The MMA thread

Oggmonster

Looks like Conor continues to call the shots with the UFC

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of what you're I've never heard anyone in here up in arms when it's rumoured Romero is getting the next title shot despite missing weight and losing 2 of his last 3 fights. I've never heard people complain about Cormier holding up the HW division constantly, in fact I remember people saying Joanna should get a title shot off being 1-3 in her last 4 fights (before Waterson fight.) The UFC are massively favourable towards McGregor but it seems people also conveniently forget when fighters they like may get special treatment to.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Surprised that there’s no talk in here about one of the best cards of the year.
Is it? Don't really know much about these newer guys. And female fights haven't really been my thing.

I see there's 3 title fights though and 3 of the top 10 ranked pound for pound fighters so hopefully there will be some exciting fights.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Covington v Usman is getting me genuinely excited.

Not many MMA fights I feel like that for, think this'll be an absolute brawl.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Whilst I agree with the sentiment of what you're I've never heard anyone in here up in arms when it's rumoured Romero is getting the next title shot despite missing weight and losing 2 of his last 3 fights. I've never heard people complain about Cormier holding up the HW division constantly, in fact I remember people saying Joanna should get a title shot off being 1-3 in her last 4 fights (before Waterson fight.) The UFC are massively favourable towards McGregor but it seems people also conveniently forget when fighters they like may get special treatment to.
I know what you mean but McGregor getting a shot at the LW belt if he wins a WW fight against someone coming off two losses stinks, especially if he leapfrogs Gaethje who literally just leathered Cowboy. Especially with Dana saying 'look at what Conor has done the last however many years' - he's never defended a belt, lost to the champ, beat an old man up, attacked a bus and almost ruined a card he wasn't even on, couple of alleged serious criminal incidents in Ireland and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple more.

I really like McGregor as a fighter. All his fights have been entertaining and have brought a lot of eyes to the sport. I've completely lost track of my point now because I've had a beer or two :lol: I guess I just wish Dana would stop pouring bullshit out of his mouth to justify giving McGregor the next shot over Gaethje who deserves the opportunity. It's never straightforward with someone as divisive as McGregor.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Dana, and the organisation, are as much to blame for the farce the UFC is as someone like Covington. Blaming the pawns whilst the kings and queens manipulate the proverbial board is overlooking the issues within the UFC and how it is allowed to make/break fighters and match make in the most unprofessional manner for a sport that wants to be taken seriously.

Oggmonster

I know what you mean but McGregor getting a shot at the LW belt if he wins a WW fight against someone coming off two losses stinks, especially if he leapfrogs Gaethje who literally just leathered Cowboy. Especially with Dana saying 'look at what Conor has done the last however many years' - he's never defended a belt, lost to the champ, beat an old man up, attacked a bus and almost ruined a card he wasn't even on, couple of alleged serious criminal incidents in Ireland and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple more.

I really like McGregor as a fighter. All his fights have been entertaining and have brought a lot of eyes to the sport. I've completely lost track of my point now because I've had a beer or two :lol: I guess I just wish Dana would stop pouring bullshit out of his mouth to justify giving McGregor the next shot over Gaethje who deserves the opportunity. It's never straightforward with someone as divisive as McGregor.
Yeah I definitely agree just pointing out people choose to turn a blind eye when it's a fighter that they like i.e. Joanna, Romero etc.

Covington basically admitting everything he says is an attention seeking act

Whilst it's an obvious act he's still a dick he goes way to far with it and it's painful to watch. He seems to want to be setting himself up to be a good guy or some redemption angle but he's just s bellend.

Santos J

The first ARES event is tonight, in Dakar, Senegal. Starts at 7pm UK time, Oumar Kane aka Reug Reug in the co-main event vs Sofiane Boukichou (fought in Cage Warriors, first fight back after his leg break). He's fecking massive, undefeated Senegalese wrestling heavyweight champ and a massive superstar there. Should be a good watch.

On fight pass for those that have it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Dana, and the organisation, are as much to blame for the farce the UFC is as someone like Covington. Blaming the pawns whilst the kings and queens manipulate the proverbial board is overlooking the issues within the UFC and how it is allowed to make/break fighters and match make in the most unprofessional manner for a sport that wants to be taken seriously.
Completely agree. If the UFC actually told him he "wasn't enough of a character" to be extended, then they are completely culpable for Covington's (and Conor's) antics.

Oggmonster

Completely agree. If the UFC actually told him he "wasn't enough of a character" to be extended, then they are completely culpable for Covington's (and Conor's) antics.
Possibly but he's gone so far with it he's quite clearly a cnut even if he's exaggerating. Not everything is the UFCs fault

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Possibly but he's gone so far with it he's quite clearly a cnut even if he's exaggerating. Not everything is the UFCs fault
I'm sure he is given that most other fighters don't like him, but they are clearly fanning the flames with certain fighters and the fighters are participating to save their careers.

Oggmonster

I'm sure he is given that most other fighters don't like him, but they are clearly fanning the flames with certain fighters and the fighters are participating to save their careers.
Yeah true although it's been that way in any combat sport for years really. It doesn't really bother me that much to be fair most the time the best get the shot.

Tonight is an interesting fight I think Colby will win as annoying as it will be..

What’s up with Woodley?

And it really frustrates me how long-time champions don’t get instant rematches when they lose. They deserve better. And he’s far from the first.

Aldo springs to mind, as does Miocic, who yes got his but only as other options fell through for DC

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
What’s up with Woodley?

And it really frustrates me how long-time champions don’t get instant rematches when they lose. They deserve better. And he’s far from the first.

Aldo springs to mind, as does Miocic, who yes got his but only as other options fell through for DC
Yeah exactly. But Garbrandt, who had zero title defences gets instant rematch.

Santos J

What’s up with Woodley?

If it's close then maybe but Woodley got dominated, no real need to see a rematch just because he was champ for a while IMO.

Santos J

Fecking hell the way Reug Reug just ragdolled him in the first like he weighed about 5 stone. Dropped him with a leg kick in the 2nd then a bit of a wild TKO to finish it.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Fecking hell the way Reug Reug just ragdolled him in the first like he weighed about 5 stone. Dropped him with a leg kick in the 2nd then a bit of a wild TKO to finish it.
What a beast. You know how much was the weight limit for this fight and how much was the reading of the scales? Looks humongous.

Santos J

What a beast. You know how much was the weight limit for this fight and how much was the reading of the scales? Looks humongous.
Reug Reug weighed in at 265 lbs & Boukichou at 233, threw him around like it was 133 though :lol:.

Last edited:

KanieKaned

Totally with you on that. I guess to them it’s making them money by way of selling PPVs and so on so by their morals it’s all gravy baby.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Interesting fighter that Hooper kid.