Lima round 2 min 2:32

3. Vik Grujc d. Chris Indich round 1 min 4.56

4. Jake Matthews d. Dashon Johnson round 3 min 3:16

5. Charles Oliveira d. Hatsu Hioki round 2 min 4:32

6. Nate Marquardt d. James Te Huna round 1 min 4:34... flop of the night.

UFN 44: Swanson vs. Stephens

1 Oleksiy Oliynyk d Anthony Hamilton

2 Ray Borg d. Shane Howell

3. Cody Gibson d.. Johnny Bedford

4. Carlos Diego Ferreira d. Colton Smith

George Owen

missed the early prelims...

prelims next!

edit:

good start and good finish for the prelims... Faber is class. Hyperkinetic man.

main card here we go...

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm surprised Lyoto let Weidman take the first two rounds by allowing him the middle of the Octagon.