The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

At this start of this season, I honestly felt we would be title challengers, after Jose improved us in his first two years. Yes, some performances were garbage last season, but we were mentally strong and well organised; a platform to build upon. The summer transfer shambles worried me, but not excessively so. However, what we've seen in 2018-19 so far is a train wreck of a club, and not all the blame lies at Jose's door. That said, it's obvious that relationships have broken down and we need to seriously think about a fresh start.

I don't want to be a panic merchant who demands managers be sacked every five minutes, but it's very hard to see a way back for Jose at this point. Swallow our pride, pay him off and approach Spurs about Poch. We can't carry on like this.
The writing was on the wall in preseason. We handled this situation horribly and wrote off the whole season before it started. Once we decided his targets weren't worth the money, we should have terminated his contract and got a new manager to start season with and all parties would have been happy and the season would have looked different, but now here we are

The writing was on the wall in preseason. We handled this situation horribly and wrote off the whole season before it started. Once we decided his targets weren't worth the money, we should have terminated his contract and got a new manager to start season with and all parties would have been happy and the season would have looked different, but now here we are
On the poll in this thread, I voted for the not yet option a couple of months ago. I have to admit I would now vote yes; his time is up. Things are getting worse not better.

Last edited:

el3mel

On the poll in this thread, I voted for the not yet option a couple of months ago. I have to admit I would now vote yes, his time is up. Things are getting worse not better.
I started on not yet but my vote has been yes ever since WHU game. Mourinho doesn't know when to quit nicely. Once he broke off with Ed on his targets he turned the full season to a big war between him and Woodward and it's costing the team. All his selections of lineups are just to prove a point. We should have never entered the season wih him as a manager once we decided his targets weren't worth it.

shahzy

You guys will torture yourself all season long.

He's not getting sacked until it's mathematically impossible to get top 4.

It's a joke, farce, etc.

That's just how we operate unfortunately. Any other top club would have sacked him by now.
Its actually a joke. Laughing stock of a club really. Then they will spin it as some holier than thou we support our manager spiel. Absolutely detest every single board member at the moment

Last edited by a moderator:

Canagel

He started the negativity in pre season. Make no mistake. Telling the US supporters to stay away and wasting no time in absolutely hammering the squad especially the younger players. The Bayern Munich game is still fresh in my memory . A complete waste of 2 hours of my life. Even in a game with no stakes he isn't willing to try something different. 10 men behind the ball and let's try and nick something. Trying to actually improve the team was not his priority as the majority of time has been spent moaning and getting excuses in from the first game. Maybe if he'd embraced the challenge after not getting his CB and took it as a opportunity to instill a bit of belief in the rest of his defenders and team the outcome would've been different. He has caused the downfall this season by himself.

soccergirl

Supports
Italy national team
Read this in ESPN.com
Woodward is not the man who will rule on Mourinho's fate, although he would be responsible for breaking the news, if or when the end comes. The ultimate decision lies with the club's owners, the Florida-based Glazer family, and specifically co-chairman Joel Glazer, who speaks to Woodward on a daily basis about events at Old Trafford, on and off the pitch.
So how to get this Glazer family, especificly Joel Glazer to sack Mourinho?
I want to see Mourinho leave, for his own shake. All these stress and headaches as a coach in Man United, it better that he go. The players, himself, the fans, ALL can be happy. It the only solution.

I think Mourinho will leave at the end of the season. The club is not giving him anymore money to spend on transfer, no money for him to buy players. Perhaps they in the process of looking for the new coach, and to them the best is to wait till the end of the season before announce.

Last edited by a moderator:

midnightmare

On the poll in this thread, I voted for the not yet option a couple of months ago. I have to admit I would now vote yes; his time is up. Things are getting worse not better.
Why not change your vote then? The "Not Yet" and "No" votes irk a lot of people going by the posts (me included).
For the record, I too started this with a "Not Yet" vote; was shocked by the pre-season negativity, but stuck around. 3 weeks later (before WHU I think), I changed to the "Yes" camp.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Asking for Conte the toxic defensive manager and Allegri the coward who admits he doesn't do attacking tactics because It's "up to the players"

Some of you have no shame.

If Jose is to go at least bring someone DIFFERENT.

Robbie Boy

:lol: At any mentions of Conte. He's just another version of Mourinho: An utter tosser who plays horrendous football.

Skills

Snitch
:lol: At any mentions of Conte. He's just another version of Mourinho: An utter tosser who plays horrendous football.
I'd have him till the end of the season. Solely as an interim I can't think of a better option on the market.

Robbie Boy

I'd have him till the end of the season. Solely as an interim I can't think of a better option on the market.
I can't stand him so to be honest, I would actually rather stick with Jose until the end of the season if he was the only viable option.

Patrick08

Any interim has to play attacking football when the team gets the ball to make any difference and have a chance at top 4.

Fracture90

Who is regressing? They're playing at the same levels as before, if not better. Once again you are basing your opinion on the assumption that the players are better than they are. This is the 3rd manager with these players, and let's not forget all the deadwood that was already sold. Are you seriously making an argument that Pep would be breaking EPL records, or that Liverpool would be challenging for the title with the squad Jose inherited?

Look, at this point nobody can argue that things are good, because they're not. My point is that the manager(s) are not the only ones at fault; not even close. In Mourinho's case, why do you give a manager a contract extension, and then you don't let him build the team the way he wants? He's done it so many times before. Yes, people will say money was spent and players were brought in; but everybody is spending money, and the players that were brought were needed to fill the gaps in the squad, while the likes of City were buying second and third options for those positions and still outspending United.

Jose should leave because unfortunately the marriage is (probably) already damaged beyond repair, but to blame him for telling the uncomfortable truth is not right. Hopefully the second half of the season brings better results and a trophy.
How about entire team is stagnating and regressing? And once again the basis for your argument is your assumption that our players are not so good. Isn't "but hey we finished 2nd" one of the main arguments you apologists are using in order to defend Mourinho, so our squad must've been pretty good last season, eh? Hey why stop at 3 managers when some have played even under Fergie, but it changes little to nothing considering Mourinho himself has actively participated into forming this squad with his failed signings and ridiculously negative tactics. What deadwood was sold exactly? Appears to me you're again arguing with yourself because I really can't remember I've maid such claims nor have I said something that could have been interpreted in that way, but hey to do you.

Well that's rather obvious considering the basis for your entire Mourinho defense is players being crap and at fault. Everyone buys players, that's true, but when your manager is amongst highest paid managers and regularly touted as one of the world's (often the best manager) manager's then you're expecting a lot more from his signings than this what we're getting where majority of his signings are so underwhelming and flopping. City had outspent us for €100 million, but the biggest difference is them being much smarter at it with their manager actually identifying who'll be a good fit for them, unlike playing £90 million (add-ons included) for Lukaku and playing him as a target man, something he isn't very good at.

What's the uncomfortable truth he's saying in the sea of his moaning and blame deflecting statements?

Robbie Boy

How about entire team is stagnating and regressing? And once again the basis for your argument is your assumption that our players are not so good. Isn't "but hey we finished 2nd" one of the main arguments you apologists are using in order to defend Mourinho, so our squad must've been pretty good last season, eh? Hey why stop at 3 managers when some have played even under Fergie, but it changes little to nothing considering Mourinho himself has actively participated into forming this squad with his failed signings and ridiculously negative tactics. What deadwood was sold exactly? Appears to me you're again arguing with yourself because I really can't remember I've maid such claims nor have I said something that could have been interpreted in that way, but hey to do you.

Well that's rather obvious considering the basis for your entire Mourinho defense is players being crap and at fault. Everyone buys players, that's true, but when your manager is amongst highest paid managers and regularly touted as one of the world's (often the best manager) manager's then you're expecting a lot more from his signings than this what we're getting where majority of his signings are so underwhelming and flopping. City had outspent us for €100 million, but the biggest difference is them being much smarter at it with their manager actually identifying who'll be a good fit for them, unlike playing £90 million (add-ons included) for Lukaku and playing him as a target man, something he isn't very good at.

What's the uncomfortable truth he's saying in the sea of his moaning and blame deflecting statements?
No, no, no! Don't you know, that was all Mourinho's genius? I mean, he got a bunch of relegation fodder to second place which was a quite magical achievement. Now though, the players are showing their true level, which is, they are all utterly shite. Good things = Mourinho takes all the credit whereas Bad Things = Players are shite, Woodward is shite etc, but Mourinho is still the man.

BarstoolProphet

About time the negative articles starting to come out. I love every smear campaign against our brand now as it's the only language the board speak.

Fracture90

No, no, no! Don't you know, that was all Mourinho's genius? I mean, he got a bunch of relegation fodder to second place which was a quite magical achievement. Now though, the players are showing their true level, which is, they are all utterly shite. Good things = Mourinho takes all the credit whereas Bad Things = Players are shite, Woodward is shite etc, but Mourinho is still the man.
Dammit I walked straight into that one!

How silly of me not to have remembered that :(

Skills

Snitch
Any interim has to play attacking football when the team gets the ball to make any difference and have a chance at top 4.
Top 4 is done. No matter who we being we're not making up this gap and the gaps going to get bigger before Mourinho goes as we still haven't sacked him.

Our only hope is the FA Cup and putting out a decent showing in the CL (avoid humiliation at PSGs hands).

Patrick08

Top 4 is done. No matter who we being we're not making up this gap and the gaps going to get bigger before Mourinho goes as we still haven't sacked him.

Our only hope is the FA Cup and putting out a decent showing in the CL (avoid humiliation at PSGs hands).
Not yet. Half the season with a game to go and 11 points. You'd have to be a pessimist to think that it's done at this moment, but we'd need a complete tactical change with a new manager if we are to achive that.

Our team is capable of beating the direct competitors above us as well with all the tough away fixtures out of the way. We are not so bad as mourinho made us look with his park the bus tactics.

Patrick08

kr0nix

This was before the summer window, after which he started out with his whiny mood in preseason tour, when he targetted whole bunch of targets which dint make any sense, because he wants to play a certain style which does not get the best out of any player in the team.
Yeah, I'm saying that even back then it was still a minority of fans that were firmly behind the manager. The remaining voters had misgivings about his long term future here. For comparison look at the vote now, almost 80% want him out.

Farfetched

I naively thought that, this being a football club, that on field success would be of paramount concern to the owners and board as, again naively, I linked on field success and commercial success together. What an ass I am!

The current suituation will endure as long as the ‘machine’ (for it cannot be seen a football team) is producing cash and without concern of actual football results. The rapacious owners seem to have a ‘limit’ on the minimum they can skim off as long as the ‘machine’ generates more than this limit, then all is well, irrespective of the manager performance and of his belittling his own players in public.

Reactions: Niall

Patrick08

Yeah, I'm saying that even back then it was still a minority of fans that were firmly behind the manager. The remaining voters had misgivings about his long term future here. For comparison look at the vote now, almost 80% want him out.
Well I was one of them as well and had a view he won't repeat the mistakes of his past with a view that finally we could have some stability, but from there on he took a totally different route after he signed a new contract with the vision he wants the club to go in. Playing certain style to overcome our shortcomings on the pitch was right thing to do last season, but this was the season he had to plug those gaps, but he dint and he plotted his own downfall. He was desperate to land a job at a club like this, I was of the view he would understand what this club is about and adapt himself which was not the case.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Djemba-Djemba

If we sack Mourinho, only to then give it to Conte...

I mean fecking hell, we might as well shut down the club. Go from one defensive minded manager who has his teams playing dogshit negative football to another defensive minded manager who has his teams playing dogshit negative football.

Whoever the new manager is next season, HAS to be an exciting attacking manager. We've had 6 years of dull sterile football, we need something different.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Conte would be a disaster. If we appointed him it would show us once again that the club has no fecking direction.

BlueHaze

90% of the Caf would run this club better than our current ownership does and that is no joke. Every single person on this forum including the ones who still support Mourinho knows that his signum throughout his whole career was building a strong defensive unit. The time has now come where he has completely lost it even in that regard. We are leaking in goals left right and centre and it is so bloody obvious he should have gone long time ago yet here he is.

Besides it only takes a moment to look at his disgusting personality to realize he should not be representing this club, every single time he wins something it is always down to nothing but him and his "tactical mastermind" But every time shit hits the fan it never has anything to do with him, it's always the players fault. "This is not my team"

The man is a neanderthal and his career is finished. Managers like Poch, Klopp, Guardiola are all light years ahead of him, Jose these days is nothing but a David Moyes with a good cv. The biggest problem of all however are the Glazers and their puppet Woodward, I long for the day that these scumbags are gone from the club.

MyDevil

Looking at the poll, 13% thinks he needs more time? He has enough time and there is no sign that shows he can turn it around.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Conte, Simeone and Allegri should not be mentioned as contenders. You complain about how negative united have been since 2008 and then you want another pragmatist in charge - are you lot fecking mental?

Status
Not open for further replies.