The MMA thread

Andersons Dietician

Did anyone else see the Felder tap? There is an angle and it might just be a movement but he looks like he taps on the hip of Olivera.
Ngannou is Just cooking scary. He even looked massive compared to Overeem. Overeem should jump ship to bellator for that heavyweight comp and become Ubeream again on those special supplements.
Leave his troubles with the Golden Snitch behind.

RedFish

Holloway is a joy to watch. Definitely in the top echelon of fighters. Looking at him I'd never think he could take a punch the way he does too.

Happy for Alvarez who fought smart and looked oowerful. Thought he was going to lose this one.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Think calling The Ngannou v Stipe fight a forgone conclusion is unwise

Ngannou has never seen a 3rd round and Stipe can fight very smart.

We have seen similar to Ngannou before getting found out, so do not be shocked if that happens again.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
People here are forgetting the power in Miocic's hands. It'll be a great match with two power hitters, but with Ngannou's current form, he might have a slight edge.
Overeem has alot of power too. Everyone in that division has the power to put everyone else to sleep with one hit. The thing with Ngannou is he's got the handspeed, reach and IQ that makes it far more likely he'll be the first to land a bomb

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Glad Holloway won, not sure it would have been good for the division to have Aldo as champ again.

Ngannou though. :eek:

Jagga7

Fking hell Ngannou with the ol dragon uppetcut. Why on earth was Overeem trying to trade with him!?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Super weak chin Vs strongest puncher... There was ever only going to be one outcome.

I wonder what chance Stipe will have...

Andersons Dietician

I saw the tap clearly during the fight. The 2 other person watching with me didn't though. Still, it was one of those nights for the refs... They are lucky they are not accountable for their feck ups.
Glad it wasn’t just me, surprised Olivera didn’t tell the ref that Felder was tapping during the darse but then maybe he too thought it was just movement. Certainly looks like Felder is tapping, its on the wrong side for the ref tho.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Few observations:

- Holloway earned my respect last night. He was always a bit under the radar for me during the Conor v Aldo period and I couldn't quite shake the suspicion that his first win over Aldo may have been a bad day at the office for Aldo. That has now been completely obliterated and Rogan was probably quite correct in asking whether Holloway may be the best pound for pound fighter in MMA at the moment (although that will obviously always be debatable with MightyMouse in the discussion). Aldo is now finished in that division. The explosive, leg kicking, flying knee Aldo we all knew and admired in years past is now a shell of his former self who seems to just do MMA fights to fund his expanding business interests outside of sport.

Unfortunately, going forward, Holloway's domination sort of takes the air out of the rest of the division being in any way interesting to fans as no one is even close to matching Holloway's talent at the moment. Edgar is in his mid 30s and may create an interesting matchup, but other than that the likes of Lamas, Swanson, Chan Sun Jung, Ortega, Rodriguez et al are just not on Holloway's level. Personally, I would like to see Max move up to LW, which could create some interesting matchups like a cardio freak fight with Tony Ferguson at some point.

- Cejudo looks like he's ready for another crack at MightyMouse, although the result will likely be the same as last time. That division, where the fighters are the size of jockeys, is more or less the same level of uninteresting as the FW is at the moment . one dominant champ with virtually no credible contenders to create any competition or fan interest.

- Alvarez did little to convince me that he is ready to move up and challenge the likes of Ferguson, Conor, or Khabib. Thought Gaethje was a bit disappointingly one dimensional by focusing too much on leg kicks and Alvarez didn't really do anything spectacular than throw fists which eventually won out. Was a good fight but nothing what I expected from both fighters.

- Ngannou is the best thing that has happened to the HW division in a long time. He is an old school throwback to the likes of Carwin and Lesnar with even more power. The Stipe match up is essential if the UFC want to reinvigorate some interest in the division. Overreem, quite predictably, is likely finished as a contender.

Fights that should happen:

- Miocic v Ngannou: This would be one of the best HW matchups and apparently Dana has already said it will happen next.

- Dillashaw v Dom Cruz: Logical after the Garbrandt TKO last month

- Colby Covington v Stephen Thompson: Would create competition for the number one contender position in WW

- Darren Till v Jorge Masvidal : Till is a hot fighter after beating Cowboy Cerrone and Masvidal has lost two on the trot. Would be a great match up t see if Till is the read deal or just mid table material.

And lastly:

- Ronda Rousey v Valentina Shevchenko : Would be an epic match up. A great fighter for Ronda to attempt a comeback (should she want one) as Valentina isn't likely to knock her out and would be a great fight for Shevchenko after getting a raw deal in the last Nunes fight.

justboy68

Ngannou :lol:

Just what a guy. Like a video game character. Remember seeing him by chance on the FP prelims in his debut and he already looked something special. It's been a treat following his rise. Think he's gonna flatten Stipe to be honest.

JP77

I've learnt to stop underestimating Stipe, done it a few times before. Can't wait to see that fight. All four of their last fights have ended in first round wins for them both. On paper this has explosive first round KO written all over it.

Gaethje still reminds me of a better version of Chris Leben. fecking brilliant to watch though.

Andersons Dietician

- Ronda Rousey v Valentina Shevchenko : Would be an epic match up. A great fighter for Ronda to attempt a comeback (should she want one) as Valentina isn't likely to knock her out and would be a great fight for Shevchenko after getting a raw deal in the last Nunes fight.
That is one of the worst fights possible for Ronda. Valentina would massacre her. Avoid any clinches and Just pick her off with counters coming in. Ronda can’t take a hit, she’s never been able to, just look at the way she reacts getting hit in some of her earlier fights.
If Ronda comes back I think she really needs to start at a mid level Cat Zingano, McMann, Vieria because Nunes,Holmes, Schevchenko will just pick her off. Really she probably shouldn’t come back. Go do her thing in the WWE, maybe get a Brock Lesnar like deal.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That is one of the worst fights possible for Ronda. Valentina would massacre her. Avoid any clinches and Just pick her off with counters coming in. Ronda can’t take a hit, she’s never been able to, just look at the way she reacts getting hit in some of her earlier fights.
If Ronda comes back I think she really needs to start at a mid level Cat Zingano, McMann, Vieria because Nunes,Holmes, Schevchenko will just pick her off. Really she probably shouldn’t come back. Go do her thing in the WWE, maybe get a Brock Lesnar like deal.
Do you watch much MMA ? Ronda would match up very well against Valentina and may even beat her, depending on which Ronda shows up. Valentina is a distance striker whose punches aren't nearly as strong as the like of Nunes or Holm. She gradually chips away at her opponents and uses counter striking to out point the opposition. That's a great match up for Ronda to return to the Octagon to as she could use her physicality and Judo to disrupt Shevchenko.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Absolutely insane knockout. The kind of punch that could end a career
A life? Yes, I agree.

It looks like the down and hard punch uppercut from Mortal Kombat :lol:

What Ngannou has is extreme athleticism. The speed and torque of that punch and the effortless way he threw it without having to load up, there's not another heavyweight active that can do that.

He took a hit to the back of the head when landing that punch and brushed it off like it didn't even happen. That's not an indicator of his chin or punch resistance, but it does make you wonder if he's just a freak specimen who has the whole set when it comes to physical prowess.

His stamina hasn't been tested yet, but to do that, someone's either got to be: faster than him, stronger, more elusive or able to put him on the backfoot with a barrage of attacks of their own without getting Hulk smashed themselves.

He doesn't look like a one-dimensional fighter or someone with an obvious weakness, so it's going to be interesting to see if anyone can give him a comeuppance that exposes something, or just plain beat him.

The guy is 262lbs of pure muscle, too, which is freakish in itself because usually past a certain size the HW's look out of shape and like they're going to gas. I don't get that vibe from Ngannou - really think he will go the rounds necessary when called for without much difficulty.

If Cain could ever get himself fit, it would have been a fascinating contest to see him vs this guy.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

Do you watch much MMA ? Ronda would match up very well against Valentina and may even beat her, depending on which Ronda shows up. Valentina is a distance striker whose punches aren't nearly as strong as the like of Nunes or Holm. She gradually chips away at her opponents and uses counter striking to out point the opposition. That's a great match up for Ronda to return to the Octagon to as she could use her physicality and Judo to disrupt Shevchenko.
Yeah I watch and participate in it. How is Ronda supposed to get her hands on her when Shevchenko’s footwork is so good probably the best in the division and popping shots off left right and centre. Ronda wouldn’t get near her to grab her and even then Schevchenko is great on the ground.

Her punching power will be doubled when Ronda comes rushing in and is getting clipped across the jaw and since her first ever fight in the ufc Ronda has shown she doesn’t like getting hit and as soon as she does she goes in to panic mode. Schevchenko is the best in the division also she absolutely lit up Nunes.

Also how do you feel about Holloway now? As not long ago I recall you saying you don’t think of him as some great fighter and next time he fought someone decent he’d get found out.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah I watch and participate in it. How is Ronda supposed to get her hands on her when Shevchenko’s footwork is so good probably the best in the division and popping shots off left right and centre. Ronda wouldn’t get near her to grab her and even then Schevchenko is great on the ground.

Her punching power will be doubled when Ronda comes rushing in and is getting clipped across the jaw and since her first ever fight in the ufc Ronda has shown she doesn’t like getting hit and as soon as she does she goes in to panic mode. Schevchenko is the best in the division also she absolutely lit up Nunes.

Also how do you feel about Holloway now? As not long ago I recall you saying you don’t think of him as some great fighter and next time he fought someone decent he’d get found out.
Valentina would have to deal with Ronda's clinch game since Ronda isn't likely going to want to box with her. That would be advantage Ronda. And despite her last two losses to Holm and Nunes, where she was comfortably outstruck from a distance, I feel this one would be fought up close and on the ground in a similar way as Rousey v Tate 2 was, where Ronda wound up winning by armbar.

Valentina is not a strong puncher, but she is well timed and accurate, which is more more managable for Ronda than someone like Nunes who throws endless haymakers. That makes for a great match up between the two.

Re Holloway: Read my post above

Andersons Dietician

Valentina would have to deal with Ronda's clinch game since Ronda isn't likely going to want to box with her. That would be advantage Ronda. And despite her last two losses to Holm and Nunes, where she was comfortably outstruck from a distance, I feel this one would be fought up close and on the ground in a similar way as Rousey v Tate 2 was, where Ronda wound up winning by armbar.

Valentina is not a strong puncher, but she is well timed and accurate, which is more more managable for Ronda than someone like Nunes who throws endless haymakers. That makes for a great match up between the two.

Re Holloway: Read my post above
Ronda wouldn’t have wanted to box with Nunes or Holmes either and that didn’t help her very much. Holmes isn’t a power puncher and she made a mockery out of Ronda with basic footwork. Sorry I just don’t agree that Valentina is a good fight for her.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ronda wouldn’t have wanted to box with Nunes or Holmes either and that didn’t help her very much. Holmes isn’t a power puncher and she made a mockery out of Ronda with basic footwork. Sorry I just don’t agree that Valentina is a good fight for her.
It would be a great matchup for Ronda to get back into the division. Shevchenko has nowhere to go right now since she just lost a 2nd fight to Nunes and the two fighters match up well. Valentina's fights almost always go the distance which is a good sign that a Ronda fight would be competitive, especially as it goes to the ground.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
A life? Yes, I agree.

It looks like the down and hard punch uppercut from Mortal Kombat :lol:

What Ngannou has is extreme athleticism. The speed and torque of that punch and the effortless way he threw it without having to load up, there's not another heavyweight active that can do that.

He took a hit to the back of the head when landing that punch and brushed it off like it didn't even happen. That's not an indicator of his chin or punch resistance, but it does make you wonder if he's just a freak specimen who has the whole set when it comes to physical prowess.

His stamina hasn't been tested yet, but to do that, someone's either got to be: faster than him, stronger, more elusive or able to put him on the backfoot with a barrage of attacks of their own without getting Hulk smashed themselves.

He doesn't look like a one-dimensional fighter or someone with an obvious weakness, so it's going to be interesting to see if anyone can give him a comeuppance that exposes something, or just plain beat him.

The guy is 262lbs of pure muscle, too, which is freakish in itself because usually past a certain size the HW's look out of shape and like they're going to gas. I don't get that vibe from Ngannou - really think he will go the rounds necessary when called for without much difficulty.

If Cain could ever get himself fit, it would have been a fascinating contest to see him vs this guy.
I don't think we are ever going to see the Cain of old, even if he does manage to get fit and fight again.

G-manc

Salford's own Pietro 'Pitbull' Menga has finally signed for the UFC in a multi-fight deal.

Keep an eye out for this kid - he can really fight.

Nucks

RT History Department
I still think prime Aldo aka 26-27 year old Aldo is the best the FW division has ever seen. His speed and power was just unreal. The Aldo that almost KO'd Edgar with leg kicks, starches Halloway and McGregor imo. The thing is with speed merchants, age catches up with them quickly. He's not as quick as he was, he doesn't kick as much as he used to. Aldo 5 years ago, was just ungodly good.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
It would be a great matchup for Ronda to get back into the division. Shevchenko has nowhere to go right now since she just lost a 2nd fight to Nunes and the two fighters match up well. Valentina's fights almost always go the distance which is a good sign that a Ronda fight would be competitive, especially as it goes to the ground.
She was talking about going down to 125lbs.

She could be champion there in no time. Her opponents would be the likes of Bec Rawlings, Paige VanZant, Jessica Eye, etc, plus the girls from the last TUF.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
She was talking about going down to 125lbs.

She could be champion there in no time. Her opponents would be the likes of Bec Rawlings, Paige VanZant, Jessica Eye, etc, plus the girls from the last TUF.
There is no tangible 125 right now. I know there are plans to get it going but in fairness Shevchenko would dominate there since she'd be a big fish in a little pond. She would be better off sticking to 135 where she is already among the best imo.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Super weak chin Vs strongest puncher... There was ever only going to be one outcome.

I wonder what chance Stipe will have...
It's interesting that people talk about Miocic's power, but not his chin. The guy gets hit, and rocked, a lot - Overeem dropped him and even Stephan Struve rocked him all over the place:

and they're baby pats compared to Ngannou. When it comes to punch absorption and resistance, Roy Nelson or Mark Hunt, Stipe is not.

I will be amazed if Stipe comes out of that Ngannou fight with anything other than discombobulation off the back of concussion, as stylistically, it's a terrible matchup for him.

Oggmonster

It's interesting that people talk about Miocic's power, but not his chin. The guy gets hit, and rocked, a lot - Overeem dropped him and even Stephan Struve rocked him all over the place:

and they're baby pats compared to Ngannou. When it comes to punch absorption and resistance, Roy Nelson or Mark Hunt, Stipe is not.

I will be amazed if Stipe comes out of that Ngannou fight with anything other than discombobulation off the back of concussion, as stylistically, it's a terrible matchup for him.

In fairness he did slip on the advertisements on the Octagon and wasn't he also poked in the eye in this fight? I'm not saying Ngannou won't do damage, I imagine he will, but it's pretty unlucky series of invents the Struve fight.

I think people are doing Miocic a bit of a disservice, I like Ngannou and it was a brutal KO but Stipe is a smart fighter and I'd fancy him to do better than Overeem.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
In fairness he did slip on the advertisements on the Octagon and wasn't he also poked in the eye in this fight? I'm not saying Ngannou won't do damage, I imagine he will, but it's pretty unlucky series of invents the Struve fight.

I think people are doing Miocic a bit of a disservice, I like Ngannou and it was a brutal KO but Stipe is a smart fighter and I'd fancy him to do better than Overeem.
Even before the slip, he was wobbly and getting tagged, a lot. Miocic is a bomber, which is how his fights end, usually with his bombs being too much for the other guy. He gets himself into tangles and wars that way, which really isn't what you want to do with someone 20lbs heavier than yourself who hits harder, is faster, stronger more explosive and has a longer reach.

Can't speak for Ngannou's punch resistance as we don't really know much about that yet, but we do know Stipe's.

For myself, I think it's a dead cert that Mgannou takes the belt, not in disservice to Stipe, but rather in acknowledgement that once in a while a proper champion-level fighter comes along in a division and wrecks shop. Cain was that man, and at full fitness, probably would still be, but in his absence, Ngannou looks like the next guy of that pedigree who is going to be the one to beat. Stipe doesn't have the attributes I personally would associate with a long-standing champ of a division. I think he's far to wreckless and reliant on a
too few things for that.

It makes him exciting to watch, but not someone who can keep the belt for long once the true specimens emerge.

He could go out there and make this post look silly when they fight, but I would genuinely be amazed and ready to eat humble pie if he did that.

Rick88

Overeem has alot of power too. Everyone in that division has the power to put everyone else to sleep with one hit. The thing with Ngannou is he's got the handspeed, reach and IQ that makes it far more likely he'll be the first to land a bomb
Would have a differing opinion on that. His last few knockout wins have come against Arlovski, Dos Santos and Hunt. I'd only put Hunt there who I feel has a decently strong chin (although I think Hunt got Ko'd by a knee).

Pre USADA, Overeem had deadly power. Post USADA and age has greatly diminished that. But then, hey that's my opinion and could be completely wrong. I wouldn't want to get punched by him in the face. I'll probably die.

poleglass red

so just got back from Detroit last night. Best UFC bill I've been to. Everything about it was excellent, the venue was top class, the fights possibly bar 2 of them were all top notch. The one thing I noticed was how many people were in for the prelim fights. My whole section was filled from the 1st prelim fight. Never seen that before, it's usually empty. Tried to attach a photo, how do I do that on here

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
so just got back from Detroit last night. Best UFC bill I've been to. Everything about it was excellent, the venue was top class, the fights possibly bar 2 of them were all top notch. The one thing I noticed was how many people were in for the prelim fights. My whole section was filled from the 1st prelim fight. Never seen that before, it's usually empty. Tried to attach a photo, how do I do that on here
Upload onto a site like imgur (www.imgur.com) and put the image link between [.img][./img] without the dots