The MMA thread

justboy68

I never said Condit wasn't throwing with power. I said he wasn't landing anything amazing in that 3rd round. All his power shots might have come in the more clear cut rounds of 1 and 4.

So you guys are telling me Condit threw 502 significant strikes out of 504 in total? And that only 2 of the strikes he landed were not significant?
Significant strikes is a but of a misleading name. Every strike in the stand up is classed as significant, the only strikes that aren't classed as significant are short strikes in the clinch and on the ground. Conditions landed as many significant strikes as Lawler threw, that doesn't account for power though.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Exactly. That stats bollocks is irrlevea
I never said Condit wasn't throwing with power. I said he wasn't landing anything amazing in that 3rd round. All his power shots might have come in the more clear cut rounds of 1 and 4.

So you guys are telling me Condit threw 502 significant strikes out of 504 in total? And that only 2 of the strikes he landed were not significant?
You can see how useless those stats are by virtue of the fact it's got Condit ahead even in the last round when anyone with eyes can see he was clinging on for dear life through most of it.

Significant strikes is a very subjective term. Clearly.

justboy68

You can see how useless those stats are by virtue of the fact it's got Condit ahead even in the last round when anyone with eyes can see he was clinging on for dear life through most of it.

It's not subjective at all I just explained it in the last post. Technically Condit actually threw and landed more significant strikes, even in round 5. That's an objective truth. As I said though don't confuse significant strikes for power. It literally just means every strike in the stand up and powerful shots in the clinch and on the ground. It should have a different name really.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
It's not subjective at all I just explained it in the last post. Technically Condit actually threw and landed more significant strikes, even in round 5. That's an objective truth. As I said though don't confuse significant strikes for power. It literally just means every strike in the stand up and powerful shots in the clinch and on the ground. It should have a different name really.
Well it is subjective in the eyes of the judges which for all intents and purposes is what this discussion relates to. I don't care what fightmetric says. Added to which Lawler was clearly the one controlling the Octagon for most of the fight and was the one pushing forward which is something I haven't seen any of the experts on here mention yet.

Nucks

RT History Department

I don't think there was really a moment in the fifth where "he was clinging on for dear life". Robbie was coming out like the beast he is, and he was hitting Carlos, but Carlos wasn't hurt so much as exhausted, which Robbie was also.

I thought the last minute or so of the round was rather telling and rather hilarious. Carlos was wading in like a maniac, getting tagged, tagging Robbie but he was so exhausted he couldn't even get his knee up to make contact on the knees he threw. He also threw a kick at one point, where his foot only got about a foot off the ground.

The fifth round was pretty clearly Robbies, but it wasn't like he was about to end the fight at any second, he was hitting Carlos clean and Carlos didn't like it but he also didn't seem to be hurt, it was more like two maniacs threw everything and the kitchen sink at each other, and Robbie landed the more effective shots in the opening and middle stanzas of the round. I thought Carlos actually punched himself out a bit in the fourth round when he hurt Robbie and jumped on him. It took until about 2/3rds of the way through the round for Robbie to reach an equivalent level of exhaustion.

At the end of the fight, I thought it was a pretty clear cut victory for Carlos. Again, both guys are maniacs. Just IDGAF tier nutters.

justboy68

Well it is subjective in the eyes of the judges which for all intents and purposes is what this discussion relates to. I don't care what fightmetric says. Added to which Lawler was clearly the one controlling the Octagon for most of the fight and was the one pushing forward which is something I haven't seen any of the experts on here mention yet.
Significant strikes is not a subjective stat it is just a misleading name and not the be all and end all. Fights aren't supposed to be judged purely on significant strikes, clearly Condit didn't actually win the 5th round. Like all stats they are useful just to complement what you witness. The main reason significant strikes can be misleading as a stat is actually because it lacks any subjectivity in terms of differentiating between a power strike and a normal strike.

As for the second point, yes Lawler was the aggressor. Octagon control is a really vague term that I've never liked. No one can adequately explain it. Most of the time the person who is the aggressor is just considered to be controlling the octagon as well, which is a double reward. Both guys were looking to stand and bang and that's what they did, I'm not really sure if either had more 'octagon control' than the other overall. I'm a big fan of Lawler he's one of my favourite champions and he puts on great fights. It was just disappointing for it to end in a very controversial decision, if the scores had gone as about 75% of people saw it no one would have complained. Now all anyone is talking about is the 3rd round which was maybe the most uneventful round of the fight. To top it off Condit is talking about retiring which is a bummer. Hopefully he can be convinced to run this one back. Circumstances like this are the only time immediate rematches are valid in my opinion.

I think I'm going to go back and watch each round carefully and see if I see the fight differently on second viewing.

justboy68

Upon rewatch:

Round 1: Condit. Not much analysis needed.

Round 2: Lawler. Condit was the aggressor in this round but Lawler caught him with some nice shots and of course got a knockdown.

Round 3: Okay so the most important round. Condit was the aggressor in the first 1:20 of the round, controlling the distance with kicks, Lawler was defending decently but offering nothing. Then Lawler goes on the front foot and lands a few nice shots backing Carlos up to the cage, but Carlos also lands a nice knee in the process which Lawler eats. As they come back to the centre Lawler lands a very nice elbow. The next 2 minutes is similar to the start of the round with Condit the aggressor and controlling the distance with kicks, most defended apart from leg kicks getting through. In the final minute Condit throws a decent flurry and backs Lawler up against the cage. Lawler reverses and tries for a takedown, Condit reverses and they separate with Robbie back on the outside and Condit the aggressor. Good body kick lands for Carlos and a good leg kick for Robbie. The round ends.

It's a pretty close round but, still, it isn't really a hard round to score in favour of Condit in my opinion. It feels like a real reach to award that round for Robbie. He barely threw anything apart from a nice minute stretch where he went on the offensive and landed some good strikes as well as a nice elbow. He also ate a nice knee in that period though and the rest of the round was all Condit.

Round 4: Some nice counter punching from Robbie in the first minute but eventually Condit takes over and begins to dominate. Robbie becomes more urgent but Condit retains the upper hand and goes back to picking him apart for most of the round. He wobbles him with 40 seconds of the round to go and really puts the pressure on with Robbie hurt up against the cage. Condit.

Round 5: Madness. Robbie comes flying out of the blocks but Carlos actually copes with it well initially and lands the better shots in the first minute of the round. Robbie lands a nice overhand right near the cage but Carlos goes back to winning the exchanges once back in the centre of the octagon. Condit is winning the round with 1:40 to go when Lawler lands a beautiful counter right. From there Robbie backs him to the cage and really starts swinging for the fences. Condit tries to return in kind but Robbie is the one landing the bombs. Condit is completely spent but his chin is made of titanium and holds up. With 1 minute to go Robbie has also emptied his gas tank and they stumble around, right at the death they are swinging wildly.

Fantastic round. Both guys are absolute warriors as we already knew. Lawler won the round but it was actually closer than I thought on first viewing.

Summary:

48-47 Condit. Kind of a close fight but I stick by my initial view that it wasn't really that hard a fight to score. Lawler did land some nice shots but they were too few and far between. Condit had Lawler in trouble briefly towards the end of the 4th. Lawler had Condit briefly in trouble in the 5th. Both guys have solid chins and held up. Hopefully we will see it settled in a rematch, no offence to Woodley but I think most would rather see this run back. At the very least I hope Condit doesn't retire off of the loss. Both guys are class acts and fan favourites.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Upon rewatch:

Round 1: Condit. Not much analysis needed.

Round 2: Lawler. Condit was the aggressor in this round but Lawler caught him with some nice shots and of course got a knockdown.

Round 3: Okay so the most important round. Condit was the aggressor in the first 1:20 of the round, controlling the distance with kicks, Lawler was defending decently but offering nothing. Then Lawler goes on the front foot and lands a few nice shots backing Carlos up to the cage, but Carlos also lands a nice knee in the process which Lawler eats. As they come back to the centre Lawler lands a very nice elbow. The next 2 minutes is similar to the start of the round with Condit the aggressor and controlling the distance with kicks, most defended apart from leg kicks getting through. In the final minute Condit throws a decent flurry and backs Lawler up against the cage. Lawler reverses and tries for a takedown, Condit reverses and they separate with Robbie back on the outside and Condit the aggressor. Good body kick lands for Carlos and a good leg kick for Robbie. The round ends.

It's a pretty close round but, still, it isn't really a hard round to score in favour of Condit in my opinion. It feels like a real reach to award that round for Robbie. He barely threw anything apart from a nice minute stretch where he went on the offensive and landed some good strikes as well as a nice elbow. He also ate a nice knee in that period though and the rest of the round was all Condit.

Round 4: Some nice counter punching from Robbie in the first minute but eventually Condit takes over and begins to dominate. Robbie becomes more urgent but Condit retains the upper hand and goes back to picking him apart for most of the round. He wobbles him with 40 seconds of the round to go and really puts the pressure on with Robbie hurt up against the cage. Condit.

Round 5: Madness. Robbie comes flying out of the blocks but Carlos actually copes with it well initially and lands the better shots in the first minute of the round. Robbie lands a nice overhand right near the cage but Carlos goes back to winning the exchanges once back in the centre of the octagon. Condit is winning the round with 1:40 to go when Lawler lands a beautiful counter right. From there Robbie backs him to the cage and really starts swinging for the fences. Condit tries to return in kind but Robbie is the one landing the bombs. Condit is completely spent but his chin is made of titanium and holds up. With 1 minute to go Robbie has also emptied his gas tank and they stumble around, right at the death they are swinging wildly.

Fantastic round. Both guys are absolute warriors as we already knew. Lawler won the round but it was actually closer than I thought on first viewing.

Summary:

48-47 Condit. Kind of a close fight but I stick by my initial view that it wasn't really that hard a fight to score. Lawler did land some nice shots but they were too few and far between. Condit had Lawler in trouble briefly towards the end of the 4th. Lawler had Condit briefly in trouble in the 5th. Both guys have solid chins and held up. Hopefully we will see it settled in a rematch, no offence to Woodley but I think most would rather see this run back. At the very least I hope Condit doesn't retire off of the loss. Both guys are class acts and fan favourites.
You really like that word :lol:

I agree with your analysis but not sure about the rematch thing. I don't think Condit deserved a title shot over Woodley in the first place (as well as many others) and I don't think the UFC will screw these other guys up again to give Condit another shot at the title.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I quite like this idea to make it a 20 point scoring system

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/01/04/ufc-195-aftermath-how-do-we-solve-mmas-judging-issue/

There are far too many flaws with the 10-point must system for MMA to continue relying on it for too much longer. It was co-opted from boxing when the sport was in its infancy and over the years, but we need to find a better method going forward.

That could be something as simple as moving from a 10-point system to scoring rounds out of 20 or using half-points, as both provide greater opportunity for variations in scoring, allowing officials to better highlight the slight differences between frames. Right now, the majority of rounds are scored 10-9, but looking at the Lawler-Condit fight from Saturday, you can see the problem with the over-reliance on that score.

Every round of that fight was scored 10-9 by every judge, but each frame was different. Lawler knocked Condit down in the second, but received the same score as Condit did in the first when he simply landed more strikes without putting Lawler on the canvas. In the fifth, the champion had the challenger on the ropes, covering up and trying to survive to the final bell, but all three judges still turned in 10-9 rounds in favour of Lawler, the same score they each submitted for the ultra-close third round that proved to be the deciding frame of the fight.

Personally, I like the idea of scoring rounds out of 20:

20-19 for rounds where one fighter holds a slight edge
20-18 for rounds where it’s clear who won the round, but there is nothing major that transpires
20-17 for rounds where a knockdown or clear “Fighter A is in danger” period occurs
20-16 for rounds where one fighter dominates the entire round and is close to finishing the fight
20-15 for rounds where you wouldn’t have complained if the referee stopped the fight

Using those scoring options, Lawler-Condit ends up as a draw for me (18-20, 20-18, 19-20, 18-20, 20-17 for 95-95) and that feels like a more accurate representation of what happened both in each individual round and the fight as a whole than 10-9s across the board for split 48-47 scores. Throughout the year, I’m going to try to run back at least one fight per week that ended with controversial/debated scorecards using this method to see how they would shake out, just to get a feel for if this system would be an improvement or not.

(Note: I know scoring is subjective so how everyone scores a particular round is different, but I think those that cover this sport for a living have a pretty good handle on scoring fights, for the most part.)

justboy68

You really like that word :lol:

I agree with your analysis but not sure about the rematch thing. I don't think Condit deserved a title shot over Woodley in the first place (as well as many others) and I don't think the UFC will screw these other guys up again to give Condit another shot at the title.
Nice spot. :D

I'd normally put a bit more effort into my adjectives to be fair, but I was mainly just using it to highlight certain key strikes and I had Joe Rogan ringing in my ear.

justboy68

JP77

I've only watched the fight once so far, on first watching it my feeling was that Condit was throwing a lot of stuff that wasn't really doing a great deal. It made him look more active at times than he actually was.

There's no way this fight was one of the more bad judging decisions. I did have it in Condit's favor but round three was the toss up and I'd probably need to go back and watch that round again to see how I felt second time around. It seems harsh towards Condit but this certainly isn't the first time we've seen a champion get the decision in a close fight. Jones getting the decision over Gus was another example and IMO a worst decision than this one.

Close fight whichever way you score it, I'm not really getting where some people are coming from though with thinking this was a horrendous decision or not a close fight. Condit winning even a draw wouldn't have surprised me for this fight, could easily have swung either way in a fight like this.

Mighty Boosh

I've only watched the fight once so far, on first watching it my feeling was that Condit was throwing a lot of stuff that wasn't really doing a great deal. It made him look more active at times than he actually was.

There's no way this fight was one of the more bad judging decisions. I did have it in Condit's favor but round three was the toss up and I'd probably need to go back and watch that round again to see how I felt second time around. It seems harsh towards Condit but this certainly isn't the first time we've seen a champion get the decision in a close fight. Jones getting the decision over Gus was another example and IMO a worst decision than this one.

Close fight whichever way you score it, I'm not really getting where some people are coming from though with thinking this was a horrendous decision or not a close fight. Condit winning even a draw wouldn't have surprised me for this fight, could easily have swung either way in a fight like this.
Basically this. I think I was trying to will Condit to win while watching the fight. In the heat of the fight it looked like he was destroying Lawler with his huge output and ridiculous combinations but in reality it all hinged on Round 3 which truthfully could have gone either way. Still devastated for him though and I hope it's not the last we see of him in the Octagon as he's a very enjoyable fighter to watch. On the other hand Lawler has taken some punishment recently, every fight he's involved in almost seems to be a contender for Fight of the Year.

Nucks

RT History Department
Basically this. I think I was trying to will Condit to win while watching the fight. In the heat of the fight it looked like he was destroying Lawler with his huge output and ridiculous combinations but in reality it all hinged on Round 3 which truthfully could have gone either way. Still devastated for him though and I hope it's not the last we see of him in the Octagon as he's a very enjoyable fighter to watch. On the other hand Lawler has taken some punishment recently, every fight he's involved in almost seems to be a contender for Fight of the Year.
Lawler is one tough SOB.

He pretty much beat Rory by being tougher because he was losing the fight pretty decisively, and yet he finally made Rory shut down. I don't think he will hold onto the belt long term, and I can see the belt being passed around a bit.

Just goes to show you how good GSP was in an amazingly talented division.

JP77

Ronda isn't getting the first shot at Holm according to Dana. Holly wants to fight sooner than that so seems we could see Tate or somebody else get the first shot. Rousey/Holm 2 will happen though.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Apparently Dana is open for Conor to be two weight champ... what a surprise.

In other news:

Bones at it again :lol:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Dos Anjos vs. McGregor and Holm vs. Tate apparently set to be announced for UFC 197 on March 5th, probably a bit too early in the year for me to try and get over to Vegas again. :(

Unreal card if it's true though, and McGregor is a mad man. I don't like the match up for him but I can't doubt the man at all, I think he'll win.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Dos Anjos vs. McGregor and Holm vs. Tate apparently set to be announced for UFC 197 on March 5th, probably a bit too early in the year for me to try and get over to Vegas again. :(

Unreal card if it's true though, and McGregor is a mad man. I don't like the match up for him but I can't doubt the man at all, I think he'll win.
RDA is just so much bigger

He drops a lot to make lightweight....Ive no idea

But jesus you can never claim he backs away from a challenge

KiD MoYeS

McGregor will still tower over him though, which is an advantage Conor uses expertly.

Will be the fun to watch the McGregor doubters all over again!

justboy68

McGregor will still tower over him though, which is an advantage Conor uses expertly.

Will be the fun to watch the McGregor doubters all over again!
Officially they are listed as the same height. His size advantage will be completely gone although he will still have a reach advantage. Man this is such a great fight. RDA is in his absolute prime right now and is looking like one of the scariest LW's ever. McGregor has balls of steel jumping up to lightweight and getting in there with him in his first fight in the division. Who's to say Mcgregor won't just KO him like he has done everyone else though? RDA should in theory just throw him down to the mat and beat the ever loving shit out of him like he did to Pettis. However that's how most of Conor's fights should have gone and he's just come through every test with flying colours, blowing everyone's mind along the way. I'm done betting against Conor now, I just know I can't wait for this fight. It really is the famed 'superfight' that has so long been a debate in the UFC.

KiD MoYeS

Officially they are listed as the same height. His size advantage will be completely gone although he will still have a reach advantage. Man this is such a great fight. RDA is in his absolute prime right now and is looking like one of the scariest LW's ever. McGregor has balls of steel jumping up to lightweight and getting in there with him in his first fight in the division. Who's to say Mcgregor won't just KO him like he has done everyone else though? RDA should in theory just throw him down to the mat and beat the ever loving shit out of him like he did to Pettis. However that's how most of Conor's fights should have gone and he's just come through every test with flying colours, blowing everyone's mind along the way. I'm done betting against Conor now, I just know I can't wait for this fight. It really is the famed 'superfight' that has so long been a debate in the UFC.
Definitely, I'm surprised they didn't save it for UFC 200, but I'm not sure New York will go ahead so Cormier Jones makes sense for that card.

RedRover

That's it for me - bigger man, stronger, generally difficult to see past him.

All depends how much he weight McGregor cuts as it stands. He never looks particularly drained as if he's naturally that much bigger.

RedRover

Definitely, I'm surprised they didn't save it for UFC 200, but I'm not sure New York will go ahead so Cormier Jones makes sense for that card.
Some suggestion that McGregor comes back down to fight Frankie Edgar at UFC 200.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
That's it for me - bigger man, stronger, generally difficult to see past him.

All depends how much he weight McGregor cuts as it stands. He never looks particularly drained as if he's naturally that much bigger.
He looked extremely drained for the Mendez fight. Not so much for the Aldo fight though.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Feel sorry for Edgar

Wonder if he will wait for UFC 200.....what if McGregor gets injured in the RDA fight? then he waits longer, or does he run the risk and take a fight against Aldo

Edgar will come out and say McGregor is dodging him, but Connor is taking a far bigger risk against RDA.

RedRover

He looked extremely drained for the Mendez fight. Not so much for the Aldo fight though.
Yeah - he looked better for Aldo. Perhaps he's naturally bigger than he looks.

Fair play to him. Its a big challenge - but then again, so was Aldo. He's clearly got faith in himself and its a big money fight for all concerned.

And if he loses, it's hardly going to ruin his reputation as long as he puts up a decent fight.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I must say I'm impressed. I thought Conor would not go for this fight as RDA is a scary motherfecker but the lads got a set of balls on him. I think Edgar deserves a title shot but no one can say that this fight doesn't excite the hell out of them.

This though shows that Conor has the UFC by the nuts and this is a dangerous thing for them. I don't think Conor is going for a seat between Dana's office and Lorenzo's office. I think he's gonna try move into Dana's office :lol:

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
He hired the nutritionist George Lockhart for the Aldo fight.
And it was only a few weeks before the fight. John Kavanagh said on the MMA Hour he wants him on his team for every fight now from the get go.

RDA is a scary dude, but I can't wait. Imagine, the first two weight UFC world champion being from Ireland! I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Poor Edgar though, guy deserves his shot. Would have been more fair if they made McGregor vacate the belt when he moved up and had Aldo v Edgar fight for it.

Can't see him beating Dos Anjos either.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Cant see past RDA here. If Conor wins though, it would cement his position as pound for pound best fighter.

Nucks

RT History Department
I feel like with the right mentality, smaller guys going up in weight has absolutely no downside, and for the bigger guy, there typically is no upside.

If RDA wins, he was supposed to win. For Connor, it seems like he is taking a risk, but really, who is going to hold it against him if he loses to a guy that really is, a lot, A LOT bigger than he is.

For Connor there is really no downside. He's going to make big money, if he wins, even more momentum in his career. If he loses, so what, he can go back down. RDA really only has a payday to look forward to, because if he wins, it's kind of "whatever", if he loses, it's going to look bad imo.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I feel like with the right mentality, smaller guys going up in weight has absolutely no downside, and for the bigger guy, there typically is no upside.

If RDA wins, he was supposed to win. For Connor, it seems like he is taking a risk, but really, who is going to hold it against him if he loses to a guy that really is, a lot, A LOT bigger than he is.

For Connor there is really no downside. He's going to make big money, if he wins, even more momentum in his career. If he loses, so what, he can go back down. RDA really only has a payday to look forward to, because if he wins, it's kind of "whatever", if he loses, it's going to look bad imo.
They are the same size.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Would have been more fair if they made McGregor vacate the belt when he moved up and had Aldo v Edgar fight for it.
That would have made sense as this way Connor gets his big pay day and numbers, Aldo gets the respect of a second shot at the title fire being undefeated champ for a decade and Edgar gets his shot that was promised to him.

But making sense isn't that bald cnut Dana's forte

KiD MoYeS

McGregor calls the shots.

His latest Facebook status:
1. Rolling Stone, thank you for putting me as one of your top 25 sex symbols of 2015! My Mother will be delighted and proud!

2. ESPN, FOX, BT Sports, MMA Fighting, Yahoo, MMA Junkie and Sherdog thank you all for awarding me fighter of the year 2015!
I appreciate all the hardworking media and their love and commitment to the sport is truly valued.

3. Fighters Only MMA Awards, thank you for the nominations for Fighter of the Year, KO of the Year, International Fighter of the year.
I will be in Las Vegas to attend the event and collect all my awards.

4. Floyd Mayweather, don't ever bring race into my success again. I am an Irishman. My people have been oppressed our entire existence. And still very much are. I understand the feeling of prejudice. It is a feeling that is deep in my blood.

In my family's long history of warfare there was a time where just having the name 'McGregor' was punishable by death.

Do not ever put me in a bracket like this again.

If you want we can organise a fight no problem.

I will give you a fair 80/20 split purse in my favour seen as your last fight bombed at every area of revenue.

At 27 years of age I now hold the key to this game.

The game answers to me now.

5. Media instigators/An Garda Siochana.
I apologise for having the air-soft in public. I was simply rehearsing for a potential upcoming film role.

I understand that the more traffic a story can get the more revenue it generates. So I understand and respect that the media must create these stories and these situations even if at times it is at other people's expense.
We've all got to eat. And I eat well.
So I will not complain.

6. My next fight.
What can I say, it's just another night of easy work for me.

I don't just own the game. I run it too.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That would have made sense as this way Connor gets his big pay day and numbers, Aldo gets the respect of a second shot at the title fire being undefeated champ for a decade and Edgar gets his shot that was promised to him.

But making sense isn't that bald cnut Dana's forte
I guess that's why McGregor was so firm about not giving up the belt, he probably knew that would be the sort of compromise the UFC would look for. Especially as Dana's initial position was that he'd have to vacate the belt. Guess McGregor won that argument.