The Mourinho Thread: Should he stay or go? | Sacked

Is Mourinho’s time as United manager up?

• Yes

Votes: 2,296 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 293 9.8%
  • Not yet - needs more time to see if he can turn it around

Votes: 388 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It's not a nice accusation but I think that they are being dishonest, I don't know if it's on purpose or not but when Keane compares City's and Liverpool's spending, when he pretends that Mourinho hasn't been backed he is just lying. Mourinho has been backed but when you compare the signings that Guardiola made for the first XI most have been successful, same thing with Klopp. The issue with Mourinho is that his signings have mainly added nothing, Pogba is the only player that has contributed to a relatively high standard and even then we can all say a bad thing or two about him.

It's easy to say that Mourinho should be backed and his signings should be moved on, but you need to find someone willing to take them off your hands and if you don't get your money back you are spending a shameful amount of money that you don't even have.
Agreed but what is their agenda - what is going on here?

Or is it just Fergie greatness masked just how thick his side really were.

Balerion

I now accept that it is time for a change. There is no signs of any improvement and nothing he has tried has had any affect.

However, what I find so frustrating is that Jose Mourinho not only is a top manager but he has had great success at every other club.

He will be successful I am sure at whatever club he next leads.

The current situation at OT has now gone beyond his ability to fix so yes it is time to change. Deep down I believe he knows this as he seemed very relaxed during yesterday's post match press conference.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

I see people wishing for a loss to Cardiff. :houllier: I'd prefer if Jose and the board could find a way to turn things around somehow... and if they can't, then should part ways and we'll go back to square one.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
In the last 30 seasons we've only had less points after 17 games once before. That was in Sir Alexs 4th Season in charge (89-90) when we had 21 points after 17 games. Our average points total in that 30 year period is 34 points. Our highest points total in that 30 season period was 44 points back in 06-07 and 93-94.

Bottom 5 Seasons:
01-02 ¦ 27 points
92-93 ¦ 27 points
18-19 ¦ 26 points
90-91 ¦ 26 points
89-90 ¦ 21 points

laughtersassassin

I see people wishing for a loss to Cardiff. :houllier: I'd prefer if Jose and the board could find a way to turn things around somehow... and if they can't, then should part ways and we'll go back to square one.
Mate its past finding a way to turn things around. Firstly he can't. Secondly, someone as toxic as him doesn't deserve too. He has tried a million things and has come up short. Now he keeps our best outfielder on the bench while we are losing as a point to embarrass him. Even Neville said he is letting his personal vendetta get in the way of what's best for Manchester United.

He failed. the board gave him enough to do much better than he is doing and that is a FACT.

Suv666

I truly believe if we sack him today we will knock out PSG.
Folks on twitter saying the Utd social media accounts are very quiet. Might be gearing up for Jose sacked news! Wouldnt hold my breath though.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Folks on twitter saying the Utd social media accounts are very quiet. Might be gearing up for Jose sacked news! Wouldnt hold my breath though.
Each post they make is littered with demands for Mourinho's head. They are simply aware fans don't want any of their bullshit posts.

red4ever 79

Nah the social media blackout is because Phil Jones is currently having his picture taking for the announcement of his new 5 year contract in an attempt to appease the fans after yesterday's shi* show

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
What bother me the most about the current Mouhrino is the complete lack of any sort of direction, plan or philosophy. His old Madrid/Chelsea/Inter sides used to be rock solid in defense and lethal on the counter so what the feck happened? Did he become senile and forgot how to set up a counter attacking team? Despite him moaning about not getting the signings he want he has had 5 windows and A LOT of available funds to get what he needed so why the hell have he not bought the players he so desperately needs?

I wonder what the hell they are doing at Carrington because the defensive organization is a nightmare and our attacking plan seems to be "hoof it and see what happens"

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Some so called United supporters have a very strange idea of what it is to support your club and despite their dislike of Jose no one should want their team to loose.

Despite my feelings for the way things have gone so badly wrong this season I desperately want them to win every game and nothing will change that.

ZlatMan

What bother me the most about the current Mouhrino is the complete lack of any sort of direction, plan or philosophy. His old Madrid/Chelsea/Inter sides used to be rock solid in defense and lethal on the counter so what the feck happened? Did he become senile and forgot how to set up a counter attacking team? Despite him moaning about not getting the signings he want he has had 5 windows and A LOT of available funds to get what he needed so why the hell have he not bought the players he so desperately needs?

I wonder what the hell they are doing at Carrington because the defensive organization is a nightmare and our attacking plan seems to be "hoof it and see what happens"
Have you forgotten we had the best defence just last season? I dunno what's going on but clearly the players are having issues with him otherwise we wouldn't be struggling this badly.

Giggsyking

The only way Mourinho can kick PSG out of the UCL, is if he is their manager by that time.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Some so called United supporters have a very strange idea of what it is to support your club and despite their dislike of Jose no one should want their team to loose.

Despite my feelings for the way things have gone so badly wrong this season I desperately want them to win every game and nothing will change that.
Mourinho has destroyed football for me right now.

I am no longer happy seeing us win as it means another respite for that old dinosaur. Another win means another match of boring Mourinho football. It's awful I Feel this way, but it's the truth.

I hope he's gone ASAP so I can get back to enjoying us play again, enjoying and hoping we win every game. It started with Newcastle, I should have been over the moon with our comeback, but In the end it felt like a stab in the back.

You may not agree and that's fine, but I feel it's a necessary evil for us lose every game until it's unrepairable for Mourinho to go.

Becks-7-

Supports
United & Eintracht Frankfurt
With a different manager we could have a chance against PSG. That should be motivation enough to act now!

dove

Just like with LVG, I am not even mad at Jose anymore. It's not his fault he is still our manager. It's up to our inept board to make this decision. During Ed's reign we transformed from the football giant to a laughing stock where every team just can't wait to play us for easy 3 points.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Mourinho has destroyed football for me right now.

I am no longer happy seeing us win as it means another respite for that old dinosaur. Another win means another match of boring Mourinho football. It's awful I Feel this way, but it's the truth.

I hope he's gone ASAP so I can get back to enjoying us play again, enjoying and hoping we win every game. It started with Newcastle, I should have been over the moon with our comeback, but In the end it felt like a stab in the back.

You may not agree and that's fine, but I feel it's a necessary evil for us lose every game until it's unrepairable for Mourinho to go.
Well at least you are being honest and despite what I think, your views are to an extent understandable.

As a life long United supporter it is tragic that it has got to this and me being honest now, I really do feel for Jose. He is a human being and must be hating the way things have turned out. The pressure must be draining.

Canagel

I'm just sick and tired of playing like a small club. Today the CL draw was made and I had no optimism even if it's PSG. We're supposed to be a big club, start acting like one both on and off the pitch

RedorDead21

This image is gut wrenching.

Two ex-juggernauts of the club watching the empire they worked so hard to build crumbling before their very eyes.

:(
In fairness when they both left together they must have known it made things far more difficult for the club. If it was staggered at all it would have helped. I'd love Gill to come back in.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Ed's trolling us now. Must be his revenge for that plane banner:(
Can't believe they're not getting rid of him. Surely he's lost the whole dressing room now?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well at least you are being honest and despite what I think, your views are to an extent understandable.

As a life long United supporter it is tragic that it has got to this and me being honest now, I really do feel for Jose. He is a human being and must be hating the way things have turned out. The pressure must be draining.
I think we're all suffering for different reasons. When Jose joined I really thought things were going to change. I can't understand how things have gone so backwards since last January.

The pressure is big, but he creates so much of it himself. His stupid comments in press conferences, his antics before and after matches.

This United side genuinely play some of the worst football I've ever seen. We only get through matches with individual quality, and that's now been found out.

Liverpool aren't much better than us man for man, but as a team they're a whole next level.

Irrational.

In fairness when they both left together they must have known it made things far more difficult for the club. If it was staggered at all it would have helped. I'd love Gill to come back in.
True. They brought unbelievable stability to the club. Having them both leave one after the other didn't really give us a chance.

johanovic

This image is gut wrenching.

Two ex-juggernauts of the club watching the empire they worked so hard to build crumbling before their very eyes.

:(
I will try to read their minds: Sir Alex is thinking how on earth did Darth Vader steal my club and Mr Gill is thinking he should never have let Scrooge McDuck have the keys to the safe. If there is one thing I need for Christmas it´s Mourinho out. My reaction would be similar to this:

midnightmare

It's the most bizarre setup imaginable. In most professions, you'd see a person this poor actually hand in his papers and walk - to retain whatever is left of his dignity. In most self-respecting clubs, you'd see them sack the guy to retain what's left of their image. Yet, we persist. We continue to give Mou a platform to diss the club and its players week-in, week-out from his position as the Manager of the club. I can't understand it. If I were to release a statement to the media saying that I had no faith in the consultants that were working under me, I'd be sacked without a thought, regardless of what my personal ratings were and how right I were. This, I blame the Board and Ed for. Jose is toxic and must go. Everyone and his dog (mad or otherwise) can see that, but we continue to have him here, making every fan miserable. Unbelievable.

SteveW

I'm just sick and tired of playing like a small club. Today the CL draw was made and I had no optimism even if it's PSG. We're supposed to be a big club, start acting like one both on and off the pitch
It's sickening. We should have seen it coming. Jose has never cared about the football.

He'd park the bus and launch to Fellaini or the last 10 minutes every game if he thought it would get the wins. And I honestly think he'd get more pleasure out of winning that way than by building a team to play great football. He couldn't be more wrong for this club.

Robbie Boy

Two pieces from F365 in the losers section:

Manchester United
At any other elite club, Mourinho would be out. Real Madrid started the season appallingly and Julen Lopetegui was asked to clear his desk. Such wanton underperformance and lack of hope that sunshine will follow the storm only ever ends this way.

But not at Manchester United, and not because of some vague notion that the club stands against the immediacy of modern life or is run by any higher principles, but because incompetence reigns over this fiefdom. Woodward has all the inspirational qualities of a hastily written leaving card. The only plan is to have no plan, save bumbling along and desperately hoping that at some point FIFA decree that sponsorship revenue can be converted into points.

Mourinho will be sacked, but only when a Champions League place is mathematically out of reach and so United can avoid giving him his full pay-off; David Moyes and Louis van Gaal suffered the same fate. But doesn’t that just sum up Manchester United perfectly, waiting until crisis point is reached rather than proactively making changes to avoid it? The only place where on-pitch passivity can be equalled at Old Traffod is in the boardroom.
Jose Mourinho
Embarrassing and humiliating, and neither term is in any way hyperbolic. Before Sunday, the most shots Liverpool had managed in a Premier League game this season was 22 – they beat that total by 14. It was the most shots Manchester United had allowed in a Premier League match sine Opta started collecting such data in 2003/04. If a 3-1 result and scoreline that was in the balance until the final 20 minutes suggests some degree of parity, that presents an inaccurate picture for those who did not watch the game.

The worst fears of Manchester United supporters were wholly realised. Their team never tried to win the match at Anfield, instead sitting deep and launching long balls forward that were at best hopeful and at worst aimless. Jose Mourinho has managed expectations down to the point that some supporters have alleviated him of some responsibility for making the mess, but no reasonable fan could be proud of that performance. United were so passive that there were signs of rigor mortis visible to the naked eye.

It is a message that needs repeating, because plenty disagree with it: This is not a bad group of players. It is not an ideal squad, of course, but then nor is Tottenham’s or Chelsea’s. Most of this squad have succeeded at Manchester United or elsewhere before joining them. Paul Pogba won the World Cup in the summer. Romelu Lukaku and Victor Lindelof excelled at the same tournament. Marcus Rashford is one of England’s brightest young lights. Eric Bailly, Nemanja Matic and Fred excelled enough at previous clubs to persuade Mourinho to part with more than £110m for them.

The squad was also good enough to win five of its first six matches last season to initially keep pace with Manchester City, and beat each of the top six in at least one league game in 2017/18. They have not all lost their ability.

But all of them succeeded outside a toxic environment and within a consistent system that helped them flourish. They are a group devoid of confidence, made miserable by their habitat. And the responsibility for that lies with the manager. If one or two key players were in abject form, it would be on them. If every member of the squad is, it suggests that the system itself is broken. Mourinho’s man-management has not worked. His constant tinkering with formations and personnel has not worked. His siege mentality has not worked. Nothing is working.

To those who believe few managers could do better: We have seen this before. In 2015/16, Mourinho took the league champions deep into the bottom half before being sacked because he lost the respect of those players with a series of strategies that no longer worked. On commentary on Sunday, Gary Neville said that United do not possess a midfielder who can pass it ten yards. That’s nonsense, just like it was nonsense that Chelsea’s players turned lame over the course of a summer. Great management is about fostering a spirit that spurs a team on to succeed. Those teams have organisation, fluency and discipline. Manchester United are nought from three. They are taking the lead from their manager.

Mourinho may well consider that he has been short-changed by those above him, but that does not excuse the piffling output that has the club with the highest wage bill in the country 19 points behind the leaders and closer in points to 14th than fourth. Even his expectation management cannot deflect the tidal wave of criticism that Sunday’s performance will and should bring. If the flak feels more fierce than with other managers, that is because Mourinho long demanded to be judged in those terms and was quicker than most to label others as failures.

djembatheking

He wants to be sacked , he has got his excuses in already , done his self preservation so the sooner he is paid off the better so he can still say he would have got top 4 . The Glazers/Woodward know it but don`t want him in control and getting his big pay off . He won`t fall on his sword and he won`t give them a reason to remove him without pay off so he is going through the motions . Jose doesn`t care about the club , the owners only care about money so the fans , players , team are stuck in the middle being hung out to dry . Expect some odd line ups in the coming weeks while he rotates over the christmas period . In fact he probably wants to go before then so he can spend Chrimbo with his family .

Status
Not open for further replies.