The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Just a hypothetical. To what extent do people think things would have been different if we signed a CB?.
I'd suggest the 3 results that have defined our season so far could have been avoided (conceding 3 each to Brighton, West Ham and Spurs). But at the same time Mourinho brought those 3 results on himself with bad selections (Mctominay and Herrera in back 3s). Even just the Spurs game we could be talking about being 1 point behind them rather than 7 and this thread wouldn't be so active.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Just a hypothetical. To what extent do people think things would have been different if we signed a CB?.
I don't think a new CB would have made a great deal of difference truth be told.

A new RW (namely Perisic) would have had more impact in my opinion. Attacks from our right flank are practically non-existent.

Skills

Snitch
I don't think a new CB would have made a great deal of difference truth be told.

A new RW (namely Perisic) would have had more impact in my opinion. Attacks from our right flank are practically non-existent.
Perisic is a LW and would've replaced our best attacker this season (Martial). The RW in question in Willian, a player not exactly known for his production.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I'd suggest the 3 results that have defined our season so far could have been avoided (conceding 3 each to Brighton, West Ham and Spurs). But at the same time Mourinho brought those 3 results on himself with bad selections (McTominay and Herrera in back 3s). Even just the Spurs game we could be talking about being 1 point behind them rather than 7 and this thread wouldn't be so active.
I think our midfield has been worse than our defense this season.

cheeky_backheel

I think our midfield has been worse than our defense this season.
The source of the midfield problem is the decline of Matic. A stronger defence would have helped compensate for it instead of the current arrangement of playing more midfielders in defensive roles.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The source of the midfield problem is the decline of Matic. A stronger defence would have helped compensate for it instead of the current arrangement of playing more midfielders in defensive roles.
I think most CBs would have struggled this season. Our midfield has done an awful job of stopping runners.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Perisic is a LW and would've replaced our best attacker this season (Martial). The RW in question in Willian, a player not exactly known for his production.
He's equally effective down both flanks to be fair, plus he is two-footed. He would have been a major upgrade on our current sub-standard options either way.

Mainoldo

He's equally effective down both flanks to be fair, plus he is two-footed. He would have been a major upgrade on our current sub-standard options either way.
Rather have Jesse Lingard under an attacking coach than blow £50m on Will I an. Good player but above average is an overstatement.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Rather have Jesse Lingard under an attacking coach than blow £50m on Will I an. Good player but above average is an overstatement.
I'd like to see our entire squad perform under an attacking coach, but we're stuck with the negative one for the time being. Jose has neglected the RW position for far too long now.

It's frustrating to watch Jesse perform so well for England under Southgate during the world cup, only to come home and perform like a championship player for United under Jose. Same could be said for all of our world cup attendees.

Sick to death of Jose and his bullshit.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
No silly, that's obviously because of our fitness coach(es)!
So, even our fitness coaches are underperforming?

The list of under performers are:

Head coach/manager
Coaches (attacking, defensive, fitness)
Physios
Players (excluding DDG)
Matt Judge (contract negotiator)
Scouts

Why is everybody at the club underperforming?
Is it possible that we are simply expecting too much from the people at our club?

Attacking football, with the right manager, the right coaching staff, attacking football and some astute transfer purchases who make a positive impact on our on-pitch performance?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Think defence would have been better but more importantly would have avoided the Mourinho tantrum and poor start. Not enough to be on top but should be comfortably 2 or 3.
Yep.
We gave up too many points to our rivals in the first 6 weeks or so. Now that we are a decent run, we are merely treading water with the top 4. The damage was done in those first 6 weeks.

haram

Apparantly every player under the sun would look better playing for anyone but Jose, but it is completely impossible that players like Perisic and Willian will look even better playing under Mourinho.

Some of you lot are shameless.

Xixak17

Apparantly every player under the sun would look better playing for anyone but Jose, but it is completely impossible that players like Perisic and Willian will look even better playing under Mourinho.

Name one player at United that has looked better under Jose than they did prior to Jose or in their previous team.

And don't say Shaw because he looked superb under LVG until he got hurt.

fellaini's barber

Well the fact that no single player,not one bloody single player we have performs better for Jose will make people think that

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I like that when our players speak out or act up, or do anything beyond the normal perimeters of professionalism, that’s usually their fault for being unprofessional arrogant millionaires who aren’t worthy of the shirt... it’s also definitely not the managers fault for failing to inspire or control his charges.

But when our manager throws a massive tantrum and sabotages our season to make petty points because he couldn’t sign a CB, that’s absolutely fine, and it’s probably the boards fault for not preventing it really.

Xixak17

Well the fact that no single player,not one bloody single player we have performs better for Jose will make people think that
I'm honestly getting sick and tired of debating with Mourinho's cult following. They won't ever accept that he's at fault.

Xixak17

I like that when our players speak out or act up, or do anything beyond the normal perimeters of professionalism, that’s usually their fault for being unprofessional arrogant millionaires who aren’t worthy of the shirt... it’s also definitely not the managers fault for failing to inspire or control his charges.

But when our manager throws a massive tantrum and sabotages our season to make petty points because he couldn’t sign a CB, that’s absolutely fine, and it’s probably the boards fault for not preventing it really.
It's impossible to reason with Jose supporters at this point.

As far as I'm concerned you're anti-United if you still want Jose here. He's damaging the club. There are three core principles we're supposed to have and he fulfills none of them.

1.) He doesn't play attacking football, instead cowers in fear defensively against the likes of Derby and Brighton

2.) He doesn't promote youth. Whines about not having good CBs but won't give a chance to a Tuanzebe or even a Fosu-Mensah or Dalot at RB.

3.) He doesn't even win anymore. That was supposed to be the one benefit. Forgo the other two principles in exchange for titles. But he has us in 8th, competing with the likes of Bournemouth and Watford for a Europa League spot.

Why would anyone who wants the club to succeed still want him here when he literally isn't doing any of the 3 most important things for United? Blind fealty to some past it manager who his supporters revere like a god or prophet. He has to go.

Canagel

I'm honestly getting sick and tired of debating with Mourinho's cult following. They won't ever accept that he's at fault.
There was also a section of Arsenal fans who were still backing Wenger even as late as last year .when the banners and protests began in early 2017 and fans who were openly opposed to Wenger got hurled with abuse on a regular basis.
You get people like this in every fan base. We could be here for another 10 years not winning the title and some would still find a way to defend the manager.

Shark

@NotShark
Yep.
We gave up too many points to our rivals in the first 6 weeks or so. Now that we are a decent run, we are merely treading water with the top 4. The damage was done in those first 6 weeks.
Although we probably won’t be mathematically out of the top four for a while yet, to me it already looks done. Absolutely no point to the rest of our league season because we’ve given ourselves too much to do. Being 10 points behind Liverpool alone in Novermber is a miserable and sackable offense and I do like Jose and want to to work. I’m just not blind or daft enough to realize that it just isn’t, and he needs to go asap now.

Last edited:

Mainoldo

I'd like to see our entire squad perform under an attacking coach, but we're stuck with the negative one for the time being. Jose has neglected the RW position for far too long now.

It's frustrating to watch Jesse perform so well for England under Southgate during the World Cup, only to come home and perform like a championship player for United under Jose. Same could be said for all of our World Cup attendees.

Sick to death of Jose and his bullshit.
Me too it makes poster believe any and everything is wrong with United from the board to the scouts to our dietary probably. Not saying the club is perfect but everything seems great when your winning. I mean they’ll tell you Juventus has the perfect model but never question why they still can’t win a CL after millions spent and consecutive domestic titles.

redIndianDevil

You've literally just ignored all the examples about players who were overbought and glossed it over with "Woody paid the asking price". Are you actually serious?

He royally fecked up with Herrera and ended up missing the buyout clause for Fellaini. He failed to negotiate Moratas price down when Chelsea seemed to do it quote easily. He somehow valued Di Maria at 2x Sanchez when they came to the Premier League.

None of these are asking prices. We are the only club stupid enough to pay stupid amounts. No one wanted Pogba for 89m that summer, no one wanted Di Maria for 60m that summer, no one wanted Lukaku for 75m, and so on.
How did all of a sudden Woodward became a football director? He doesn't choose players to sign, if we went after Di Maria it was probably because lvG wanted Di Maria and not Sanchez(who preferred a move to London anyway that's why he rejected LIverpool). Herrera I'm not sure what happened(the story was couple of people impersonated as people representing Manchester United and tried to buy him) but we did get him for his release clause(you have to pay the release clause at Bilbao, there is no negotiation). Moyes had no intention of signing Fellaini and was trying to sign Fabregas or Kroos IIRC, only after finding out that neither wanted to move, we went after Fellaini as a panic buy and by then so extra clause in his contract got triggered. All of these are down to manager incompetence, how does Woodward get the blame I have no idea.

redIndianDevil

I think it's time for the thread to officially renamed as "The Woodward thread - should he stay or go?" and start a new poll.

redIndianDevil

So many assumption being made here. It looked like we went for Skriniar and possibly Koulibaly in the summer and were unsuccessful (as well as Toby) then later in the summer it seemed we went for other targets Boateng, Maguire (he was not mentioned till after the World Cup) and Godin.

So maybe the real issue was our top targets were not attainable (Skrinair and Toby for example) and then the revised list later in the summer was not one everyone was comfortable with (e.g Maguire and Mina)

So again the blame isn't on one person its on everyone,

Ed couldn't get a deal done for Skrinair or Toby (you can blame him maybe but its not unreasonable to think that this may happen at times)

The scouts and Jose (for coming up with a revised set of options Maguire and Boateng were not good enough)

Ed for not being able to convince Godin to sign

The PL teams who voted for an early close to the window.

Not being able to sell deadwood falls on Ed you are right.

Ed isn't responsible for picking our transfer targets, for instance he isn't responsible for the fact we bought Fred who isn't even getting a game
I don't think Godin was ever interested in signing for us, his agent wanted a better contract at Atletico and used us in the media. Boateng called Mourinho personally and told him he had no intention of coming here. Skriniar I think gave an interview that he had just signed for the club and had no intention of moving that window.

The only attainable target was Alderweireld and we could still get him on the cheap. I have no idea how people have forgotten that Mourinho wanted to sign Yerry fecking Mina after all his bullshit about wanting an experienced defender who is good on the ball. Imagine how disastrous it would have been to sign a player not good enough for Everton.

redIndianDevil

As far as I'm concerned we're starting to get interested Skriniar for Jan. There were thoughts about Kouilbaly in summer but we didn't make any move. You don't know if a player is available or not till you make actual offer ( see Ronaldo or Neymar ), and considering us spending only 70m in the summer, I don't find any particular reasons for not coughing a 100m offer for Kouilbaly or something and see what will happen. He would have been worth the money. If we make a 100m offer, gets refused, or they ask for 200m, that's when we say "ok, we tried, we didn't save our money, no one to be blamed here" and we move on with our heads up.

I'm not sure why you're blaming PL teams for closing window early ? I mean pretty much only 2 teams suffered from it, us and Spurs, and that was even World Cup year. Everyone else prepared themselves for that outcome and finished what they wanted early. Surely if only 2 clubs suffered from it, it's their own problem, not the rest ?
Napoli owner did mention that he rejected a 100m bid from a club. Who knows maybe it was us.

redIndianDevil

The only shameless people are those who couldn't wait to shit on Martial after every game and now say that Mourinho has "improved" Martial now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I can't be fecked to reply to a bunch of posts adamant the manager and only the manager alone wanted every target we bought.

Jose was manager during so many great transfers, from Droba Essein to Milito and Sneijder. Him turning shit with transfers when joining a club that wasted feck loads of cash before him (and since Ed came into he role) is too coincidental to be ignored.

But hey, some posters are simple and just say "x manager wanted this player so there. You pay the asking price".

There are more blind defenders of Woodward than there are defenders of Jose.

fellaini's barber

I mean Ed is not perfect but it's just hilarious looking at all the shit he gets all in the name of defending an incompetent manager. Apart from City is there really any club who's ownership/board spend as much or give a manager as much of a free rein as ours? You have Jose's defenders now praising Liverpool and Arsenal board. Liverpool fans have been moaning about their ownership for years now and have been a laughing stock on here with their transfer committee before they got lucky with Klopp, a club who rely on selling their best players to get new ones is now better than ours. Arsenal board who had their fans protesting on the streets are now getting praise on here. Chelsea where Jose has never survived 3 seasons despite all he's done for them is getting praise here. Hell even the penny pinching Spurs are somehow better than our ownership now. Is there any Jose fan deluded enough to think Jose would even have $400m to piss away at most of these clubs in 3 seasons in the first place? Would Jose fare better with Fenway,Kroenke,Levy or Roman/Emenalo(already failed twice)? All Woody does is get the lists and go buy players,paying over the odds most of the time, and then just let the manager do literally whatever all season as long as you get top 4 but keeps getting all these crap thrown at him because of the failure of the people he appoints.

The man is incompetent at a lot of things concerning the running of the club,player contracts etc and I won't even mind if he's replaced someone else but when it comes to fully supporting and not meddling with managers I don't know what other clubs CEO I'd rather have if I were a manager, certainly not anyone else in England apart from City. The fact that he had to step in this summer to stop Jose from replacing our younger players with overpriced aging players means he's getting better at this,lets not forget he's been on this job for only like 6 years or so unlike the guys at all the other top clubs.

ZlatMan

'Utd fans' discussing if Mourinho is any worse than Moyes and LVG need to get their heads out of the sand. The man has won three trophies in his first year then 2nd place and a FA Cup final in his second. The fact that he got literally the same team as now to finish above Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs is a minor miracle. The real villain is Woodward who has gone through three managers and still got no improvement. If he isn't going to back Jose in Jan, we might finish outside the top ten depending on how much we rely on Pogba and Martial.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Ed (not Mourinho) is responsible for signing Lukaku for 75-90m. It was Ed who negotiated and decided that it was worth it to spend that amount of money on Lukaku.

Ed is not just rubber stamping Mourinho's requests. He decides which he fulfills and which he doesnt.
Mindboggling logic. Mourinho wanted the player, but it's not his fault.

:lol: I'm out this time for sure. Really got headache reading so much nonsense.

Using that shit logic, every deal is possible. Even signing Messi.

Like I said fantasy or lunatic world.
It's complete and utter nonsense. The manager wants a player, yet it's not his fault b/c he didn't negotiate the deals. You can't make this stuff up.

Aloysius's Back 3

It's complete and utter nonsense. The manager wants a player, yet it's not his fault b/c he didn't negotiate the deals. You can't make this stuff up.
I know right - can you imagine what would have happened if Woodward had told Jose that players like Lukaku were not worth the 60-80 odd million & for him to use the strikers that are available at United already :drool:

Oh yeah that's exactly what happened this summer with the aging retiring CB that Jose wants for work experience sake.

So when Woodward pays for a player that is not worth the money it's his fault & not Jose's faults - when Woodward tells Jose that the player is overpriced or overrated then he is also at fault.looks like Jose can make no mistakes here - how bizzare. :smirk:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Jose was manager during so many great transfers, from Droba Essein to Milito and Sneijder. Him turning shit with transfers when joining a club that wasted feck loads of cash before him (and since Ed came into he role) is too coincidental to be ignored.
What about selling Salah and KDB? Juan Cuadrado, Filipe Luís, and André Schürrle? I assuming he gets to ignore the transfers that didn't work out.

cheeky_backheel

what
Mourinho wants Lukaku , Ed pays 75-90m
Mourinho wants Toby, Ed doesnt pay 70m

The only difference between both scenarios is Ed's choice, not whether Mourinho wanted the player or not.

This is not mind boggling, unless you can't comprehend simple english and/or follow basic logic

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
So when Woodward pays for a player that is not worth the money it's his fault & not Jose's faults - when Woodward tells Jose that the player is overpriced or overrated then he is also at fault.looks like Jose can make no mistakes here - how bizzare. :smirk:
Like I said previously, these aren't good faith arguments. These are arguments designed to absolve him of any blame in the name of being "right". Ed Woodward is the current scapegoat, if leaves it will be Pogba, Martial, the board, or whoever the next easy target is.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
what

The only difference between both scenarios is Ed's choice, not whether Mourinho wanted the player or not.

This is not mind boggling, unless you can't comprehend simple english and/or follow basic logic
You're going off on a tanget like ususal. Who's fault is it Lukaku hasn't worked out, the manager who wanted him or the CEO who sanctioned the deal? It's a very simple question that requires a simple answer.

Quit burying your head in the sand.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
'Utd fans' discussing if Mourinho is any worse than Moyes and LVG need to get their heads out of the sand. The man has won three trophies in his first year then 2nd place and a FA Cup final in his second. The fact that he got literally the same team as now to finish above Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs is a minor miracle. The real villain is Woodward who has gone through three managers and still got no improvement. If he isn't going to back Jose in Jan, we might finish outside the top ten depending on how much we rely on Pogba and Martial.
I see 3 managers and 3 failures, nothing more nothing less.

You can argue until you're blue in the face over which of the 3 performed best in the role, but it will not change the fact that the club has not progressed one iota since Fergie retired. It has regressed if anything, much to the frustration of everyone associated with the club.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
what

Toby hasn't performed anywhere close to that of £70 million player this season. Does that vindicate him?

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Got a question for @VP89 and @cheeky_backheel do you think any of LVG or Moyes's signings where 'Woodward/board/scout' signings?
Herrera and Shaw were definitely club signings imo. We had been scouting Herrera since we played Bilbao in the EL under Fergie and iirc there was a story about Fergie recommending him to Moyes then we obviously failed to sign him on deadline day before settling for Fellaini. Shaw was linked with us throughout the Moyes season and was signed before LvG took charge.

RocK3T

(Manchester) 'Pele called me the greatest football
Every once in a while someone who hasn't had the pleasure engages one or some of the 4 Jose horsemen in here, argue in circles for several pages before they realise these guys are either on a wum or too far up Jose's ass to have rational discussion with, give up, then someone else takes the bait...rinse and repeat last few pages of this thread
"Jose Horsemen" FFS :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.