The MMA thread

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
That's a hard one to call, Till had a good flurry at the start but Whittaker actually landed more.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Yeah I'd give it to Whittaker. Was worried Herb Dean was about to call the doctor for that cut there :lol:

predator

Youth NITK
It was a great fight. Surprised it went the whole way. Sadly Adesanya had nothing to worry about from these two, but costa will be interesting.

Donut

Is UFC/MMA popularity still on the rise? I kind of lost interest after all the Mcgregor and Jones drama along with the oversaturation of events, after I've been fully invested for a long time (live events, Helwani's show, etc.). What is its situation these days?

Andersons Dietician

I feel like Till threw away the victory there. No doubt Whittaker won it but mostly due to Till just being inactive and waiting too long for that one strike.

He was making Whittaker look a fool at times slipping those big looping shots but once Rob had finished them he was off balance and Till was in the perfect position to fire a left kick or punch down the pipe and there would be nothing Rob could do as he was off balance, and in a stupid position. For whatever reason he just never pulled the trigger and there were countless opportunities to do so. If that was Wonderboy for example He would have capitalised on so so so many of those opportunities.

Just seemed to get locked in to trying to catch him with elbow when they came together.

Adesanya is going to make a mess of Costa and I wouldn’t be surprised if he catches him charging forward in the first few minutes.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It was a great fight. Surprised it went the whole way. Sadly Adesanya had nothing to worry about from these two, but costa will be interesting.
I think Costa could KO Adesanya. Izzy is not accustomed to that level of aggression. He seemed to struggle a bit against Gastelum and Costa is basically a more aggressive version of him.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Who will he fight? Can he get a ranked fighter this soon?
Doubt any top-15 fighter would accept fighting him. I think he will fight someone ranked between 15 and 25. A Gunnar Nelson, Tony Martin, James Krause, etc. (good step up fights)

For now, Chimaev is calling out Demian Maia (ranked 7). We'll see who he end up fighting.

In this Covid19 days, logic goes out of the window, fighters need to fight and pay bills, and potentially derailing a hype train, is good for biz.

If anything, fighting him now would be the best time. 2 weight cuts* in 3 weeks has to have some sort of debilitating effect, even though he is still quite young.
*3 in 1 month if you count his first fight at 185pounds (not an extreme cut compared to 170).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I can genuinely see this happening. Khabib wants it and GSP will be lured out for one final adventure that he can use as a career exclamation point. Likewise if Khabib retires undefeated, and with a win v GSP (who many regard as a GOAT candidate), then Khabib will be universally regarded as the GOAT.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I can genuinely see this happening. Khabib wants it and GSP will be lured out for one final adventure that he can use as a career exclamation point. Likewise if Khabib retires undefeated, and with a win v GSP (who many regard as a GOAT candidate), then Khabib will be universally regarded as the GOAT.

Nah. On the contrary.

A Khabib in his prime should fight the best, not an 10 years older man, way past his prime.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nah. On the contrary.

A Khabib in his prime should fight the best, not an 10 years older man, way past his prime.
He wants it though. And frankly its the only reason I could see GSP fighting again. It would probably be the biggest card ever.

RedFish

Nah. On the contrary.

I agree with this.

I think GSP has more to lose. He's pretty much universally regarded as GOAT anyway, if he loses to Khabib then that would change, although it shouldn't given he's not the same fighter he was clearly.

Khabib on the other hand would cement his GOAT credentials as no 1 when h beat a past it GSP.

All relative I'm sure GSP even now can take on X number of contenders and smash them. We're talking levels here with these 2 once in a gen fighters.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Really don’t want to see Khabib vs GSP. The guy has retired and was in his prime decade ago. What is the point?

poleglass red

No interest at all in watching GSP fight Khabib. GSP is probably my favourite fighter of all time but he's fought 3 times in 7 years, and he would step in with a prime Khabib with no warm up fights at lightweight I'm assuming, crazy. I don't think this fight would be as big as Dana thinks. I think he is underestimating the public big time. There are enough, creditable, legit challengers to keep Khabib happy for the foreseebale, no need to bring back old fighters.

Paxi

No interest at all in watching GSP fight Khabib. GSP is probably my favourite fighter of all time but he's fought 3 times in 7 years, and he would step in with a prime Khabib with no warm up fights at lightweight I'm assuming, crazy. I don't think this fight would be as big as Dana thinks. I think he is underestimating the public big time. There are enough, creditable, legit challengers to keep Khabib happy for the foreseebale, no need to bring back old fighters.
Don’t think Khabib is staying too long. I think Gaethje and GSP/Conor and that’s it. Maybe all three but that’s it. He always talked about retiring relatively early (for an MMA fighter) and I think the death of his dad will just reinforce that notion.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Don’t think Khabib is staying too long. I think Gaethje and GSP/Conor and that’s it. Maybe all three but that’s it. He always talked about retiring relatively early (for an MMA fighter) and I think the death of his dad will just reinforce that notion.
Don't think Khabib wants Conor to get a shot without beating proper contenders. He said so himself. But money talks I guess.

But bringing GSP back reeks of something WWE would do. What if GSP beats Khabib then retires? Such short term thinking.

Paxi

Don't think Khabib wants Conor to get a shot without beating proper contenders. He said so himself. But money talks I guess.

But bringing GSP back reeks of something WWE would do. What if GSP beats Khabib then retires? Such short term thinking.
Exactly. Think astronomical purse would do the trick for Khabib if push came to shove. Also expect him to retire and then unretire for Conor fight. Just an opinion though. Watch him now fight for another 6-7 years... :lol:

Paxi

@Dirty Schwein also agree re GSP. I don’t see how it helps Khabib’s legacy at all. Just fecking spar the guy behind closed doors seeing as you want to bone him so much.