The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Esquire

I dont think a great deal will.The fanbase have peaked with their dissatisfaction with Jose and the club.
I think a victory will be far more interesting interms of response.
Are United still playing for Jose ?
Did they beat Valencia purely because it's a glamour tie ? etc
It would but honestly I’m not holding my breath for a victory here.
We have been seeing or hearing in the press that each game is a massive one for the club and Jose. With each game’s passing it’s become more and more obvious. I can see management’s dilemma about another change and I’m sure part of it is the Glazers not want to give Mou a pay-off. I think Mou last couple of weeks joked about that as well.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Luke Shaw on the West Ham game...

"If you want the truth I think it was honestly horrendous," said the left-back.

"We didn't look like a team that was going to beat West Ham. I think individually and as a team we were awful.

"That's not good enough. It's hard to take and we're sorry to the fans for what they saw. It was not good enough from a Man United team with all the talent we have."

"Obviously at half time there were a few words and I think it was needed," he said.

"It was a wake up and words that he's said before - we need to be moving, we need to concentrate more, we need to want the ball, we need to be playing. That didn't happen. It's disappointing and a very, very bad day for us.

"We have to look at ourselves as players. We're the ones who go on the pitch. The manager isn't on the pitch is he?

"He's there to put a team out and put a team out that he thinks can win the game. You look at our team today and we had a very strong team. No excuses. As players we weren't good enough."

Speaks a lot of obvious sense there and something that has been overlooked by most who have wanted Mourinho out for quite some time

That being said my opinion hasn't changed since the weekend before I start getting abuse

The Purley King

Luke Shaw on the West Ham game...

"If you want the truth I think it was honestly horrendous," said the left-back.

"We didn't look like a team that was going to beat West Ham. I think individually and as a team we were awful.

"That's not good enough. It's hard to take and we're sorry to the fans for what they saw. It was not good enough from a Man United team with all the talent we have."

"Obviously at half time there were a few words and I think it was needed," he said.

"It was a wake up and words that he's said before - we need to be moving, we need to concentrate more, we need to want the ball, we need to be playing. That didn't happen. It's disappointing and a very, very bad day for us.

"We have to look at ourselves as players. We're the ones who go on the pitch. The manager isn't on the pitch is he?

"He's there to put a team out and put a team out that he thinks can win the game. You look at our team today and we had a very strong team. No excuses. As players we weren't good enough."

Speaks a lot of obvious sense there and something that has been overlooked by most who have wanted Mourinho out for quite some time

That being said my opinion hasn't changed since the weekend before I start getting abuse
What he doesn't say is "why" it wasn't good enough. Because that would be a very uncomfortable answer and then he'd be straight back into Jose's dog house along with half the rest of the squad.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think he came into the club thinking he's too big for United, his actions and words since then have doubled up on that feeling since then. Now let him go out there on the back of two sackings and try to find a job that he is satisfied with. He'll have to go back to bickering for a budget to buy players.

ZAGREB RED

In the gossip column on the BBC, one piece states that Mourinho has lost patience with Sanchez and will look to offload him ASAP. Pretty laughable as Sanchez can't go anywhere til January and it is highly unlikely that Mourinho will still be here then.

Robbie Boy

Since the beginning of last season, Manchester United have dropped 30 Premier League points against Huddersfield, Stoke, Leicester, Burnley, Southampton, Newcastle, West Brom, Brighton, West Ham and Wolves alone.

VP

Approaching 73% now - how high did it go with LVG and Moyes?

Bindz

Need someone who loves the game more than himself only one man for the job god himself Cantona

WensleyMU

You mean the same players who won the FA cup for Conte in that last season?
Conte was sacked because of his power struggle with the board, complaints about not getting enough players, escalating the whole Costa issues which costs the club extra cash in transfer money and employing even more defensive tactics with a 3-5-2. No player downed tools on Conte.
Sure they didn't, it was purely coincidence that you were very poor compared to the previous season and a number of players had public spats with Conte.

van Gaal also won the FA cup despite some players downing tools in his last season.

Andersons Dietician

In the gossip column on the BBC, one piece states that Mourinho has lost patience with Sanchez and will look to offload him ASAP. Pretty laughable as Sanchez can't go anywhere til January and it is highly unlikely that Mourinho will still be here then.
Got to wonder who would even buy Sanchez and who would stump up for his wages? I’d imagine Sanchez will be here for a few years yet as I just can’t see anyone who would take him off our hands.

Got to hope tat whoever/if someone else comes in they can get him back in to some sort of form and play him through the middle as a striker or behind the strikers. I have doubts about that man being Zidane and if he is really what we need as right now I’d say we need a revolution and we probably need to do something quite drastic to just reinvigorate the club.

Minimalist

Must not be going for another few weeks at least if he hasn’t been sacked today.

And it does indeed show just how poorly we're run if so.

No other club on the planet would stick by managers like we do and yet people complain that we risk becoming a 'sacking' club. We're not in danger of that at all - we look more like mugs who'll keep failing managers for 6 months longer than needed.

Ban

This is a watershed moment, you have been converted away from blindly defending a manager who is totally and utterly underperforming. Well I'll level with you here, I think the point scoring is all coming from the 'Mourinho in' camp. They refuse to back down no matter what happens, all in the hope that things turn around and they can say 'told ya so'. I literally see no other reason why anyone would want him to stay? I mean, we are hopeless on the pitch and the negative bollox surrounding the club off the pitch is tedious and counterproductive. I wanted him and thought he would be great but I was wrong.

Aye, Carrick as an interim is what myself and others have mooted. All I know is that Jose is done. Wins in our next two games will be a papering over cracks exercise if it were to happen.
It doesn't matter where it began. It's like Messi and Ronaldo fan club. Mourinho out camp is claiming they're so bad cause the other camp is worse.

crossy1686

career ending
Many of them haven't been good enough to be fair, mostly those that Jose brought to the club himself such as Bailly, Lindelof, Sanchez, Miki, Pogba and any others I have failed to mention.
Agreed, they haven’t been anywhere near the standards we’d expect or he would expect, but you’ve also got to ask the question: why would you buy a fish then judge it on its ability to climb trees?
He bought players to fit a system he’s not comfortable to try.

Snafu17

Don't expect anything to happen at least until the international break. More likely until the mid-season. Quite possibly until the end of the season.

FireballXL5

Knowing United, they are probably using Zidane as a smokescreen and are in advanced talks with Alan Curbishley.

Snafu17

Quite the forecast.
Well yeah, the point is I'm not sure why anyone expected a sacking after Saturday. Ed has never been trigger happy.

Further more, win against an under performing Valencia and Newcastle at home and the storm dies down a bit. Which will delay the inevitable for a while more.

simplyared

Getting flashbacks regarding the day in which Jose was shown around Uniteds Training complex on his revealing.
Meeting Paddy Crerand in a small talk interview with the clubs official televised-media outlet MUTV.
Crerand sat there in cringey fawning adulation over Jose's appointment .
And out in the car-park was the lonely bitter figure of Sir Bobby Charlton. A man who was always against the appointment of the 'special one'.

I've never felt like I was in someones else's shoes that day like I was with Sir Bobby.Putting on a fake performance for the cameras. Desperately coming across as calm ,collected and generally happy with the appointment.There was a natural respect between United's previous manager Van Gaal and Charlton. Though the air of tension between Jose and Bobby was apparent.
That day I felt Bobby was introduced to the circus of Jose Mourinho and unfortunately Manchester United,who under previous leadership wanted to distance themselves away from such drama and focus purely on the sporting matters on the field.

A little bit of Sir Bobby Charlton died that day and in hindsight you can clearly see why.
Nice post. I'm one of very few (by the looks of things) that would love to see Roberto Martinez appointed as our new manager. I'm pretty sure he would put a smile on Sir Bobby's face.

Minimalist

Well yeah, the point is I'm not sure why anyone expected a sacking after Saturday. Ed has never been trigger happy.

Further more, win against an under performing Valencia and Newcastle at home and the storm dies down a bit. Which will delay the inevitable for a while more.
Sorry, I know what you mean. :lol:

I pretty much expect the same.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Let's bring Zidane, what can go wrong. If he made it that Madrid team he can surely make it with us. Xoxo
<3
We'll just sack him later in 2 years when things get tough again.

The new Man Utd, where players have more power and leeway than the manager, enjoy it.

CM

So I don't think we should go for him just cause he's available and made a result with Madrid. That would be a lazy, safe choice, similar to last 2 appoitments.
What do you think we should do, then?

Slevs

likes to play with penises
What do you think we should do, then?
Actually giving one of the most highly successful active managers in the world the backing he deserves in the transfer market and reprimand players who actively feck up the harmony in the squad through toxic interviews since the start of the season.

CM

Actually giving one of the most highly successful active managers in the world the backing he deserves in the transfer market and reprimand players who actively feck up the harmony in the squad through toxic interviews since the start of the season.
Ah, right.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I'm not as militant as some on Jose. I was happy enough with his first two years here. Not mad about the brand of football but we at least seemed to be building some momentum.

Couple of trophies in his first year, finishing 2nd last year. I was happy for him to continue this year, maybe add a couple of players and continue to build.

Despite the lack of signings and negativity from preseason it wasn't until the last few weeks that I feel his time is up. Terrible football, terrible performances, terrible results and all the drama and how he's chosen to handle it.

The performance against West Ham sealed it for me, bizarre tactics, overtly negative and a team that looks like it hasn't a clue how to play.

I don't think its all down to Jose, but right now we're going backwards, at a rate of knots. Ultimately I think too much has gone on for him to recover the situation.

Won't be surprised to see the club persist with him for a while yet mind.

Rolaholic

We'll just sack him later in 2 years when things get tough again.

The new Man Utd, where players have more power and leeway than the manager, enjoy it.
Negative and uninspiring managers dont last long at United,boo fecking hoo.

Literally every other top club in the world switches managers about every 2 to 3 years yet aren't held back by it...

This antiquated idea of what a manager's role is supposed to be and how they should have absolute control needs to be left in the past. No modern club is ran that way and Fergie was a one in a million kind of man. Placing his ideals in the current context is unfair to everyone involved as he was truly a one off.

Expecting others to be afforded the same kind of role and power at the club is pure fantasy that only sounds good in theory

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The word "prevention" is lost on many of his supporters. What is there to gain by waiting to get rid of him when things reach a truly low point when it should be done now ?
There's nothing to gain. But the board loves hanging on to managers when any other clubs would have sacked them to prove that we're different or something.

We're only 5 points behind the fourth team in the league and the squad is more than good enough to get top four. Just make the change and get a top four spot while it's possible. But no, Woodward seems gutless.

CM

Negative and uninspiring managers dont last long at United,boo fecking hoo.

Literally every other top club in the world switched managers about every 2 to 3 years yet aren't held back by it...

This antiquated idea of what a manager's role is supposed to be and how they should have absolute control needs to be left in the past. No modern club is ran that way and Fergie was a one in a million kind of man. Placing his ideals in the current context is unfair to everyone as he was a one off,expecting others to have the same role and power at the club is pure fantasy
Why sack the manager when you can absolve him of all blame and hand him another £400m to piss up the wall?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Anyone expecting him sacked anytime soon is forgetting how long it dragged on before LVG went. It's not going to happen.

Oldyella

Anyone expecting him sacked anytime soon is forgetting how long it dragged on before LVG went. It's not going to happen.
True but they are very different characters. LVG was still respectful and tried to the end. Jose won't go as quietly. See McTominay at CB etc.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
My worry is not sacking mourinho.

But what comes after it?

What if pochetinno says no? What if zidane wants a new squad? What if martial still sulks because maybe zidane has his own idea about how a winger should play? What if we can't find a buyer for jones? What if the hypothetical scenario of we could sell half our dross and buy a new sets of player like we do in fm doesn't work? What if we languishing midtable with zidane? What if the new dof turns out to be worse? What if it turns out that it's the players that's the problem and not the 3 managers we've had? What if carrick and mckenna are actually not a very good manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.