The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills

Snitch
So is the bloody manager!!
Conveniently forgotten we have the highest paid manager in the league. The man spent the entire first half of the season trying to squirm the club into giving him a new contract, while the likes of Guardiola waited until the summer.

The Real Treble 99

For all Mourinho’s bad points, with the players we have, we should be blitzing lower teams even if we had a 5 year old in charge. The players need to cop themselves on and if they don’t want to play for Mourinho fair enough, but at least play for a bit of pride in the jersey.
Agree 100%. But unfortunately the fact of the matter is his lost the players & the only person who’s lost out is Jose. I said in another post, player power dominates football & gone are the days when the manager was the one. Sad that players egos are more to do with themselves than actually doing it for the fans on the pitch come match day. It was a disgusting performance actually childlike against WH where most of them just didn’t looked like they’re cared. Yes some of them clapped the fans at the end but to me that was just as insulting as their performance was. Jose has to go no doubt for the good of the club & some fans saying to get ZZ, for me that would be a disaster too. ZZ had a good outfit at Madrid but to win one major cup in one season can be put down as failure for the size of Madrid. For me we have to go back to our roots & get in the likes of Keane Giggs even call back Meulensteen & Phelan. This guys no what Utd is about the history & tradition & how Utd should be playing. There’s a great scene in the film “United” where Mr Murphy talks to young Bobby at OT. How he describes what it means to play for the club & how the players are responsible to the fans come Saturday. It’s still not late to salvage this season if only Ed & the board have the * to do something about it but they have to act now before this season becomes a complete disaster from what it already is.

RedDevil@84

He has done this at the last 3 clubs he's been at including us. It's astounding how even now some fans choose to believe that he's trying his best and is merely a victim of the evil club and players around him. :rolleyes:
It is equally astounding that some fans are completely blind to other issues at club and believe that once Jose is gone, the club administration will start doing everything correctly and players all become top notch.
There is no single problem at the club. If the management failed to find an ideal replacement when SAF left, when Moyes left and when LvG left, it doesn't make much sense to hope that the club will set things right when Jose leaves.

Eire Red United

There's a reason why the owners and Woodward didn't back Jose in the summer and give in to the signings he wanted. It's because they know he won't be here much longer.

I wouldn't be surprised if Woody and/or the Glazers have been working on a new manager behind the scenes for a while now.

There's no way they'll let this circus continue.
Just a pity that they hadn’t all of this sown up and sacked him at the end of last season rather than half doing it resulting in this shit show of a season.

Eire Red United

It is equally astounding that some fans are completely blind to other issues at club and believe that once Jose is gone, the club administration will start doing everything correctly and players all become top notch.
There is no single problem at the club. If the management failed to find an ideal replacement when SAF left, when Moyes left and when LvG left, it doesn't make much sense to hope that the club will set things right when Jose leaves.
My point exactly.

Greck

That doesn't absolve the utter shambles that is Mou though
Meant Woodward was incompetent to go into the weekend with no replacement in mind in the event we lost. The eject button on Jose's seat should have been pushed yesterday because it's now hard to sack him near the eve of a crucial CL tie. Different from Jose's own incompetence that he can't beat West ham, Derby and Wolves after spending 300m

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Very true chap, like I said I’m not trying to defend him too much, but for all his faults the players have to be held accountable too.
He makes all the decisions, he picks the team, he sets up the coaching, he is the one managing the players.

He picks fights with the media, and then uses the media to pick fights with the players. He picks fights with the fans, then after the Spurs game pathetically attempts to get the fans on his side. He picks fights with the board, he picks fights with the pundits, he picks fights with other managers, other players..The team doctor at Chelsea (Which was a disgrace)...It goes on and on. It must be toxic to work to work under the man in that type of environment.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's really sad but I think Mourinho must go... it clearly shows that our players aren't willing to accept his autority anymore.

This is the lowest Manchester United I have seen since I started loving this team three decades ago. :confused:
Did you miss the Moyes season? LvG's 2nd season?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There's a reason why the owners and Woodward didn't back Jose in the summer and give in to the signings he wanted. It's because they know he won't be here much longer.

I wouldn't be surprised if Woody and/or the Glazers have been working on a new manager behind the scenes for a while now.

Been thinking this for a few hours. It's possible a new manager and a DoF are coming together as part of a package.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I see what you’re saying, but my problem is that since Ferguson left, we seem to be becoming more like Chelsea, I for one don’t find it acceptable that players can just down tools if they don’t like the manager, it happened under Moyes too and before anyone opens that can of worms, I’m not saying Moyes should have been kept on.

My point is, when do we say enough is enough and stop sacking managers and as a club take a step back and asses where we are and where we are heading.
This manager is an infallible god who players should respect at all times to their own personal cost principle needs to be put to bed. Many were fooled into obeying this principle for too long during this reign and we have seen it under Moyes and LVG.. even Woodward has been blinded by this principle to some degree.

No other great football club holds as much value for this principle. It’s not just a Chelsea thing - Real, Barca, Bayern to name but a few, they chop and change managers rapidly once they sense the manager hasn’t quite got the trust of the players. They have rarely had those very long periods of no domestic success like United have had (to the point where they’re not even competitive). United have had the biggest drop off from success, compared to other European giants and it’s because they tend to lack vision when it comes to replacing a great manager and they are not ruthless enough (in the modern era).

From now on we need to accept that even the next manager might be a bad appointment - but we accept that and we quickly change things if it is clear the manager is the issue. For me it isn’t that difficult to distinguish when it is a manager issue or when it is a player issue. When an entire squad is not performing and has downed tools as evidently as we are seeing now - and the manager has a track record for losing players - you side with the players pure and simple.

JohnnyKills

Quite simple really, isn't it. A defensive coach needs good defenders. And there aren't many around any more.

When he first came to the PL back in 2004, England alone had four amazing centre-backs (Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell, Carragher). Can we even name four amazing centre-backs anywhere in the world now?

Football has shifted so far towards the attack that those who can't coach it are being left behind. Add to that the explosion in.wages and players' power, and it's easy to see why Mourinho is struggling.

His only hope now is going to a club like Valencia, or returning to Porto or Inter. Big clubs have evolved past him.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Meant Woodward was incompetent to go into the weekend with no replacement in mind in the event we lost. The eject button on Jose's seat should have been pushed yesterday because it's now hard to sack him near the eve of a crucial CL tie. Different from Jose's own incompetence that he can't beat West ham, Derby and Wolves after spending 300m
Agreed

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Been thinking this for a few hours. It's possible a new manager and a DoF are coming together as part of a package.
I'd be amazed if they're doing anything of the sort.
I fear there's a lot worse to come first.

I'm expecting us to get through these next 2 home games with decent results, and then it all starts again with a tough game away at Chelsea.

RedDevil@84

The only way Jose is getting fired before the top 4 is gone is if players allow the team to continue the freefall a.k.a Chelsea 2015

The United

It seems that way. Jose has been showing signs of not being settled or stable enough even after 2nd season.

People talk about how the board does not back him 100% because they didn't sign any player they want. I think it is not true. They can still back you reasonably and still not signing everyone you want. Pep didn't not get all his targets. Klopp didn't either. In other jobs, boss can still back you even if he refuses to give you all resources you want to do your jobs. It also does not mean you should try to sabotage your own work to score some point.

Players might not be blameless for sure. But, if the leader is not capable of leading, it does not matter. The leader has to step down. In Jose's case, he himself fecked it up bigly. So a lot of blames are on him.

With saying all of that, I think the board will wait till December before they consider sacking him if they plan to do it at all this season.

Last edited:

TheGame

Problem is that football has evolved, requires different thinking. Jose is stubborn and cannot be bothered to change his ways. His off the field antics have continued rather than him just focusing on the football. He has been very successful but he now risks tarnishing his reputation. Instead of seeing this as a challenge he is just imploding. Results aside, the standard of football is dire.

Springfield WildCats

Jose has to go, I’m watching mike basset England manager and the press conference where Phil Jupitus makes me think of Jose situation, “the fans don’t like, the board don’t like you, the players don’t like you, he’ll even us press don’t like you”

Last edited by a moderator:

cheeky_backheel

No matter who the manager is, you need to have a quality squad to compete and we just dont have that.

One can look at the quality and quantity of players other teams have brought in, and United simply cant compare. These same teams had better squads back then but continue to improve while united squad is deteriorating. We still have Fellani, Smalling, Valencia, Young etc starting

Outside of Pogba, other recent signings are either past their peak (Sanchez and Matic) or just average to good. United need to overhaul the squad and inject young and top quality talent. Two decades ago, the likes of Kane would already be in red

Of course, Mou has made it worse with his usual childish tantrum he throws when he doesnt get his way. On the field he is trying to compensate for lack of defensive quality with numbers but that never truly works. But to sack him when you have not really given him much to work with is not going to magically fix anything.

Modern day football is not a profit making business. To win immediately you need to invest astronomical amounts, otherwise you do a very slow build up and hope you can spot top talents early enough and hold on to them long enough. United need to improve massively in both scouting and in transfer dealing.

FujiVice

I much prefered Van Gaal to this shite. Not that I lay awake wishing the days of Van Gaal would return or anything, but seeing him start Wilson at home to Liverpool or seeing Rashford start against Arsenal after impressing midweek. His trust in youth always impressed me. He had some balls on him. Dropping Di Maria, Van Persie and Falcao. Signing Martial. Playing Lingard.

Smores

Needs a hell of a turn around to keep his job, don't see it happening as i think certain players have downed tools. Really makes you hate the lot of them

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Someone that doesn’t watch much football summed it up perfectly the other day. We are AC Milan now

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
It seems that way. Jose has been showing signs of not being settled or stable enough even after 2nd season.

People talk about how the board does not back him 100% because they didn't sign any player they want. I think it is not true. They can still back you reasonably and still not signing everyone you want. Pep didn't not get all his targets. Klopp didn't either. In other jobs, boss can still back you even if he refuses to give you all resources you want to do your jobs. It also does not mean you should try to sabotage your own work to score some point.

Players might not be blameless for sure. But, if the leader is not capable of leading, it does not matter. The leader has to step down. In Jose's case, he himself fecked it up bigly. So a lot of blames are on him.

With saying all of that, I think the board will wait till December before they consider sacking him if they plan to do it at all this season.
They can't play that game this time. They'll be forced to act as Jose is too poisonous. LVG got all the flack and never once pointed a finger elsewhere. He only opened his mouth after he was sacked. Jose will destroy everything in site whilst he's still there. They cannot allow it to continue until Christmas. To go on any longer means we'd be in the relegation zone.

LJJT

I’ve read with interest all the views of the last 2 days and I’m genuinely unsure how we are going to get out of this. I have to side with the minority and think we need to stick with him. We are 7 games in, there’s no one else available who is suitable, there needs to be a total lockdown on all this and sort this mess out from top to bottom. No one say anything unless ok’d to do so, stick to the company line, work hard and play our way out of this mess. The players need to know they need to shoulder responsibility and mourinho’s Going no where. blame the manager as much as we like but if your not working hard on the pitch then you shouldn’t play, end of. If that means we play lesser star names week in week out so be it.

Jazz

I’ve read with interest all the views of the last 2 days and I’m genuinely unsure how we are going to get out of this. I have to side with the minority and think we need to stick with him. We are 7 games in, there’s no one else available who is suitable, there needs to be a total lockdown on all this and sort this mess out from top to bottom. No one say anything unless ok’d to do so, stick to the company line, work hard and play our way out of this mess. The players need to know they need to shoulder responsibility and mourinho’s Going no where. blame the manager as much as we like but if your not working hard on the pitch then you shouldn’t play, end of. If that means we play lesser star names week in week out so be it.
You cannot reason with Mourinho. There's no way to correct the situation. Better to get an interim and come 10th, than stay with a toxic individual who'll have us 10th or worse, but also dragging the name of the club through the mud.

LJJT

You cannot reason with Mourinho. There's no way to correct the situation. Better to get an interim and come 10th, than stay with a toxic individual who'll have us 10th or worse, but also dragging the name of the club through the mud.
I know what you mean and I’d love Giggs or a class of 92 member to run the whole thing but I just can’t see it being realistic and if they fail we are screwed again. A random interim manager would be embarrassing. Mourinho needs reigning in as well as the players, the lot of them just keep their mouths shut, stick to the company line and stop creating the dramas and writing the media’s stories for them. This is a soap opera and our star men on mega bucks are writing it. Certain individuals are ruining this club. Time to shut up now and earn their money on that pitch. This is embarrassing the club, fans, the lot.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
So let’s get this into prospective 71% of our fan base want Ed Woodward to appoint a new manager.

Ok thanks red cafe.

Jazz

I know what you mean and I’d love Giggs or a class of 92 member to run the whole thing but I just can’t see it being realistic and if they fail we are screwed again. A random interim manager would be embarrassing. Mourinho needs reigning in as well as the players, the lot of them just keep their mouths shut, stick to the company line and stop creating the dramas and writing the media’s stories for them. This is a soap opera and our star men on mega bucks are writing it. Certain individuals are ruining this club. Time to shut up now and earn their money on that pitch. This is embarrassing the club, fans, the lot.
You can't 'reign' Mourinho in is what I'm saying. Once he gets to this point, it's complete destruction. An interim is not more embarrassing than his current behaviour. Of course there are other problems, but he's the biggest and most embarrassing at the moment and needs escorting out of Carrington asap.

Xaviboy

He really needs to go now. If we stick with him for now we have to accept he will continue selecting the wrong players and set up for each game to come. We have some big teams to play in the next coming months and we will be hammered and our misery will continue.

LJJT

You can't 'reign' Mourinho in is what I'm saying. Once he gets to this point, it's complete destruction. An interim is not more embarrassing than his current behaviour. Of course there are other problems, but he's the biggest and most embarrassing at the moment and needs escorting out of Carrington asap.
I do agree with you, but Ed Woodward now needs to show this leadership everyone keeps mentioning and he needs to reign mourinho (the employee) in. He needs to operate within very strict boundaries and keep his mouth shut for the good of himself, players and main thing- the club. They all need to, what ever happens behind closed doors can happen but on the pitch and media etc they need to get working harder than ever before and earn those millions they have robbed the club of for the past 6 months.

Roboc7

Should he stay or go is irrelevant, he is a dead man walking, even he will know there is no way back from this. Real questions are when will he go and how bad will it get before the board act.

Mourinho has already joked that board won’t sack him because of his payoff and he will have no problem putting that to the test.

John Blund

Mourinho is a cancer in our club. Funny how he slammed City with "can't buy class", when he's the least classy manager in PL.

Zidane in? Him being French could be good to fire Pogba and Martial back on track. Else - Allegri? Pochettino?

Minimalist

I much prefered Van Gaal to this shite. Not that I lay awake wishing the days of Van Gaal would return or anything, but seeing him start Wilson at home to Liverpool or seeing Rashford start against Arsenal after impressing midweek. His trust in youth always impressed me. He had some balls on him. Dropping Di Maria, Van Persie and Falcao. Signing Martial. Playing Lingard.
Amen brutha'

Status
Not open for further replies.