The most impressive thing in sport

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Often named is Bob Beamon bettering the long jump WR by over half a meter, and at the Olympic games, of all events.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
With the nine darter it's either in or not it's not going to fly out of the treble 20 bed into the 17s or 19s, however the amount of times flukes or shot to nothings have started a 147 and in between the break luck and flukes have contributed to many 147s. Coupled with brilliance granted. Phil Taylor hitting 2 nine darters and going on for three was really something v James Wade.
As I said further up, my brother has hit 7 of 9 darts. My father maintains his mate did it in the working mans club once. It’s comparable to a hole in one. Insanely tough but you’ve only got to do 1 thing 9 times.

I don’t know anyone that’s got anywhere near a 147 that wasn’t a professional. It’s leagues more difficult. Yes a fluke can keep one going, but it’s harder.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Gold in different sports at the same Olympics has to be up there, especially considering how unfancied she was in the Super G.

sallycinnamin

As I said further up, my brother has hit 7 of 9 darts. My father maintains his mate did it in the working mans club once. It’s comparable to a hole in one. Insanely tough but you’ve only got to do 1 thing 9 times.

I don’t know anyone that’s got anywhere near a 147 that wasn’t a professional. It’s leagues more difficult. Yes a fluke can keep one going, but it’s harder.
Absolutely without a doubt it's harder and I follow both religiously.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Darts and Snooker are not sports. So there’s that.
:lol: yeah they're really not. They're games.

And before anyone says "urr but u coudknt get a 9 dart or 147". Yeah, that's true. But I also can't moonwalk or put up a shelf straight and if I did I wouldn't call myself an athlete.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
What about the All Blacks win record? The highest in the history of all sport for all time. Pretty decent.

Classical Mechanic

Did a bit of catching up on the whole story of this, it must certainly be up there with the most incredible feats. Absolutely insane (and not entirely in a good way).
Bit awkward but......

That said I think Eddie’s was more impressive because he beat the previous record by so much.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Bit awkward but......

That said I think Eddie’s was more impressive because he beat the previous record by so much.
Yeah, when I browsed that stuff I noticed that this attempt was due today :lol:

Every record will be beaten eventually, even if this was "only" a few years later. But to be the first to reach an almost unthinkable milestone is the truly special achievement. The story how Hall got himself to that place is pretty frightening.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I don’t know much about darts and snooker just sounds like you’re just going fishing, so I’m going with the perfect game in baseball.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
What about the All Blacks win record? The highest in the history of all sport for all time. Pretty decent.
Shit sport is shit. The game is barely professional in Australia and if we didnt have imports, the wallabies would be fecked. I dont know what its like in the UK, but it would surely be considered a third tier sport? Meanwhile in New Zealand, its all they play...

I appreciate how good the all blacks are, but its the equivalent of the Australian Rugby League side.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
:lol: yeah they're really not. They're games.

And before anyone says "urr but u coudknt get a 9 dart or 147". Yeah, that's true. But I also can't moonwalk or put up a shelf straight and if I did I wouldn't call myself an athlete.
I once did a nine-darter at snooker.

Serious question: what's the difference between a professional sport and a professional game? Is the difference merely a matter of how 'athletic' each are?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Serious question: what's the difference between a professional sport and a professional game? Is the difference merely a matter of how 'athletic' each are?
Tbh I can't play it so I'm jealous.

SteveJ

Scout
The tables are too bloody big, unless you're a giant.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Honestly I don’t know. But if you can do it better with a pint between efforts, you’re standing closer to a game than a sport.

In reality, there are athletic and non-athletic sports I guess. Darts and Snooker can be sports in essence, but they’re not athletic, and they’re turn based. That’s double trouble for me.

Matchplay Golf is a sport I guess. Regular Golf... precarious.

SteveJ

Scout
I just wondered whether there was a genuine reason to differentiate them, or whether it was snobbery* or merely personal preference.

*This is likely too harsh a word in many cases, but not all.

Zen

In terms of the 9 darter vs 147..... surely the '147' is "harder" - as for one, you kinda have to be a master of the craft to do it, find me a club player who has done it? Century breaks are rare for them. A 9 darter can and has been done by amateurs.... but maybe that just mean it's easier to fluke.

Yet for pros, the numbers would suggest 147 is far easier, baring in mind almost every leg of darts is more started with the scoring leading into a chance for a 9 darter with the exception of the guys who like triple 19 now and then, a Snooker player will be looking to win the frame, not a 147, so won't pot a red looking for the black.. it's high risk low reward nowadays.... whereas a 9 darter is a no risk low reward and despite that is more rare.

So who the hell knows? I've done neither.... but I've been within 2 inches of a hole in one like 3 times.... I'm a shit golfer.

Carolina Red

Staff
In 2002 Mike Creen scored a Condor at the 517 yard par 5 9th hole at the Green Valley Ranch Golf Club in Denver, Colorado. It is the longest hole in one on record, and he did it without cutting a dogleg.

Skills

Snitch
The whole Thor vs Hall thing reminded me of this :

220 Kg snatch is fecking nuts. There's literally such a small margin for error and he made it look easy. Olympic Weightlifting is just a different level in terms of a display of athleticism and technique.

Sweet Square

I just wondered whether there was a genuine reason to differentiate them, or whether it was snobbery* or merely personal preference.

*This is likely too harsh a word in many cases, but not all.
It's this. They see some fat lad hitting a 9 darter or struggling to walk around a snooker table and declare that it's not a real ''sport''. Which the counter argument is go and watch league 2 football.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Shit sport is shit. The game is barely professional in Australia and if we didnt have imports, the wallabies would be fecked. I dont know what its like in the UK, but it would surely be considered a third tier sport? Meanwhile in New Zealand, its all they play...

I appreciate how good the all blacks are, but its the equivalent of the Australian Rugby League side.
It’s not all they play, they’ve had great cricket teams over the years and from what I gather Basketball has become very popular. I’m not really a fan of rugby but watching the all blacks in full flight is impressive as feck. but to say it’s a shit sport is stupid. You’re a shit sport.