The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo_Mufc

Just watched the meltdown again. What's sad is the Journos are laughing at him when he leaves the press conference.

He represents our club and we are being laughed at. I won't lie it does hurt a bit.

Red Primus

That is absolutely true. That and the very urgent and overwhelming drive that is impatience and the rise of the quick-fix.

MalcolmTucker

He hasn't lost the dressing room, I saw a group of players pressing and working hard all game - however I didn't see a team and I've yet to see Mourinho stamp any sort of style or direction in over 2 years. He's bought plenty and he's bought badly for the most part, those players out there are his and so the buck stops with him.

Sarri's Chelsea already look like a Sarri team; Klopp and Pep didn't have the best first seasons but you could see they had an identity and are now reaping the rewards.

I was apprehensive when Lukaku signed for us, he isn't a United forward and though I've grown to like him and his attitude, that fact still remains. Mourinho is not a United manager and although I was happy to get him after Moyes & LVG, it hasn't worked out.

We should be approaching Jardim or Zizou tomorrow morning.

Backrow Singer

Yes and I don’t use it lightly but are those players, playing to their potential!? So are they trying as hard as they could? The players aren’t on board with sit deep, possession is a danger, lack of ambition football. That much is bloody obvious.
I didn't see that at all tonight and in all honesty, very rarely have I from a collective point of view. I thought we tried to play, we played with pace and I thought the players had a real dig but we just have too many in the team who aren't consistent enough or good enough and we got picked off.

The issue for me is that we're poor in both boxes and the score probably highlights that. We can't finish chances off, we could have had four goals ourselves tonight had we been more clinical. Then at the other end we are an absolute disgrace, I don't know whether to criticise them or what. Shaw looks good going forward but so dodgy defensively and the centre halves are just a shambles.

Watching the goals back though, I'm livid with Herrera, second goal. For me, bottles it and pulls out which is totally, totally unacceptable and shouldn't be forgotten.

The difficult thing though is the result was 3-0 and given how the game went, that's a monumental concern.

Andersons Dietician

The LVG out thread came after months of garbage. People just wanted to race each other into starting this thread, hence why you couldn't even wait until the game ended.
This thread has been 2 years in the making.

I’m not sure right now is the time to replace him because let’s face it if he goes now it’s more than likely going to be Zidane and I have my doubts if he would be the right person. Would rather stick with Jose unless it becomes a complete farce and we are mid table. Would rather he walk at the end of the season and we take a proper crack at Pochettino than going for whomever is available.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Bayern fired Ancelotti last year despite winning 4 of the first 6 league games.

People can say "it's only 3 games" all they want, but there's clearly a lot of tension behind the scenes and it's only going to get worse from here. Might as well stop the bleeding early enough to salvage the season.
Wasn't it all but confirmed by Hoeness that 5 pretty major players colluded and said they were done playing for Ancelotti?

And yes, it is just 3 league games.

ForeverUnited93

Don’t think Mourinho is the right man to take us forward but geez I do feel for him a bit, the players are just fecking useless!!!!!

We get rid of Mou and there are still many problems, we need some quality defenders and a system that suits who we sign, at the moment it’s just a bunch of players in big money running around, no cohesion, no direction, nothing.

mancan92

Loses 2 out of first 3 games of the season and most of you want Jose out?
Harsh.

The next manager is unlikely to last more than 2 seasons if it were left to fans, we'd have a new manager every season.

Moyes. LVG. Now Jose. Who next?
Its a weird concept but that is literally how every single other club in the world works.

So yes you move until someone is successful

Bojan11

Don’t think Mourinho is the right man to take us forward but geez I do feel for him a bit, the players are just fecking useless!!!!!

We get rid of Mou and there are still many problems, we need some quality defenders and a system that suits who we sign, at the moment it’s just a bunch of players in big money running around, no cohesion, no direction, nothing.
I don’t feel sorry for him. He signed Lindelof last year when he could have got Maguire.

mancan92

Spot on, there's no magic wand here. We've got to be realistic, no one is going to come in at this moment and improve us.
They don't need to. All they need to do is have some semblance of a plan to be better than the current situation. After 2 years in the job Jose hasnt got a clue about how we should play.

edcunited1878

Wasn't it all but confirmed by Hoeness that 5 pretty major players colluded and said they were done playing for Ancelotti?

And yes, it is just 3 league games.
Yet they are still able to walk the league because they have the most talent to carry them through the domestic league. Bayern can be ruthless because they have a holistic plan where managers come and go. Compared to United, there is not comprehensive plan.

LVG had a three year deal, but after his second, knowing he was a lame duck going into his 3rd year AND with Jose available, his time was up. Jose is only 3 matches in, a year after he was given an extension.

Jose adapting to Carrick and McKenna and admitting the style of play was going to change this year wasn't going to be as smooth as some hoped, especially in a World Cup year.

First match, United were okay but under the cosh for too long and held out with a semi-make shift squad. Brighton was a clusterfeck that Mourinho shouldn't have taken any blame for. Spurs was a really mixed bag with the scoreline really flattering Spurs.

ForeverUnited93

Sadly, just replacing managers doesn’t work with us, we aren’t Chelsea where you sack one, bring in a new one and things turn quickly. 3 managers we’ve had now and it’s all been shit, 5 years of absolute shitness!!!!!!

SAF just proving why he was so good, no one comes close to him.

Pav1878

I actually think this was our best game of the season. And I also think we saw why Mourinho wanted a new defender. First Jones let Kane have all the space in the world for that first header. Then Herrera forgot he was a defender, and we have something called offside. At the last goal, both Smalling and Lindelöf proved their skill. Smalling for tackling in a situation where he should stay on is feet and control the situation. Lindelöf sure as he.. wasn't running his socks of to get in behind as a support for Smalling.

Shaw looks like he's coming back. Sanchez had a decent game when he game on. Lindgard was rather good. Pogba was below average compared to what I expect from him.

With our current squad, I can't see any manager better suited to turn this for us than Mourinho. And Mr. Woody should hit him self for not paying up for a decent defender this summer. We clearly need one.
This!

The team actually played well for most of the game. Defensive lapses yes and that is why mourinho wanted a new CB! And yes he bought lindelof and Bailly but Conte also bought bakayoko and realised he wasnt good enough and tried to rectify the situation. It happens, it's called a mistake and there isn't a manger out there who has never made one.

We played with intensity and drive in the first half and should have been 2-1 up at half time.

I actually thought we played our best game from an attack perspective tonight and could have won it if our finishing was better.

It's not a good situation right now but I don't think any one truly knows if the players are against him or not, or indeed what the board are thinking. It's all hyperbole and speculation from the fans and the media because we are the biggest show in town and that's what sells.

Lets all just get behind the manager and the team and see how it pans out. Calling for the mangers head or saying players are not good enough etc is not going to help them perform better when we need them most.

Who else out there is a sure bet? Who else has won what Jose has won?

It's depressing stuff but that's what being fan is all about, you stick but your team through thick and thin.

trafford1980

I'm not even remotely happy to say it, but Mourinho has to go. It's not solely his fault, both the board and the players must wear equal blame.

I'm fully aware that sacking him is just simply attacking a symptom of the Glazer disease but his position is simply untenable.

I actually feel for him in this moment, his post-match conference was quite uncomfortable. He seems fully aware that he's struggling in quick sand and is clinging to legacy-reminding straws. It reminded me of what a post-Office/pre-Life On The Road David Brent breakdown would look like.

He was never a fit for us and considering the rise of City, he took a huge chance on having his ego destroyed by joining our club. Manchester United was always going to be his last defining chapter and unfortunately for both him and us there's no happy ending.

I hope for the sake of our club that Ed gets in his Director of football/sporting director before his next managerial hire.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I don’t enjoy being proven right when it comes to United playing badly, but what’s being hypothesised for a while now is coming to fruition: De Gea enters an average spell and United will be shown to be the average side they are. Our defense is so poor and is conceding too many chances to the opposition that only heroic goalkeeping will save you. No side intends to create the paucity that United do or concede the glut they do.

We are now playing arguably our worst, most disjointed, least effective football post-Ferguson and I include Moyes’ tenure in that. We have nothing currently, no positives. No player is playing consistently well. No facet of our game is going well. We have no identity, no cohesion and no structure. Even under Van Gaal we at least had those things going for us: a foundation on which to build. Mourinho is accountable for all of this and has to be challenged as to why United have been lacking for all of 2018. He’s taking the team backwards. I am not alone in having no clue whatsoever in what Mourinho is trying to do, how he expects to succeed.

It is easy to preach the virtue of patience, but patience can be granted what there is something underlying, hinting at further success. An FA Cup final and a 2nd place PL finish are not these things when the performances that delivered them are so much more damning. Enjoying the success and the silverware that we have had is not mutually exclusive with questioning whether we are looking likely to continue to deliver. I wanted Mourinho here. I still want him, and any United manager, to be a success, but currently I have no grounds whatsoever for optimism. We are a poorer side than when he took over. Every individual at the club looks worse than they do when Mourinho joined or he signed them.

Our transfer business of course is not helping The signing of Sanchez looks like having the potential of being the worst signing in our history. Consider that that neither Sanchez, nor the fully capable players in Rashford and Martial that he was seemingly signed to upgrade, can currently expect to command a place in the team. No-one bats an eyelid if they are all benched. We still have a non-existent right flank. What the feck is going on. Don’t let our poor transfer dealings mask the fact that Mourinho is fully equipped to have a team performing far better though.

Sorry, but this is not acceptable. I can accept losses, I can accept setbacks, but I cannot accept consistently poor performances for the best part of a year. Performances are the best indicator of future success and they are not there and I cannot continue accept United being poorly managed on and off the field. United are headed for sixth this season, wasting a monumental amount of talent and potential. If you do not think that is a real, genuine possibility, then I urge you to look beyond the badge and look at the performances.

Funnily enough I don’t think United were that bad tonight. Spurs were clinical though and United weren’t. United have played far worse in the last 12 months and have walked away with all three points. I’m not sure that is much of a positive given that there was still a distinct lack of pragmatism, a lack of assurance, a lack of clear direction, any sense of obvious structure. United fought tonight, the dressing room has not gone, but there’s not much else there to take forward. Seriously, what from tonight are we supposed to take into the next game? Shaw was dynamic, but other than that Neville is right. It’s an utter lottery what to expect from United next week, both in terms of the lineup and in terms of the performances.

I’ll continue to support at Old Trafford, but my counsel in private is very different.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Been José out for around a year. Glad other people are coming to the same conclusion - he's a nightmare.

R'hllor

No way i am going to vote for a sack but for my own reasons. That doesnt mean i wont shit on him regarding issues i have when it comes to him as United manager.

wc18

Has to go and has to go now.
The truth is he's just a washed up, arrogant and bitter old man that the game has passed by. He represents everything that United does not. I'm ashamed that this guy is our manager...im so sick of hearing him bitching and moaning please just feck off Jose

Danny_

The Albert Einstein of Economics
Weren't a lot of people saying the same about SAF 3 years into his 6 year period before he won anything?

LolYo

He won a lot back in the day...but that was then, this is now. Times change.
Anyhow, I think he should have been gone long time ago, all the signs were there but given that we had bad experiences before we really wanted some stability and I think both the fans and the office got caught up projecting rather than facing reality. Reality is, we haven't improved a little bit since Mourinho was hired, we probably hit the peak sometime last year before the winter break but we've been getting worse since.
We made the mistake two times. Therefore its understandable so many people did really want the 3rd hire to work out and even when it seemed bad people seemd to hold onto their ideas and projections rather than facing reality. And yes, it sucks oooooooh boy does it suck to admit we got it wrong the 3rd time...
but..yes we made the mistake the 3rd time. Gotta own up to it. Sucks, I know.

0le

We may have technically made more progress than LvG, by virtue of winning several trophies and a second place finish, but actually the reality is we haven't improved by much. The one thing I will say about LvG is he at least had a vision, and whilst it didn't work out, at least a clear strategy was in place - small squad, promote youth and possession based football.

Mourinho has had quite a lot of time and we still don't know what his plan is for the team or what style of football he intends to play. It seems to change every week. Quite frankly I am astonished therefore, that 128 people have voted that he needs more time. Time for what? To continue to play football without any meaningful strategy?

AgentP

Right now, he is still safe imo. But if(when) things get worse, I hope we don't drag along till the end of the season but be more ruthless. If we are out of top 4 race by Christmas, we should sack him then. Let Carrick be the caretaker manager and we should tried to get Zidane or someone who has a fresh attacking philosophy.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I see a Mourinho out thread on here and I want to create a little home for the minority on the Caf with an opposite thread.

I don't think our situation will be rectified by sacking Jose and bringing in whoever else. I think that's seeing what's wrong with the club as being just about Jose first and foremost. It's ignoring the obvious progress we've made and wanting to start on a fourth project in just over 5 years. He's already shown he can win things. City are away from the pack clearly, they've got a brilliant manager and a squad groomed for him plus finances to improve at will. But compared to everyone else, Jose has shown - whatever you think about the style (which in my view has always been flexible mainly down to adapting to each game, sometimes appalling player's form) - he can win more games and finish higher up the table. And that with a squad that is lacking some serious balance which none of the other top teams lack.

Look at the game tonight. He makes loads of changes with some players who haven't played yet this season and he's gone with a team he trusts best. And it was evident in how we approached that first half. Loads of energy and top commitment. In the end, that scoreline flatters Spurs, though we started to crumble at the back once we got sucker punched with their second.
Those players looked to me like they were playing for the manager. And the player he's been most hard on has responded with his best United performance to date. Shaw looked better tonight than I'd first hoped he'd become.

We have Jones slipping up marking Kane, Smalling making a hash of things against Moura and Lindelof committing the worst mistake, spared total embarrassment by Dave (who reportedly has been made some derisory contract offer). Jose wanted to buy a first class centre back, think he was onto something?

We had loads of crosses in the game in great positions but they all lacked quality. That's way too often been the case, for such a long time. Jose wanted a winger, think he was onto something?

We are as totally reliant on Lukaku as Spurs are on Kane, but the difference is only one is clinical and ours isn't. 3 sitters missed in 3 games this season. Apparently Jose wanted a backup striker. If he did, he was onto something.

Every manager makes misjudgments in the market, but at the top clubs it varies quite a lot if you can afford one or two misjudgements or not. And Spurs, Liverpool and City have been building in the same direction now for years when we've had 3 different managers. I imagine a new manager will have a short-term positive effect on the morale (if Ed gets help with the decision) and then find the same problems we have with the squad now in terms of lack of quality, lack of balance and different levels of professionalism. Offering no guarantee that they'd do better, or even as well, as Jose has. And not getting the funds to really compete for major trophies.

I'm backing Jose.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The defenders are letting him down consistently.
Don't let me make a comment on lukaku...

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I'm still behind him. I haven't got a stiffy at the moment though.
Let's see what happens when all the players are back and up to fitness.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
It's easier to get rid of 1 manager than 10 players. We can't bring more players in now, we can bring more motivators in however. 3 seasons= long enough. False dawns were once every month. They're starting to show up every half now.

The Lukaku complaints are mental. United should not have to really on one guy hitting the target all the time. This club is built on goals coming from everywhere and everyone. We can't even score from open play.

JMack1234

Sacking him after 3 games would indeed be madness and I don't support it.

However, he's been in charge for 3 years now and we're not at the level of Spurs. No disrespect to Spurs at all but with the money we've spent that's not good enough.

ti vu

It's easier to get rid of 1 manager than 10 players. We can't bring more players in now, we can bring more motivators in however. 3 seasons= long enough. False dawns were once every month. They're starting to show up every half now.
The difficult part is appointing a right one which if people accept Mourinho as failure, then we don't look like having a clue in doing so. More bad manager appointment = more players turnover = vicious cycle ;)

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Anyone backing him needs to ask themselves what they are expecting in terms of results this year. Short of finishing 2nd we would effectively have gone backwards this year at which point Jose would probably be let go anyway.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Anyone backing him needs to ask themselves what they are expecting in terms of results this year. Short of finishing 2nd we would effectively have gone backwards this year at which point Jose would probably be let go anyway.
I find it hard to rail against him when the board/Ed undermined his position all summer. The senior leadership at the club is a total shambles. Sacking Jose would just make it worse as we'd lose any semblance of coherency in the backroom.

ZenMaster Coltrane

If players cannot perform at optimum levels, are afraid to make mistakes and lacking confidence then the manager takes a lot of the blame. Sorry, but JM hardly played the same CB pairing 2 games in a row last year, talked down his players in the preseason...that's not a recipe for virtuoso match-winning performances anywhere in world football.

The approach needs to be one of trying to be proactive and scoring multiple goals, putting teams under siege...not struggling to score one and hoping an unsettled back 4 can hold that lead for you.

Sentient Meat

I still think he's a brilliant manager but I'm worried about the head games and pissing contests with players that seem to be disrupting the team. I'm fine with keeping him though and thought the team tried hard although the results were poor. If we lose the next two matches maybe I'd start worrying more.

RedIke

Sacking him after 3 games would indeed be madness and I don't support it.

However, he's been in charge for 3 years now and we're not at the level of Spurs. No disrespect to Spurs at all but with the money we've spent that's not good enough.
I've seen this said many times and it's something i just dont agree with. Not at the level of Spurs? I think that's nonsense. United played Spurs thrice last year, and won two, and and they were a spot under on the table. Yes they just beat United, but the scoreline did indeed flatter. But I'm surely not saying Spurs are a level above United That's madness.

Morpheus 7

It's inevitable he's gone, more a question of when. I do like Jose overall and think it's unfair to blame him entirely for this mess. The board not backing him in the summer and more importantly the players have let him down. I find it difficult to get behind this group of players, they have no fight or pride. Seem to just give up if they go down a goal, very ununited. Too many clearly aren't playing for him unfortunately, very sad. Jose will be the one that ultimately gets the boot. The board are so reactionary it's hard to know what they will do. I think we need to judge him on the time he was here in general. He's using his last card in the fans, I ain't fooled by his comments tonight. The game hasn't changed, the players have. This use to be a game played by men, no it's fragile celebrity athletes. There is no hard grit and pride, wouldn't be shocked if they are looking for excuses to out Jose because they aren't up for the fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.