The MMA thread

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The best part about last night's card was it was the card where the fighters with the biggest mouths lost and the "nice guys" won.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The best part about last night's cards was it was the card where the fighters with the biggest mouths lost and the "nice guys" won.
Joanna being bulldozed into submission by her "mentally weak" and "mentally unstable" opponent was a particular highlight. I generally appreciate the aggressive and intimidating presence she brings but even still, the bad guy has to lose at some point.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Joanna being bulldozed into submission by her "mentally weak" and "mentally unstable" opponent was a particular highlight. I generally appreciate the aggressive and intimidating presence she brings but even still, the bad guy has to lose at some point.
Agreed. And it just underscored the reality that fighters who begin to believe their own hype have difficulty keeping their belts. Joanna's behavior in the lead up was very similar to Rousey's behavior in her last few fights up to her loss to Holm. Both seemed convinced they could intimidate their opponents into submission in the lead ups to fights and both lost to fighters who were calm and generally uninterested in playing mind games.

cyberman

Just saw that Joanna tapped to punches. It looked a strange stoppage as if the ref was doubting himself

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Just saw that Joanna tapped to punches. It looked a strange stoppage as if the ref was doubting himself
I think he was in disbelief since she has historically been very good about recovering from bad situations. I've seen Rose fight a few times before and I don't recall her punches being that effective.

All of that said, I think Joanna is too good and will get an immediate rematch and take the belt right back.

cyberman

But still, even Rose turned round to make sure it was over. Normally they jump in to end all doubt but I couldn't have blamed Rose if she kept on with her GNP. Its like the ref was tapping from a submission.

Andersons Dietician

Not sure i’d Class Rose as the nice guy. She was a complete and utter a hole in the Tuf house, but then a lot of her team were and maybe she just wanted to join in.

Nucks

RT History Department
She tapped to strikes, but the ref had already tapped Rose to tell her it was over.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
So Joanna won't be called Joanna Champion anymore the stupid cnut.

Glad Neck tat got finished, though I'm no fan of TJ either.

Main event was great. I think it's in GSP contact to take on bobby knuckles next.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The speed of Rose's left hook was incredible. Joanna had no idea what hit her.
Finish didn't come out of nowhere, Rose had been landing that left hand from the beginning. She had already rocked and floored her with it before the finish

Will be interesting to see how Joanna adjusts if they run it again

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Dana and Shelby now have a bit of a headache in terms of future fights.

The likes of Gadelha, Andrade, and Karolina are probably salivating now that Rose has the belt - but in fairness Joanna was such a dominant champ that she will almost surely get an immedite rematch, much as Conor did with Nate. That's the fight that most people would want to see at least.

justboy68

Honestly style wise Joanna might be the best matchup for Rose. Or Karolina rematch. I'm just not confident that Rose could handle the raw power and wrestling of the Brazilian girls the way Joanna could, as she is a little smaller and by no means big for the weight class.

Whereas with her explosive finishing ability, hand speed and Joanna's suspect chin you could see that rematch potentially going well for her again. I wouldn't count her out against anyone but there's definitely some tough fights waiting.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Honestly style wise Joanna might be the best matchup for Rose. Or Karolina rematch. I'm just not confident that Rose could handle the raw power and wrestling of the Brazilian girls the way Joanna could, as she is a little smaller and by no means big for the weight class.

Whereas with her explosive finishing ability, hand speed and Joanna's suspect chin you could see that rematch potentially going well for her again. I wouldn't count her out against anyone but there's definitely some tough fights waiting.
Well Gadhela is sort of out of the question since she is coming off a loss to Andrade. I think Jessica could beat Rose since she is a pretty vicious striker herself and probably hits even harder. That said, Joanna seems the most logical of all the fights. This entire thing has a Conor v Nate vibe to it. One fighter somewhat unexpectedly wins, then the other fighter makes the necessary adjustments and comes back to win the 2nd fight.

This is actually the best thing that could've happened to the division, otherwise Joanna would've fecked off to 125

TheReligion

Abusive
GSP - Bisping could have gone either way. I think GSP was absolutely shattered and arguably on the backfoot when he pulled that out of the bag. Wouldn't mind seeing them go at it again as could see Bisping winning.

JP77

This kinda shit needs to stop, sick of everyone trying to be Connor/Koschek/Chael
Just leave that heel promo type stuff to the guys who can do it.
The sport needs character like that just like a lot of other sports do. I get the complaint when it's being done by people who are shit at it or massively faking it but the majority of it with Joanna is just who she is and her personality coming through. It'll make some love her and some hate her, people will tune in to see her dominate or get knocked out and that's very good for that division.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
The sport needs character like that just like a lot of other sports do. I get the complaint when it's being done by people who are shit at it or massively faking it but the majority of it with Joanna is just who she is and her personality coming through. It'll make some love her and some hate her, people will tune in to see her dominate or get knocked out and that's very good for that division.
Exactly. People are celebrating the fact that the talkers lost at 217, while also saying that they're sick of people trying to smack talk. They don't realise that the two things are linked.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I'm a big fan of Joanna and skill wise I still think she's the best striker in WMMA but her chin is a worry. She's been fighting for a long time and has been in a lot of wars.

If there's a rematch she'll come back and beat Rose though imo. That loss is probably the wake up call she needed, got way too comfortable as champion.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Exactly. People are celebrating the fact that the talkers lost at 217, while also saying that they're sick of people trying to smack talk. They don't realise that the two things are linked.
I'm one of those celebrating. It really needs to be curtailed imo since a vast majority of it is fake.

JP77

:lol: Here we again....Knocked out for the first time in her career ... "She's got a suspect chin".
It's a strange claim, she's fought heavy hitters and taken plenty of punishment from them and still defeated them. No way she has a suspect chin just because she's been knocked down a few times.

A great fighter that simply got outfought on the night. The interesting part was that she tapped to the strikes, I can see a few future opponents bringing that up against her.

It will be very interesting to see how many of these women decide to step up to 125 when the division begins next month. Any of the top five would win the title there IMO. This loss for Joanna should help the Straweight division though, she was looking almost unstoppable at that weight and now it opens the division up a bit and shows she can be beaten.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm a big fan of Joanna and skill wise I still think she's the best striker in WMMA but her chin is a worry. She's been fighting for a long time and has been in a lot of wars.

If there's a rematch she'll come back and beat Rose though imo. That loss is probably the wake up call she needed, got way too comfortable as champion.
Agreed. She's far too comprehensive a fighter to allow that sort of thing to happen twice. And unlike Rousey imo, she is actually mentally tough enough to learn and adapt to what happened next time.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This kinda shit needs to stop, sick of everyone trying to be Connor/Koschek/Chael
Just leave that heel promo type stuff to the guys who can do it.
Tbf with Joanna she generally comes across less as someone who is trying a bit of promo (like Bisping clearly was with his trash talk, for example) and more as someone who is genuinely trying to intimidate her opponent.

shabz

Joanna's post fight press conference is how you want someone to react. She is a class fighter and one of the best technical fighters out there. Will be interesting to see how she come backs. Rose has overcome a lot it seems and deserves everything coming her way, its one of those fights where everything came together and she didn't let it slip. I think an immediate rematch should be avoided though.

justboy68

Joanna's been knocked down numerous times in her recent fights in ways that you just don't normally see in that division. I'm struggling to think of a single other instance of one big fight ending punch at that weight class in the UFC and it certainly hasn't happened to any of the other top contenders. I'm a big fan of her fighting style, but I guarantee you everyone in that division considers Joanna's chin one of her biggest potential weaknesses.

Andersons Dietician

Forget Just woman’s MMA, she is arguably one of the best strikers in MMA period. Technique, footwork, combos
(only thing I’d say she maybe lacks is power, but I think that’s a conscious decision as she has hand problems) there aren’t many better. Off the top of my head, i’d Probably say wonderboy is the best but I’m sure there is someone I’ve forgotten.

JP77

Joanna's been knocked down numerous times in her recent fights in ways that you just don't normally see in that division. I'm struggling to think of a single other instance of one big fight ending punch at that weight class in the UFC and it certainly hasn't happened to any of the other top contenders. I'm a big fan of her fighting style, but I guarantee you everyone in that division considers Joanna's chin one of her biggest potential weaknesses.
Where are you getting that from? You may have a better memory than me so feel free to correct me but I don't remember her getting knocked down numerous times in her recent fights? (Forgetting the Rose one this is)

Joanna has taken on the four best by a distance in this division in her last four fights. Andrade hits like a fecking tank yet couldn't put her down, in fact Joanna dominated that fight. She got tagged numerous times by one of the best strikers in the division in Karolina and managed to withstand it and end up winning the fight only losing one round on the score cards. Gadelha has real power in the division and Joanna took the best she had to offer. Rose is the only one that has pulled it off.

Nobody can seriously sit there and try to tell me she has a suspect chin or fighters think that (maybe their attitudes have changed now they've seen her defeated, but prior to Saturday night). Joanna went to war with three of the best strikers in the division in Karolina, Andrade and Gadelha. She took plenty of damage and hits in at least two of those fights. If she had a suspect chin or it was her weakness, no chance she has fights like those and dominates late rounds like she did. It's just a very strange claim and only suddenly being spoke about after ONE loss. A lot of fighters would love to be able to withstand some of the hits she has and still perform how she has.

RedFish

Forget Just woman’s MMA, she is arguably one of the best strikers in MMA period. Technique, footwork, combos
(only thing I’d say she maybe lacks is power, but I think that’s a conscious decision as she has hand problems) there aren’t many better. Off the top of my head, i’d Probably say wonderboy is the best but I’m sure there is someone I’ve forgotten.
Valentina.

I think JJ underestimated Rose. She'll be back.

Andersons Dietician

Valentina.

I think JJ underestimated Rose. She'll be back.
Actually thats a great shout, because she is exceptional as well. Weirdly she I saw did some of he last camp with Rose. Might have been in the build up before what’s her face pulled out with the flu.

I think you’re right about underestimating her, truth is anyone can knock anyone out takes just one shot on the buzzer and she got caught in quite unlike her. Rose is just one of those people who you don’t really know who is going to show up. I think in a rematch Joanna takes her. I actually think any of the other top 3 Take Rose. Heck I wonder if Dana’s golden girl her from Alpha male who has had like 4 fights this year. Carvalia I think. Wouldn’t surprise me if she got a title shot and won.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

Where are you getting that from? You may have a better memory than me so feel free to correct me but I don't remember her getting knocked down numerous times in her recent fights? (Forgetting the Rose one this is)

Joanna has taken on the four best by a distance in this division in her last four fights. Andrade hits like a fecking tank yet couldn't put her down, in fact Joanna dominated that fight. She got tagged numerous times by one of the best strikers in the division in Karolina and managed to withstand it and end up winning the fight only losing one round on the score cards. Gadelha has real power in the division and Joanna took the best she had to offer. Rose is the only one that has pulled it off.

Nobody can seriously sit there and try to tell me she has a suspect chin or fighters think that (maybe their attitudes have changed now they've seen her defeated, but prior to Saturday night). Joanna went to war with three of the best strikers in the division in Karolina, Andrade and Gadelha. She took plenty of damage and hits in at least two of those fights. If she had a suspect chin or it was her weakness, no chance she has fights like those and dominates late rounds like she did. It's just a very strange claim and only suddenly being spoke about after ONE loss. A lot of fighters would love to be able to withstand some of the hits she has and still perform how she has.
I don’t think she has been knocked down as such as the last one I can remeber is her first fight with Claudia but I would say she has for sure been hurt in recent fights. Karolina I’m sure rang her buzzer and I think Claudia did again. Can’t remember Andrade doing it. She’s been hurt not dropped unless there is something I’m forgetting.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Joanna was pretty dominant against Karolina and Andrade. Claudia Gadelha however did give her significant problems, infact Claudia won rounds 1 and 2 among all three judges. Ultimately its all down to focus and execution. Joanna is still the best and will reclaim her belt during the rematch.

justboy68

I remember Andrade saying that she thought that would be her key to victory. Joanna is so good though that she can outclass her opponents (up till now) and not give them too much of a chance, but there are definitely fair questions there. It's a testament to her skill that she was able to neutralise Andrade so well, she barely landed anything on her the whole fight. Maybe suspect chin is not the right word but contenders will always feel they have that chance of landing something, even if they are outmatched like Karolina. Looking back at that clip, she may easily have been finished with better follow up, despite dominating the fight.

Now this would be normal place in Mens mma or women's 135 of course, but you just never really see it happening at 115 to the other top fighters. It usually takes long flurries or something extreme like a headkick. Joanna dropping Claudia with an uppercut in their first fight is the only other similar knockdown that comes to mind at the top end of 115.

I absolutely would not be surprised to see her reclaim the belt, she is an awesome fighter. But by the same token I could see her being stopped again too, especially now that people will swing for the fences against her. Excited to see how she bounces back.

Last edited:

JP77

Neither of those are examples to back up the argument that she has a suspect chin though (in regards to the original claim, not yours so much). She got caught on both, arguably lost her footing in the second and quickly recovered. People with suspect chins don't get caught with shots, recover and then dominate. Suspect chins get knocked out. Some of the top fighters may feel they can catch her with shots, but that doesn't make her chin a weakness. If it was a real weakness then she'd have been stopped prior to the Rose fight considering she fought three very good to high level strikers.

justboy68

Neither of those are examples to back up the argument that she has a suspect chin though (in regards to the original claim, not yours so much). She got caught on both, arguably lost her footing in the second and quickly recovered. People with suspect chins don't get caught with shots, recover and then dominate. Suspect chins get knocked out. Some of the top fighters may feel they can catch her with shots, but that doesn't make her chin a weakness. If it was a real weakness then she'd have been stopped prior to the Rose fight considering she fought three very good to high level strikers.
Yeah that's fair. I shouldn't have said suspect chin, but rather she is open to getting stunned or dropped, even when fights seem to be in her control completely. Regarding Rose, I'm just not sure how she fairs against someone like Andrade or Gadelha, it's a very different type of challenge. It seems to me now that she may match up stylistically against Joanna better. Although that is obviously much easier to say in hindsight; I originally thought she had a very slim chance. Looking forward to hopefully seeing the Andrade fight next.

Last edited: