The MMA thread

RedRevongge

The issue for Cody was that he wasn't defending himself. At the end he was hit ten times or more without answer so the ref was right to stop it.

I keep hearing how Cody is a high level striker but his defense is terrible. He seems really rash in just throwing strikes and ends up paying for it like he did vs TJ.

RedRevongge

Also how do people see the Khabib vs Conor match going?

I'm really in two minds. It seems Conor is always an underdog when it comes to his fights:

Mendes the wrestler will expose him
Aldo hasn't lost in ten years
Diaz is too big for him
Alvarez is a higher weight class and will be too strong

It seems people still think McGregor is overrated even after beating Poirier, Holloway, Mendes, Also, Diaz and Alvarez.

Even with those amazing victories I'm not sure as Khabib is being promoted as a genuine killer.

There are so many interesting factors to come into play such as the difference of styles, how much has McGregor's striking improved after the Mayweather training? Is Khabib beatable? Will McGregor have ring rust?

I think one of the biggest factors will be to see if the mind games work vs Khabib. So far he has got into everyone's mind except Mayweather and Diaz

cyberman

I'm really in two minds. It seems Conor is always an underdog when it comes to his fights:

Diaz is too big for him

It seems people still think McGregor is overrated even after beating Poirier, Holloway, Mendes, Also, Diaz and Alvarez.

Even with those amazing victories I'm not sure as Khabib is being promoted as a genuine killer.

There are so many interesting factors to come into play such as the difference of styles, how much has McGregor's striking improved after the Mayweather training? Is Khabib beatable? Will McGregor have ring rust?

I think one of the biggest factors will be to see if the mind games work vs Khabib. So far he has got into everyone's mind except Mayweather and Diaz
I think Conor catches Khabib coming in to pressure him against the cage which will put doubt in Khabibs head and make him mistime his takedowns.
2nd round stoppage for Conor IMO.

Oggmonster

Funny thing about Cody being so annoyed at TJ leaving TAM is that I'm sure he left his old camp, ran by his family to join TAM in the first place... If I'm not mistaken?

Plus he just joined around the time TJ left. Not sure why he's so butt hurt about it.

Look at Chad Mendes, he was close friends with TJ and still is.
Didn't he train with his uncle or something at boxing only? And he still does I think in fairness. I imagine he must be half tempted to change camps but he can't now without looking stupid.

I don't know how annoyed he is and how much of it is the UFC making him play up to it a bit really. He seems a bit of an idiot who'd do what he is told. Equally I'm sure Faber is pretty pissed and that's his mentor so he's probably not to happy if he's not happy.

SteveTheRed

The issue for Cody was that he wasn't defending himself. At the end he was hit ten times or more without answer so the ref was right to stop it.

I keep hearing how Cody is a high level striker but his defense is terrible. He seems really rash in just throwing strikes and ends up paying for it like he did vs TJ.
Twice!

Cody is just too emotional in the fights with TJ, game plan goes out the window and he is trying to knock his head off. There was a part in the fight where he took about 3 identical shots all because he was winding up that right hand

Andersons Dietician

Diaz is too big for him

I think with Connors “touch of death” he pretty much has a chance in any fight he gets in to and Kahbib last couple of fights he has looked hittable. I am intrigued to see if Connors striking has improved further with all that boxing but I would imagine the last few months has been spent wrestling and jitsu. The times he has been down on his back Mendez did in a way control him for quite a while and Nate is just a very good Jits guy but Connor is suppposed to be quite decent on the ground we’ve just never seen it.

On the other hand, supposedly Kahbib can go toe to toe with DC, Cain and Luke and even beat them occasionally in training at wrestling. He’s on a completely different level from the likes of Chad. Stories of him destroying Olympic caliber wrestlers or whatever it is America class as like supreme wrestlers in college.
Kahbib did shut down Barboza who is one of if not the best/most dangerous striker in that division so whatever happens it’s going to be intriguing.
Another thing is if Kahbib gets him down and just wears on him how will Connors cardio hold up. Can’t wait for it, hopefully the entire card will be stacked.

SteveTheRed

Diaz is too big for him

I think Conor has a chance against anyone once he is inside their head. Khabib on the surface doesn't look like it will affect him but then I thought the same about Aldo (I suppose that's unfair as he just got caught). I still think McGregor is overrated, but that's probably because a large majority of fans think he is unstoppable and the greatest of all time...he's not either.

I think if Khabib can stick to a game plan and not get drawn into a scrap he should win.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think Conor has a chance against anyone once he is inside their head. Khabib on the surface doesn't look like it will affect him but then I thought the same about Aldo (I suppose that's unfair as he just got caught). I still think McGregor is overrated, but that's probably because a large majority of fans think he is unstoppable and the greatest of all time...he's not either.

I think if Khabib can stick to a game plan and not get drawn into a scrap he should win.
Conor and Khabib are both somewhat overrated since they are a bit one dimensional. One is a very good stand up striker and the other is a world class grapler and both lack quality in the areas other than where they specialize.

For example - if Khabib takes Conor down I can't see him getting back up because of Khabib's suffocating style once he get an opponent down. And on the other side, once Conor starts connecting I can't see Khabib being able to endure much of that either. So to compensate, I'm guess both will focus heavily on their own weak areas to offset the strength of the other once they do actually fight.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I was so surprised by Cody in both fights against TJ. The only time i had seen Cody before, was against Cruz, and Cruz couldn't hit him, he dodged everything.
TJ hit pretty much every shot against him, and i think the reason is that Cody can't control his anger and the hate he's built against TJ, so he can't focus on what he's good at.
I loved to see Cody lose, but i'd really like the fight to last longer.

I am not sure Conor's cardio is good enough, if Khabib gets him down, and rides him for a little while.
I really, really, hope Conor loses, then the post match presser will be much more fun :)

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I was so surprised by Cody in both fights against TJ. The only time i had seen Cody before, was against Cruz, and Cruz couldn't hit him, he dodged everything.
TJ hit pretty much every shot against him, and i think the reason is that Cody can't control his anger and the hate he's built against TJ, so he can't focus on what he's good at.

I am not sure Conor's cardio is good enough, if Khabib gets him down, and rides him for a little while.
I really, really, hope Conor loses, then the post match presser will be much more fun :)
Cody's biggest problem is he thought he could knock TJ out and in the process let his own guard down and got TKO'd

SteveTheRed

Too his credit, he is actually quite humble when he has lost. I really wanted him to throw his toys out the pram against Diaz but he handled it well.

Grylte

Too his credit, he is actually quite humble when he has lost. I really wanted him to throw his toys out the pram against Diaz but he handled it well.
Yeah, i have noticed, and i find it ridicolous.
Should be able to be humble before the fights too, i just don't like his antics, it's why i always hope he'll lose.

Oggmonster

Yeah, i have noticed, and i find it ridicolous.
Should be able to be humble before the fights too, i just don't like his antics, it's why i always hope he'll lose.
Equally it's what's helped him get so much exposure. He's obviously a hugely talented fighter but if he was always humble like Mighty Mouse for example I doubt he'd be as big of a name as he is. You can't really blame him for it like it or not, it's made him an absolute fortune.

I think he'll beat Khabib...no logic behind it at all just any time I have predicted his fights I always say he'll struggle and he ends up winning easily.

Name Changed

weso26

Diaz is too big for him

Everything starts on the feet so Conor has a great chance. Khabib has been badly rocked before and won but it's different if you're rocked by Conor.

On the other hand, Khabis's wrestling is outstanding. Conor was easily taken and kept down by Mendes. He's not getting up if Khabib takes him down.

If I had to put money on it I think Khabib will take him down in the first and maul him, ultimately submitting him.

Name Changed

weso26
He's humble when he wins or loses. He always treats his opponent with respect after the fight.

The other shite beforehand is simply mind games and/or an attempt to hype up the fights.

Oggmonster

Everything starts on the feet so Conor has a great chance. Khabib has been badly rocked before and won but it's different if you're rocked by Conor.

On the other hand, Khabis's wrestling is outstanding. Conor was easily taken and kept down by Mendes. He's not getting up if Khabib takes him down.

If I had to put money on it I think Khabib will take him down in the first and maul him, ultimately submitting him.
Has he? I'm struggling to think of any time he has in all honesty!

Grylte

Equally it's what's helped him get so much exposure. He's obviously a hugely talented fighter but if he was always humble like Mighty Mouse for example I doubt he'd be as big of a name as he is. You can't really blame him for it like it or not, it's made him an absolute fortune.

I think he'll beat Khabib...no logic behind it at all just any time I have predicted his fights I always say he'll struggle and he ends up winning easily.
He definitely has helped himself getting rich, but i think it's been ruining the sport.
All the big names are now chasing big money fights.
I'd rather see fighters fight their way up, and getting deserved title fights, instead of the silly amount of rematches and big money fights.

The Bloody-Nine

He definitely has helped himself getting rich, but i think it's been ruining the sport.
I'd rather see fighters fight their way up, and getting deserved title fights, instead of the silly amount of rematches and big money fights.
The UFC is a business and the big money fights are big money for a reason. But I understand where you're coming from.

Grylte

The UFC is a business and the big money fights are big money for a reason. But I understand where you're coming from.
It's a sport. I mean, if UFC had been arranging the WC (football), i'm sure they'd find a way to get Italy and Holland in, cause they are historically much bigger names than many of the teams that were in. They'd also bring more fans than for example Iceland.

And Conor is a cnut. :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's a sport. I mean, if UFC had been arranging the WC (football), i'm sure they'd find a way to get Italy and Holland in, cause they are historically much bigger names than many of the teams that were in. They'd also bring more fans than for example Iceland.

And Conor is a cnut. :lol:
The UFC have severely mismanaged the way their fighters get paid which has forced them to pursue a lopsided business model where they are desperate for big fights (replete with hype merchant fighters who WWE antics to promote PPV buys).

RedRevongge

I think with Connors “touch of death” he pretty much has a chance in any fight he gets in to and Kahbib last couple of fights he has looked hittable. I am intrigued to see if Connors striking has improved further with all that boxing but I would imagine the last few months has been spent wrestling and jitsu. The times he has been down on his back Mendez did in a way control him for quite a while and Nate is just a very good Jits guy but Connor is suppposed to be quite decent on the ground we’ve just never seen it.

On the other hand, supposedly Kahbib can go toe to toe with DC, Cain and Luke and even beat them occasionally in training at wrestling. He’s on a completely different level from the likes of Chad. Stories of him destroying Olympic caliber wrestlers or whatever it is America class as like supreme wrestlers in college.
Kahbib did shut down Barboza who is one of if not the best/most dangerous striker in that division so whatever happens it’s going to be intriguing.
Another thing is if Kahbib gets him down and just wears on him how will Connors cardio hold up. Can’t wait for it, hopefully the entire card will be stacked.
I feel like the "touch of death" is not really Conor's best arsenal. Everyone makes it sound like it is his power which really stands out but when you listen to Conor himself he says "Precision beats power and timing beats speed"

Even when you listen to Nate and Eddie in their interviews after the fight they both agree he hits hard but it was more about the timing and accuracy. I think this is where Conor has an advantage over others. Even if he is not the hardest hitter in the division, one thing for sure is that he will land a lot more punches than anyone else. A lot of his knockouts come from counter punching as well. As the saying goes its the "punches you don't see coming that hurt the most"

I remember an interesting thing John Kavanagh said on the Helwani podcast after the Alvarez fight. Helwani was asking if he was surprised Alvarez didn't wrestle more and Kavanagh said it is more difficult to see the opportunities due to McGregor's wide stance. I wonder if this will be a factor in the fight as Khabib faces a striker with a different stance and different movement than the others he has faced?

Oggmonster

Maybe he hasn’t helped it but that’s the UFCs fault as well, if they paid their fighters properly then they wouldn’t constantly chase money fights and jump up weights etc.

Was it Johnson that had him badly rocked about 3 fights ago ? Thought Johnson should have finished him in the first.
I think he hit him but I always thought tha was slightly over rated and not helped by Rogans commentary. It was a good punch but I think it’s always remembered as better than it actually was

cyberman

If you think about it..there actually hasn't been that many money fights.
I mean, is the best wanting to fight the best a bad thing now?

Dominos

Was it Johnson that had him badly rocked about 3 fights ago ? Thought Johnson should have finished him in the first.
If you watched that with the sound off you wouldn't even know he'd been hit.

Rogan's commentary legit fooled everyone, he was barely rocked, he wasn't wobbly in the slightest and he blocked all the follow up punches, then he took him down and beat him to a pulp.

Crashoutcassius

Khabib in the mourinho of fighters. Barely scraped by in his last fight but can beat anyone and has that mentality where he is stronger vs stronger opponents. Conor is bit of an anomaly and can knock anyone out. Might not live up to the hype as a spectacle but in terms of intrigue I think it will.

RedFish

If you think about it..there actually hasn't been that many money fights.
I mean, is the best wanting to fight the best a bad thing now?
Are you talking about DJ v Dillashaw? I've no problem with that but DJ would be heavy underdog IMO. Just rewatched the Cruz- DJ fight from years back and DJ looked tiny against Dominic who basically out muscled him by taking him to the ground in what turned out to be a comfortable win. If size and strength wasn't such a fact I'd have more interest in seeing the fight (Better TJ move down than MM move up).

Edit: ignoring fact the contest is now redundant now Cejudo won, of course.

Last edited:

justboy68

I honestly think TJ is the most complete MMA fighter I've seen. Maybe we havent seen his ground game too much, but his striking and wrestling are both phenomenal, plus he has a great work ethic and mentality for fighting. I also believe the Cruz decision was BS.

justboy68

Khabib in the mourinho of fighters. Barely scraped by in his last fight but can beat anyone and has that mentality where he is stronger vs stronger opponents. Conor is bit of an anomaly and can knock anyone out. Might not live up to the hype as a spectacle but in terms of intrigue I think it will.
He only 'barely scraped by' by his own standards. By anyone else's standards he was ridiculously dominant. 90 more strikes landed and 6-0 in takedowns.

Oggmonster

Barely scraped by? It was one of the most 1 sided fights ever. He won on the scorecards 50-44, 50-43, 50-43. The opposite of barely scraping by that.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I honestly think TJ is the most complete MMA fighter I've seen. Maybe we havent seen his ground game too much, but his striking and wrestling are both phenomenal, plus he has a great work ethic and mentality for fighting. I also believe the Cruz decision was BS.
Nah, it was one of those that could have gone either way. Not a robbery by any stretch.

RedFish

Barely scraped by? It was one of the most 1 sided fights ever. He won on the scorecards 50-44, 50-43, 50-43. The opposite of barely scraping by that.
I think he probably meant it was less impressive than let's say his previous fight against Barboza where he just brutalised him on the ground in his own inimitable style.

JP77

Really wish they'd make Cruz/TJ 2. I get that Cruz is coming off of a loss and injury but that's the best fight in the division now 100% and has a great backstory. Cruz beat TJ which is why I'm surprised TJ is going out of his way to say Cruz doesn't deserve a shot, instead he should be wanting to avenge that loss and prove he's the best in the division.

Cruz fighting by the end of the year he says. Just hope he can stay healthy and eventually get his title shot.

Oggmonster

I think he probably meant it was less impressive than let's say his previous fight against Barboza where he just brutalised him on the ground in his own inimitable style.
True and fair comments yeah. In Khabib's defence though it was his 3rd scheduled opponent in a week so it would of been a bit hard to prep and look great and he still dominated the fight.

justboy68

Really wish they'd make Cruz/TJ 2. I get that Cruz is coming off of a loss and injury but that's the best fight in the division now 100% and has a great backstory. Cruz beat TJ which is why I'm surprised TJ is going out of his way to say Cruz doesn't deserve a shot, instead he should be wanting to avenge that loss and prove he's the best in the division.

Cruz fighting by the end of the year he says. Just hope he can stay healthy and eventually get his title shot.
Cruz should fight Assencao imo. He's a top contender too and they've never fought each other before. In the meantime Dillashaw fight Moraes, because that's also a fresh matchup and he just came off that KO of Rivera.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

TJ doesnt want to fight Cruz because he is pissed that Cruz didnt give him an instant rematch.