The MMA thread

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
So 40 year old Silva, coming off of drug doping, with a recently snapped in half shin injury and a year without a fight? Am I missing something here? Is Bisping such a bitch that he cant win this fight?
I wouldn't call him a bitch for not winning but it's certainty a massive opportunity for Bisping

Manny

Grammar Police
So 40 year old Silva, coming off of drug doping, with a recently snapped in half shin injury and a year without a fight? Am I missing something here? Is Bisping such a bitch that he cant win this fight?
:smirk:

Are you being serious? Bisping should/will get his ass handed to him.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Are you familiar with Anderson silva?

He still has unbelievable skills
To be fair @Gol123 is 18.

The last time Anderson put on a show was Oct 2012. He'd have been 15 and likely watching WWF :)
I am familiar Anderson Silva and his 16 game unbeaten record. Question is, how much of that was down to his opponents being mentally beaten before the fight. Now that he has suffered a couple losses recently and what with coming back from a horrific break which will slow him down and also adding his age in, I don't think he will ever reach close to peak levels again.

An athletes body can quickly deteriorate at a certain point in their age and Silva, with his injury and coming off doping may just be experiencing that worse then other athletes.

Name Changed

weso26
Why do you think I am bitter?

That was arguably the biggest fight in years, and it ended in the way that it did. If you think they fought 1000 more times, how many times do you think either guy would win via KO in the first 20s? What exactly did you learn about these two guys in that fight?

I've said, I'm not a fan of McGregor, nor am I a fan of Aldo.

I'm sorry your understanding of combat sports is so shallow, but I spoke the truth. Getting caught cold in the first seconds of a fight while decisive, is hardly telling. That's the truth. I want to see them go at it again, sooner rather than later. If McGregor does it again, then it isn't just catching him early, which can happen to anyone. Then it's a trend and it's telling.

Bitter about the outcome, well I guess in a manner, I'm disappointed that the fight was over in seconds. Not over the outcome. I thought Aldo would win, but I didn't actually care who won.
Decisive and telling is exactly what it is. Anyone can get caught with anything and get knocked out. However, in this instance, McGregor called it. He called the shot. He said exactly what Aldo was going to do, and what he was going to do to capitalise and knock Aldo out. And that is exactly what happened. McGregor rehearsed it, practised it, visualised it, over and over again. There was no luck. It was exactly as planned. It doesn't get any more decisive nor does it get any more telling.

Name Changed

weso26
Schaub is a blithering idiot though and Rogan is little better at times. Fwiw Rogan recently posted an apology after people on Reddit and twitter posted numerous photos from previous fights and showing that he looked exactly the same as ever. That's not to say he or anyone isn't doping. The probability is high that most of them are/were but there's no way it's just a Brazilian problem, that's bordering on pure xenophobic bullshit. If anything Weidman is the most mysterious one from UFC 194. He went from making a big cut at MW to cutting from just 193 pounds or something this time around and looking kinda shit in the fight. Not to mention having the testosterone levels of a 90 year old cancer patient for the Belfort fight which experts on the matter said was actually more suspicious than Vitor's levels!

Similar with the upcoming LW title fight. It's rather bewildering that Cerrone is banging on about how he believes RDA is juicing, considering he's the one that has failed a drug test in the past. You'd think he'd rather keep quiet about all that.
Rogan apologised for what came out (leaked) but he still says that Aldo looked softer and that photos don't really show the difference. Schaub comes across very well in my opinion.

There's nothing xenophobic about saying that there is a particularly bad problem when it comes to Brazilian athletes getting tested. There is a long history of them being notoriously hard to test. The Aldo stuff like trying to get the tester thrown out of the country and then falling & spilling his urine is frankly damning.

Obviously other fighters have been caught and will continue to be, but certain camps will always be more likely to be caught.

In relation to Weidman, I didn't hear anything about his cut, but he was fighting who is stylistically probably his hardest fight. I was convinced Rockhold would win that one and any subsequent rematch.

The lack of doping with both Overeem and JDS made them both look unfit, slow and pretty damn average.

Name Changed

weso26
It's been a great year for title changes. Anyone have any predictions for the end of 2016?

I think there could be a few.

Heavyweight - Velasquez
Light heavyweight - Jones
Middleweight - Rockhold
Welterweight - Condit
Lightweight - Ferguson
Featherweight - McGregor
Bantamweight - Cruz
Flyweight - Johnson
Women's bantamweight - Holm
Strawweight - Jedrzejczyk​

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I am familiar Anderson Silva and his 16 game unbeaten record. Question is, how much of that was down to his opponents being mentally beaten before the fight. Now that he has suffered a couple losses recently and what with coming back from a horrific break which will slow him down and also adding his age in, I don't think he will ever reach close to peak levels again.

An athletes body can quickly deteriorate at a certain point in their age and Silva, with his injury and coming off doping may just be experiencing that worse then other athletes.
Maybe, its just hard to imagine him deteriorating that much so fast. Bisping is only getting the fight cuz its in London.

Anderson didn't look the same in his last two fights, and he may never mentally recover. I hope the swagger comes back.

Gotta admire Bisping's willingness to get beaten for money. I just pitty his brain.

justboy68

I thought Bisping was already booked to face Mousasi? Either way this is a better main event. I love the spider, it felt like he was in the matrix at times. Still I think Bisping honestly has an outside chance here, age catches up with everyone and Silva must be way past his peak now.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Well know that's not the reason

It was due to it being an underwhelming card and UFC decided to really push figh pass this year

Moussasi is still expected to be on the card
I was only kidding. I heard Mousasi will be the co-main. Kicking myself for not getting tickets!!!!

weak ass chin though.
The problem is landing on that chin. He is very evasive.

JP77

Bisping has finally got his wish there, he's wanted Silva for years now. Bisping's a good fighter but the only way I see him beating Silva is with a five round decision. Expect Silva will KO him in spectacular fashion to be honest. I think some people forget just how good Silva was and even still is.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Behave. Ko'd once in his career and he's got a weak ass chin? Ridiculously ignorant post.
Ive heard that getting hit on the chin causes the jaw to slide sideways and pinch a nerve in the neck, which causes unconsciousness/partial unconsciousness. It didnt look like Weidman hit Silva with much, but it was "on the button".

Check out this KO of Lawler by Nick fecking Diaz!

Lawler has one of the best chins ever.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Not ignorant, true. He was never hit during the majority of his fights, Weidman threw a weak left hook and knocked him out cold.
Nah you're talking utter bollocks I'm afraid. I've seen him live and I've seen him standing in front of an opponent inviting punches into his face.

Weidman caught him with a clean shot right on the button that he wasn't expecting. One exception doesn't make the rule. Christ if 1 ko in a 20 year career means you've got a weak chin then I don't know who's got a strong one.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Nah you're talking utter bollocks I'm afraid. I've seen him live and I've seen him standing in front of an opponent inviting punches into his face.

Weidman caught him with a clean shot right on the button that he wasn't expecting. One exception doesn't make the rule. Christ if 1 ko in a 20 year career means you've got a weak chin then I don't know who's got a strong one.
Happens to all Brazilian juicers. Their jaw bone whittles due to lack of PED's + age. 40 year old Anderson Silva is fragile.

Skizzo

Ive heard that getting hit on the chin causes the jaw to slide sideways and pinch a nerve in the neck, which causes unconsciousness/partial unconsciousness. It didnt look like Weidman hit Silva with much, but it was "on the button".

Check out this KO of Lawler by Nick fecking Diaz!

Lawler has one of the best chins ever.

I thought it was more to do with the rapid acceleration/deceleration of the brain within the head as it snaps. The muscles, tendons etc stop the head from moving after a fraction of a second, but since the brain is floating in fluid, it can't stop as quickly and crashes into the skull.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I thought it was more to do with the rapid acceleration/deceleration of the brain within the head as it snaps. The muscles, tendons etc stop the head from moving after a fraction of a second, but since the brain is floating in fluid, it can't stop as quickly and crashes into the skull.
You're right. I'm not denying that Goo may have a case but the dominant factor in losing consciousness is exactly the situation that you described.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
That is a way unconsciousness happens. Sure doesnt look like what happened there, though, does it? Apparently the complete mechancisms of unconsciousness are not well understood.

Skizzo

That is a way unconsciousness happens. Sure doesnt look like what happened there, though, does it? Apparently the complete mechancisms of unconsciousness are not well understood.
Wel it would be hard to tell exactly from the video. To me, it seems Lawlor "relaxed" somewhat as he stepped into that ko punch, since he wasn't expecting it. Without bracing for impact, he wouldn't have absorbed it very well, and even that short snap of the head could be enough to put him down. I agree there's plenty still to learn about it though, and I wouldn't rule out something along the lines of what you first said. Some even think that working out neck muscles will help ko resistance since you can better absorb impact.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
One thing that is severely irksome about the UFC is how they seem to promote certain fighters and discard others. Thinking mainly of Northcutt, Conor, Paige on one hand, and the likes of Aldo, Miesha Tate, and probably a few others on the other side. Seems like a bit of a passive aggressive operation.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
One thing that is severely irksome about the UFC is how they seem to promote certain fighters and discard others. Thinking mainly of Northcutt, Conor, Paige on one hand, and the likes of Aldo, Miesha Tate, and probably a few others on the other side. Seems like a bit of a passive aggressive operation.
Also cant speak English. Makes it harder to promote his fights.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Also cant speak English. Makes it harder to promote his fights.
Half the Brazilians can't speak English. They don't like Aldo because of his prior cancellations apparently. Pretty shocking treatment for one of the all time greats in the sport.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Half the Brazilians can't speak English. They don't like Aldo because of his prior cancellations apparently. Pretty shocking treatment for one of the all time greats in the sport.
Plus he is a bit boring.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I suppose winning all the time for an entire decade can do that.
I actually think this 13 second loss may be good for his publicity. People will be more interested in him now.

Also, cancelling drug tests will piss off your employer.