The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapardin

He's been here for 3 games....
Sarri on the other hand, has already figured out how Jorginho and Kante should play...

I wasn't saying Fred has been bad, it's just that we haven't utilized his skills effectively. Still, I am hoping everything clicks in the game against Burnley.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sarri on the other hand, has already figured out how Jorginho and Kante should play...

I wasn't saying Fred has been bad, it's just that we haven't utilized his skills effectively. Still, I am hoping everything clicks in the game against Burnley.
He has? In the only game against anything approaching top opposition Arsenal found acres of space in areas that Kante would usually patrol and could/should have scored four or five goals against them.

We all get it. The vast majority of this place want Mourinho gone. I am one of these people. Be nice if people could hold that opinion without constantly sucking the balls of every single one of our rival managers though.

Last edited:

rollingstoned1

This needs an i don't know option . He has managed to make me indifferent at least where I cant seem to care much who and when we play even though I will probably and do intend to watch our games. It's similar lvgs last season, the football is dire and no one on the pitch can seem to give a shit. I don't even know what we can do to turn this around but will wait and see anyway.

fergieisold

There was a claim somewhere that match going fans are behind Jose. It would be good to actually get a separate poll somehow to see how the results differ!

I know from going to the games that although he has his faults we are miles better than since SAF left and yes that includes our attacking play.

Thomas A.Anderson

he never ceases to amaze me - he will do anything to get sympathy from the gullible fans.He has one card to play and that is to get the fans to feel sorry for him whilst telling everyone about his past achievements.

You can bet that Charlton and Ferguson aren't buying his bullshit - so expect him gone sooner than later unless he performs a Houdini act on the field.
People like this really piss me off. Because his team doesn't play like saint Guardiola's you feel entitled to insult him beyond the football, he's Trump, he has agendas, he's diabolical asshole and so on... If you would act like that it doesn't mean that everyone else would too.

Alex, disabled boy in pictures with Mourinho, and his father posted Youtube video of what happened in the stands and how Jose acted and it was clear that the father actually called Jose to come. It wasn't planned, it wasn't an act, father asked for Jose to come and he obliged.

I presume that Jose working in school for disabled children before his first football job in Leiria was also the first step in his great mega plan to deceive all of us?

Kapardin

We all get it. The vast majority of this place want Mourinho gone. I am one of these people. Be nice if people could hold that opinion without constantly sucking the balls of every single one of our rival managers though.
Would also be nice if you stopped assuming that people are sucking the balls of every single one of our rival managers too, eh?

FYI, I am no fan of Sarri or Klopp. Both have their own faults. But when Jose is competing against them, such comparisons are inevitable. Especially when the other teams in the Top 6 bar Arsenal don't have the problems we do.

Also, never said I want Mourinho gone, so dunno where you got that. I said he should get 5 games (or the rest of September) to turn this around and failing that, a dismissal can be justified.

Pointing out his faults doesn't mean I want him sacked. We all get it - you think you are more level-headed than the rest of us little people on this issue. So stop adopting a sanctimonious air with those who hold an opinion different to yours.

rotherham_red

There was a claim somewhere that match going fans are behind Jose. It would be good to actually get a separate poll somehow to see how the results differ!

I know from going to the games that although he has his faults we are miles better than since SAF left and yes that includes our attacking play.
As someone who has been to every game this season, bar today, and will be going to Watford and West Ham away, the notion that Jose retains the support of the match going fans is fanciful at best. In my anecdotal experience, the blame is being split three ways: a) Jose; b) the Board; and c) the players. The majority believe its one of, or a combination of a) and b), with most saying it's on Jose for breeding the negativity in the first place. Ed and the Board are structural issues though, and will need to be sorted but Jose was never the right fit for us and the longer he stays, the more likely it is he'll drag us further down.

How Jose has hoodwinked some of our fans into believing it's all the board's fault and not his is remarkable.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Would also be nice if you stopped assuming that people are sucking the balls of every single one of our rival managers too, eh?

FYI, I am no fan of Sarri or Klopp. Both have their own faults. But when Jose is competing against them, such comparisons are inevitable. Especially when the other teams in the Top 6 bar Arsenal don't have the problems we do.

Also, never said I want Mourinho gone, so dunno where you got that. I said he should get 5 games (or the rest of September) to turn this around and failing that, a dismissal can be justified.

Pointing out his faults doesn't mean I want him sacked. We all get it - you think you are more level-headed than the rest of us little people on this issue. So stop adopting a sanctimonious air with those who hold an opinion different to yours.
How am I more level-headed when I want him gone and you (or so you claim) are being more patient than me?

There’s nothing sanctimonious about what I’m saying. I just think it’s silly the way people form conclusions so quickly. Be that those who wanted Mourinho gone after the first six months, or those who think Sarri has already sorted out Chelsea. Sometimes these hasty opinions are proved correct over time, often not. Whatever, why not give it more than 3 or 4 games from this season to declare any new manager a success or failure?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Third-season syndrome: how José Mourinho slumped at Madrid and Chelsea

Poor results on the pitch reflected the Portuguese’s increasingly fractious relationships off it, and it seems to be happening again at Manchester United
By Sid Lowe and Dominic Fifield

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ourinho-real-madrid-chelsea-manchester-united
Was evident from the 2nd half of last season that he was getting the 3rd season 'syndrome'. Should have got shot of him immediately, even with the stupid contract extension.

The man can't help himself.

beedoubleyou

This seems to come from his name getting sung once or twice a match and some tourists sticking around for photos near the tunnel.

Alabaster Codify7

Was evident from the 2nd half of last season that he was getting the 3rd season 'syndrome'. Should have got shot of him immediately, even with the stupid contract extension.

The man can't help himself.

The contract extension was yet another example of us being a reactive, not a proactive, club.
Rumours of PSG.....extend his contract. No thought going into anything we do.

Minimalist

Can’t obviously be fcuked with him but hope he manages a win today. Complete fecking disaster to start with less than 2 wins from 4.

Mainoldo

The contract extension was yet another example of us being a reactive, not a proactive, club.
Did he not deserve to be rewarded?! We only gave him a year extension. I think your wrong here.

Minimalist

Did he not deserve to be rewarded?! We only gave him a year extension. I think your wrong here.
Season was problematic though despite finishing 2nd and at the time, (I think) that wasn’t even looking likely. I was personally bemused at it because the football was awful even then.

I mean the same ‘deserving’ argument could be made for Van Gaal for winning the FA Cup.

Kapardin

Whatever, why not give it more than 3 or 4 games from this season to declare any new manager a success or failure?
If the slump continues in the next 3-4 games, he should be sacked to salvage the season. He is not the only problem we have, but he does add to the problems.

If he manages to grind out wins playing in the same lethargic manner as we have been doing without improvement, keep him till end of the season, get Top 4 and then let him go. Three years is more than enough of this shit.

If he genuinely manages to revitalize the team and gets them playing with a specific vision and direction, and/or wins PL or CL however unlikely that may be, extend his contract.

This is my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Mainoldo

Season was problematic though despite finishing 2nd and at the time, (I think) that wasn’t even looking likely. I was personally bemused at it because the football was awful even then.

I mean the same ‘deserving’ argument could be made for Van Gaal for winning the FA Cup.
What are you talking about we was second had champions league and the Fa cup whilst had Martial in the form of his life. It went downhill as soon as Sanchez got a run of games, Spurs schooled us and then obviously Sevilla. I’m sure if he had seen out the season he wouldn’t have got that contract extension. But all if’s and buts because if we got knocked out in the semis was 5 points off City even with playing the same football the fans would have been irate we didn’t give him the contract ‘he wanted’ which meant he would now be at PSG.

Minimalist

What are you talking about we was second had champions league and the Fa cup whilst had Martial in the form of his life. It went downhill as soon as Sanchez got a run of games, Spurs schooled us and then obviously Sevilla. I’m sure if he had seen out the season he wouldn’t have got that contract extension. But all if’s and buts because if we got knocked out in the semis was 5 points off City even with playing the same football the fans would have been irate we didn’t give him the contract ‘he wanted’ which meant he would now be at PSG.
I genuinely don’t understand what you’ve wrote there (your point).

Where we playing brilliantly when he got the extension? Because I definitely remember opposition to the idea.

Mainoldo

I genuinely don’t understand what you’ve wrote there (your point).

Where we playing brilliantly when he got the extension? Because I definitely remember opposition to the idea.
What does playing brilliant have to do with this arguement. We was in a good position second to only Man City. Did he not prove he was the best manager for the job? Go google when he signed that contract this is probably why you don’t understand the point.

Minimalist

What does playing brilliant have to do with this arguement. We was in a good position second to only Man City. Did he not prove he was the best manager for the job? Go google when he signed that contract this is probably why you don’t understand the point.
No? :lol:

What had he proved?

And why do you keep saying ‘we was’?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Indeed. Even I knew the bastard was bluffing on account of him doing just as recently with Chelsea.

Even then, it was a mistake, you don't back him, then get rid. I'm tired of the drama.

Mainoldo

No? :lol:

What had he proved?

And why do you keep saying ‘we was’?
So if he finished second, 6 points behind City got knocked out by Madrid for instance in the Champions League you wouldn’t be angry he left us for PSG for relatively cheap?

Minimalist

So if he finished second, 6 points behind City got knocked out by Madrid for instance in the Champions League you wouldn’t be angry he left us for PSG for relatively cheap?
There was absolutely nothing suggesting that was going to happen though.

I say it again, unless I’m losing my memory, people were frustrated with how poor the football was. Doesn’t matter what he was getting in terms of results. And in the end, we finished a record amount of points behind the winners, lost the FA Cup final, lost a league cup semi to a championship side and got put out of the CL to a crap Sevilla side.

So beyond the time period, did he deserve the extension? With the added shite football, not for me. Hardly doing that on a shoe string budget either.

Mainoldo

I say it again, unless I’m losing my memory, people were frustrated with how poor the football was. Doesn’t matter what he was getting in terms of results. And in the end, we finished a record amount of points behind the winners, lost the FA Cup final, lost a league cup semi to a championship side and got put out of the CL to a crap Sevilla side.

So beyond the time period, did he deserve the extension? With the added shite football, not for me. Hardly doing that on a shoe string budget either.
So your telling me a 12 point gap has never been closed?

You predicted a defeat to a team Sevilla’s level?

Signing Alexis Sanchez meant the team would not improve?

Because these ‘were;)’ the only factors that have turned a lot of Mourinho doubters.

All the stuff you quoted happened after the contract extension not before so they had no factor into giving him his new extension. As I said earlier google when he signed the contract. As far as the rubbish football.. that was a media narrative which fans didn’t care too much about and probably would accept if we was successful but unfortunately this is not the case.

Minimalist

As far as the rubbish football.. that was a media narrative which fans didn’t care too much about
I’ll bow out here. I’m not that in that bizarre bubble of United fans I’ll happily admit.

I have fecking standards.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
If the slump continues in the next 3-4 games, he should be sacked to salvage the season. He is not the only problem we have, but he does add to the problems.

If he manages to grind out wins playing in the same lethargic manner as we have been doing without improvement, keep him till end of the season, get Top 4 and then let him go. Three years is more than enough of this shit.

If he genuinely manages to revitalize the team and gets them playing with a specific vision and direction, and/or wins PL or CL however unlikely that may be, extend his contract.

This is my opinion. Feel free to disagree.
I agree with all of that. I just think the latter, more optimistic scenario is unlikely. Based on his career to date. I do prefer being optimistic though. So won’t rule it out completely.

Mainoldo

I’ll bow out here. I’m not that in that bizarre bubble of United fans I’ll happily admit.

I have fecking standards.
I’ll give you that and respect you if he won the league playing the way he does and as a fan you still wasn’t content for that reason.

Me personally I would have been happy for change even if he did when the title. But I find stuff like that hard to believe when we are surrounded by a bunch of fans who backed David Moyes just because SAF said we stand by our managers. But you might just be like me.

Minimalist

I’ll give you that and respect you if he won the league playing the way he does and as a fan you still wasn’t content for that reason.

Me personally I would have been happy for change even if he did when the title. But I find stuff like that hard to believe when we are surrounded by a bunch of fans who backed David Moyes just because SAF said we stand by our managers. But you might just be like me.
Nah I wasn’t backing Moyes back then. :lol:

One of the best days I’ve experienced when he was finally booted.

Nikelesh Reddy

The people running our club don’t care about the style of football.I think our supporters need to get their heads around this fact...If style of play was so important than the board would not have appointed Mourinho.They would have sacked LVG earlier and they would have gone for Klopp...Or they would have done everything to bring Pochettino to the club(Guardiola was never attainable)...

Mourinho was appointed because he could get the team back into the CL and he would eventually win the league.The latter isn’t even remotely on the horizon right now,but if we finish 4th this season,Jose will get another season.I am a 100 percent convinced..

The owners and Woodward have clearly demonstrated the factor that they consider before they sack a manager.And the factor is simple-failure to qualify for the CL.Moyes was sacked as soon as he failed to qualify for the CL and LVG was ruthlessly sacked despite winning the cup because he finished 5th.

If style of play was so important LVG would have been sacked after his 1st season...If style of play was so important Jose would never have been appointed in the first place.If we finish 4th,Mourinho stays...If we fail to qualify for the CL,he”ll be gone...As simple as that...

Minimalist

The people running our club don’t care about the style of football.I think our supporters need to get their heads around this fact...If style of play was so important than the board would not have appointed Mourinho.They would have sacked LVG earlier and they would have gone for Klopp...Or they would have done everything to bring Pochettino to the club(Guardiola was never attainable)...

Mourinho was appointed because he could get the team back into the CL and he would eventually win the league.The latter isn’t even remotely on the horizon right now,but if we finish 4th this season,Jose will get another season.I am a 100 percent convinced..

The owners and Woodward have clearly demonstrated the factor that they consider before they sack a manager.And the factor is simple-failure to qualify for the CL.Moyes was sacked as soon as he failed to qualify for the CL and LVG was ruthlessly sacked despite winning the cup because he finished 5th.

If style of play was so important LVG would have been sacked after his 1st season...If style of play was so important Jose would never have been appointed in the first place.If we finish 4th,Mourinho stays...If we fail to qualify for the CL,he”ll be gone...As simple as that...
I think that’s true. I just wish it wasn’t so black and white.

The only thing I’d offer up is that Ed seems obsessed with our online social media (twitter etc) and there’s no way that end of things is positive about United or their performances right now. Maybe he’s happy with United being labelled a ‘Rich Stoke’ by most football followers but I doubt it.

Mainoldo

If we finish 4th he’s gone too. They only sacked Moyes and LVG when they did because not qualifying for the CL means less of a pay out. Yes they are still money men. However if you believe they don’t have a blueprint how they expect the club on a football side to be run your abit naive. I mean they could have kept LVG and gave him more funds to improve the squad if they wanted to. We only lost out to 4th on goal difference and he was promoting youth. The sacked him because them across the road just got Pep and we needed to show signs we had the same intentions. So we signed Mr Successful, I’m sure they was well aware he was everything United didn’t stand for which is why they even had him presented with Sir Bobby Charlton for good PR. The guys above us are not stupid, the only problem is their risks have not paid off and we are starting to run out of patients. The next appointment has to tick all the boxes.

Nikelesh Reddy

If we finish 4th he’s gone too. They only sacked Moyes and LVG when they did because not qualifying for the CL means less of a pay out. Yes they are still money men. However if you believe they don’t have a blueprint how they expect the club on a football side to be run your abit naive. I mean they could have kept LVG and gave him more funds to improve the squad if they wanted to. We only lost out to 4th on goal difference and he was promoting youth. The sacked him because them across the road just got Pep and we needed to show signs we had the same intentions. So we signed Mr Successful, I’m sure they was well aware he was everything United didn’t stand for which is why they even had him presented with Sir Bobby Charlton for good PR. The guys above us are not stupid, the only problem is their risks have not paid off and we are starting to run out of patients. The next appointment has to tick all the boxes.
I disagree,although I can also see your point...LVG failed to qualify for the CL,that’s the bottom line...It doesn’t matter whether he missed out on GD or whether he was 20 points behind the 4th placed team.And,more importantly,he was also sacked because a 3 time Premierleague champion was readily available to join us.

Mourinho was a clear upgrade on LVG,but if we finish 4th and secure CL football,will the board sack him?I seriously don’t think so...Which manager in the world is a clear upgrade on Mourinho?Pochettino will have 4 years on his Tottenham contract next summer,and there’s no way in hell that Levy would let him join us....Most of the other options aren’t an upgrade on Mourinho...If we qualify for the CL,Jose stays...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I disagree,although I can also see your point...LVG failed to qualify for the CL,that’s the bottom line...It doesn’t matter whether he missed out on GD or whether he was 20 points behind the 4th placed team.And,more importantly,he was also sacked because a 3 time Premierleague champion was readily available to join us.

Mourinho was a clear upgrade on LVG,but if we finish 4th and secure CL football,will the board sack him?I seriously don’t think so...Which manager in the world is a clear upgrade on Mourinho?Pochettino will have 4 years on his Tottenham contract next summer,and there’s no way in hell that Levy would let him join us....Most of the other options aren’t an upgrade on Mourinho...If we qualify for the CL,Jose stays...
I have to ask, is it the 4th place that matters or the CL qualification?

AlwaysRed66

After announcing old bog brush is starting the game instead of Fred, I have change my vote to giving him time to getting on his bike. It is quite clear this moron has no intention of even trying to play even decent football.

DownRiver

The only reason there was not nearly as much uproar from the loss of the game Vs Tottenham was because of the attaching 1st half performance. If Mourinho goes back to to his safe mode and play dull football and lose Vs Burnley, then there is nothing to fallback on.

It's also interesting that in the under 23 game he attended, Mckenna and Carrick were not sitting next to him, when they should be considering they should be influencing him tactically.

Alabaster Codify7

After announcing old bog brush is starting the game instead of Fred, I have change my vote to giving him time to getting on his bike. It is quite clear this moron has no intention of even trying to play even decent football.

I know. I'm now feeling the same. He drops our new £50m midfielder who apparently was going to be the missing link in starting our 'attacks' and puts Fellaini in there to play long-ball football. Get rid of him, the man is a spent force - the game has passed him by, he's no longer capable of keeping up with the new, more modern approaches of his rivals.

AlwaysRed66

The only reason there was not nearly as much uproar from the loss of the game Vs Tottenham was because of the attaching 1st half performance. If Mourinho goes back to to his safe mode and play dull football and lose Vs Burnley, then there is nothing to fallback on.
Trouble is it wont even help him much if he wins playing dreadful football, as I think fans have had enough, & want to know why all our rivals are playing attacking football, which at the end of the day is the best from of defence. SAF knew that.

Status
Not open for further replies.