The MMA thread

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Well for a start because NSAC's chairman indicated that's what they were going to do:

""Both," Marnell said when asked whether Nurmagomedov is facing a fine or suspension. "It's always both. We could do one or the other, but at least in the chair's mind, I think the commission will be entertaining a recommendation from the attorney general that will include both.""
Yeah so he's going to get a suspension (that won't even matter to Khabib) and a fine from the NSAC. He isn't getting banned

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
It's all kicking off again.

I would like to address @ufc

Why didn't you fire anyone when their team attacked the bus and injured a couple of people? They could have killed someone there, why no one says anything about insulting my homeland, religion, nation, family?

Why do you have to punish my team, when both teams fought. If you say that I started it, then I do not agree, I finished what he had started.

In any case, punish me, @zubairatukhugovhas nothing to do with that.
If you think that I’ll keep silent then you are mistaken. You canceled Zubaira’s fight and you want to dismiss him just because he hit Conor. But don’t forget that it was Conor who had hit my another Brother FIRST, just check the video.

if you decide to fire him, you should know that you’ll lose me too. We never give up on our brothers in Russia and I will go to the end for my Brother. If you still decide to fire him, don’t forget to send me my broken contract, otherwise I'll break it myself.

And one more thing, you can keep my money that you are withholding. You are pretty busy with that, I hope it won’t get stuck in your throat. We have defended our honor and this is the most important thing. We intend to go to the end.
#Brothers

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I bet the UFC will back down from them claims and just let Nevada hand out the punishment. Khabib is a fecking gold mine he's going to get them Conor perks now. :D

dellboyy

UFC are just bloody idiots, they crippled any future punishment decisions by not only letting Conor escape without punishment for the bus incident, but actually using it to promote the next fight.

I admire Khabib for taking a stand, even if he's obviously not blameless.

But yeah UFC gotta back down now hahaha, they won't want to loose their latest cash cow!

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Khabib comes accross a bit simplistic imo, certainly not the brightest. Tukhugov is also quickly realizing that he's made a terrible mistake and that it could cost him his whole career so he's now asking Khabib to threaten the UFC.

He's right about his family, he might be right about religion (can't comment on that since I'm not religious but this whole affair shows once again that it's no good if you're doing it too extreme imo), but he's getting tiresome with the "he insulted my country" shit.

cyberman

It's all kicking off again.

One was in a car park, other was a riot that could easliy have spread out into the audience.
Both deserve censure but when it involves the paying public then its 10 times worse. Everybody is liable then.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Dana should take a hint from Conor not pressing charges and simply let this one go. Put out a statement that these were offsetting fouls and fighters have received a stern warning that any further indiscretions will result in suspensions and massive fines.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Tukhugov was the guy in the red, wasn't he? Whatever about Khabib, it would be an absolute disgrace if the UFC caved and let him off. He jumped into the cage and suckerpunched a defeated fighter in the back of the head. Allowing that sort of thing to pass without punishment would rob MMA of legitimacy as a sport. If people want MMA to be a mainstream sport then it has to behave like one.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The people that jumped into the octagon to strike Conor should obviously be suspended/fined. Dana does have precedence for taking action on post fight antics in the Octagon based on what he did to Paul Daley.

dellboyy

Khabib is right that Conor should at least have the same punishment as his trainers... he threw the first punch at that guy who was trying to climb over... again unsurprisingly just not consistent by UFC

rotherham_red

Tukhugov was the guy in the red, wasn't he? Whatever about Khabib, it would be an absolute disgrace if the UFC caved and let him off. He jumped into the cage and suckerpunched a defeated fighter in the back of the head. Allowing that sort of thing to pass without punishment would rob MMA of legitimacy as a sport. If people want MMA to be a mainstream sport then it has to behave like one.
No, he was the one in black who got hit by Connor on the top of the cage when trying to chase after Khabib after he went after Danis. It was only after he got hit by Connor that he went after him.

rotherham_red

One was in a car park, other was a riot that could easliy have spread out into the audience.
Both deserve censure but when it involves the paying public then its 10 times worse. Everybody is liable then.
Lol, you bring Russians and the Irish together in one spot with copious amounts of alcohol, any confrontatIon is bound to escalate, no matter what. You saw it pre- and post-fight in the skirmishes between the two sets of fans.

The person who lit the torch paper for this was McGregor and his foolish goading and enflaming geopolitical tensions in and around Chechnya and Dagestan, and the North Caucasus region generally in the build up to the fight. This was made apparent even at the time by several people in and out of the industry. So if you want to blame anyone for this, look at yer man there, and the UFC too for allowing the precedent to take place when Connor did what he did in April.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Lol, you bring Russians and the Irish together in one spot with copious amounts of alcohol, any confrontatIon is bound to escalate, no matter what. You saw it pre- and post-fight in the skirmishes between the two sets of fans.

The person who lit the torch paper for this was McGregor and his foolish goading and enflaming geopolitical tensions in and around Chechnya and Dagestan, and the North Caucasus region generally in the build up to the fight. This was made apparent even at the time by several people in and out of the industry. So if you want to blame anyone for this, look at yer man there, and the UFC too for allowing the precedent to take place when Connor did what he did in April.
Your apologetic explanations are as pathetic as the people defending McGregor in here. "Good things come to good people" with respect to a guy who jumped out of the cage into the public, my word. The fact that McGregor instigated all of it does not excuse Khabib's actions whatsoever mate and you're in denial if you think otherwise.

He knew McGregor's modus operandi before he took the fight, and with every insult thrown his way his wallet got a little bigger. Just like your "Conor got what he asked for", I could easily reply "Khabib knew what was coming his way, and should've been prepared to sit through it".

cyberman

I'm irish, we're known for having the craic abroad, this is the first bit if bother we've had at a McGregor fight so trying to pass it off with stereotypes is bordering on insulting
The world doesn't work like that. Feck knows where Kahbib thinks he can do or act how he wants because poor Conor waved at him through a bus or drank Whiskey in front of him comes from.
There is no situation in the real world where this carries weight. None.
Move the feck on already.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
Khabib comes accross a bit simplistic imo, certainly not the brightest. Tukhugov is also quickly realizing that he's made a terrible mistake and that it could cost him his whole career so he's now asking Khabib to threaten the UFC.

He's right about his family, he might be right about religion (can't comment on that since I'm not religious but this whole affair shows once again that it's no good if you're doing it too extreme imo), but he's getting tiresome with the "he insulted my country" shit.
You seems butthurt.

rotherham_red

Your apologetic explanations are as pathetic as the people defending McGregor in here. "Good things come to good people" with respect to a guy who jumped out of the cage into the public, my word. The fact that McGregor instigated all of it does not excuse Khabib's actions whatsoever mate and you're in denial if you think otherwise.
Not excusing him at all tbh, I just think that he has very good cause to question any punishment meted out to him and his crew when Connor and his lot got away with something which endangered the livelihoods of his fellow professionals and cost his promotion actual money in the form of UFC 226' card being decimated by the subsequent pull outs.

In that instance, what was worse? Multiple fighters being injured on the eve of their bouts through no fault of their own, or Khabib, rightly or wrongly, settling scores which were running since April, and going after Danis and whoever else from Conors team wanted it?

And just to repeat, I'm not excusing Khabib at all, and I wouldn't have done it if the shoe was on my foot. He'll rightly get fined and a suspension, but you can't say that there isn't a double standard in operation here...

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
You seems butthurt.
Nah not at all, although I was pissed right after the fight yeah. It's the excuses being made for Khabib and his portrayal as a messiah who punished the bad bad non-religious guy that annoy me to no end. "He started it so I had the right to act on it" is so simplistic and so wrong on many levels.

Spoony

The People's President
Khabib is tough as nails. Loved the bit where he's told them to stick their money...unlike the Irish clown he's not all about money. Respect.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Not excusing him at all tbh, I just think that he has very good cause to question any punishment meted out to him and his crew when Connor and his lot got away with something which endangered the livelihoods of his fellow professionals and cost his promotion actual money in the form of UFC 226' card being decimated by the subsequent pull outs.

In that instance, what was worse? Multiple fighters being injured on the eve of their bouts through no fault of their own, or Khabib, rightly or wrongly, settling scores which were running since April, and going after Danis and whoever else from Conors team wanted it?

And just to repeat, I'm not excusing Khabib at all, and I wouldn't have done it if the shoe was on my foot. He'll rightly get fined and a suspension, but you can't say that there isn't a double standard in operation here...
Agree with the first and last paragraph, disagree with the second. He settled scores in the cage and that should've been the end of it. He was in the wrong after the fight regardless of anything that led to his actions.

rotherham_red

I'm irish, we're known for having the craic abroad, this is the first bit if bother we've had at a McGregor fight so trying to pass it off with stereotypes is bordering on insulting
The world doesn't work like that. Feck knows where Kahbib thinks he can do or act how he wants because poor Conor waved at him through a bus or drank Whiskey in front of him comes from.
There is no situation in the real world where this carries weight. None.
Move the feck on already.
Just have a listen to Karim Zidan's interviews on what Conor was bringing up when he mentioned Chechnya and Dagestan. He's had one with Luke Thomas and one just yesterday on Off The Ball, both of which are on YouTube. Tbh, I revise my last post, the main part of the blame isn't even on Connor, it's on the UFC for letting things get out of hand to the extent that they did. They knew exactly what they were doing but chose to ignore it because it brought the money and put bums on seats.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I get the feeling from some of the Muslims in this thread and on Twitter that this was about more than just McGregor, it was about hitting back at all the taunts and shite Muslims have to put up with regularly in public. Must be quite satisfying to see one of their own responding so clinically like that, can certainly understand the feeling.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
To be fair, the UFC have let Conor off with a lot. Even after the dolly-gate, Connor refused to apologize, stating that it had to be done. Yet the UFC punished him with a title shot.

Artem was involved in that incident too, he is still in the organisation.

The UFC have three options:

1. Just draw a line and say they'll give everyone one last chance.
2. Give all the parties the same punishment.
3. Put together a card where all the parties fight each other, with Khabib vs. McGregor being the main even. Coincide that with WWE Survivor Series. Watch the cash flow in :lol:

rotherham_red

I get the feeling from some of the Muslims in this thread and on Twitter that this was about more than just McGregor, it was about hitting back at all the taunts and shite Muslims have to put up with regularly in public. Must be quite satisfying to see one of their own responding so clinically like that, can certainly understand the feeling.
You've got it in one tbh, mate. He transcends sport for a lot of us in my generation (born in the late-80s) and those who came before and after us, we came of age in the post-9/11 environment and even though it's close to twenty years late, it's nice to finally have an unapologetically Muslim male role model in one of the most hypermasculine environments around.

Oldyella

Him yes, that's a fair call. His crew? Absolutely not. This was in front of cameras, eyes of the world on them. Conor isn't without blame for swinging first but at least he was meant to be in the cage, you can't run into the cage and start digging fighters.

rotherham_red

Him yes, that's a fair call. His crew? Absolutely not. This was in front of cameras, eyes of the world on them. Conor isn't without blame for swinging first but at least he was meant to be in the cage, you can't run into the cage and start digging fighters.
Fair do's mate, I agree as well it shouldn't have happened.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I don't get this line of thinking. Yes, he made a horrible judgement call in the heat of the moment. Does that suddenly make him a bad person?
Without wanting to offend anyone, that whole line of thinking is pure and utter shite imo. Good things happen to good and bad people equally.

Oggmonster

I don't get this line of thinking. Yes, he made a horrible judgement call in the heat of the moment. Does that suddenly make him a bad person?
He hangs around with some pretty dodgy people to. Openly trained and visited Kadyrov, the co owner of his gym who went to prison is a dodgy fecker, don't get me wrong I don't think he's a horrible person but I don't think this is the only thing he's dodgy about. I'm not that arsed about the "attack" stuff really. Doesn't particularly bother me. I just don't particularly agree with the image of Khabib being a good person who got caught up in the moment.

To McGregor fanbois it does.
Yawn, get over it. Not every time there's a criticism of Khabib is it cos it's McGregor "fanbois." People allowed to criticise Khabib as well. In fact from now on anyone who praises Khabib for anything or criticises anyone else I'm gonna assume they're Khabib "fanbois"

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Rousey's comeback fight against Nunes hit the same PPV numbers as her fight against Holm according to here, her two biggest numbers ever. Brock Lesnar is the clearest example of a fighter who continues to draw way above average numbers despite minimal recent success. Conor vs Mendes 'only' got 825,000 buys. I don't see him dipping below 1 million for either of his next two fights. Agreed that Khabib's numbers will rise significantly now.
Khabib is becoming a bigger star after his performance vs Mcgregor and his PPV numbers will rise, but i doubt he will ever have the same draw as McGregor. He's not as charismatic as Conor in his press conferences, english isn't his first language so thats understandable to an extent.

I also think as technically brilliant as Khabib's style of fighting is, it won't ever really appeal to a lot of casual fans the same way top strikers do.
I feel like Ferguson can make some of this up at least for that fight - and I hope its close whoever wins so there is a rematch. Ferguson is the talker that can promote well and his fighting style is also very dynamic which would make the fight with Khabib much interesting than those mid-2000s boring ground and pound non-stop fights.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Paying a homeless man to do push ups and laughing at him does.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
To be fair, the UFC have let Conor off with a lot. Even after the dolly-gate, Connor refused to apologize, stating that it had to be done. Yet the UFC punished him with a title shot.

3. Put together a card where all the parties fight each other, with Khabib vs. McGregor being the main even. Coincide that with WWE Survivor Series. Watch the cash flow in :lol:
Which underscores my previous point about Conor setting the agenda. The UFC care about money above all else and will never do anything to bite the hand that feeds them.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Nope that wasn't even a fighter. Zubaira was in black and was standing in front of Conor when they exchanged punches.

cyberman

To be fair to Artem etc what did they actually do apart from cheerlead Conor as he threw the dolly?
Khabibs squad v Diaz a few years ago was a lot worse than that and nobody was fired?
I would say there would have been harsher consequences If Artem actually laid hands on someone

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
To be fair to Artem etc what did they actually do apart from cheerlead Conor as he threw the dolly?
Khabibs squad v Diaz a few years ago was a lot worse than that and nobody was fired?
I would say there would have been harsher consequences If Artem actually laid hands on someone
True. He'd probably break his own hand :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I agree with the punishment part but it's important to note that Conor punched someone outside of the cage and then punched Khabib's brother who was leaving the cage while ignoring him, that's what focused the attention on him. He wasn't simply a defeated fighter, he was one of the main protagonist. Now Zubaira suckerpunching him was lame and should be sanctioned accordingly.