g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZlatMan

I would hate to see Mourinho get sacked right now. It's not his fault he seek to improve the team when the board is having none of it. The deficiencies is obviously there from last season, finishing 2nd ahead of better footballing sides is a minor miracle but only masked over it. If Jose only wanted Alderweirld for new CB, I don't see why the board opposed to it. He's vastly superior over all our CBs and his ball playing skills is crucial. Mourinho had a ball playing defender in all the teams he managed so it's no wonder he need one.

This is the worst team he inherited and least suited to his style of play. He done his best but it's no longer going to work.

In conclusion, fans anger should not be aimed at Mourinho, it be aimed at the useless feckers running the club.

kr0nix

This will be interesting. I bet it will be Zidane just cause he's available.
There aren't a lot of obvious choices out there unfortunately. Most of the 'available' candidates like Jardim and Zidane have their own caveats and wouldn't succeed on their own without a shake up at board level.

red4ever 79

Time is up for Mourinho. In his third season and he still doesnt know his strongest line up, still doesnt know his best system and still doesnt appreciate the Utd way of playing. Does any other team in the EPL change their CB's as much as we do?

Champagne Football

Johnny Evans? Seriously?
Ok Johnny a bad suggestion I admit but City were happy to offer close to 20 million for him about 9 months ago and he's done a hell of a lot more in the game than Smalling and Jones in the past couple of years. But Maguire at 14 million a year ago = Jose no interest. But put that price up to 85 million a year later and Jose will crawl on his hands and knees to touch Eds feet to beg

red4ever 79

I would hate to see Mourinho get sacked right now. It's not his fault he seek to improve the team when the board is having none of it. The deficiencies is obviously there from last season, finishing 2nd ahead of better footballing sides is a minor miracle but only masked over it. If Jose only wanted Alderweirld for new CB, I don't see why the board opposed to it. He's vastly superior over all our CBs and his ball playing skills is crucial. Mourinho had a ball playing defender in all the teams he managed so it's no wonder he need one.

This is the worst team he inherited and least suited to his style of play. He done his best but it's no longer going to work.

In conclusion, fans anger should not be aimed at Mourinho, it be aimed at the useless feckers running the club.
I think people's point is that he has already signed 2 CB's.

James Peril

It’s so difficult, I’m not in a position to make a ruling and the same goes for you. We just don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes, how things happened during the summer and how Martial/Pogba/Woodward are acting towards Mourinho and the team. Are we being crap because Mourinho has lost everyone, or because the board is mental?

However, and this is factual above everything else, the way Mourinho behaves in the media represents United and the fans every time. One could say his behaviour is way out of order and that he over time has brought United into a negative light. One could also say that results as well as said behaviour, is grounds for sacking him. I don’t care if our manager is chippery, just positive or plain boring, but being grumpy and negative for the sake of it brings everyone down, invites the media frenzy and kills the buzz for all supporters. If he is damaging the United-brand, which he is doing, there are questions to be answered. Must admit I only see one way out of this crisis right now, luckily I am not on the board of Man Utd.

minoo-utd

For those wanting Jose out, who realistically could come in and change things right now?

I'm not for getting rid of Jose, but I wouldn't lose sleep if he left. I just don't know what it would realistically achieve at the moment.
We still early at the season so things can be changed although I am against Jose sacking. But we still in August and we need someone to deal psychological with the players Jose is so nerve it seems and the performance on the pitch show that too.

I feel for Lindelof, he's playing like a young player who is feeling the burden of the Manchester United shirt. It can weigh heavily on players at first. He had a very good World Cup, and by all accounts was excellent at Benfica, but he looks frightened at United. Confidence is so much part of the game. You could have all the ability in the world, but, if you don't believe you can do it, you will fail. Let's hope the lad can grow into being a United player and display he ability he undoubtedly has.

ZlatMan

Two young CBs with huge potential but need guidance. We saw that against Brighton and while Smalling can be solid he isn't up to the level Alderweirld is on. Do you think we concede all these goals if Alderweirld is playing for us because these goals are basic errors. If Alderweirld was all he ask for, the board should go try get him. Let's not forget he also want a natural winger which is important for his system to become fully effective.

He want to build a team in his image but Woodward won't do it. Exactly like LVG.

POF

I really don't know how to vote on this one. The Sanchez signing was a major turning point in Jose's tenure. The team was building quite nicely and Sanchez was supposed to add the extra class in attack. Pogba was playing well, Lingard was on fire and even Martial and Shaw were in really good form.

But after Sanchez arrived the wheels completely came off, the 4-2-3-1 was vetoed by Pogba and the squad was completely unbalanced. Now, just over 2 years in, Jose has signed most of the first team but there is no cohesion in their play and the team looks shambolic at times. The lack of leadership in the team is also very concerning.

But if Jose leaves, what then? He has signed most of the team. Sell the whole first 11 and start again? It's almost worth sticking with him in the hope it improves rather than bringing in a new manager and commit another £500m to a squad rebuild. It's a very dangerous time for the club. The next move (if there is one) is extremely important to get right.

Smores

Sacking the manager who just finished second because we had a bad start, we genuinely are starting to have the worst type of fans on here :lol:

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Great thread, I know most of us here are in the minrotity but it would be madness to sack him. Stand by him for as long as he’s in that seat. Go on Jose, turn it around.
What exactly has Mourinho done since becoming manager to deserve such blind loyalty?

I support Manchester United, not Jose Mourinho and It’s become blatantly obvious that Mourinho is not the man to take this club forward. We are not progressing under him at all (a massive reason to stick with him).

Replace him now and the season is still salvageable. Wait until Christmas and we’ll be lucky to finish top four.

Beagle

Bit tired of hearing how last night was some brilliant attacking performance. I missed the first 20 minutes so I can only assume we looked like Barcelona in that period because what I watched was hardly much better than the usual Jose shite. 0-3 defeats aren’t matches to take positives from. We couldn’t even fecking score.
We ran a lot. Closed them down and forced couple of mistakes. Then when we had the ball we were clueless as usual. Lukuku missed a sitter, his passes were mostly behind his teammates. Pogba was shit, Fred looked like he was buzzing around acomplishing little the only way we could have hurt them is through the left due to Shaw. That's pretty much it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Anyone backing him needs to ask themselves what they are expecting in terms of results this year. Short of finishing 2nd we would effectively have gone backwards this year at which point Jose would probably be let go anyway.
Would take 3rd and an FA cup though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What exactly has Mourinho done since becoming manager to deserve such blind loyalty?

I support Manchester United, not Jose Mourinho and It’s become blatantly obvious that Mourinho is not the man to take this club forward. We are not progressing under him at all (a massive reason to stick with him).

Replace him now and the season is still salvageable. Wait until Christmas and we’ll be lucky to finish top four.
Well in year 1 he won two cups and brought us to the Champions League. In year 2 he took us from 6th to 2nd and actually had our best points tally and goal difference since SAF. All whilst having Fellaini Herrera and Pogba out for 2 months each and Bailey out for long term ankle surgery (fair to say he's not been the same player since as yet).

So yeah, I think il stay loyal beyond 3 games this season to the manager who has undeniably progressed our results.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I voted not yet, needs more time, slept on it and still not changed my mind. For the first time, in a long time last night we looked at a high pressing game and closing down from the front. It was good to watch, it was exciting to watch and tactically Jose got it right. What you can't compensate for are continued individual mistakes and lapses in concentration that keep happening. Jones losing Kane for the 1st goal, Lindelof being wrestled out of it when Kane put it wide from a corner in the second half.

The Problem Jose has is that the press has put out a massive bucket of bait last night and he bit big time. They have enough ammo now to go till Christmas. Moreover Jose is too honest. When he comes out preseason and says if we don't strengthen we are in for a rough start he is bang on. Pretty much all of the goals conceded this season have come from central areas where we look the weakest. You add in some players looking at least a yard off the pace if not more (Lukaku, Young, Lingard, Rashford, Matic).

Then you add in the circus of Paul Pogba. If he is not a pin up boy for the modern footballer then who is. Clearly not playing for the manager and for me if he is not playing for the manager then he is not playing for the team. None of this bull crap about build a team around him. You don't build a team around players you cannot rely on, who are not willing to put a shift in. Ultimately they are not doing it for the club or the fans What if you dump Jose and Barca come calling next year with £150m plus. He will go.

Yeah this past week has been tough, every **** who you can get a microphone under has a bad opinion about Utd. The vultures are circling but changing Jose for Zidane right now is the not the best move or the right move There is a lack of direction at the club at the top and there is a lack of leadership on the pitch, neither of which you can level 100% at Jose. If you back him with a new contract six months ago then back him with the players he needs or the positions he says he needs to strengthen or don't give him a new contract. A lot of our problems fall at Woodwards door first and foremost and Jose is still clearing up some of that mess.

donkeyfish

My concern is, against Brighton we were awful, and you could see why we lost, no real issue, happens to every big club now and again. But against Spurs, we actually werent bad, we were not the attacking force some posters have made out, but we certainly had a go, and put Spurs on the back foot for periods of the game, but we still lost that game too. If we are losing games when we play 'well', thats a big concern.

All this chopping and changing cannot be helping either. He needs to decide how he wants us to play, and stick with it for a few games, let the players actually try and develop some understanding. Personally think Lukaku needs some time out of the side, he looks sluggish and honestly, a bit heavy. Would also be happy with a Fred/Pogba/Fellaini midfield for a few games. The big oaf has actually been one of our better players each time he has come on, and Matic did not look at all ready.
I'd say games such as the Brighton one happens to everybody occasionally ,but for us it happens regularly. Huddersfield, Newcastle, Brighton last season too. And Sevilla.

drdoityourself

Sacking the manager who just finished second because we had a bad start, we genuinely are starting to have the worst type of fans on here :lol:
I refuse to be called "the worst type of fan" for giving up on him. It's of course not just because of the bad start, it's the lack of identity, lack of settled formation, lack of a settled selection, lack of development of our expensive recruitment.
The negativity that surrounds him, on and off the pitch is hurting us.
But pat yourself on the back for being a better fan.

beedoubleyou

Two young CBs with huge potential but need guidance. We saw that against Brighton and while Smalling can be solid he isn't up to the level Alderweirld is on. Do you think we concede all these goals if Alderweirld is playing for us because these goals are basic errors. If Alderweirld was all he ask for, the board should go try get him. Let's not forget he also want a natural winger which is important for his system to become fully effective.

He want to build a team in his image but Woodward won't do it. Exactly like LVG.
He's spent £400 million in three seasons and recruited two free transfers on astronomical wages. This excuse does not hold water.

Oldyella

It certainly is, and it's because we can't defend. Playing well comes to naught when conceding three goals per game. It's a massive **** up, indeed neglectful, that it wasn't sorted in the summer.
Jose should of made clear that Jones and Rojo were no longer needed and moved them out. 2 out of the door, players he hadn't signed, and would than have been justified in moving for another cb.

Smores

I refuse to be called "the worst type of fan" for giving up on him. It's of course not just because of the bad start, it's the lack of identity, lack of settled formation, lack of a settled selection, lack of development of our expensive recruitment.
The negativity that surrounds him, on and off the pitch is hurting us.
But pat yourself on the back for being a better fan.
Refuse all you want it's the harsh truth, you're turning on a manager who just finished second because of a 3 game bad start. A manager the players are evidently still behind.

The first defence on here is always "its not just the exact reason this thread was created". It's boring and transparent.

Siorac

You sure? I'm inclined to think that Ed bought him...not sure what to believe anymore.
Why the feck would Woodward want Lindelöf? I keep seeing this on the Caf and it's utterly bizarre. I'm pretty sure he didn't even know who Lindelöf was. He wasn't exactly a household name in world football, not much of a shirt seller either.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
I don’t want him sacked – I desperately want him to turn it around but I’m realistic and feel it’s only ending one way.

I think everyone can now see why he was desperate for a CB and I think it’s ridiculous that we didn’t get at least one in but his public ultimatum to Woodward has backfired spectacularly. He gambled that he would get his man but all its brought him is relentless negative coverage, publicised the unrest and publicised his lack of faith in this group of CB’s. I think he's misjudged the character and quality of some of his signings - They're not bad players but they're not the leaders his teams need.

This squad has been mentally weak for the longest time – It would fold time and again under Moyes and I think it’s plagued the team since. Characters like Zlatan being an exception. They were never going to stand up to the public berating the team is getting. They looked more motivated than ever yesterday but it was frantic and desperate as Neville said – There was no confidence or conviction – They look like a side under pressure. They’re playing for the manager but it’s almost like they feel the same inevitability we do.

I don’t think he’s close to the biggest problem at the club – Woodward is the common denominator in the post Fergie shitshow – But it’s obvious where this is heading. The next couple of away games aren’t even make or break – They’re just break. Lose either and I think he will be sacked. I expect the Pep Guardiola is my idol 2.0 to do as bad if not worse. There’s a lot wrong with this club.

Red_toad

That isn't really that good a point to make. City signed numerous defenders until they got it right, some were absolute stinkers, but they replaced them none the les quickly and efficiently. Are United fans saying everyone of Jose' signings has to work? We've not found a leader for the back line, maybe Jose thought Lindelhof was going to be that player and got it wrong. Who knows, but expecting any manager to sign 1 player for every position in the team and for them to excel is just wrong, as it doesn't happen.

Garethw

Well in year 1 he won two cups and brought us to the Champions League. In year 2 he took us from 6th to 2nd and actually had our best points tally and goal difference since SAF. All whilst having Fellaini Herrera and Pogba out for 2 months each and Bailey out for long term ankle surgery (fair to say he's not been the same player since as yet).

So yeah, I think il stay loyal beyond 3 games this season to the manager who has undeniably progressed our results.
After £400 million of investment, I’d expect any manager in the world to make progress.

If you think that Mourinho has actually progressed our football then you are in the minority. This is up there with the very worst football I’ve seen in my supporting life.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
After £400 million of investment, I’d expect any manager in the world to make progress.

If you think that Mourinho has actually progressed our football then you are in the minority. This is up there with the very worst football I’ve seen in my supporting life.
He spent less than Conte and Pep and finished 2nd. I spoke of results and last season he was exactly where anyone would expect him to be. So yeah, he progressed. And he spent. He fecking had to with the shit he took over.

Jesse > Messi

So long time reader, first time poster to the Cafe, fully expected to see this thread here this morning however much I disagree. I do understand why, however I'm really unsure how the club should act going forward (we definitely need to expedite the signing of a director of football though).

I can understand the frustration and feel it myself, we are in the 3rd year of Mourinho's tenure at the club (the point in which he himself said it would be fair to judge him by) and it hasn't exactly gone smoothly to say the least. I do believe that the current atmosphere around the club is a mixture of problems which Mou hasn't helped but neither has the board by not backing him in the summer, certain stories in the media around players agents, and in general a hangup from last seasons disappointments.

I'm not saying spending another £70 mil on top of what we have would of solved all the woes we are facing now, however IMO not signing a new CB in the summer has seriously hindered our progress and that I don't think the mood would be quite so dire as we are facing now.

I do agree with the posts above that the players are evidently still behind the manager because what I watched in the first half didn't quite correspond with arriving at home and turning on the television to see spurs going 2-0 up, though defensive frailties were self evident in the first half.

Reactions: Sultan

N91

Two years is more than enough for any decent manager at any top club to build strong team/compete for big trophies. This is JM 3rd season and we are nowhere near challenging for anything and the performances hasn’t improved significantly. I’m not surprised because that’s what you get when you refuse to adapt to modern football.

Should he be sacked? Yes, Can’t see him changing what made him success for the most of his 18 years as a football manager.

Smores

Manchester United is not just a badge though is it, it's the manager and the playing staff at that time so this 'i support manchester united' line means bollocks. If you support the club you support our staff until it's evident they can't turn it around. If we applied your logic to players they'd be constantly out of the door, Lukaku has had a bad start let's get rid too?

3 games in and you're taking about salvaging the season, you must be a footballing genuis to predict the future

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think people are sadly misguided if they think sacking Mourinho is going to teach Jones how to defend, Lukaku how to put it in an empty net or any of the other litany of mistakes from players. He's brought Shaw back from the dead to being our starting LB, there's no reason he can't do it with others. I have faith he can galvanize the team, you can't deny the impact of the first half performance was down to him. There is work to be done, but it is what it is. the pendulum look to have swung the complete opposite way yesterday and he's having to find the balance, without a pre-season with most of his first team.

So long time reader, first time poster to the Cafe, fully expected to see this thread here this morning however much I disagree. I do understand why, however I'm really unsure how the club should act going forward (we definitely need to expedite the signing of a director of football though).

I can understand the frustration and feel it myself, we are in the 3rd year of Mourinho's tenure at the club (the point in which he himself said it would be fair to judge him by) and it hasn't exactly gone smoothly to say the least. I do believe that the current atmosphere around the club is a mixture of problems which Mou hasn't helped but neither has the board by not backing him in the summer, certain stories in the media around players agents, and in general a hangup from last seasons disappointments.

I'm not saying spending another £70 mil on top of what we have would of solved all the woes we are facing now, however IMO not signing a new CB in the summer has seriously hindered our progress and that I don't think the mood would be quite so dire as we are facing now.

I do agree with the posts above that the players are evidently still behind the manager because what I watched in the first half didn't quite correspond with arriving at home and turning on the television to see spurs going 2-0 up, though defensive frailties were self evident in the first half.
Welcome aboard. You've picked a hell of a time to start posting :D

klsv

He spent less than Conte and Pep and finished 2nd. I spoke of results and last season he was exactly where anyone would expect him to be. So yeah, he progressed. And he spent. He fecking had to with the shit he took over.
People don't want to understand how the market and the whole economy has changed. If you look at the amounts spent by teams such as Crystal Place, Fulham, Everton, Watford - they would have all challenged for the title 10 years ago. You got so much more for those amounts of money. Now clubs need to spend more and more to retain their place and excess if they wish to progress. Arsenal is an example of what happens when you don't adapt to the market and try to insist on paying the same sums we saw in mid 00's.

Garethw

Manchester United is not just a badge though is it, it's the manager and the playing staff at that time so this 'i support manchester united' line means bollocks. If you support the club you support our staff until it's evident they can't turn it around. If we applied your logic to players they'd be constantly out of the door, Lukaku has had a bad start let's get rid too?

3 games in and you're taking about salvaging the season, you must be a footballing genuis to predict the future
It doesn’t take a genius to see the road we are on with Mourinho in charge.

We are already six points behind Liverpool, Tottenham and Chelsea with just three games gone. With the way we play under Mourinho it’s going to take a miracle to catch them now.

Catching those teams is not at all impossible under the right manager. But ask yourself this, is Mourinho the right manager? I know what my answer is.

Jesse > Messi

Thanks Salus and for the help with my post, I will remember to paragraph them in future I'm still very new to forum posting.

I felt it was an appropriate time to get involved with the action, couldn't sit on the sidelines just reading any longer :D

drdoityourself

Refuse all you want it's the harsh truth, you're turning on a manager who just finished second because of a 3 game bad start. A manager the players are evidently still behind.

The first defence on here is always "its not just the exact reason this thread was created". It's boring and transparent.
Why cling on to that second place finish as a sole reason to keep him? Why not talk about what you see in his team that makes you support his management? Why ridicule those who don't share that opinion?

We didn't exactly challenge for the title as a second place finish would lead you to believe. City ran away with it.
Arsenal were awful, Chelsea likewise. Tottenham have under invested in their squad and didn't have home comforts of White Hart Lane. Liverpool prioritized CL in the end.
We finished second place but still there were serious question marks over this team.

His third season here, he still doesn't know his starting eleven, he still hasn't found a system, he tailors this big club around stopping the other team, evident in the abysmal performance in the CL against Sevilla, where the lack of attacking intent at Old Trafford was shocking.

He's spent a fortune and we still don't know what this team is. I understand that many fans are content and want to give him more time but what I don't understand is why those who feel differently have to be called inferior fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.