The MMA thread

reddevilcanada

I have a few friends who smoke weed before league games. They told me a little bit of weed helps make them calmer and deal with jitters and nerves before competition. Never tried it myself. According to them, it will help with mental anxiety. Any athlete at any level feels some nerves before big competitions. This was a huge fight for Diaz. That's the only thing that explains why he used marijuana apart from him being an unprofessional idiot.

R0nald0

Under a rug on top of a mountain under the stars.
I doubt he smoked weed specifically for the fight. More likely he's a habitual smoker who didn't stop soon enough. According to that article he gets it legally due to a medical condition. Feck knows what.
Didn't know weed was now offered legally for the mental condition of being a complete tit! Diaz is a habitual smoker which is included in the post about his rants but surely he can stop before fights otherwise he deserves to be banned

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Just realised that Wednesday's event is not on ESPN. So I cannot Sky + the event. it is being shown through Facebook, but I will cannot watch it until I get home the following evening.

Does anyone know if you can watch that facebook stream at anytime?

Also I read that UFC will leave ESPN in August. Who will take it over? I hope not Sky, as that will lead to PPV's

Nucks

RT History Department
I have a few friends who smoke weed before league games. They told me a little bit of weed helps make them calmer and deal with jitters and nerves before competition. Never tried it myself. According to them, it will help with mental anxiety. Any athlete at any level feels some nerves before big competitions. This was a huge fight for Diaz. That's the only thing that explains why he used marijuana apart from him being an unprofessional idiot.
This is pretty much spot on.

I'm not going to say weed affects everyone exactly the same way. However, weed used in the above manner is absolutely, 100% a PED. Ross Rebagliati is a gold medalist down hill snowboarder who famously got nabbed. I'm sure many know the story, but the story is bullshit. He smoked weed before racing for one reason and one reason only, to calm nerves and increase his mental acuity.

At the collegiate level in sports, it is practically an epidemic. I know of one NCAA college football team in in '01-'05 where at least 30% of the STARTERS were smoking weed before games as a way to alleviate pre-game anxiety and to help them focus more acutely during the game.

Now, there seems to be a lot of misconceptions of what using weed to enhance your performance entails. These guys are not getting fecked up.

Take Ricky Williams for example. He is diagnosed with SEVERE social anxiety. He smoked weed because it was one of the only ways he could deal with his issues. The guy used to give interviews with a full visored helmet.

Nick Diaz has also reportedly claimed he suffers from SEVERE social anxiety and his marijuana use is also a form of self medication.

I honestly don't know where you draw the line on this, there is a reason that big phama companies in the US are patenting synthetic THC, so that they can legally sell you weed in a pill. The health benefits for anxiety, pain and other issues are documented for anyone to see.

On the other hand, used a certain way in the athletic world it can give you a mental edge in a world where a better mental state is ALL the difference.

It is sort of an ethereal concept because many people have trouble relating the mental impact weed can have on a person to what people commonly see as PEDs, stimulants and steroids.

Oh, and Nick Diaz got fecking owned. The fight wasn't competitive and I still don't see how it wasn't 5-0 for Condit on all three judges score cards. It was one of the most decisive, one sided decisions I've seen in awhile.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Same time mate. 3am. It's just expected to overrun. A few of those fights have got decision written all over them as well.

I'll dl it and watch it Sunday night.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Cage contender tonight. Not often that an Icelander is fighting. No idea who Alexander Butenko is. No idea how to watch this as well. Is this a Sky PPW thing or?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Easy peasy for Gunnar Nelson. It's been too easy for him this far in Europe yet he's almost always rated as the underdog.

Name Changed

weso26
Great card. I was very disappointed with the crowd reaction. It seemed quiet for most of the event. Maybe there was something wrong with my telly.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Great card. I was very disappointed with the crowd reaction. It seemed quiet for most of the event. Maybe there was something wrong with my telly.
Thats what the Japan fans are like. They were saying they were always quiet even in the Pride days.

Excellent event. Sad for Edgar, Dana thinks he deserved the win. He did have more takedowns and strikes to be fair

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Thats what the Japan fans are like. They were saying they were always quiet even in the Pride days.

Excellent event. Sad for Edgar, Dana thinks he deserved the win. He did have more takedowns and strikes to be fair
Dana White talking balls again. Edgar got owned, what is the point in landing strikes if they aren't doing anything.

beardsleybob

Henderson landed more strikes??

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Dana is wrong this time. No way Edgar won that fight.

Decent card apart from Rampage v Bader which was a bit of a let down. Cool entrances though.