The MMA thread

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He's bitter but he should've got a rematch. He may (probably would) have got sparked out again, but the least a former champion deserves is a rematch. Not like he was a paper champ, he was legit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's bitter but he should've got a rematch. He may (probably would) have got sparked out again, but the least a former champion deserves is a rematch. Not like he was a paper champ, he was legit.
I thought so as well at the time but the fact that Aldo has gone on to lose to Max Holloway has closed the book on any chance he will ever face Conor again. Nevermind that Conor won't be cutting down to 145.

Bubz27

I thought so as well at the time but the fact that Aldo has gone on to lose to Max Holloway has closed the book on any chance he will ever face Conor again. Nevermind that Conor won't be cutting down to 145.
Oh yeah, no chance of a rematch now and rightfully so. But at the time he should have. I think a lot of his bitterness stems from that.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
this one should be a good one.

Santiago with one week notice but he looked good in DWTNCS.

I would expect the dagestianian dude to be just like all the guys coming from there. Good wrestling.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Trying to catch up with the early fights. Seems a fun card so far. Darren Till looking good. Opponent leaking blood

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
There seem to be lots of fighters from the Caucasus area like Chechnya, Dagestan, Ingusheti and Georgia but very few (if any?) actually end up being great. Or am I wrong? I think Armenia has a few good MMA fighters.

George Owen

There seem to be lots of fighters from the Caucasus area like Chechnya, Dagestan, Ingusheti and Georgia but very few (if any?) actually end up being great. Or am I wrong? I think Armenia has a few good MMA fighters.
That's because (i think) they are quite generic in style and wrestling can only get you so far. Khabib being the exception, although he still has to face top top opposition.

Zabit Magomedsharipov looks like nothing from those places. He is an example of the new generation of Caucasus fighters. He can strike as well as wrestle.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I love how everyone is suddenly hyping up Volkov because he got a late KO on an exhausted Struve. We at the CAF will always support great champions like Struve.

George Owen

wtf! haha

At the beginning Brandao was biting the ear of the other dude!

then the other guy throw some headbutts...

Stupid from Brandao to leave... he might have gotten a NC. He lost by TKO (retirement)

Oggmonster

Looks like Honda's days in the UFC are done.

Jesus that's bad. I swear WWF promos when I watched with The Rock, Stone Cold etc weren't that awkward infact they were pretty good! That was hard to watch though.

Good luck to her she did a lot for women's MMA and the UFC as a brand as well so if she wants to branch out into the WWF then fair play to her. I'd imagine her acting stuff has fallen through given that she is an awful actress and her star power has probably fallen a lot. If Brock is anything to go by wrestling is a good pay check for not much work for people like her!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Just about to post this. Timing makes sense considering their cash cows (RR, McGregor & Bones) are not returning anytime soon.
Thing is, no one cares about Punk after he was humiliated last fight. I literally don't know of a single MMA fan who would look forward to this.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't see any reason to watch if he fights again, in fact, I would probably leave the room just for his fight and return for the next one.

Bubz27

I don't see any reason to watch if he fights again, in fact, I would probably leave the room just for his fight and return for the next one.
That could be a real quick walk.

Bubz27

It would also show how desperate the UFC are where they have to (re)import the likes of Punk to make themselves interesting again.
I just meant he'll get knocked out real quick.

Oggmonster

In fairness the CM Punk thing is odd.

I could understand it as a 1 off as there was legitimate interest from people and it had potential to do big numbers but a second fight? The guy is miles out his depth against any elite fighter (which is what fighters in the UFC should be) and if they bring someone in for him to fight just so he can get a win it's a bit weird. I get that the guy may have a following from WWF and it is money they don't want to lose but he's hardly bringing a massive audience to another company that would bankrupt the UFC, he added a few buys to an already good card.

Fair enough try him once as a bit of an attraction but the guy got paid half a million a fight whilst the UFC and their higher ups are publicly shitting on fighters who have done far more for the company, it is unfair. For criticisms of Bisping waiting to fight GSP or Conor going to boxing those are guys who have done a load for the company and I can appreciate they may deserve a reward back in terms of big money fights. CM Punk deserves nothing yet they are pandering to him cos he's a "name."

Where does it stop? Drake is a big name, Jennifer Aniston is a big name, Cristiano Ronaldo is a big name. Will they all be fighting soon?

The Bloody-Nine

What has Punk shown to warrant another fight in the UFC? There are career MMA guys who can't get a fight there, and this novice gets another go after being roundly humiliated already? Dana must be desperate.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The company just cares about money and ratings, punk will bring in both. Hardcore fans will watch because they'll put it on a card with other good fights and they'll also get all the wwe and the more casual fans for punk, it's the smart play for them. Not saying I agree, I think it's a disgrace but the UFC is a business at the end of the day.

@Mark_GrumpyLion someone commented into co-main as santi cazorla, my footballer names are catching on :lol:

I went in this week as troopz bludfam, was hilarious how they pronounced it :lol:

JP77

Is it really a disgrace though? I just don't get the complaints.

CM Punk having another fight isn't effecting 'career MMA' guys what so ever. Nothing changes whether Punk fights again or not in those terms.

The Bloody-Nine

Is it really a disgrace though? I just don't get the complaints.

CM Punk having another fight isn't effecting 'career MMA' guys what so ever. Nothing changes whether Punk fights again or not.
Of course it is. It's taking up a spot on the card that could be filled by an *actual* MMA fighter. Not a middle aged pro wrestler novice who already had his ass kicked in seconds.

JP77

Of course it is. It's taking up a spot on the card that could be filled by an *actual* MMA fighter. Not a middle aged pro wrestler novice who already had his ass kicked in seconds.
Which is absolute nonsense and even more so considering how over stacked the UFC are with events nowadays. CM Punk isn't taking anybodies spot, that's not how it works and it's actually a bizarre way to even look at it.

If anything, Punk fighting could bring some extra casual viewers to the product and even help put eyes on other talents on the card he fights on.

RedFish

What has Punk shown to warrant another fight in the UFC? There are career MMA guys who can't get a fight there, and this novice gets another go after being roundly humiliated already? Dana must be desperate.
He should fight McGregor in a boxing match
At least that would be more competitive than the recent Mayweather shenanigans.