The MNF question: 10 minutes left in a game, pick anyone in history to win for you coming off the bench.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I would go with Oliver Bierhoff.

First and foremost, he has previous for coming off the bench and having a galvanising influence. The most notable example being the Euros 1996 final between Germany and Czech Republic. When Bierhoff came off the bench, Germany were trailing 1-0 with just 20 minutes to go. It only took him 3-4 minutes to get the equalizer. Talk about an instant impact! The game goes to extra time, and what happens? That's right, Bierhoff scores in extra time which proves to be the winner.

Secondly, its no secret that when teams are desperate for a goal, they tend to be more direct. One of the most direct strategies adopted in football is crosses. Well, when it comes to aerial presence he's one of the best in history as exemplified by:

Even till this day, he has the Serie A record of most goals from headers in a single campaign

Furthermore, we need to think about the mindset a player needs to be expected to make the difference. Remember, this will be when the crowd become restless. Or when your teammates start gesticulating. Confidence is paamount in football, and yet, in these latter stages where a players mental fortitude is challenged. Its this stage of the game where self-doubt creeps in, or players defer to bigger names to take that risk. Now I want to quickly pivot back to what I mentioned in the first paragraph, he scored both the equalizer and the winner. Different things were at stake at both stages of the goals right. With Germany trailing, the headspace being do not lose, but then the headspace following the equalizer lets go for the kill. Now to come back full circle, its important to emphasize that this was a player that was not only far removed from the starting berth, he wasn't even getting cameo appearances as far as the knockout rounds were concerned. Prior to his substitue appearance, he last featured in a group stage game. So for him to do what he did speaks volumes of his mental fortitude.
Great post

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Recoba and just tell him to shoot from anywhere. Sort of like Fulton Reed mentality with 1 in 5.

VanKenny

Messi. Something about him being the best dribbler, goal scorer and passer all in one seem to make him the obvious choice, as he would fit any team regardless of formation or his team's strenghts.

Plus, his record after coming from the bench is spectacular, but its a very underrated part of his game since its extremely rare for him not to start a game when he's fit to play.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I always think Rashford's excellent when he comes on as a sub, rare as it is.

redrobed

I find if funny how Messi stats had 0 international trophies
Also wasn't Messi in the barca squad for 06? Didn't he play a part and should have 4 champions League ?
I don’t know what this was supposed to say but if it’s bashing Messi I agree. Some of the rest of you need to check where your loyalties lie. Ronaldo is Utd through and through.

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
People won’t like it but Gerrard isn’t a bad shout... carried that team.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The script has been totally flipped post 2015
So just to clarify I'm not calling him a bottler or anything... He has a good number of big game performances... But I don't think he's top in that regards history wise. As much as I think Ramos is... but anyways, he seemed to be the bigger big game performer while Ronaldo was at Madrid...

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Recoba and just tell him to shoot from anywhere. Sort of like Fulton Reed mentality with 1 in 5.
We have a winner. That is exactly how Gallardo used him in his last few seasons back from Europe.

He spent his entire career blowing hot and cold (mostly cold) for much of the game. Never had the drive or the workrate. What he had was his delivery from set pieces, so Gallardo didn't play with 10 men for 70 minutes and just introduced him for the last 20 minutes to wrap up games.

If I remember correctly there were 8 derbies in his last few seasons, may not have been available for all, but in three of them he scored the winner late on.

In his very last season, he came on with Peñarol up 1-0. Nacional drew level from a Recoba corner 2 mins into injury time, and then he got the winner with a 35-yard free kick 4 mins into injury time.

Bierhof, Ronaldo, Vieri, plenty of good headers for late route one. Maguire? Varane? Cavani? Pogba? Matic/McT? They can head a ball. What Recoba does is get the goal to happen, whether directly or indirectly you couldn't care less. Lest we forget, it was David Beckham taking those corners on 26/5/99, not Luke Shaw.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So just to clarify I'm not calling him a bottler or anything... He has a good number of big game performances... But I don't think he's top in that regards history wise. As much as I think Ramos is... but anyways, he seemed to be the bigger big game performer while Ronaldo was at Madrid...
He also missed key penalties in the CL for us (final) and Madrid (Bayern semi). And has been average in a few finals which was I'd assume were the biggest games. But I'd he's definitely good in big games, like all great (elite) players are.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't think he was.

Season by season(off the top of my head) I'll probably leave out important games vs lesser teams.

2009-2010: I don't think there were memorable big game performances from either of them that season. Ronaldo was average in both Clasicos. He scored vs Lyon, but they still got knocked out. Ramos if I recall correctly wasn't great vs Lyon and wasn't a factor in either Clasico.

2010-2011: Ronaldo scoring the winner vs Barcelona in the Copa Del Rey. From what I remember, Ramos did play well that game too. Both of them were ineffective in the CL Clasicos(though Jose's 1st leg approach wasn't really conducive to Ronaldo having a good game). That home loss to Zaragoza that pretty much ended their title hopes had a quiet performance from Ronaldo iirc. Ramos scored, but the defense gave up 3 goals and Carvalho was sent off. That game incredibly ended Jose's home league unbeaten run too as I'm sure you know. Again, a quiet season for big game performances, but Ronaldo perhaps shading it overall.

2011-2012: I thought both of them were a bit quiet in the Supercopa Clasicos. Ronaldo scored in the 2nd leg, but was 'shone up' by Messi that game. Ramos wasn't great defensively. Ronaldo again quiet in the 1st league Clasico. I thought Ramos was poor. Ramos poor again in the Copa Del Rey Clasicos(he got sent off in the 2nd leg). Ronaldo had 2 goals in 2 legs. Not great, but not as quiet as in the league Clasico. Ronaldo bagged a hat-trick at the Calderon in La Liga to maintain Real's lead over Barcelona before the likely title decider El Clasico at the Camp Nou. Ronaldo then scored the winner in that game. He also scored 2 goals vs Bayern in the CL. Of course, both of them missed key penalties. So, I think Ronaldo did better than Ramos in the big games this season.

2012-2013: Ronaldo scored in the supercopa clasico in both legs. Wasn't great, but wasn't poor. I actually don't recall how Ramos did in those games. Ronaldo scored 2 goals in the 1st league clasico. Ramos wasn't great if I recall correctly. Ramos did score the winner in the 2nd league clasico and Ronaldo was subdued that game. Ronaldo won the game in the 2nd leg of the Copa Del Rey Clasico. Ramos was probably outperformed by Varane in those 2 legs.

Ronaldo scored the goal that knocked us out in the CL and scored in both legs. Ramos had an OG and I thought was poor over both legs(RVP should have scored at the Bernabeu). Ronaldo scored vs Dortmund in the 1st leg, but Lewandowski stole the show. Real's defense completely capitulated. Ronaldo was quiet in the 2nd leg and Ramos scored the 2nd goal, but didn't defend well in the 1st half IIRC. Ronaldo then got sent off in the CDR final despite scoring and Ramos was again subdued. I suppose you could argue for both of them this season. Would still go Ronaldo, because I don't think Ramos defended well enough in key games.

2013-2014: Both of them ineffective and quiet in the 1st Clasico. I thought both were poor in the 1st Madrid derby too. Ronaldo scored the equalizer in the 2nd Madrid derby. Ramos crucially sent off in the 2nd Clasico(costing Real vital points for La Liga). Ronaldo scored, but was quiet overall I thought(Benzema and Di Maria the key attackers that day for me). Both of them scored in the draw against Valencia that if I recall correctly pretty much sealed their La Liga fate.

Ronaldo scored 2 goals in the Copa Del Rey Madrid derby 2nd leg. Real kept a clean sheet in both legs, so I would presume Ramos actually defended well(can't remember if he played those legs). Ronaldo didn't play the CDR final and Ramos had a fairly good game I thought.

Ramos was probably more important to the CL run-in than Ronaldo that season. Scored the pivotal goals vs Bayern and the equalizer vs Atletico. I thought he defended pretty well vs Bayern both legs. So, you could go with Ramos this season.

2014-2015: Ronaldo scored in the 1st Madrid derby and 1st Clasico. Don't think Ramos was great in the Madrid derby, but he did better in the Clasico if I remember well(Barcelona were also shocking after their bright start iirc). Ronaldo awful in the 2nd Madrid derby(Ramos did not play I think). Ronaldo scored in the 2nd league Clasico. Ramos arguably at fault for the Suarez winner. Ramos and Ronaldo rather ineffective vs Atleti in the CDR quarters.

Ronaldo set up Chicharito for the winner vs Atleti in the CL quarters. Ronaldo scored in both legs vs Juventus, but it wasn't enough. Ramos lost a header that led to Morata's equalizer.
Real's worst defensive performances probably came without Ramos this season. I'd probably go with Ronaldo here again.

2015-2016: Ronaldo a non-factor in the 1st Clasico and 1st Madrid derby. Ramos was even worse considering the 4-0 Clasico humiliation. Both of them were poor in the 2nd Madrid derby. Ronaldo scored in both legs vs Roma. 2nd leg hat-trick vs Wolfsburg to secure the comeback. Quiet vs City in the 2nd leg. Ramos opened the scoring vs Aleti in the final and both of them scored a penalty. Ronaldo also scored 2 goals vs Barcelona to end their unbeaten run and Ramos got sent off that game yet again. I would think Ronaldo clearly edges it this season.

2016-2017: There were plenty of games that Ramos scored late equalizers/winners(1 notable equalizer vs Barcelona - red card in the reverse fixture though), but surely Ronaldo easily edges this one? His CL run-in was extraordinary. 10 goals in 5 games vs Bayern, Atletico and Juventus. Back-to-back CL hat-tricks. 8 goals in 3 games. 2 goals in the final. Easily Ronaldo for me.

2017-2018: Both of them were poor in the 1st Clasico. Ronaldo was better in the reverse fixture. I don't think Ramos was great. Subdued league campaign for both relatively. Ronaldo scored 3 goals vs PSG in the CL round of 16. The winner in the 1st leg and the tie killer in the 2nd. 2 goals vs Juventus in Turin. Game winning penalty in the 98th minute in the 2nd leg. I thought he faded in the semis and finals, but he did the damage earlier this season compared to last season. Ramos won the final by taking down Salah though? :lol:

Again off the top of my head and I got lazy as the seasons progressed :lol:

Would say Ronaldo was clearly the better big-game performer, but Ramos was great too.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
A motivated Adriano.

And I tell him he can have as many donuts as he wants if he scores.

Or maybe Anderson.

Last edited:

Chief123

Question Gary was posed and he went with C.Ronaldo.

Perhaps a contrivance, or maybe what he genuinely thinks, who knows… other than it being MNF’s segway into another Messi vs. Ronaldo eternal conflict.

Who would you go with if posed the same question from anyone who has ever played the game? Before anyone asks, no further context was given than given in the header, so I guess it’s open to interpretation what type of team or service this player will get.
I think Carragher using the stat of saying Messi has come off the bench and scored more goals than Ronaldo has is a bit of a silly comparison as there is no context. I.e how many of them ended up being match winners. Also, messi has always had a better team around him in his career. Ronaldo is famous for playing virtually every game in his career and hardly ever coming off the bench.

If you are in a scenario like mentioned, I simply look at the context of the situation. You would be trailing and probably up against an opponent who is parking the bus. Therefore there are going to be a number of occasions where the ball is required into the box. For that reason alone, it would have to be Ronaldo simply because he is a threat from every possible way you can score a goal.

As a sidenote, CR7 is the greatest header of a ball I’ve seen in 40 years of football. I’ve never seen someone have the spring and hang time he has as well as the ability to be laser sharp with the direction and power of his headers. It’s an incredibly unique skill.