The MMA thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I reckon it's more cos however much people admit to hate it he generates interest. Its been said if he lost his last fight he'd fade into obscurity etc but that's not happened.

I mean reading that quote he didn't even call out Usman. DC said it?

If he'll never fight them and people know it why do people who "want him to disappear" etc constantly bring him up? It's odd...just don't talk about the guy it's not that hard.
Nah, Connor tweeted that he'll come back and fight for the 170 belt and be triple champion easily. Then 30% Usman said "who"?

As for the rest, as I said at the time, the leg break must have hurt physically but it kept the McGregor brand going. He'll just chalk that loss off to the break and be able to sell another big fight.

Oggmonster

Nah, Connor tweeted that he'll come back and fight for the 170 belt and be triple champion easily. Then 30% Usman said "who"?

As for the rest, as I said at the time, the leg break must have hurt physically but it kept the McGregor brand going. He'll just chalk that loss off to the break and be able to sell another big fight.
Fair enough I don't pay much attention to him on anything. In fact I only ever read about him here! But the point stands. If the thread isn't arsed about him and know it won't happen it's odd to discuss it. My theory stands that people do have an interest him. Even if it's getting his head kicked in and therefore he's getting the attention he wants.

I think he could get stopped in 20 seconds in his next fight and there will be interest still. He got dominated by Khabib, stopped legitimately by Poirier and then the leg break and there was interest every time. He's the biggest name in the sport and he will continue to be so til he retires I reckon cos he generates more conversation than anyone else. It's probably a big worry for the UFC over anything cos there isn't really many big names left after him and realistically he doesn't have that many fights left I'd guess.

RedFish

I reckon it's more cos however much people admit to hate it he generates interest. Its been said if he lost his last fight he'd fade into obscurity etc but that's not happened.

I mean reading that quote he didn't even call out Usman. DC said it?

If he'll never fight them and people know it why do people who "want him to disappear" etc constantly bring him up? It's odd...just don't talk about the guy it's not that hard.
You just did! I agree 100% btw. Zero interest.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Usman is the best/most rounded fighter in the UFC today IMO. He would absolutely rag doll Conor. Awful fight for him :lol:
correct, I’d be surprised if the Nevada commission would even sanction that fight:lol:

Usman is cementing his legacy right now in his division. The Colby fight will hopefully be another banger like the first one. Could be Usman’s fifth title defense putting him in an illustrious list historically for the 170 division.

Oggmonster

You just did! I agree 100% btw. Zero interest.
Hahaha yeah I was thinking when writing about him it's a bit hypocritical. I don't really mind discussing him to be honest but this thread gets dead worked up about McGregor and posts about him all the time when he prob won't be fighting for at least a year!!

Oldyella

Hahaha yeah I was thinking when writing about him it's a bit hypocritical. I don't really mind discussing him to be honest but this thread gets dead worked up about McGregor and posts about him all the time when he prob won't be fighting for at least a year!!
No interest in him, only really read about him hear now. Looking at it the other way, what's DC on? This fight would never happen, why even talk about it

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yeah exactly. Welterweight is stacked so fight someone in that division. Also weird the comment that Ali would "let McGregor fight for the belt" he doesn't have any sway.

For a thread that is so adamant McGregor is shite and yesterday's news etc he doesn't half get mentioned a lot!!
He cleared out that division though so why wouldn’t he fight someone whom he despises, someone whom will generate a lot of buzz and which on top of that is an easy pay pay day?

cyberman

He cleared out that division though so why wouldn’t he fight someone whom he despises, someone whom will generate a lot of buzz and which on top of that is an easy pay pay day?
Why does he despise Conor?

Oggmonster

If we're really entertaining the thought.

The top 4 is as follows
Covington - Was a close fight, defintely worth running back
Burns - Beat recently
Luque - Won 4 in a row, they've never fought
Edwards - Not lost since fighting Usman 6 years ago. Surely worth running back? Or do you just never get another shot again?

Does he really despise him? Have they ever even met? They've never fought on the same card and don't have the same management so stopping short of press conferences, one speaking to the other at one of their fights or social circles then they probably haven't. It's just a potentially big fight for him, no need to make excuses and say it's personal cos it's probably not.

Fighters should stick to their own weight class. If McGregor was LW champion and called out someone like Frankie Edgar to move up instead of fighting someone in his own division and said he doesn't like him I 100% guarentee people would slate him for it (rightfully so.)

Should Izzy, Blachowicz and Ngannou get a shot at McGregor to if they say they despise him and get an easy pay day?

cyberman

Well despise might be too strong of a word but there is certainly no love lost.
I dunno, I’ve never seen anything that indicates dislike.
If Usman cleared out his division then move up or fight a legit 155er who isn’t an alcoholic coke head. It’s a dodgy enough fallout if Conor was on a win streak but he’s a shadow of what he was.
Masvidal gets an unwarranted title shot, Colby gets another after sitting out a year and he wants Conor after that?
The division is a mess

Oggmonster

If Usman cleared out his division then move up or fight a legit 155er who isn’t an alcoholic coke head. It’s a dodgy enough fallout if Conor was on a win streak but he’s a shadow of what he was.
Masvidal gets an unwarranted title shot, Colby gets another after sitting out a year and he wants Conor after that?
The division is a mess
To be fair to Usman he's only fought what is available for the large part.

Covington was Number 1 contender
Masvidal 1 was a last minute replacement fight
Burns was number 1 contender
Masvidal 2 was a ridiculously quick turnaround and hasn't really held up the division.

I assume he fights Covington next which isn't a bad fight really as the last one was close and they are clear Number 1 and 2. After that it would probably be Edwards or Luque if they carry on the way they are. If he took 6 months off then did Masvidal 2 then another 6 months off I'd agree it was a joke but that fight hasn't really slowed anything down due to the quick turnaround.

Paxi

If we're really entertaining the thought.

The top 4 is as follows
Covington - Was a close fight, defintely worth running back
Burns - Beat recently
Luque - Won 4 in a row, they've never fought
Edwards - Not lost since fighting Usman 6 years ago. Surely worth running back? Or do you just never get another shot again?

Does he really despise him? Have they ever even met? They've never fought on the same card and don't have the same management so stopping short of press conferences, one speaking to the other at one of their fights or social circles then they probably haven't. It's just a potentially big fight for him, no need to make excuses and say it's personal cos it's probably not.

Fighters should stick to their own weight class. If McGregor was LW champion and called out someone like Frankie Edgar to move up instead of fighting someone in his own division and said he doesn't like him I 100% guarentee people would slate him for it (rightfully so.)

Should Izzy, Blachowicz and Ngannou get a shot at McGregor to if they say they despise him and get an easy pay day?
A lot of fights are close in MMA, until they aren’t. He finished Colby the first time. He beat Edwards and he beat Woodley while he was the champ. Does he need to beat everyone twice in order for everyone to know that no one touches him at 170?

Fighters should absolutely stick to weight class but it’s Conor he seemingly does what he wants. I’d love to see this fight so I could see Usman rag doll him.

Oggmonster

A lot of fights are close in MMA, until they aren’t. He finished Colby the first time. He beat Edwards and he beat Woodley while he was the champ. Does he need to beat everyone twice in order for everyone to know that no one touches him at 170?

Fighters should absolutely stick to weight class but it’s Conor he seemingly does what he wants. I’d love to see this fight so I could see Usman rag doll him.
"A lot of fights are close until they aren't" is a daft argument when a fight is scored (by the majority) 2-2 going in to the final round. It was a close fight and an intriguing fight as well.

I don't get the Woodley point cos no one mentioned him, he beat Woodley to become champion, so if he didn't fight Woodley we wouldn't be having this conversation.

He beat Edwards 6 years ago. Surely enough time has passed for Edwards to deserve a rematch? OR does he never get one again? By your logic GSP would of never been champion cos he wouldn't of been allowed to rematch Matt Hughes. Fighters lose they go and improve themselves and come back and if someone they lost to is champion that doesn't exclude them from getting that title shot surely. No he doesn't have to beat everyone twice but the Edwards fight was only Usman's 2nd in the UFC and Edward's 4th. Surely anyone can see they have both improved since then and it would be an interesting fight?

Funny you chose to ignore the Luque answer as for clearing out the division as well....i.e. the one he hasn't fought who is on a win streak and has a good argument for a title shot. Strange that.

"It's Conor he does what he wants" your not really making the argument for him though. You're making the argument for Usman to get that fight. So you're either annoyed at Conor for doing it in the past or if it's acceptable for Usman then it's acceptable for him to do it as well?

If people want these mad fights then fair enough but don't pretend to be outraged when fighters you don't like want them as well. As I said I bet you wouldn't think it was fine if McGregor was LW champion and called out someone like Frankie Edgar who was 1-3.

Paxi

"A lot of fights are close until they aren't" is a daft argument when a fight is scored (by the majority) 2-2 going in to the final round. It was a close fight and an intriguing fight as well.

I don't get the Woodley point cos no one mentioned him, he beat Woodley to become champion, so if he didn't fight Woodley we wouldn't be having this conversation.

He beat Edwards 6 years ago. Surely enough time has passed for Edwards to deserve a rematch? OR does he never get one again? By your logic GSP would of never been champion cos he wouldn't of been allowed to rematch Matt Hughes. Fighters lose they go and improve themselves and come back and if someone they lost to is champion that doesn't exclude them from getting that title shot surely. No he doesn't have to beat everyone twice but the Edwards fight was only Usman's 2nd in the UFC and Edward's 4th. Surely anyone can see they have both improved since then and it would be an interesting fight?

Funny you chose to ignore the Luque answer as for clearing out the division as well....i.e. the one he hasn't fought who is on a win streak and has a good argument for a title shot. Strange that.

"It's Conor he does what he wants" your not really making the argument for him though. You're making the argument for Usman to get that fight. So you're either annoyed at Conor for doing it in the past or if it's acceptable for Usman then it's acceptable for him to do it as well?

If people want these mad fights then fair enough but don't pretend to be outraged when fighters you don't like want them as well. As I said I bet you wouldn't think it was fine if McGregor was LW champion and called out someone like Frankie Edgar who was 1-3.
He broke Colbys jaw and finished him. You can look at it how you want but he’s into fighting guys twice now and I don’t begrudge him for wanting to fight Conor.

I also mentioned Woodley as he consistently fought the best in the division. Woodley was once the best. So, my point: he’s fought the best and he beat them all = he cleared out the division. Of course there will be more fighters that go on streaks and deserve shots for the belt.

The reason that I didn’t mention Luque is because after UFC 268 he’ll probably fight Luque anyway. Not that it would be particularly interesting. He’d beat him just as he did with everyone else he has fought, in my opinion.

As for Edwards, he didn’t look great vs Diaz so a match up against Usman is again - uninteresting. So yeah in my opinion, there is no one to fight at 170 really. You can try to come up with ‘intriguing’ match ups but there aren’t any really, not to me at least.

I want to see this fight because of Ali is Usman’s manager obviously. Khabib is in his corner too. I want this fight for entertainment purposes and yeah I’d love to see Conor get manhandled in the cage by someone much better than him too.

Oggmonster

He broke Colbys jaw and finished him. You can look at it how you want but he’s into fighting guys twice now and I don’t begrudge him for wanting to fight Conor.

I also mentioned Woodley as he consistently fought the best in the division. Woodley was once the best. So, my point: he’s fought the best and he beat them all = he cleared out the division. Of course there will be more fighters that go on streaks and deserve shots for the belt.

The reason that I didn’t mention Luque is because after UFC 268 he’ll probably fight Luque anyway. Not that it would be particularly interesting. He’d beat him just as he did with everyone else he has fought, in my opinion.

As for Edwards, he didn’t look great vs Diaz so a match up against Usman is again - uninteresting. So yeah in my opinion, there is no one to fight at 170 really. You can try to come up with ‘intriguing’ match ups but there aren’t any really, not to me at least.

I want to see this fight because of Ali is Usman’s manager obviously. Khabib is in his corner too. I want this fight for entertainment purposes and yeah I’d love to see Conor get manhandled in the cage by someone much better than him too.
I know what happened in the fight. Colby is far more worthy of a rematch than Conor is of getting that fight though.

He's not cleared out the division though really, again he's got the Luque fight, I don't see how a young Edwards 6 years ago means he cleared out the division. He's defended his title against 3 people (1 of which was a last minute replacement) surely there is more than 4 fighters in the division? Woodley who you use isn't even in the UFC anymore.

Without being rude, whilst you're entitled to an opinion and it's perfectly fair, the UFC match making isn't done on your opinion. Surely it's fair if someone like Edwards who has fought his way up the rankings and gets to a good spot deserves the fight over someone like McGregor who is 1-3 in his last 4 fights? And never fought anyone of any note in the division we're talking about.

So your reasons for wanting this fight are...Ali is his manager (random reason), Khabib might be in his corner, it creates a buzz, Usman gets a good pay day and Conor gets his head kicked in? Again, my original point was people in this thread constantly mention McGregor and favourable treatment etc yet then want others to get favourable treatment....and use McGregor for them to get it!

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Covington deserves a rematch given how close the first fight was. Beyond the "he broke his jaw" line, it was a very good fight that could result in Covington actually winning the sequel. There are no guarantees either way.

Luque and Edwards are also deserving of fights. So until he gets through these three, its hard to say he's cleaned anything out.

Paxi

I know what happened in the fight. Colby is far more worthy of a rematch than Conor is of getting that fight though.

He's not cleared out the division though really, again he's got the Luque fight, I don't see how a young Edwards 6 years ago means he cleared out the division. He's defended his title against 3 people (1 of which was a last minute replacement) surely there is more than 4 fighters in the division? Woodley who you use isn't even in the UFC anymore.

Without being rude, whilst you're entitled to an opinion and it's perfectly fair, the UFC match making isn't done on your opinion. Surely it's fair if someone like Edwards who has fought his way up the rankings and gets to a good spot deserves the fight over someone like McGregor who is 1-3 in his last 4 fights? And never fought anyone of any note in the division we're talking about.

So your reasons for wanting this fight are...Ali is his manager (random reason), Khabib might be in his corner, it creates a buzz, Usman gets a good pay day and Conor gets his head kicked in? Again, my original point was people in this thread constantly mention McGregor and favourable treatment etc yet then want others to get favourable treatment....and use McGregor for them to get it!
And Colby is getting it. Yeah, I never suggested I wanted this fight for sporting reasons. Just down to my preference in regards to Usman. You’re not being rude either — you didn’t say anything rude. I know it’s a game of opinions and that’s fine.

Paxi

Covington deserves a rematch given how close the first fight was. Beyond the "he broke his jaw" line, it was a very good fight that could result in Covington actually winning the sequel. There are no guarantees either way.

Luque and Edwards are also deserving of fights. So until he gets through these three, its hard to say he's cleaned anything out.
And after he beats those three they’ll be another fighter that’s deserving of a title fight. He a bit like Khabib whom gets the usual “it’s his biggest test” line before he inevitably makes short work of them. And on and on it goes.

Oggmonster

And Colby is getting it. Yeah, I never suggested I wanted this fight for sporting reasons. Just down to my preference in regards to Usman. You’re not being rude either — you didn’t say anything rude. I know it’s a game of opinions and that’s fine.
Fair play mate. Yeah exactly!

And after he beats those three they’ll be another fighter that’s deserving of a title fight. He a bit like Khabib whom gets the usual “it’s his biggest test” line before he inevitably makes short work of them. And on and on it goes.
I definitely can't see him losing to anyone at the moment either, I think he's improved since Colby and he'll beat him, Gilbert is like Burns who does deserve the fight but isn't on that level. I think Edwards is probably the most interesting one of the 3 but yeah I'd have Usman beating him.

There's always fighters round the corner etc but I do think his style and size makes him really hard to beat.

Paxi

Fair play mate. Yeah exactly!

I definitely can't see him losing to anyone at the moment either, I think he's improved since Colby and he'll beat him, Gilbert is like Burns who does deserve the fight but isn't on that level. I think Edwards is probably the most interesting one of the 3 but yeah I'd have Usman beating him.

There's always fighters round the corner etc but I do think his style and size makes him really hard to beat.
That’s why I think it’s a bit boring with him as the welterweight. He’s a level above and seemingly getting better. After Khabib left lightweight, the division opened up again, for me, in terms of intrigue. I like Usman but none of the matchups particularly interest me.

Oggmonster

That’s why I think it’s a bit boring with him as the welterweight. He’s a level above and seemingly getting better. After Khabib left lightweight, the division opened up again, for me, in terms of intrigue. I like Usman but none of the matchups particularly interest me.
I wouldn't mind seeing him move up to MW personally after a couple more defences. He's definitely big enough for it. Problem is he uses his size to a huge advantage and that'd be gone in the weight class up but I do reckon hed be a contender up there.

LazyRed-Ninja

The division is a mess
It's not necessarily Usman that despises Conor. Its mainly Ali and i dare to say Khabib's camp. Conor went very dark with his 'trash talk' during the UFC 229 press conference with Khabib. One of those things was mentioning Ali's past with the American authorities and going as far as mentioning the name of his son, who at that point was fairly good protected from the sport. Khabib tried to finish Conor with a neck crank, and a neck crank is done with the intent of a severe injury. In comparison to the guillotine on Gaethje, which was done with the intent not to seriously hurt him, because 1, he likes him and 2, his parents were there.

Since Usman is under management of Ali, i wouldnt say he personally has an issue with Conor, but more of a loyality factor towards Ali and his stable.

LazyRed-Ninja

The division is a mess
The biggest take away in any analysis is the way Leon Edwards is being threated. He had the longest winning streak, before that no contest fight with Belal. He is definitely deserving of a title fight. Those who followed the sport and not the casuals know there is a bit of history there as well, considering they already fought once in 2015, having lost by decision to Usman. Its not the first time it happens and not the last time. The UFC is a business and the PPV's generated from Usman vs Colby would be more then against Leon. The Masvidal bouts with Usman are another example of that.

USMAN: champion

1Colby Covington16-2Defeated Tyron WoodleyKamaru Usman (UFC 268)
2Gilbert Burns19-4Lost to Kamaru UsmanTBD
3Leon Edwards19-3, 1 NCDefeated Nate DiazTBD
4Vicente Luque21-7-1Defeated Michael ChiesaTBD
5Stephen Thompson16-4-1Defeated Geoff NealGilbert Burns (UFC 264)
6Jorge Masvidal35-15Lost to Kamaru UsmanTBD
7Michael Chiesa18–5Lost to Vicente LuqueTBD
8Neil Magny25-8Defeated Geoff NealTBD
9Belal Muhammad19-3, 1 NCDefeated Demian MaiaTBD

If we look at the rankings, we can see that if Usman beats Colby, he would have lapped the two opponents, who would from a commercial sense contribute to more PPV's,.

The most realistic option if that scenario happens, is a title defense against Leon Edwards. Burns has recently beaten Wonderboy, but i doubt that he would get a rematch before Leon get's his title shot.

You then have Luque who's on a 4 fight winning streak and he would from a 'deserving' point of view who would be the second in line for a title shot after Leon Edwards, unless he takes a fight in the proces of that, but i doubt he will accept a fight with the loser of the Usman vs Colby fight, or a fight with a lower ranked opponent. A possibility could be a potential Luque vs Burns fight for a title elimination fight, in the scenario that Leon Edwards would get the next title shot against the winner of Usman vs Colby.

'money fights', i dont really see those options anymore in the division for Usman. Talks of a Conor match up are highly unrealistic, considering his road to recovery and form.

Last edited:

Oggmonster

It's not necessarily Usman that despises Conor. Its mainly Ali and i dare to say Khabib's camp. Conor went very dark with his 'trash talk' during the UFC 229 press conference with Khabib. One of those things was mentioning Ali's past with the American authorities and going as far as mentioning the name of his son, who at that point was fairly good protected from the sport. Khabib tried to finish Conor with a neck crank, and a neck crank is done with the intent of a severe injury. In comparison to the guillotine on Gaethje, which was done with the intent not to seriously hurt him, because 1, he likes him and 2, his parents were there.

Since Usman is under management of Ali, i wouldnt say he personally has an issue with Conor, but more of a loyality factor towards Ali and his stable.

His mum and dad were there hahahah. The love in with Khabib is so funny at times.

Ladron de redcafe

Maybe so, but I'm not sure that would translate into dislike for Conor, even though I'm sure he has a low opinion of him given what he has seen and heard from Conor.

With Khabib and Dustin, it was more personal because he was denigrating their father and wife, respectively. That's why you saw relatively out-of-character aggressiveness and attempts to physically harm him. I'm not sure that applies to Usman, who most likely has a general dislike rather than pure antipathy towards Conor.

With regards to the possibility of an Usman-Conor fight, that's about as laughable a prospect as anything. Usman is a very large, shredded welterweight with one of the most complete styles in MMA. He has an advantage in literally every facet of fighting over Conor. It would be plain murder in the middle of the cage, rather than an MMA fight.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Maybe so, but I'm not sure that would translate into dislike for Conor, even though I'm sure he has a low opinion of him given what he has seen and heard from Conor.

With Khabib and Dustin, it was more personal because he was denigrating their father and wife, respectively. That's why you saw relatively out-of-character aggressiveness and attempts to physically harm him. I'm not sure that applies to Usman, who most likely has a general dislike rather than pure antipathy towards Conor.

With regards to the possibility of an Usman-Conor fight, that's about as laughable a prospect as anything. Usman is a very large, shredded welterweight with one of the most complete styles in MMA. He has an advantage in literally every facet of fighting over Conor. It would be plain murder in the middle of the cage, rather than an MMA fight.
Agree. Usman would take McGregor's soul I reckon.

It would be like that fight between Goro and that black dude in the first Mortal Kombat film.

LazyRed-Ninja

His mum and dad were there hahahah. The love in with Khabib is so funny at times.
From a helicopter view that might sound dramatic, but there is an essence of truth in it. During the whole week of the fight Justin repeatedly stated that he would fight until the end. Khabib did not want to break his arm, which was a real possibility when he went for the arm bar, that is why he transitioned to a triangle choke. Cormier actually spoke about this on ESPN with Helwani interview. He said:

"He told me when he was watching the interviews over the course of the week, he saw that Justin said he would never tap," Cormier said. "Justin would never tap. So when he was going to the submission, he said it was his dad's favorite position, into the mounted position going into the armbar, going into the triangle, he said it was his father's favorite submission. So when he got there, he was going to do the armbar. But he had heard Justin say all week that he would never tap and he didn't want to hurt him in front of his parents. So he went to the triangle and just kind of put him to sleep.''

I promise you. He actually told me that. Where he goes, 'I didn't want to hurt him in front of his parents, so I said I'm going to put him in the triangle. If he goes to sleep, he goes to sleep, you wake up, you're fine.' That's exactly what he told me. He didn't want to hurt Justin in front of his parents."

(end quote)

It reminds me of the Johnson fight. Khabib was viciously mauling Johnson and he was actually speaking to him while doing it, asking Johnson to tap or else he would severely injure himself. It may seem a paradox that Khabib's trademark mauling is done with a certain sense of empathy, but i actually believe that narrative. With Conor's neck crank tap out, there was a more vicious intent behind it. Such submissions are done with serious intent for damage. khabib actually spoke about this a few days ago:

"You saw what happened on October 6th. Remove Herb Dean and you will understand what would've happened. A person can die from a grip like that. If you want to, I can choke you behind the curtain and you'll see what would've happened," When a person strangles you and has been doing this for 30 years, this is a cold weapon. If there had been no referee, what would've happened? Herb Dean removed my hand, he removed my grip. We understand everything. We understand what could have been," added Khabib Nurmagomedov.

Basically his way of saying i could have killed you that night and you would not been able to do anything against it.

Didnt intend to make this a longer post. I agree that not wanting to hurt a fighter in front of somebody's parents can sound a bit dramatic, considering fighters do damage unto each other all the time in front of families all the time. However in this case, i genuinely believe that was the case.

LazyRed-Ninja

Yes, i agree. It's not even a quarter of the 'beef' that Ali and Khabib's camp have/had with Conor and vice versa. Usman's exchange on twitter towards Conor was a realistic description of what would happen in a real fight. A mauling.

The problem that many people had with Conor is that they actually believed that he was an all rounded martial artist with almost no deficiencies. At times logical, because most of his fights ended shortly. People rightfully give Nate Diaz the credit with being the first one to 'expose' weaknesses, mainly his decrease in endurance when the rounds go by. I'd actually argue that Mendes at UFC 189 was the first one to expose Conor's wrestling/grappling abilities. He at times took him down at will. Mendes had a short training camp for that fight and Conor came back from that knee injury. I believe this was the reason why Frankie Edgar was shelved during that period when he wanted to fight Conor. Khabib was the third who showcased that Conor is vulnerable on the ground and Poirier showcased that Conor's more flat footed style as a consequence of incorporating to much boxing, was/is detrimental for him if he doesnt manage to connect with his power shot in the first 1 round. With a record of 1-3 in the last 3 years in the UFC, he shouldnt even be mentioned by fighters, but as they say all publicity is good publicity when it comes to creating headlines for media traffic and intrest. Even with such a poor record, he would still sell out almost everywhere, because people are just tuning in to see the 'next controversy'. The UFC will more then likely milk him out and whenever he doesnt sell anymore, they will move on unto the next. Historically, thats what the UFC has done more often then npt.

Last edited:

Oggmonster

From a helicopter view that might sound dramatic, but there is an essence of truth in it. During the whole week of the fight Justin repeatedly stated that he would fight until the end. Khabib did not want to break his arm, which was a real possibility when he went for the arm bar, that is why he transitioned to a triangle choke. Cormier actually spoke about this on ESPN with Helwani interview. He said:

"He told me when he was watching the interviews over the course of the week, he saw that Justin said he would never tap," Cormier said. "Justin would never tap. So when he was going to the submission, he said it was his dad's favorite position, into the mounted position going into the armbar, going into the triangle, he said it was his father's favorite submission. So when he got there, he was going to do the armbar. But he had heard Justin say all week that he would never tap and he didn't want to hurt him in front of his parents. So he went to the triangle and just kind of put him to sleep.''

I promise you. He actually told me that. Where he goes, 'I didn't want to hurt him in front of his parents, so I said I'm going to put him in the triangle. If he goes to sleep, he goes to sleep, you wake up, you're fine.' That's exactly what he told me. He didn't want to hurt Justin in front of his parents."

(end quote)

It reminds me of the Johnson fight. Khabib was viciously mauling Johnson and he was actually speaking to him while doing it, asking Johnson to tap or else he would severely injure himself. It may seem a paradox that Khabib's trademark mauling is done with a certain sense of empathy, but i actually believe that narrative. With Conor's neck crank tap out, there was a more vicious intent behind it. Such submissions are done with serious intent for damage. khabib actually spoke about this a few days ago:

"You saw what happened on October 6th. Remove Herb Dean and you will understand what would've happened. A person can die from a grip like that. If you want to, I can choke you behind the curtain and you'll see what would've happened," When a person strangles you and has been doing this for 30 years, this is a cold weapon. If there had been no referee, what would've happened? Herb Dean removed my hand, he removed my grip. We understand everything. We understand what could have been," added Khabib Nurmagomedov.

Basically his way of saying i could have killed you that night and you would not been able to do anything against it.

Didnt intend to make this a longer post. I agree that not wanting to hurt a fighter in front of somebody's parents can sound a bit dramatic, considering fighters do damage unto each other all the time in front of families all the time. However in this case, i genuinely believe that was the case.
There's no proof to it other than what people like Cormiet (who talks an absolute load of shit most the time) etc say. I take it all with a grain of salt cos with Khabib it's all such OTT stories of him being a saint.

Not hurting someone cos their mum and Dad are there is honestly one of the most Khabib stories I've heard in the sense it's complete bollocks but everyone decides that it's true and there's no saying otherwise.

If people want to believe it fair enough, I just prefer to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.

LazyRed-Ninja

There's no proof to it other than what people like Cormiet (who talks an absolute load of shit most the time) etc say. I take it all with a grain of salt cos with Khabib it's all such OTT stories of him being a saint.

Not hurting someone cos their mum and Dad are there is honestly one of the most Khabib stories I've heard in the sense it's complete bollocks but everyone decides that it's true and there's no saying otherwise.

If people want to believe it fair enough, I just prefer to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.
Yes, it's a narrative and with any narrative once can chose to believe it or not.

With that being said (regardless of that narrive), that night was an iconic UFC history moment, with Khabib retiring during his prime and cementing his legacy as one of the all time greats (greatest 155'er) with a flawless undefeated record of 29-0.

That also came with the record of being the first submission loss in Gaethje's entire MMA career. I think if you would ask Khabib about his most satisfying fight, i think it would be the Conor tap out during yet another iconic moment in UFC history.

I do (and like the majority of the fans) think its a shame for the MMA books that we never had the chance to witness Khabib vs Tony, it was just never meant to happen.

Oggmonster

Yes, it's a narrative and with any narrative once can chose to believe it or not.

With that being said (regardless of that narrive), that night was an iconic UFC history moment, with Khabib retiring during his prime and cementing his legacy as one of the all time greats (greatest 155'er) with a flawless undefeated record of 29-0.

That also came with the record of being the first submission loss in Gaethje's entire MMA career. I think if you would ask Khabib about his most satisfying fight, i think it would be the Conor tap out during yet another iconic moment in UFC history.

I do (and like the majority of the fans) think its a shame for the MMA books that we never had the chance to witness Khabib vs Tony, it was just never meant to happen.
I think after this hes due to cure covid and help with world peace.

Ladron de redcafe

You do realize that Cormier is in touch with Khabib on a constant basis, don't you? So you're essentially here with an emotional breakdown because people dare take the word of someone who actually knows Khabib said to him rather than....err...you...A seemingly unhinged individual whose posts bespeak an odd obsession with making sure nobody posts anything positive about Khabib?

LazyRed-Ninja

You do realize that Cormier is in touch with Khabib on a constant basis, don't you? So you're essentially here with an emotional breakdown because people dare take the word of someone who actually knows Khabib said to him rather than....err...you...A seemingly unhinged individual whose posts bespeak an odd obsession with making sure nobody posts anything positive about Khabib?

I’ve deliberately constructed the longer ‘positive’ comment (about Khabib being an all time great) in such a way that could be seen as a ‘ Khabib fan boy’ just to see how he would respond..

notice how +Oggmonster used the term Covid in regards to Khabib.. very subtle…

the hilarious part is, that the ‘positive’ comments were all facts that were mentioned and the first thing he could think of was a comment with the term COVID in it..

Conor also referenced the COVID situation in regards to Khabib’s deceased father, which put even more people of the Conor hype train that was derailed by Khabib in the 155 division! I therefore can ‘understand’ why Conor fans would be ‘envious’ of Khabib. He represents everything that Conor did not achieve in his his career, which is retiring as an undefeated champion in his prime.

Oggmonster

Yeah course....was just saying he can go a bit OTT at times. I don't mind people praising Khabib just comment about hom worrying about mums and dad's made me laugh. Forgot not allowed to find things funny here.

No breakdown either thanks for worrying though. Bit harsh to say I'm unhinged though!

I’ve deliberately constructed the longer ‘positive’ comment (about Khabib being an all time great) in such a way that could be seen as a ‘ Khabib fan boy’ just to see how he would respond..

notice how +Oggmonster used the term Covid in regards to Khabib.. very subtle…

the hilarious part is, that the ‘positive’ comments were all facts that were mentioned and the first thing he could think of was a comment with the term COVID in it..

Conor also referenced the COVID situation in regards to Khabib’s deceased father, which put even more people of the Conor hype train that was derailed by Khabib in the 155 division! I therefore can ‘understand’ why Conor fans would be ‘envious’ of Khabib. He represents everything that Conor did not achieve in his his career, which is retiring as an undefeated champion in his prime.
This is random