g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Modern Draft: R1 - Skizzo vs Snow

At players career peaks, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Snow's CB is are a letdown, stark one with Godin and Miranda at the other end.

That said, I can see both teams scoring, but only one controlling the game, so going for the ability to control proceedings tipping the balance.
It's a fact that when two teams are even, the one who controls the possession is more likely to win. A fact people tend to forget. Maybe they think too much about Barca v Inter which is the exception, not the norm.

Also, if you are going to sit deep and counter, you need to build your team like that. I don't think that Skizzo's front 4 is a counter-attacking team. Only Lewandowski is used to that. All the other players only know playing in possession dominating teams. 2 out of 4 also lack speed. Three of his 4 attackers (weird to talk about a team only having 4 players attacking) are also a lot slower than Sterling. They need to be quicker to be more effective.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@Balu how good was Badstuber in the 2011/2012 season? I watched him a lot when Van Gaal was Bayern coach, and I think I was quite impressed with his progression after Van Gaal left. In my memory he was great in the semi-finals against Madrid, even though they scored two quick goals. Bayern really fought back and it was a shame he got a yellow and had to miss the final. But I saw he featured 50 games for Bayern in that 2011/2012 and from what I remember he was really stepping up. Shame he got those severe injuries too.
For some reason I didn't get an alert for that tag. Weird.

He definitely made a huge step forward from the 10/11 season, which was really bad after a promosing debut season. He played consistently well and was the mainstay in our back four. Everyone else was moved around a lot until Heynckes finally found his best back four in Alaba, Badstuber, Boateng, Lahm. I expected us to go back to that in 12/13 as well, but first Alaba was injured and Badstuber filled in at leftback and then Badstuber got injured and was out for 18 months :(. Maybe we finally get to see it again in the upcoming weeks when Lahm returns.

Snow

Snow's midfield is excellent for the first round, there's a gulf in quality there. I probably prefer Snow's attack as well, as I don't rate Sterling too highly and prefer to see Silva central.

Skizzo's defence is very good though and clearly better.
You need to vote on your preference here Theon ;)

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
For some reason I didn't get an alert for that tag. Weird.

He definitely made a huge step forward from the 10/11 season, which was really bad after a promosing debut season. He played consistently well and was the mainstay in our back four. Everyone else was moved around a lot until Heynckes finally found his best back four in Alaba, Badstuber, Boateng, Lahm. I expected us to go back to that in 12/13 as well, but first Alaba was injured and Badstuber filled in at leftback and then Badstuber got injured and was out for 18 months :(. Maybe we finally get to see it again in the upcoming weeks when Lahm returns.
Yeah you probably didn't get an alert because I edited my post. But I see, let's hope Badstuber can stay fit, he's a really nice option to have

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
No need for the compilation man, I've seen enough of Silva for City, Valencia and Spain to know that he can play on the left or right wing. I disagree with you that he is equally effective there as he is in the middle. It's nothing personal for Silva as I feel the same way for the host of technical AM's who get played out wide, whether it's Mata, Ozil, Silva or whoever.

For me Silva is best centrally, as he can pick up the ball as much as possible and have the most passing options available to him. On the wing I think you lose some of his playmaking. He's still good there but I don't think that it is his best position.
Fair enough mate. However, he has been playing at an extraordinarily high level for City and Spain for years in that inside right position. He isn't performing as an isolated right winger mind but rather an inside right midfielder of sorts who will still see the lion's share of the ball. He's performed exceptionally there for years there so we'd have to agree to disagree on that.

Neither Ozil nor Mata have exhibited the same degree of effectiveness in that role. So much so that many seem to regard it as Silva's best position and not the central role. Like you, I don't like creative No 10s being shoehorned out wide like Ozil or Mata but Silva's made that position his own and has been genuinely class out there. If you think he's slightly better centrally then fair enough but I don't think its much of a moot point tbh. We could easily swap Müller's and Silva's positions and avoid this furore, but there is a reason why we are playing these versatile players where they are right now.

Am I up against 2 managers here? I thought assistants weren't allowed here but @Joga Bonito seems awfully biased.
I'm his scout which is exactly why I can't vote for this match.

s the trio of an out of positioned Müller, out of positioned Silva and Sterling going to exploit counter attack
Silva and Muller aren't out of positions. Silva's played that inside right role to perfection for City and Spain whilst Müller is Müller and can play any of the front 4 positions to an equally high level. He's played 19 games this season for Bayern from central areas whilst appearing out wide and up front for Germany in the WC. The Raümsdeuter is that versatile and complete.

with those 30% that they will have the ball?
You are making your team sound like Barça when it isn't. Would having Thiago, Modric and Busquets help you have an edge in the possession battle? Most certainly. Are the risky and direct styles of Hazard, Cuadrado and Adriano going to sucessfully augment that posession based style and help you domimate posession to 60-70%? Or is playing an extreme posession based game going to suit that extremely individualistic front trio of yours who are risk takers, love to take on players and go on solo runs? Diarra and Matuidi in combination with Müller being a pest for Biscuits isn't going to be a waltz in the park for your midfield either.

Srna + Cuadrado against Evra and Hazard against Juanfran. That's not a contest either.
I'd say the left flank is a fairly even battle and can go either way, although I'm inclined to give our flank the edge due to the presence of Evra and I'd back him to deal with and pin back Cuadrado. Srna is a fine wingback but he does have the pace and trickery of Sterling to deal with and can't afford to be too exuberant.

You are right about the Juanfran vs Hazard being a no contest though, I'd give you that.

It was all perfectly set for Mourinho. A goalless draw at Vicente Calderon meant that Chelsea were favourites for the CL semi final second leg at the 'fortress' Stamford Bridge. Mourinho, more than anyone, knew what was at stake here, a CL final place against his ex-employers Real Madrid, who'd acrimoniously fired him, held in Lisbon of all places. Surely a typical Jose 'dark arts' defensive masterclass against the inexperienced Atleti side and Chelsea were through to the finals for that mouthwatering final against Real, where Mourinho would have his revenge and gleefully rub it in the faces of Casillas and Ronaldo.

Predictably, Mourinho fielded a side with the likes of Luiz, Ramires and even full back Azpilicueta in midfield. A lot was hinging on the mercurial Hazard and he'd fire Chelsea and Mourinho into the final, surely?

No. Atleti and Juanfran were having none of that. In short, he shat on Mourinho's (and Hazard) parade.

Juanfran put up a masterclass, creating a goal and playing a major part in the other as they won 3-1 at the 'fortress' Stamford Bridge. He kept Hazard in his pocket and it was Hazard who was struggling to keep up with Juanfran :lol:, leading Mourinho to criticise Hazard with Juanfran ending the match as MOTM.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2014/05...is-juanfrans-far-post-runs-win-it-for-atleti/

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation....-out-of-context-jose-mourinho-and-eden-hazard

http://clubatleticodemadrid.com/noticias/juanfran-fue-elegido-man-of-the-match

Simeone summed him up perfectly when he claimed having Juanfran was like having a full back and a winger rolled into one.

Here, they are not in very defensive minded team.
Nope. We have a similar set up to the Atleti one, strangely enough, albeit not too many similarities in playing style. 3 of their back 4 augmented with Evra who's a similar prototype of FB to F.Luis and an upgrade at that.

2 CMs who aren't the most flamboyant of midfielders or great individuals (bar Gabi ofc) but rather tidy and functional players with decent passing abilities and primarily rock solid defensive attributes (Gabi, M.Suarez, Tiago). Which is what I'd describe both Diarra and Matuidi as.

They have a tricky wide player in Turan (Sterling) and a roaming wide playmaker in Koke (Silva). Both their widemen are better grafters but Sterling is no slouch in this regard and can put in a shift.

A hustle and bustle CF who presses a lot and is a physical threat in Costa. Lewa is capable of doing that without the same degree of physicality but with more finesse, technique and better link up play. Same thing with Raul Garcia for the pesky Müller with less physicality but the same industry and a significantly better all round game.

So it isn't really a side brimming with passengers or anything and they won't be overwhelmed here by any means.

His team isn't fast or clever enough on the break to utilize that.
There is more than enough pace in Lewa, Sterling, Müller, Evra, Matuidi and Juanfran. An abundance of craft and finesse in all of that front 4.

Firstly the narrative of your team absolutely dominating possession and outplaying us is something I don't necessarily agree with.

As I've said before your midfield trio is extremely talented on the ball and will have the edge in possession as it would against most teams in this draft, no two ways about that. However, you don't have the overall set up nor the personnel to sustain and build on that possession advantage. Besides we have the personnel who can deal with your midfield and not be overwhelmed.

Secondly, I'd say our attack is set up to have much more joy than yours. Lewa vs Badstuber & Garay (who aren't a complementary pair with their severe lack of pace) as opposed to Adriano vs Godin & Miranda. Who will be keeping track of Muller's runs here? Will Azpilicueta be able to stop Silva's (in his prime the best attacking playmaker in the world after Iniesta) craft and intelligent play when his real strengths are 1v1 play and duelling?

There is also the issue of a real lack of defensive fortitude, steel and ball winners in your midfield. It shouldn't really be an issue for a possession dominating team who don't really need to do much 'raw defending' but your team isn't fully set up to do so, bar the midfield obviously. If you choose to play a possession based style, then you aren't utilizing Hazard, Adriano and Cuadrado properly and they won't thrive in a non direct system. You can't have your cake and eat it here.

Oh I could be wrong here but did you change your vote @crappycraperson ?

Last edited:

VivaJanuzaj

Every game this season he's either been central or to the left.
Last season he played often on the right and played good.

Edit: Actually I'm not sure now, because last season Navas started at the right a lot. I think every time he was subbed/didn't start Silva played on the right and Nasri on the left, with them switching around at times.

Snow

@Joga Bonito

I thought the consensus what there would be no assistant managers, that you could get a "scout" to help you pick players. Not have him have a say in the team or anything like that. You don't sound like a "scout". You're the most vocal guy in this thread.

Evra in his prime left massive space behind him. He's also far from the best at defending one v ones. What he is, is great in attack. Better than most. He's another player in your team that belongs in a possession dominated squad, not one that sits back and counters.

VivaJanuzaj

Nope. Didn't start on the right once. He did two seasons ago but that season they mostly played a 4-2-2 with no wingers.
See edit.
But I'm not as sure as I was before, maybe you're right. However I don't see a problem with him on the right.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
When Silva plays wide for City it's almost always on the left, no? @BobbyManc
This season he's mostly played on the left but for the title winning City team of last season it was Nasri on the left and Silva on the right.

Edit : Et tu Barney? :(

Last edited:

Snow

See edit.
But I'm not as sure as I was before, maybe you're right. However I don't see a problem with him on the right.
Basically, him on right means him central. He doesn't go wide much. When he does he's more likely to go to the left. It's frankly a bit bizarre that they have them switched like that. Müller almost always plays on the right. Not behind the striker. It's like playing Mata on the wing and Di Maria in the hole if it were United.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Snow

Just dropped in to make clear my thoughts and couldn't help but respond to that post.

Anyway I'll scoot over and continue the Edwards documentary that I was watching. Won't be back for some time.

Snow

This season he's mostly played on the left but for the title winning City team of last season it was Nasri on the left and Silva on the right.

Edit : Et tu Barney? :(
Nope. Have a look at this picture then check for yourself. Use Squawka if you want some heatmaps (shows his positions when he passes, tackles etc. is involved with the ball)

edit: What Edwards documentary?

Skizzo

Basically, him on right means him central. He doesn't go wide much. When he does he's more likely to go to the left. It's frankly a bit bizarre that they have them switched like that. Müller almost always plays on the right. Not behind the striker. It's like playing Mata on the wing and Di Maria in the hole if it were United.
Strange assessment since I'm pretty sure almost all his goals this season have come from him starting in a central position.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/thomas-muller/leistungsdaten/spieler/58358

As for David Silva, to argue that he couldn't play on the right is a bit ingenious of you considering how you're bigging up Adriano in a system that wouldn't suit him, and not one that he ever thrived in through his "peak"

At Parma he linked up with Mutu and they rarely ran with 1 striker, and with Inter they played with 2 strikers for almost every single game. Here you have him in there in a system where he rarely played, but argue against Muller who has showed similar goal scoring form as your lead striker, from a central role behind another striker.

Skizzo

maybe this will clear up some confusion about how fluid the front 4 can be. Silva and Muller won't just be operating in the same positions throughout the game. As has been said, they're both intelligent players, and thrive in different positions, and they both offer a different threat to the defence. Muller can make runs in behind the defence, and Silva can use that space opened up in front of the back 4. Muller can fill in on the right, and they can switch back.

As for the possession statements...they're a bit exaggerated. There's a difference between having a possession advantage, which you would have, and dominating and controlling the game to the point we would be useless in attack. In the Premier League 2013/2014...the team with more possession won 55% of the time. A slight majority, but by no means a damning fact that proves beyond doubt that you'd have an advantage here. Plus as was pointed out, players like Hazard, Cuadrado and Adriano don't fit well into a possession based team since their style lends itself to potential turnovers.

What's a better indicator of who will win a game? Goals perhaps? Shot conversion? Think our team is quite well versed in scoring and converting chances, as opposed to your striker who is played in a formation that doesn't suit him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Not sure about some criticism made about Silva, Sterling, Muller and Evra so far aren't being suited to counter-attacking football. The criticism about Silva being played out of position is very strange too, he isn't Mata or Ozil, he is more of an Iniesta/Ronaldinho in that regard, I would argue that he actually plays best on that "wide" position as he have more space to operate in.

Liverpool last year was fantastic on the break and Sterling was one of the main reasons of it (even if I think that he is overrated a little). Silva destroys teams on the break on the daily basis - just remember 1:6 :( Muller - just take a look at Germany - Argentina. And we always were a counter-attacking team under Fergie, and Evra was a big part of that also (and much more defensively solid than you lot are giving him credit for here, his last years, sadly, ruined his image).

Snow midfield is just mouthwatering - and he will dominate possession and create chances, no doubt about this. But yet, this isn't the Barca trio - they are only humans - and all three of Skizzo's attacking midfielders would drop back and help a very capable duo of Matuidi/Diarra.

Hazard decided this game for me in the end, it was very close. I don't rate him as high as caf does - all this "next Ballon D'Or winner" and "best player in the league by the mile", and Skizzo/Joga make a great argument about him losing his personal battle against Juanfran once already. While Snow is too dependent on him to perform, imo.

It is a very tough game and 12/10 (I'm too lazy to count manager votes) sounds fair. I'm hoping for a draw, neither team deserve to lose on this stage.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It's a fact that when two teams are even, the one who controls the possession is more likely to win. A fact people tend to forget. Maybe they think too much about Barca v Inter which is the exception, not the norm.

Also, if you are going to sit deep and counter, you need to build your team like that. I don't think that Skizzo's front 4 is a counter-attacking team. Only Lewandowski is used to that. All the other players only know playing in possession dominating teams. 2 out of 4 also lack speed. Three of his 4 attackers (weird to talk about a team only having 4 players attacking) are also a lot slower than Sterling. They need to be quicker to be more effective.
It's not as much the four but how you start those counters. Yes, the fullbacks can carry the ball, but you don't want to be carrying the ball when the ball alone can travel faster. I don't see any top distributor in defence or central midfield though.

harms

Staff
It's not as much the four but how you start those counters. Yes, the fullbacks can carry the ball, but you don't want to be carrying the ball when the ball alone can travel faster. I don't see any top distributor in defence or central midfield though.
This is a very good point - I would expect Silva to drop back and start those. He isn't the most threatening in front of the goal anyway. But it's certainly a flaw in an almost flawless Skizzo's team.

Skizzo

There's a difference between having someone like Scholes or Pirlo sitting deep and constantly pinging balls here, there, and everywhere. The players I have are more than capable of knocking a ball forward to start an attack.

NM

I don't want to vote and potentitally decide this one.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
There's a difference between having someone like Scholes or Pirlo sitting deep and constantly pinging balls here, there, and everywhere. The players I have are more than capable of knocking a ball forward to start an attack.
It's one thing to knock the ball forward and another to play the right ball forward, with the right pace and precision to really hurt a back-pedaling team. I'm not saying you can't counter-attack, but it will affect your effectiveness when countering.

Snow

I don't want to vote and potentitally decide this one.
What is the score here. Am I winning because I have more managers voting?

At least you've commented. I was going to vote for Theon but I forgot after work. He won anyway so I don't feel so bad. The others I had as a draw. I hope that the (10 I think) other managers are thinking that too or are too busy to vote. Otherwise I would be a bit disappointed with only 5 managers putting in their say.

Snow

Not sure about some criticism made about Silva, Sterling, Muller and Evra so far aren't being suited to counter-attacking football. The criticism about Silva being played out of position is very strange too, he isn't Mata or Ozil, he is more of an Iniesta/Ronaldinho in that regard, I would argue that he actually plays best on that "wide" position as he have more space to operate in.

Liverpool last year was fantastic on the break and Sterling was one of the main reasons of it (even if I think that he is overrated a little). Silva destroys teams on the break on the daily basis - just remember 1:6 :( Muller - just take a look at Germany - Argentina. And we always were a counter-attacking team under Fergie, and Evra was a big part of that also (and much more defensively solid than you lot are giving him credit for here, his last years, sadly, ruined his image).

Snow midfield is just mouthwatering - and he will dominate possession and create chances, no doubt about this. But yet, this isn't the Barca trio - they are only humans - and all three of Skizzo's attacking midfielders would drop back and help a very capable duo of Matuidi/Diarra.

Hazard decided this game for me in the end, it was very close. I don't rate him as high as caf does - all this "next Ballon D'Or winner" and "best player in the league by the mile", and Skizzo/Joga make a great argument about him losing his personal battle against Juanfran once already. While Snow is too dependent on him to perform, imo.

It is a very tough game and 12/10 (I'm too lazy to count manager votes) sounds fair. I'm hoping for a draw, neither team deserve to lose on this stage.
Some of the criticisms made are blown up because in these threads you're hunting votes. They do have their basis. It's also illogical for me to make criticism about another team and then count my own. Why would I do that? :)

I'm not clear on your last line. Hazard decided the game for me in the end. Are you saying that my team edges it?

Basically, to sum up my team. It doesn't have general weaknesses. My wings are good both in attack and defense. I have a strong midfield that controls possession. I have match winners, a strong forward and a good back 4. Yes my CBs aren't the best but they aren't weak. They are good CBs. Just because Garay isn't as good as a CB like Hazard is a winger doesn't mean he's a weakness. They are about as strong as any pair in this draft apart from Skizzo's and a few others.

Skizzo

Some of the criticisms made are blown up because in these threads you're hunting votes. They do have their basis. It's also illogical for me to make criticism about another team and then count my own. Why would I do that? :)

I'm not clear on your last line. Hazard decided the game for me in the end. Are you saying that my team edges it?

Basically, to sum up my team. It doesn't have general weaknesses. My wings are good both in attack and defense. I have a strong midfield that controls possession. I have match winners, a strong forward and a good back 4. Yes my CBs aren't the best but they aren't weak. They are good CBs. Just because Garay isn't as good as a CB like Hazard is a winger doesn't mean he's a weakness. They are about as strong as any pair in this draft apart from Skizzo's and a few others.
That's such a shit tactic tbf :lol: "Oh, I'll just make sweeping observations about your team that aren't necessarily factual because I want to win." If that's how this is gonna be, then why even bother discussing?

His point about Hazard was that you said in your opening post that he would be the main reason that Adriano would thrive..because apparently my whole defence would flock towards him like a moth...which is utter bullshit anyway, but even more so as we already pointed out he has faced Juanfran and failed miserable already.,

I've already responded to your points you raised and addressed why they would work...you've yet to point out how you would overcome the struggles Adriano would have in this set up, and how Hazard would overcome an opponent he has already struggled against to the point of his own manager criticizing him.

If you point out on my side that Adriano is going to walk through my defence, but then say Garay and Badstuber are one of the best pairings apart from mine...then you're just going in circles. My team is better equipped to handle your attacking threat, which i've already pointed out why...where as yours is less likely to be able to stop mine. You might control the game, but I'm better equipped to take the chances I get with the firepower, and attacking threat, I have.

harms

Staff
Nah, I was unclear, sorry. I think that you lack true talismanic presence in attack, you say that Hazard is your star man and he would win the game for you, but I just don't see him being on that level now. So Hazard being (in my eyes) not the man that you described him to be, decided the game for me - and if he would've been, I would've probably went for you in the end.

Basically, to sum up my team. It doesn't have general weaknesses
Yeah, it's what makes the decision so difficult. You and Skizzo were my favourites because of how well-built and balanced your teams were from the start. Unlucky draw :(

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Oh I could be wrong here but did you change your vote @crappycraperson ?
Yes. As I said I thought that Skizzo's team could soak up pressure with that defense and DM duo and hit on counter. But then I bought into some of the arguments made against it being an effective CA team. I don't see Silva as someone who will thrive in a team that does not dominate possession. Someone like Muller in his 2010 WC role could be someone who could play a part in CA team as a wing forward but you seem to want to play his current better version and while he would be an asset pressing up front, I don't see him being as effective with that MF duo behind him. Sterling + Evra seems like your best outlet of creating something on counter. But Silva was one of the big reasons I voted for your team. I don't have any qualms about him not being in middle, it is obvious he will almost always cut in but as said before I don't see him thriving with those 2 DM behind him against that MF trio and I don't see your team being as effective without Silva playing well.

MJJ

Yes. As I said I thought that Skizzo's team could soak up pressure with that defense and DM duo and hit on counter. But then I bought into some of the arguments made against it being an effective CA team. I don't see Silva as someone who will thrive in a team that does not dominate possession. Someone like Muller in his 2010 WC role could be someone who could play a part in CA team as a wing forward but you seem to want to play his current better version and while he would be an asset pressing up front, I don't see him being as effective with that MF duo behind him. Sterling + Evra seems like your best outlet of creating something on counter. But Silva was one of the big reasons I voted for your team. I don't have any qualms about him not being in middle, it is obvious he will almost always cut in but as said before I don't see him thriving with those 2 DM behind him against that MF trio and I don't see your team being as effective without Silva playing well.
Dont city normally play with 2 DMs with yaya in front at time? Doesnt seem to hamper silva.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Dont city normally play with 2 DMs with yaya in front at time? Doesnt seem to hamper silva.
It is not just about the 2 DMs, it is about if Silva is part of a dominant midfield or not. Even in Europe, Silva is much less effective when someone like Toure is not able to stamp his authority. I don't see Silva as an Ozil-esque player who will be quiet the whole game and then just slip a beauty of a pass when he has the ball. I think he needs to have the ball a good duration of the match to make an impact.

MJJ

It is not just about the 2 DMs, it is about if Silva is part of a dominant midfield or not. Even in Europe, Silva is much less effective when someone like Toure is not able to stamp his authority. I don't see Silva as an Ozil-esque player who will be quiet the whole game and then just slip a beauty of a pass when he has the ball. I think he needs to have the ball a good duration of the match to make an impact.
Ah yes, I see your point. Agree with you there. Who is your sub? @Skizzo @Joga_Bonito

Skizzo

Not sure where this idea of our team just sitting deep for 75 minutes of a game soaking up pressure and purely running a few counter attacks came from. We conceded that Snow's midfield would have the edge of possession in midfield, but as pointed out elsewhere, his 3 attackers aren't possession players who will pass and move endlessly. They'll all want the ball at their feet and try and dribble to beat a man. He doesn't have a Messi type player who will drop and just pass, pass, pass all game and have him with 70% possession.

With Lewandowski, Muller, Silva, and Matuidi, we have players who are comfortable on the ball. The difference is, when he has the ball, we have players who will work hard to get it back on defence..he can't really boast the same.

Skizzo

Why not drop sterling for keita? I dont think his wingers have the quality to create anywhere near enough chances for adriano once you nullify the midfield.
Sterling has to be as part of the starting 11

Plus we've already addressed the fact that he claims Adriano will be effective because Hazard will be the main guy.

We already pointed out that Hazard struggled against Juanfran and Athletico's defence already, to the point that Juanfran was MOTM, had a key part in winning the game, and it even led to Mourinho criticizing Hazard for his performance. So now Hazard isn't dominated like he hopes, the space doesn't open for Adriano...who never thrived in a single striker formation throughout his "peak" years. He always played as part of a two, and Mutu was his partner up top during his Parma years.

Our defence is set up to contain his threats, and I've explained why, multiple times. He's not been able to show any way that he can contain our attacking threat.

Last edited: