The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EasyE

It's the same thing as it was with Moyes and Van Gaal - wait until mathematical chances for a top 4 finish are lost so Mourinho can get a lower severance pay.

Can't really find any other "logical" explanation as I don't think even Woody is that deluded to believe Mourinho can turn it around.
I think that too - and then i think with my business cap on. Let's say his compo is worth 5-8million, and it may be even more with that daft renewal. Is this season still salvageable? If we say yes.. then is the CL pay out and Adidas sponsorship money (plus all the added benefits of retaining and attracting players) not worth binning him for? Can we not just under write this sack as a friggin investment and at least have a go under another manager. Heck - i just feel like we are sat waiting until next season. What a long wait. What a waste. There is ZERO positives to be had. It's shite. And frustrating.

Minimalist

I wonder what's in these managers' contracts. If I spoke about my employers the way this guy has, I doubt any law would save me from the sack. He's also hurting the 'business' so how on earth would we still owe him a huge payout?
Frankly I've been wondering about this since the summer. The way he moaned his arse off in the summer about transfers to me was something I thought in any other line of work he'd be told to feck off.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I think that too - and then i think with my business cap on. Let's say his compo is worth 5-8million, and it may be even more with that daft renewal. Is this season still salvageable? If we say yes.. then is the CL pay out and Adidas sponsorship money (plus all the added benefits of retaining and attracting players) not worth binning him for? Can we not just under write this sack as a friggin investment and at least have a go under another manager. Heck - i just feel like we are sat waiting until next season. What a long wait. What a waste. There is ZERO positives to be had. It's shite. And frustrating.
Unfortunately we are now just a business. I've said it before but if there's one thing Ed and the Glazers will have worked out it's the money side of things although they could obviously underestimate long term effects. From their point of view:

- The payoff is rumoured to be £20m+ (our profit before tax last year was 'only' £26m).

- Bookies give us a 1 in 6 chance at best of making top 4 (so it's probably higher in reality). So will the Glazers 'gamble' £20m+ for a roll of a dice?

- Player wages likely have a reduction factor with no CL and will save on other bonuses.

- I believe the Adidas deal only reduces after 2 years absence from the CL (I might be wrong)

- We have maybe 3 players worth worrying about losing. Given that we pay so much they likely won't leave. We might get big fees in the summer if they do. We might reinvest that money well/probably not.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Frankly I've been wondering about this since the summer. The way he moaned his arse off in the summer about transfers to me was something I thought in any other line of work he'd be told to feck off.
I'd really like to know how it works. Would love for Football Leaks to show us an example of a manager's contract.
We've also got lawyers, so why aren't we utilising them in this instance? There must be something unique in a manager's contract for so many to fail and yet leave with a big payout.

It seems it's not only players who need a salary cap and/or mostly performance based contracts. Both parties need to be held accountable imho.

Paul_Scholes18

Zidane in and Mourinho out I think could work well. Zidane could certainly motivate the players and add some confidence to the squad.

Andersons Dietician

This decision in isolation could be forgivable but it's not his first bad one. We've been in slump since he took over us and that has to be factored into this.
Let’s face it that first summer with Moyez, that was an absolute disaster but after that I feel like he’s done an alright job. Like I said I’d never have appointed Jose but I could understand why he did that and until this summer seemed like he gave Jose everything he wanted.

We just found ourselves in a load of trouble with SAF leaving and Gill at the same time and then a novice been given the reigns to handle which was always going to be a very tricky patch for the club which I was braced for but by now I thought we’d be back on the straight and narrow, have an identity and a direction sorted. Hopefully soon.

Irwin99

Remember him saying that he came here and discovered a ‘sad club’? He’s made it a hell of a lot sadder. A bad fit from day one.

croadyman

Amazes me that the % has dropped down to 74%, you would think it would be in the 80's by now

Fracture90

I honestly don't believe the board is keeping him, biding their time for when it's cheaper to sack him, that's just a very bad piece of business, considering the money we'd lose if we don't qualify for the CL next season.

I think they still believe he could change things around and reach top 4, or they're looking for an immediate replacement again going on the business criteria approach - the shiniest CV available. Also I do believe Zidane has turned us down.

midnightmare

For those that are still defending Mou and saying he should have had more funds and more players and blah-de-blah, here's a bit of a refresher:
Jose Mourinho saying he believes he'll challenge for the title in 2017-18.

Here's a handy excerpt:
"In many ways, it is my team. In terms of the squad, this is my second transfer window. I was thinking, three transfer windows, I need that. But after two windows I have a good group and a football club much better equipped. We are much better organised in the areas that support the first-team squad. We are much better organised at every level. So we will go for it this season. We are going to try to win the title."

So last season, it was his squad and he felt it was fit for a title challenge. Add Sanchez, Dalot and Fred since then (while no challenger has made anything close to this kind of investment) and suddenly we're a squad that he feels doesn't even have the quality to be Top 4 without a miracle (his words, not mine).

I have absolutely no idea how anyone can absolve him of any blame whatsoever - and how anyone can blame Ed for not giving him the keys to the treasury.

Dr. StrangeHate

If he had any decency he would walk away and resign but the fact he is a greedy, miserable cnut it is likely that he wants a big pay off.
Decency has nothing to do with it mate. No one is going to leave £14 million pounds payoff because they are decent.

Dr. StrangeHate

The Caf is not a representation of the fanbase.

The fans will be firmly with the manager on Wednesday.
The match going fans stand by the manager because it's what they believe a good Manchester United fan should do. Ask them individually and they wanted Jose gone at the end of last season.

Dr. StrangeHate

Unfortunately we are now just a business. I've said it before but if there's one thing Ed and the Glazers will have worked out it's the money side of things although they could obviously underestimate long term effects. From their point of view:

- The payoff is rumoured to be £20m+ (our profit before tax last year was 'only' £26m).

- Bookies give us a 1 in 6 chance at best of making top 4 (so it's probably higher in reality). So will the Glazers 'gamble' £20m+ for a roll of a dice?

- Player wages likely have a reduction factor with no CL and will save on other bonuses.

- I believe the Adidas deal only reduces after 2 years absence from the CL (I might be wrong)

- We have maybe 3 players worth worrying about losing. Given that we pay so much they likely won't leave. We might get big fees in the summer if they do. We might reinvest that money well/probably not.
Are we really? If Steve Jobs as the CEO of Apple had said iOS is a virus and Iphones are way pricier than what they offer. The only reason they sold the most last year is because I made gullible people buy them. Do you think Apple wouldn't have fired him on the spot?
I honestly don't know what we are because a business does not let self harm like this continue. Woodward is not a foolish man. All his manager appointments despite being reactive made sense at the time. I am hoping against hope that he is being proactive and looking for the best long term option and convincing them.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119

We’ve been a business for a long time, we were a bloody PLC long before the Glazers came in. Fergie used to complain about our transfer budgets being too small since the late 1990s. The focus on money has always been there. The only thing that’s lacking now is the execution, which is why we need a DOF to take over those duties from Ed.

buckooo1978

pay the man and get rid

The Glazers need to take the hit on this from their precious dividends

Woodward messed up here badly extending that contract

Relfy

I have been Jose In for a long time now but I am struggling to maintain this. After a few false starts we just look clueless. How we lined up with Matic and McTominay with what was essentially a back 5 against relegation contenders beggars belief. I can't help but think we'll be outside of the top 4 unless something drastic happens. The only way I can see us amassing enough points is if we totally release the shackles and go out and attack teams but I don't see that happening. I am happy for us to be more pragmatic against top teams and in CL, but teams struggling to survive we need to be going on the offensive and trying to bury them.

The board have a lot to answer for too. They built the structure which we all know is set to fail. They extended his contract and then didn't actively look to improve the squad as the manager they wished to maintain asked (not looking to start reviewing his purchases as this has been done to death earlier in the thread).

The board need to think what's best for the club. Do they sack the manager and try to salvage the season and have some momentum going into next season, or do they wait until we miss out on CL next season and get a quick fix for the last 2 months before an appointment in the summer? If they go for the latter then again we will struggle to get the players we want to sign, and will also struggle convincing our better players to stay and not leave for other clubs.

I honestly thought Jose was the right man for the club and was the best available candidate for getting us back to the top and competing with City and Pep. He's not performing right now, and it doesn't look as though we are likely to solve the issues that are so apparent. I feel a change for all parties is the best way forward right now and this will only be amplified if we get beat by Arsenal on Wednesday night.

Who we can appoint, and which manager would want to walk into the job at this stage of the season I am unsure. I cannot see Poch happening now or in the summer. I think the lure of Madrid will be too much for him, and Levy would rather see him go abroad over us. Zidane may help get the best out of some of the younger players and the French contingent at the club and is 'available'. Whether he fancies us or not is a different proposition though.

Whomever we go for I think we need to look at a DoF & Head Coach set up. Invest in the best available youth and promote from within with the exciting talents coming up through the ranks. Accept we are a couple of years away from a title and try to build ourselves back up, and most of all set up to attack teams.

Robbie Boy

He wants the sack, now we all want him sacked (glad everyone has now converted :)) so just fecking sack him.

Skills

Snitch

I guess sacking him counts as a loss/write off on the balance sheet too. You're basically throwing away 20m.

Buying players is different because they actually have a value attached to them even if they're underperforming. An underperforming manager is worthless.

fellaini's barber

The $20m should be deducted out of Woody's paycheck over the years. Simples,if that really is the bloody problem

Judas

Open to offers
I somehow think he'll stay as long as it is theoretically possible to reach the 4th place.
Hope I'm wrong
I'm almost certain of it. It'll take a long run of losses for him to be gone any sooner.

It's almost funny how every tweet the club makes is greeted by Jose abuse, they know exactly how the fans feel.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I guess sacking him counts as a loss/write off on the balance sheet too. You're basically throwing away 20m.

Buying players is different because they actually have a value attached to them even if they're underperforming. An underperforming manager is worthless.
I'm not an expert but I don't think he'd have a value on the balance sheet because he didn't come with a transfer fee like a player would.

The extra cost would be the £20m+ of paying his contract straight away, which is on top of paying the new manager for the rest of the year. (Wiping out a year's profit for the Glazers)

If it cost us nothing to get rid, I think he'd have gone by now.

Robbie Boy

I'm almost certain of it. It'll take a long run of losses for him to be gone any sooner.

It's almost funny how every tweet the club makes is greeted by Jose abuse, they know exactly how the fans feel.
Yeah it does seem like what will happen based on what's happened with past managers. However, we have Arsenal (H), Fulham (H), Valencia (A) and Liverpool (A) as our next 4 games. A-few bad results during that period culminating in a defeat to Liverpool will make the whole atmosphere even more toxic and a really bad showing at Anfield would put serious pressure on the board to get rid.

Fracture90

Plot twist - Woodward fed with all the jabs Mourinho was throwing at him these past couple of years regarding transfers, is now looking to expose and shame Mourinho by keeping him.

Skills

Snitch
Plot twist - Woodward fed with all the jabs Mourinho was throwing at him these past couple of years regarding transfers, is now looking to expose and shame Mourinho by keeping him.
He's a nasty individual. I reckon if someone's really interested you could dig up a lot of dirt on him.

Hoping for some football leaks expose soon.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
This is possibly what I think is going on too in addition to the not wanting to pay out to such a cnut but for the love of god - you’re responsible to the fans first and foremost and you have a responsibility to get the best out of the clubs resources at any given time. It’s not a place to be playing personal vendettas - there is a club to run and half a season to play for.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He's a nasty individual. I reckon if someone's really interested you could dig up a lot of dirt on him.

Hoping for some football leaks expose soon.
Don’t need Football leaks. The board can stop being cheap bastards and hire their own private detective. Unless he’s got naked pics of Woody:lol:

Vadim

Some of the conspiracy theories in here :lol:

What's going on behind the scenes isn't that exciting I'm afraid - of course the following is just my opinion:

All of our manager's post Fergie are given a contract which states the target 'TOP 4 OR SACK'. Jose has talked about the importance of Top 4 many times before, so it's definitely a clause.

Woodward and the owners will currently be looking at potential candidates post Jose. They're not as stupid as we all like to make out. They'll know his time is coming to an end and won't fire him until it's mathematically impossible to qualify for the CL next season (see Moyes' sacking.) Sacking Jose this way willl be far cheaper and it also makes us look like a club that gives managers time, an image Woodward and the club seem proud of.

It IS that simple I'm afraid. I want Jose out. But it won't happen before that unless he does something ridiculous like leave a big turd on Woodward's desk. And even then I reckon we'd still give him until the contract clause isn't met.

It's a waiting game now. And it's pointless sacking him, rushing out to get Conte (Jose mk.II) and be in the same boat next season.

I've said it before - Top 4 is the worst thing that can happen to us this season. It will ensure that the owners think they can stick with Jose, Jones, Smalling, Fellaini, Young, Lukaku etc for another few years. It must not happen. We must finish 6th-10th for the long term health of the club.

BlueHaze

Some of the conspiracy theories in here :lol:

What's going on behind the scenes isn't that exciting I'm afraid - of course the following is just my opinion:

All of our manager's post Fergie are given a contract which states the target 'TOP 4 OR SACK'. Jose has talked about the importance of Top 4 many times before, so it's definitely a clause.

Woodward and the owners will currently be looking at potential candidates post Jose. They're not as stupid as we all like to make out. They'll know his time is coming to an end and won't fire him until it's mathematically impossible to qualify for the CL next season (see Moyes' sacking.) Sacking Jose this way willl be far cheaper and it also makes us look like a club that gives managers time, an image Woodward and the club seem proud of.

It IS that simple I'm afraid. I want Jose out. But it won't happen before that unless he does something ridiculous like leave a big turd on Woodward's desk. And even then I reckon we'd still give him until the contract clause isn't met.

It's a waiting game now. And it's pointless sacking him, rushing out to get Conte (Jose mk.II) and be in the same boat next season.

I've said it before - Top 4 is the worst thing that can happen to us this season. It will ensure that the owners think they can stick with Jose, Jones, Smalling, Fellaini, Young, Lukaku etc for another few years. It must not happen. We must finish 6th-10th for the long term health of the club.
And the owners didn't realize 50 years ago those players you mentioned are not good enough? You are fooling yourself if this is what you genuinely think. The owners and Woodward are absolutely clueless and the long term health of the club is going to continually get damaged untill the charlatans f off.

Bestofthebest

Why is everyone worried if we get top four or not? I'm more concerned about not being in the bottom four. I think Jose is on his way out regardless of where we finish but only the timing is not yet clear. Yes, it may rely on mathematics of being unable to reach top four but that should be cleared up by end of January 2019 on present form.

More interesting will be waiting to see if any funds are given to him in the next window and if so how much, this should give a clearer indication of how near to the door he really is.

sam147

Get him out and get Woodward out. He is the festering disease that gave him the contract. The glazers are leeches but they have invested a lot of money. The point is it hasn't been invested corrently because that bigheaded prat thinks he knows 'football'. If we had a proper DOF in place from the start who didnt get exorted by every agent and signed players he knew were fit to wear the badge then we wouldnt be in this place. Jose is to blame as well but it would be significantly easier to get rid of him if we had a consistent plan going forward. Now what? We sign a new manager who wants to play football without a rugby player in strike? So we sell 75million Lukaku

RedorDead21

Why is everyone worried if we get top four or not? I'm more concerned about not being in the bottom four. I think Jose is on his way out regardless of where we finish but only the timing is not yet clear. Yes, it may rely on mathematics of being unable to reach top four but that should be cleared up by end of January 2019 on present form.

More interesting will be waiting to see if any funds are given to him in the next window and if so how much, this should give a clearer indication of how near to the door he really is.
Why? We already know Jose does not have final say on transfers to perhaps we'll get a player in they both agree on. I imagine the spurs defender could be one if the price is right.

beedoubleyou

He's got to go now.

Enough with Zidane though. You can't take away his three European Cups, but he's not the man to turn around a mess like United. I don't think he'd even want the job. This isn't a Pep Guardiola warm bath situation that the next guy is climbing into, this is a real challenge.

EireRed_GS

Why? We already know Jose does not have final say on transfers to perhaps we'll get a player in they both agree on. I imagine the spurs defender could be one if the price is right.
I imagine Toby is looking at our situation and Jose at the minute and thinking... "F*ck that"

Status
Not open for further replies.