The MMA thread

reddevilcanada

It was a close fight, but Henderson won it for me. His strikes were much more punishing than Edgars as the evidence shows. The two big moments in the fight also went in Henderson's favor: that upkick in the second round and the guillotine attempt. As these show, even though Edgar may have had 'more' strikes/takedowns, it was Edgar who came off worse in these exchanges. If he hadn't taken Henderson down, he won't have suffered that nasty up-kick. What these do show though is Edgar's heart. Another thing to consider was that Henderson was the one chasing Edgar around and certainly had the Octagon control. Should be a tasty fight between him and Pettis.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just watched the fight last night, and IMO henderson won quite clearly.

The upkick was definitely the match winning moment IMO, that cut to the face and the damage to Edgars eye was the decision swayer, and the fact that Henderson looked like he had been out for a mornin stroll really didnt help.

The only point i can remember henderson being in possible trouble was when he got taken down, but he straight away reversed it into a gullotine which gave him the momentum.

Edgar is 1 brave S.O.B and he gave it his all as usual, but Henderson in this fight was the worthy champion.

EspadaYdaga

Inbred

Imagine if that kick in the first round had connected when edgar was holding hendersons foot and he did that jump kick from his standing leg

reddevilcanada

Henderson put a shit load of power behind that kick too. It would've knocked Edgar out for sure, but then Frankie would still come back next round somehow. I don't think Edgar's ever been finished, and likely will never be. down but never out.

Name Changed

weso26
I thought Henderson won it quite clearly. Edgar throws a lot of shots, but he doesn't seem to have that much power behind them in comparison to other fighters.

Adam-Utd

I thought Henderson won it quite clearly. Edgar throws a lot of shots, but he doesn't seem to have that much power behind them in comparison to other fighters.
Agreed, this isnt boxing, IMO it doesnt matter how many punches you throw, but how effective you are and how much damage you cause.

Edgar inflicted hardly any damage while Henderson clearly cut and marked Edgar badly.

Edgar may of tripped him a few times but he was never really in control of the fight.

Leg-End

Henderson put a shit load of power behind that kick too. It would've knocked Edgar out for sure, but then Frankie would still come back next round somehow. I don't think Edgar's ever been finished, and likely will never be. down but never out.
Someone will stop him one day, age always gets them in the end. Just depends if he stops way before his sell by date really.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
There's a fairly shite looking Strikeforce card starting now for any insomniacs out there. Tate vs Rousey main event, Paul Daley, Scott Smith and Jacare Souza all on the undercard.

I think Cormier vs Barnett and Mike Kyle vs Gerard Mousasi were both originally scheduled to be on this Strikeforce date. That would have been awesome.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Is Mousasi not fighting at all now? Wanted to see that. Might give it a watch anyway.
Not on this card mate. Cormier-Barnett has been rescheduled for 19th May and there's no cards on in between so hopefully it'll be on that. Those two fights would equal one of my most anticipated MMA cards ever as I've furiously nuthugged both Cormier and Mousasi since early in their careers.

Tonight's event was good from what I watched. Masaki worked the shit out of Daley. Thought Daley would be a top 5 welterweight at some point but he doesn't seem to have the temperament to match his power. Jacare looked good - worlld class BJJ coupled with pretty aggressive striking makes for an entertaining style. Jacare vs Palhares would be awesome.

Rousey's armbar on Tate was sickening. I don't doubt the skill level or heart of elite female MMA competitors whatsoever, but it can make for painful viewing at the moment. Seems like the competitors (and the officials) feel compelled to show that they can take freakish amounts of punishment to prove that they belong in there. Tonight and Cris Cyborg vs Jan Finney are two of the most brutal spectacles I've seen in MMA, and I've probably only seen 5-10 women's MMA fights in total.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Not a fan of womens MMA, just feels wrong. Watched the fight just now, I found it quite erotic to be fair.

Leg-End

Rousey is about to blow up, shes got the talent and the looks. Great fight again from her though, she is deadly on the ground.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
She really is smoking.

Been reading about her and looked at some of her other fights on youtube this morning.

She breaks every other girls arm pretty much. They will be terrified to go up against her

She is a minx.

This pic is like "oh I just broke your arm and looked sexy doing it"

I am in love

EspadaYdaga

Inbred
that ref was shit though... he should have stopped it when he saw the capsule pop and the arm bent back about 60 degrees in the wrong direction, doesn't matter if the fighter taps or not, if the arm is snapped the fight should be stopped.
looked really nasty when rousey added that extra twist.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Apparently her arm wasn't actually broken. feck knows about the state of her tendons and ligaments though.

Personally I think it's stupid to let pride jeopardise your career and health but hey that's what makes fighters fighters.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Apparently her arm wasn't actually broken. feck knows about the state of her tendons and ligaments though.

Personally I think it's stupid to let pride jeopardise your career and health but hey that's what makes fighters fighters.
Speaking of what makes fighters fighters, I'm always amazed/frightened that someone can keep on yanking on an arm after they feel the elbow joint pop out of it's socket. I get squeamish just thinking about it.

Apparently Rousey eased off on someone in an earlier fight in her career because she was worried about injuring them, only for them to get up and batter her. Ever since she says she won't stop cranking until the referee hauls her off.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Yep. It's not unheard of for fighters to go on and win after suffering a dislocated arm. Brandon Vera did as did Conor Huen in Strikeforce.

He won a decision with his arm in this state...

Can't really blame Rousey for cranking it but I'm with you on feeling a bit squeamish about it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nogueira's (lack of) facial expression was brilliant. He looked almost completely un-bothered by his arm getting a new elbow joint that bent the wrong way. Nails.

Didn't Forrest Griffin once get an arm broken only to get back to his feet and knock the bloke out with his one good arm?

I really hope that's true - because it's an awesome story - but the fact he doesn't seem to have the power to knock anyone out, even with two good arms, makes me doubt it.

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
Nogueira's (lack of) facial expression was brilliant. He looked almost completely un-bothered by his arm getting a new elbow joint that bent the wrong way. Nails.

Didn't Forrest Griffin once get an arm broken only to get back to his feet and knock the bloke out with his one good arm?

I really hope that's true - because it's an awesome story - but the fact he doesn't seem to have the power to knock anyone out, even with two good arms, makes me doubt it.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Seeing as we are talking broken bones. This cannot be left out.

Its very famous I know, but if you dont like horrible breaks - best off not watching this -

beardsleybob

Same happened with Franklin vs Liddell, notice he's not throwing any power with his left:

Caught this on Reddit last night, got very startled by it :nervous:

Adam-Utd

Wow how the skin didnt break i dont know, thats one of the worst breaks ive ever seen.

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
UFC 146 is going to be amazing.

Ufc 146 Las Vegas, Nevada May 26th, 2012
Alistair Overeem(#2) vs Junior Dos Santos(#1)- Hw title fight
Cain Velasquez(#3) vs Frank Mir(#4)
Bigfoot Silva(#10) vs Roy Nelson(#14)
Mark Hunt(#22) vs Stefan Struve(#20)
Gabriel Gonzaga(#22) vs Shane Del Rosario

FX prelims
Edson Barboza vs Evan Dunham
Mayhem Miller vs CB Dollaway
Kyle Kingsbury vs Glover Teixeira
Dan Hardy vs Duane Ludwig
Diego Brandao vs Darren Elkins
Paul Sass vs Jacob Volkmann

Can't wait to see Diego Brandao fight again either.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports

FX prelims

That's a smashing card. Guaranteed action.

Stephen87

FX prelims

That card is immense! Skip the submission of the night bonus and add a extra knockout of the night bonus.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Yep its a real shame. Feckin idiot. I actually thought he was clean because he had not failed one previously.

They need to re shuffle what looked a brilliant card. Not sure what they should do.

Name Changed

weso26
This has ruined a brilliant card. Did anyone see Sonnen's comment on twitter? Talk about pot kettle black.