The Most Unique Player of All-Time

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Physiocrat, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Jun 24, 2019

Tragically Hip New Member

I find it so infuriating that people fall for the 'no look' BS. He is clearly looking at the net when he shoots and then looks away. So goddamn dumb. If you are looking for something unique about Firmino, it is his freakishly white teeth.
  2. Jun 30, 2019

B20 HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Clearly.

[​IMG]
  3. Jun 30, 2019

Abe144 New Member

Supports:
    CD Guadalajara
    Regarding Agüero, he plays with a style very similar to Romario. Although the Brazilian did it better and at a higher level. His peak was shorter but he dominated at international level for years and with different strike partners. Something Agüero has never been able to do
  4. Jun 30, 2019

Physiocrat Full Member

@Synco Great videos and music! It looks like they were playing on an ice-rink in the second one
  5. Jun 30, 2019

Synco Lucio's #1 Fan

If you enjoyed that part, here's your full dose.
  6. Jun 30, 2019

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Because a pic shows you everything
  7. Jun 30, 2019

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Shows a lot more than a written claim. In this picture he is obviously not looking during the shot.
  8. Jun 30, 2019

But not more than a video.
  9. Jun 30, 2019

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Are you going to present something substantial or just vague "well, pictures don't show everything and it for sure ain't video" aspersions in response to a pretty clear picture?
  10. Jun 30, 2019

Physiocrat Full Member

The White John Barnes
  11. Jun 30, 2019

I am too lazy to to search for a link. I watched it live and that poster wasn't that wrong.
  12. Jun 30, 2019

harms Way Staff

I'm not participating in your argument but Jesus, it's so stupid :lol:

The whole purpose of looking in another direction (Ronaldinho, Henry etc.) is to make your opponent think that you're going to pass the ball in that direction... does anyone think that he's going to shoot towards his own goal?
  13. Jun 30, 2019

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It's just a fun gimmick really. He did a no look signature when he signed the last contract extension.
  14. Jun 30, 2019

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

And a no look choice of fake teeth one would assume.
  15. Jun 30, 2019

Buster15 Full Member

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    Yes.
    Has to be Ronaldo for me.
    Constantly improving.
    Never hides in even the biggest games.
    Brilliant in the air.
    And very good looking as well which always helps.
  16. Jul 1, 2019

Dutchjerry New Member

Francesco Totti, not only unique in his love and loyalty for one club, but also a great player.
  17. Jul 4, 2019

Shamana Full Member

Lionel Messi - arguably the best goal scorer of all time, arguably best dribbler of all time and one the past passers of all time. Amazing vision. He's perfect in everything, he can do. He is a midget and not a atheltic specimen so he's only limited in those areas.

Personally I find Messi's goal scoring the most impressive since he's not a number 9. Scoring all those goals while being the midfield maestro as well.
  18. Jul 4, 2019

Shamana Full Member

The great thing about Ronaldinho was just how obvious it was that he loved playing football and loved life. And all football fans just loved watching him play. So flamboyant and effective at the same time.
  19. Jul 5, 2019

_00_deathscar New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Cavani?
    Best movement I’ve ever seen in any striker ever.
    Scores an absolute shit ton of goals but is actually not a great finisher. Technically quite good on the ball until sometimes the final touch/finish lets him down.
    Hides in big games and/or doesn’t do anything of note
  20. Jul 5, 2019

NoPace Full Member

You're right. It's nonsense.

Some good back heels and one nice play where he pretends to be looking for a cross and surprises the keeper with a shot from a bad angle (a fairly common play but still) and the rest is just pretending to do a no look by doing it after connecting with the ball. A basketball player used to do the same with no-look passes where the no-look was after releasing it, but I can't remember who at the minute.

Great player though, and genuinely important I think in that playing a 10 who can finish and press as a 9 seems like it could really become commonplace.

Not to go on a tangent, but I think underdog teams will end up realizing they should often use like 8 or 9 midfielders in game they are likely to lose. Should give you better players on the ball who are more versatile and fit and can handle tactical changes in game.

As much as worse teams like to bunker and play on the break, I think really high pressing to compensate for skill might make more sense. Easier to get fitter players than talented ones too.

Having two tactical styles will probably become more common. If you're going to lose anyways, it might make more sense to press for 20 minutes, time waste and bunker until half with 3 midfielders and forwards still running at full pelt, then use all 3 subs at half.

TLDR: Firmino's no look stuff is nonsense but he might be an early example of teams using central midfielders at forward and in defence more, much like how many basketball teams play 3-4 wings (the most scalable all-around types). Simeone playing 4 central mids across the midfield too, maybe.
  21. Jul 5, 2019

The very first one is the perfect example of how cringy it all is. I only remember a handful of players pulling a perfect no look pass for instance but it's more of a gimmick than anything else.

Constantly improving ? I don't see it, he's reached a crazy high level and he's maintained it, I don't see any aspect of his game that has improved for a while now.
  22. Jul 6, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

Dimitar Berbatov. Pretends to be a footballer but in reality is an artist.
  23. Jul 15, 2019

Mr. MUJAC Talent spotter

United played 433 long before Morgan was signed.
  24. Jul 15, 2019

SadlerMUFC Full Member

This Firmino "no look" crap is just that. Crap. It's not like he's fooling anyone. He's just showboating when he has an empty goal. It's the equivilant to an MMA fighter doing a little dance before he gets knocked out. One of these days he's going to do his little "no look" on an empty goal and he's going to miss, and personally, I can't wait for that meme...
  25. Jul 15, 2019

Kanu Full Member

Lal, so salty, love it.
  26. Jul 15, 2019

KM I’m afraid I just blue myself Staff

Not sure if unique or not, but Dani Alves at Sevilla was the only player i've ever seen who was running matches from the right back position.
  27. Jul 15, 2019

SilentStrike New Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    Philipp Lahm did it pretty much all his career. Never seen such influence from a full back position.

But because his appearance, name and personality are so casual we don't think of him being as unique as he is.
  28. Jul 15, 2019

thisISben New Member

Anyone remember Kerlon from a while back?

Perfected the ‘seal dribble’ which involves bouncing the ball on your head whilst moving to stop defenders cleanly tackling you.

Usually involves getting hacked down mind you, and has faded into obscurity since.
  29. Jul 15, 2019

KirkDuyt Full Member

Supports:
    Feyenoord
    He actually played for Ajax. Well, I say played, but I don't think he ever made the first team.
  30. Jul 15, 2019

thisISben New Member

I think every club he moved to was due to his dribble alone, as his stats are woeful.

According to Wiki he played 41 club games in 9 years after leaving Cruzeiro. You won’t be shocked to learn he retired aged 31 after being club-less for 4 months.
  31. Jul 15, 2019

Pocho Gayer than Marcosdeto (according to Marcos, who sh

Burrito Ortega, too lazy to play in Europe though.
  32. Jul 15, 2019

Zehner Full Member

Supports:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    To be fair, he was badly injured during his first year in Europe IIRC. He was more than just this seal dribble, he had great ball control and could dribble quite well.
  33. Jul 15, 2019

Dennis Viollet New Member

Gianluigi Lentini
  34. Jul 15, 2019

ArjenIsM3 Full Member

Phil Jones.

35. Jul 15, 2019

MisterLupus Full Member

René Higuita. There will never be another goalie like him - ever. Never a boring second - and I doubt anyone could play such a high-risk game and yet still come out on top as often as he did by pulling off some spectacular stroke of genius. Great agility, great reflexes, awesome coordination and not mention unparalleled cojones.

...but then again I guess you'd need those - if your best buddy happens to be Pablo Escobar (during the most intense time of his somewhat turbulent life even) and your personal life consists of cocaine dealings plus the occasional gig as a ransom-courier for kidnappers.

I swear - you can't make that stuff up. If you want uniqueness then dive into Colombian football during the eighties and nineties - the freedom of play combined with the general passion shared for the game often made for quite a spectacle (I believe if they'd won a World Cup the evolution of football might have looked a tag different as they definitely brought some freshness and innovations with them same as Brazil during the sixties and seventies) - and if you want a player who perhaps embodies that particular stage the most (second to Carlos Valderama perhaps) - and who's immense talent was more than matched by both his eccentricity and resolve - then watch some old recordings and allow yourself to be entertained by Higuita during his prime.
  36. Jul 15, 2019

SiRed Full Member

So not unique then?
  37. Jul 15, 2019

Revaulx Full Member

Yeah but I don’t remember Best dropping so deep pre-Morgan. I was only 12 at the time, but remember fans being split on whether it was a good idea or not; some thought it was a waste of his attacking talent.
  38. Jul 15, 2019

mancan92 Full Member

Muller. Looked and plays nothing like a footballer but somehow is one.
  39. Jul 15, 2019

I_live_cement Cat freak

:lol: I can't think of any other player that's had so many hilarious moments on a football pitch.
  40. Jul 15, 2019

Stacks Full Member

Zlatan. So agile for his huge frame with his bicycle kicks