The MMA thread

Andersons Dietician

Paige is a god damn warrior. Was a bit of a weird fight because Clarke did very little when on top. She kept looking for that head and arm triangle but last fight I saw her in she looked good on her feet and had little glimpses of it but that 3rd round was pretty much all Paige with 1 arm. Maybe she thought she’d done enough but she was getting tagged.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
What a cnutish post match interview by Usman.
sure you won, you want a tough opponent or title fight, but respect your opponent.
I officially hate Usman as a fighter and person, and hope Wodley smashes his face if they ever meet.
He's always been a cnut. Can't stand him.

TheReligion

Abusive
Paige is a god damn warrior. Was a bit of a weird fight because Clarke did very little when on top. She kept looking for that head and arm triangle but last fight I saw her in she looked good on her feet and had little glimpses of it but that 3rd round was pretty much all Paige with 1 arm. Maybe she thought she’d done enough but she was getting tagged.
Fair play but don't really rate her.

She only generates that much attention as she's attractive and you wouldn't have her as a fighter.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
According to some in Twitter, the UFC gonna strip Conor of his belt (finally), and they are working on Tony Ferguson vs Khabib for the undisputed lightweight belt at UFC 223 in Brooklyn.

sounds good to me.

ps. Obviously the UFC wants Khabib to win so he can fight Conor in Russia...

Andersons Dietician

Fair play but don't really rate her.

She only generates that much attention as she's attractive and you wouldn't have her as a fighter.
Half agree, she clearly gets given things above her station but she’s been in some pretty good fights. Yeah she on occasion has shown her lack of experience but she’s an exciting fighter even beyond the looks.

On the Gabi Garcia thing probably but I’d be scared the whole way through it, imagine she’d throw a dude about pretty easily.

TheReligion

Abusive
According to some in Twitter, the UFC gonna strip Conor of his belt (finally), and they are working on Tony Ferguson vs Khabib for the undisputed lightweight belt at UFC 223 in Brooklyn.

sounds good to me.

About time. I like McG but you either fight or move on. Simple as that.

Half agree, she clearly gets given things above her station but she’s been in some pretty good fights. Yeah she on occasion has shown her lack of experience but she’s an exciting fighter even beyond the looks.
She looks quite limited to me. The girl who dominated her on the ground, Clarke, was only a blue belt. Really shoddy from a professional.

Andersons Dietician

About time. I like McG but you either fight or move on. Simple as that.

She looks quite limited to me. The girl who dominated her on the ground, Clarke, was only a blue belt. Really shoddy from a professional.
Broken arm dude... broken arm trying to wrestle and use some Jits. She has dominated people on the ground in previous fights. Gave Felice a beatdown, and then that switch kick. She isn’t amazing but she is pretty decent.

Oggmonster

sounds good to me.

Yeah maybe I'm cynical but they will want Khabib to win. I doubt they've done this without Conor agreeing either, I reckon he#s agreed to that fight and this creates some kind of narrative for them to play up. NEver lost the belt etc. Is the right decision though was getting boring really.

JP77

MAIN CARD
UNDERCARD
So who we all got for the two title fights now it's just days away?

I still think Cormier is on a different level and wins but I'd be lying if there's wasn't a very small part of me that is worried we're going to see a huge shock. You'd have to imagine if Cormier lost this fight he'd retire. 9 times out of 10 I think Cormier dominates and wins this fight.

No idea what to say on the main event. One day I feel Stipe will cause yet another upset but the next day I feel Ngannou via brutal murder :lol: I'm going with Stipe to shock the world but am likely going to be wrong in the most devastating fashion possible.

Oggmonster

MAIN CARD
UNDERCARD
So who we all got for the two title fights now it's just days away?

I still think Cormier is on a different level and wins but I'd be lying if there's wasn't a very small part of me that is worried we're going to see a huge shock. You'd have to imagine if Cormier lost this fight he'd retire. 9 times out of 10 I think Cormier dominates and wins this fight.

No idea what to say on the main event. One day I feel Stipe will cause yet another upset but the next day I feel Ngannou via brutal murder :lol: I'm going with Stipe to shock the world but am likely going to be wrong in the most devastating fashion possible.
I reckon Miocic will beat him, reckon he will tire him out by end of round 3 and end it in the 4th. Think he's being hugely overlooked cos of the hype that Ngannou is rightfully getting but he has been a solid champion and looks better every fight.

DC will beat Volkan easy I reckon. I think DC has been on a downward spiral for a while, he got an easy fight vs. an unmotivated Rumble but before that didn't look great vs. Anderson Silva and the Gus fight took a lot out of him I reckon, Volkan isn't great though and struggled to a win vs. OSP, I reckon DC does it easily.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
DC will beat Volkan unless Volkan has some amazing ground game that we're unaware of...

I think Miocic will lose. It will be hard to avoid that power punch for 25 minutes plus Stipe does get tagged a fair bit.

Oggmonster

Sounds like party boy Conor may be getting stripped.
I don’t think they’ll be to fussed st UFC, I reckon it’s all agreed with him.

They get Khabib vs Ferguson which does good numbers cos winner fights Conor

Then the winner does fight Conor which does huge numbers.

If Ferguson fought Conor and then Khabib for example I dot think it does as good numbers. No logic in this by the way just a theory.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Looking forward to Stipe vs. N'Gannou. If Stipe beats him, it'll be the biggest upset in the division for a long, long time, for me.

I don't think you guys are factoring in the differences here; near 19st. of natural mass and speed is an obstacle in itself for a guy so much lighter, then factor in the rest, and wow, huge plaudits for Miocic if he does anything in there.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

@Fortitude I too think Ngannou gonna win this comfortably, but if someone can beat him, its Miocic. Pumped as feck for this one.

In the other title fight, got DC by wrestlefecking. I'll put some money on Volkan though, got a feeling...

ps. DC and Ngannou yet to weight in with 45 30 minutes to go. :nervous:
ps2. Ngannou weighed in successfully at 263... Only fecking DC left.. :nervous::nervous::nervous:
ps3. We good to go!! everybody made weight!

Last edited:

Oggmonster

Looking forward to Stipe vs. N'Gannou. If Stipe beats him, it'll be the biggest upset in the division for a long, long time, for me.

I don't think you guys are factoring in the differences here; near 19st. of natural mass and speed is an obstacle in itself for a guy so much lighter, then factor in the rest, and wow, huge plaudits for Miocic if he does anything in there.
I don't know about that, Ngannou has 12 fights and really only his last 1 was against really top opposition. Miocic has beaten (and KOed) dos Santos, Overeem, Werdum, Hunt...he also KOed Arlovski when he was on a good run where as Ngannou beat him after he'd been stopped in his last 3 fights. By being the biggest upset in a long long time that implies it's some huge mismatch and Miocic is some massive underdog, that's really not the case. IF anything it does a disservice to Miocic really.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@George Owen I think N'gannou will usher in a new era for the division, personally. He's a freak to be that big yet so athletic and small guys are basically a weight class down on him. He won't gas - there's footage of him vs. An equally massive and athletic guy in African MMA where they're at it for the entire fight that goes the distance and N'gannou shows he's a got a chin and a heart, so it's a dog fight against a mountain of a man who won't give in.

As I say, I'll be amazed if Stipe can win this fight - in relative terms, it's a light heavyweight going up against a proper heavyweight.

Oggmonster

@George Owen I think N'gannou will usher in a new era for the division, personally. He's a freak to be that big yet so athletic and small guys are basically a weight class down on him. He won't gas - there's footage of him vs. An equally massive and athletic guy in African MMA where they're at it for the entire fight that goes the distance and N'gannou shows he's a got a chin and a heart, so it's a dog fight against a mountain of a man who won't give in.

As I say, I'll be amazed if Stipe can win this fight - in relative terms, it's a light heavyweight going up against a proper heavyweight.
Again surely that's a bold statement? Each fight is different, I'd guess Miocic is a much better fighter than the guy you mention and it would be much more of a struggle for Ngannou tomorrow than it would be against him. Not saying he's not a good fighter I think he is, I just think all these posts do a massive disservice to the current champion.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Again surely that's a bold statement? Each fight is different, I'd guess Miocic is a much better fighter than the guy you mention and it would be much more of a struggle for Ngannou tomorrow than it would be against him. Not saying he's not a good fighter I think he is, I just think all these posts do a massive disservice to the current champion.
If you believe in weight classes, then I don't think so. Usually 260lb+ is a fat, unathletic guy with obvious stamina and speed issues even if they have buckets of power a swift mover can evade them and just wait out the fight.

Stripe has done well in a respective weightbanding, I think that's one thing, but N'gannou represents a new one. The names on Stipe resume match a different kind of fighter; I don't think it's transferable to N'gannou.

If N'gannou was the same classification it would be disrespectful, but he really isn't: bigger, faster, more powerful than all of them with an engine and a chin.

The guy he fought was raw; both of them were, but what you can take from the fight is N'gannou can match a man his own size over a long drawn out back and forth. Someone 20lbs+ lighter simply cannot be expected to do the same (only the freak that is Cain can do that).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This fight could literally go either way. Ngannou hasn't fought any top competition yet (unless you count an aging Overreem as top competition) so it will be interesting to see how he fares against a champ. On the other hand if Stipe wins this then that will be 3 title defenses and nowhere really left to go since he would've beaten everyone except perhaps Cain.

Oggmonster

If you believe in weight classes, then I don't think so. Usually 260lb+ is a fat, unathletic guy with obvious stamina and speed issues even if they have buckets of power a swift mover can evade them and just wait out the fight.

Stripe has done well in a respective weightbanding, I think that's one thing, but N'gannou represents a new one. The names on Stipe resume match a different kind of fighter; I don't think it's transferable to N'gannou.

If N'gannou was the same classification it would be disrespectful, but he really isn't: bigger, faster, more powerful than all of them with an engine and a chin.

The guy he fought was raw; both of them were, but what you can take from the fight is N'gannou can match a man his own size over a long drawn out back and forth. Someone 20lbs+ lighter simply cannot be expected to do the same (only the freak that is Cain can do that).

That’s a bit of the WWF school of thinking to he honest.

You could work your argument both ways. Ngannou has fought no one near Stipes level and that’s a fact. Stipe has run the gauntlet at heavyweight and fought them all bar Cain as has been pointed out.

We can only find out tomorrow. I’ll never agree that if Stipe wins it’s some huge shock to the world though. Each to their own though.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Mic
This fight could literally go either way. Ngannou hasn't fought any top competition yet (unless you count an aging Overreem as top competition) so it will be interesting to see how he fares against a champ. On the other hand if Stipe wins this then that will be 3 title defenses and nowhere really left to go since he would've beaten everyone except perhaps Cain.
To be fair, Overeem was very close to finishing Stipe

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
That’s a bit of the WWF school of thinking to he honest.

You could work your argument both ways. Ngannou has fought no one near Stipes level and that’s a fact. Stipe has run the gauntlet at heavyweight and fought them all bar Cain as has been pointed out.

We can only find out tomorrow. I’ll never agree that if Stipe wins it’s some huge shock to the world though. Each to their own though.
If he gets smashed to pieces, what will you say? That weight classes are there for a reason? It's a complete size mismatch? You didn't see it coming?

For me, Stipe is facing someone outdoes him in every physical measure. N'Gannou doesn't have the resume, but I really don't think it matters when it's like saying one has a record in a weight class below the other, which makes it somewhat redundant.

I really believe N'Gannou shakes up the division and it will take someone his [natural] size to beat him, that, or Cain. But, as you say, we'll see.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If he gets smashed to pieces, what will you say? That weight classes are there for a reason? It's a complete size mismatch? You didn't see it coming?

For me, Stipe is facing someone outdoes him in every physical measure. N'Gannou doesn't have the resume, but I really don't think it matters when it's like saying one has a record in a weight class below the other, which makes it somewhat redundant.

I really believe N'Gannou shakes up the division and it will take someone his [natural] size to beat him, that, or Cain. But, as you say, we'll see.
His size doesn't really matter. We've seen the likes of Lesnar, Carwin, and Mir fight on the high end of the weight scale and we've also seen the likes of Werdum, Miocic, and Cain fight in the mid range. And of course having big muscles and a great physique means feck all in MMA.

RedFish

Would love Stipe to win, but head says N'gannou will connect and then it's good night Stipe. Really, its seems like any potential opponent right now would be a mismatch.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
His size doesn't really matter. We've seen the likes of Lesnar, Carwin, and Mir fight on the high end of the weight scale and we've also seen the likes of Werdum, Miocic, and Cain fight in the mid range. And of course having big muscles and a great physique means feck all in MMA.
Weight matters tremendously when it's accompanied by speed, technique, explosiveness and an engine to power it all effortlessly.

All of the heavy fighters you've listed had physical exploits N'gannou does not and none of them had the torque and snap in their punches that make for a boxer amd all of them gas, which enables the smaller fighter to adopt strategy.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Weight matters tremendously when it's accompanied by speed, technique, explosiveness and an engine to power it all effortlessly.

All of the heavy fighters you've listed had physical exploits N'gannou does not and none of them had the torque and snap in their punches that make for a boxer amd all of them gas, which enables the smaller fighter to adopt strategy.
Not really. The likes of Hector Lombard, Yoel Romero, Rumble Johnson, Jimmy Manuwa, Kevin Lee, and others all have explosive traits and none of them are champions. Ngannou at HW isn't any more explosive, powerful, and talented than Rumble was at LHW and he lost twice to a pudgy DC. Ultimately what matter is technique, timing, and opportunism - which is why Miocic is such a great fighter.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not really. The likes of Hector Lombard, Yoel Romero, Rumble Johnson, Jimmy Manuwa, Kevin Lee, and others all have explosive traits and none of them are champions. Ngannou at HW isn't any more explosive, powerful, and talented than Rumble was at LHW and he lost twice to a pudgy DC. Ultimately what matter is technique, timing, and opportunism - which is why Miocic is such a great fighter.
That's never been the case at HW, until Cain came along like a glitch in the matrix only because he is an absolute freak of nature who can completely stifle and smother men who are much bigger than he is.

There's rarely outrageously technical HW's, and at the size they are in the first place, it generally takes a clean shot or two for the other man to go down, let alone when a natural, athletic 260+ pounder comes in with the speed of someone around the 220ish mark.

I'll gladly eat my words on this. All will be revealed shortly.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I love Stipe he's a great character and an excellent fighter but I just can't look past Ngannou. I can see him catching Stipe early on as his power is just another level.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

With Lesnar, Carwin, Ubereem and even Mark Kerr before them, we've seen gigantic athletic freaks emerge before in heavyweight MMA, and there's been a similar narrative that they're a 'new breed' that are too big for the smaller heavyweights to deal with. Yet when the dust settled it's the likes of Fedor, JDS, Cain and Stipe, who all generally weighed in the 220-240lb range, who ended up at the top of the pile. We've yet to see much evidence that additional bodyweight above that weight range is a huge advantage at the very highest level.

And yet...I expect Ngannou to win and I'm fully on board the hype train :lol: